PDA

View Full Version : Women's bracketology-Why not a #1?

ouradu
3/11/2006, 02:04 PM
I don't follow women's bball very well, but I find it really hard to believe, if we win tonight, that we shouldn't be a #1 seed. With the quality of the Big XII, going 19-0, and clearly improving over the season, how could this team not be a #1 seed? If this were men's basketball they would be, I would think.

But, with that aside, a 3 seed????? What the crap is that? I really don't understand women's basketball I guess. Please, educate me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology

Okieflyer
3/11/2006, 02:12 PM
Well I can understand not getting 1 seed, because no team is losing that is ranked above them in the rankings. But a 3 seed? No way. Especially if they win tonight.

Salt City Sooner
3/11/2006, 02:16 PM
Pretty simple:

1. The Big 12 is down this year in most people's eyes. I think if either Tech or the 'horns had been any good, this would not be the case, but as is, they both hovered around the .500 mark this year (Tech finished 15-14, UT was 13-15). Unless Tech gets a miracle bid due to Sharp's resignation, which is highly unlikely, the league will only get 4 teams in the Dance, which is a significant drop from recent years.

2. Except for a couple of wins at current #20 New Mexico, OU has beaten nobody ranked out of conference. They've lost vs. Ohio St. (a good game, but still a loss), got blown out at Uconn & in Norman vs. Michigan St. (both 20 point losses), & got whipped @ Illinois, who is 15-14. Running the table in the league is an awesome feat to be sure, but who you've beaten OOC carries a LOT of weight as well.

ouradu
3/11/2006, 02:32 PM
Pretty simple:

1. The Big 12 is down this year in most people's eyes. I think if either Tech or the 'horns had been any good, this would not be the case, but as is, they both hovered around the .500 mark this year (Tech finished 15-14, UT was 13-15). Unless Tech gets a miracle bid due to Sharp's resignation, which is highly unlikely, the league will only get 4 teams in the Dance, which is a significant drop from recent years.

2. Except for a couple of wins at current #20 New Mexico, OU has beaten nobody ranked out of conference. They've lost vs. Ohio St. (a good game, but still a loss), got blown out at Uconn & in Norman vs. Michigan St. (both 20 point losses), & got whipped @ Illinois, who is 15-14. Running the table in the league is an awesome feat to be sure, but who you've beaten OOC carries a LOT of weight as well.

I understand point 1, but point 2 this team is way better than the team that went and lost at Connecticut. I do understand not being a 1 seed, actually, although running the table even in a down big 12, is still impressive enough to warrant no less than a 2 seed. Come on, three (potentially) wins against the defending champion, down or not, 19-0 in this conference coupled with a decent OOC record, with wins vs #20 and only losses against current #2, #7, #17 and a bad loss against Illinois, warrants a 2 seed at worst.

TopDaugIn2000
3/11/2006, 02:37 PM
I'd rather be a really strong 2 seed than a weak 1 seed (and our pre-christmas performance doesn't warrant a 1 seed). I think we'll get the 2. However, if we do end up with a 3, we have something to prove, which is to OUr advantage.

Salt City Sooner
3/11/2006, 02:49 PM
I understand point 1, but point 2 this team is way better than the team that went and lost at Connecticut. I do understand not being a 1 seed, actually, although running the table even in a down big 12, is still impressive enough to warrant no less than a 2 seed. Come on, three (potentially) wins against the defending champion, down or not, 19-0 in this conference coupled with a decent OOC record, with wins vs #20 and only losses against current #2, #7, #17 and a bad loss against Illinois, warrants a 2 seed at worst.
I'm on your side. I think we deserve a 2 myself, but the fact is that when the 2 teams met, UConn kicked OU to the curb, plain & simple, as did MSU at the LNC. You (the committee) have to deal with what happened (i.e. OU got blown out), rather than what you THINK would happen now (OU giving them a better game).

ouradu
3/11/2006, 02:53 PM
I'm on your side. I think we deserve a 2 myself, but the fact is that when the 2 teams met, UConn kicked OU to the curb, plain & simple, as did MSU at the LNC. You (the committee) have to deal with what happened (i.e. OU got blown out), rather than what you THINK would happen now (OU giving them a better game).
although how mnay times on the mens side do we hear that the committee decides based on the current team i.e. injuries, last ten games, etc.

NormanPride
3/11/2006, 04:27 PM
four losses! we are the highest ranked of the teams with four loses! you just can't put us ahead of other teams with less losses, especially when they're the ones who have beat us, heh

AllAboutThe'O'
3/12/2006, 01:50 AM
I must ask, in light of our recent glory, how in the sam heck did we lose to Illinois and Michigan State in the span of less than a week?

SnappyDaze
3/12/2006, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to be a #1 seed. The National Champion last year was a 2 seed. I believe the team that went to the big dance with Stacey Dales Schuman was a 2 seed too. Being a 2 seed isn't insulting...being a 3 seed would be.

Cam
3/12/2006, 10:32 AM
No shame in a 2 seed at all, I think we've earned it.

I'd almost rather have a 3 seed so that the gals feel insulted and have a chip on their shoulders to prove themselves worthy.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/12/2006, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to be a #1 seed. The National Champion last year was a 2 seed. I believe the team that went to the big dance with Stacey Dales Schuman was a 2 seed too. Being a 2 seed isn't insulting...being a 3 seed would be.
No, OU was a 1 seed the year they went to the national finals. They were the second-best team in the country behind UConn pretty much the whole season.

Salt City Sooner
3/13/2006, 02:14 AM
No, OU was a 1 seed the year they went to the national finals. They were the second-best team in the country behind UConn pretty much the whole season.
That was just bad timing too, because that was hands down UConn's best ever team. They led OU by 12 at the half, & ended up winning by that same margin, 82-70. That 2nd half is the ONLY half of basketball that UConn did not win for that ENTIRE year. In the following WNBA draft, 3 of the first 4 picks were off that Husky team, with the only interruption being Stacey at #3.

RacerX
3/13/2006, 07:22 AM
I must ask, in light of our recent glory, how in the sam heck did we lose to Illinois and Michigan State in the span of less than a week?
Paris Twins = True Freshmen

Took some time for the team to gel.

ouradu
3/13/2006, 10:19 AM
four losses! we are the highest ranked of the teams with four loses! you just can't put us ahead of other teams with less losses, especially when they're the ones who have beat us, heh
I don't know what you're talking about. Tennessee has 4 losses and they are projected as a #1 seed.

Nonetheless, we should be a 2 seed and think that's what will happen. However, I don't think a 1 seed should be out of the question. We should be considered.

#1 SOONER FAN
3/13/2006, 11:10 AM
They girls are playing excellent ball right now, they'll do fine, no matter what there seed is.

Ruuuuuufus
3/13/2006, 11:56 AM
I don't know what you're talking about. Tennessee has 4 losses and they are projected as a #1 seed.

Nonetheless, we should be a 2 seed and think that's what will happen. However, I don't think a 1 seed should be out of the question. We should be considered.

Tennessee also had what was probably the hardest schedule in the NCAA.

ouradu
3/13/2006, 12:00 PM
Tennessee also had what was probably the hardest schedule in the NCAA.
But the argument was that we were the highest ranked(potentially seeded) 4-loss team, and that's just not the case.

Ruuuuuufus
3/13/2006, 12:11 PM
But the argument was that we were the highest ranked(potentially seeded) 4-loss team, and that's just not the case.

exactly. If we had beat Illinois we'd be in solid position for one of the middle 2 seeds. As it is now we're pretty much locked into the #8 or 9 spot overall in the Cleveland bracket with UNC.

If that's going to be the case, which I think it will be, I'd rather see us get the #3 seed. If we're a 2 seed we're looking at a probable second round matchup with Vanderbilt on their home court in Nashville. If we're the 3 seed we're looking at a second round matchup with UCLA, who we already beat this year, in Chicago.