PDA

View Full Version : Cingular Cell Phones

OUTromBoNado
3/11/2006, 01:37 AM
I'm still running on an old AT&T plan from 3 years ago, and I'm looking to upgrade and get a new phone. I think I've got my choices narrowed down to the Motorola V557 and the RAZR. I know people have issues with Moto flips, but those are the only two phones that have the two features I need the most (Bluetooth and available external antenna jack/cable).

Anyone have any experience with these phones? Gripes? Likes? General comments? There seems to be some pretty tech savy hillbillies around this here board, so I'd thought someone might have something to say.

chriscappel
3/11/2006, 01:43 AM
RAZR sux! I had one for a month then sold it on ebay....recreption was the main problem

OU-HSV
3/11/2006, 01:48 AM
All I can tell ya is my best buddy in Tulsa just changed from Sprint to Cingular because the sprint service w/his phone really sucked he said. So far he's pretty pleased w/Cingular.

SCOUT
3/11/2006, 01:59 AM
I have a Cingular Treo 650 and I absolutely love it. It is the first phone I have ever had that I appreciate more and more.

I would give it 4.75 stars out of 5

soonerboomer93
3/11/2006, 03:27 AM
I won't complain about my razr, not problems with it

OUTromBoNado
3/11/2006, 03:53 AM
I've read a lot of reviews where people say the RAZR has serious reception problems. So, I'm looking for so info on that (I know it depends on area your location).

I was looking at the Z520a, but it doesn't have the external antenna jack. I need the external antenna because I'm out in the boonies at lot and often that antenna makes just enough difference to getting a call out.

Okla-homey
3/11/2006, 07:50 AM
I've got Cingular and a Nokia phone. I've had Motorola flips and you nailed it. Reception sux comparitively speaking. Not just in the boondocks either. My Nokia manages a strong signal inside buildings where people with other phones have to go outside or upstairs or something.

trwxxa
3/11/2006, 08:37 AM
No problems, so far, with the V557. I do not use it enough to warrant a bluetooth set.

I've had Cingular for years and I can not remember the last time I have had a service issue (knock on wood).

mrowl
3/11/2006, 09:38 AM
no reception problems with my RAZR.

TopDaugIn2000
3/11/2006, 09:41 AM
I read this yesterday, says Cingular and T-Mobile have stopped selling the RAZR due to dropped calls.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11765139/

JohnnyMack
3/11/2006, 09:46 AM
I got my razor in July and it's been the best phone I've ever owned up until a month ago. And it has nothing to do with reception/dropped calls. My phone locks up, freezes, slams shut, whatever you wanna call it when you're in the text message screen and/or the address book. Cingular mailed me a replacement (free of charge of course) on Tuesday.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/11/2006, 09:58 AM
I have a sprint treo 600 and my wife has a cingular treo 650. We live in Norman and don't have any problems with reception.

The good thing about cingular over sprint is that we always know when a call is coming in because all the speakers in the house/car start going "dee dee dee dee dee dee dee dee" when she gets a call or text message coming in. Apparently it's the GSM.

mrowl
3/11/2006, 10:00 AM
I read this yesterday, says Cingular and T-Mobile have stopped selling the RAZR due to dropped calls.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11765139/

but thats only a number of phones built in a certain time frame. Not ALL of them.

TopDaugIn2000
3/11/2006, 10:04 AM
yes, I understand that. I just read it yesterday and thought I'd share. Might have problems getting a RAZR from Cingular right this minute, cause apparently they stopped selling them for now. Just sayin.

ChickSoonerFan
3/11/2006, 10:13 AM
I have a NOKIA flip phone through cingular, not sure which model...but I can hardly hear out of it sometimes. The volume is up all the way. And it is NOT my old age. As for cingular, I like them. No problems with the service, just the phone I have sucks.

:)

Skysooner
3/11/2006, 03:37 PM
Good information here. I have a Motorola flip from Cingular, and I can't hear out of it much at all. I get a new phone cheap in about 2 months and then I'll be changing.

jeremy885
3/11/2006, 03:44 PM
I have a RAZR and haven't had a problem with it since I bought it in October. The reception seems to be similiar to the other cell phones I've used.

BoogercountySooner
3/11/2006, 06:08 PM
I have a Nokia 6230 with blue tooth and it is awesome!! Cingular and Nokia Rock in NW Arkansas!

soonerboomer93
3/11/2006, 06:20 PM
I think the drops depend on your provider. I had 2 different phones with t-mobile and would always get drops while on them. Switched to cingular (and a razr) and haven't had drops since. I've never had drop problems with my razr.

Skysooner
3/27/2006, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Sony Ericsson W600i? I like most of the features. I rarely am in a place without good cell connections. I also am not big into needing to receive e-mail. I mostly work at my desk and when I'm on the road (not often) most questions are best answered via talk anyway. If/when I have to travel more, my company will buy me a Blackberry.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/27/2006, 03:14 PM
siemens s65 = drop city.

Jimminy Crimson
3/27/2006, 03:30 PM
I've been with Southwestern Bell Wireless, SBC, and now Cingular for 10 years or so. Never a problem.

I'd stay away from SonyEricsson and Siemens phones, if you can.

I recommend the Motorola phones. I have two, including the RAZR, and the reception is great. Looking forward to buying the Motorola PDA thingamajig.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/27/2006, 03:32 PM
I just got a new one - trying to get the stupid thing all changed over.

I'll let you guys know if it sucks.

Oh - nevermind. I ain't got Cingular. Durrrrr....

OU4LIFE
3/27/2006, 03:33 PM
Friend has the V557, and has had it since they came out....it's been pretty bulletproof for him. FWIW.

Mjcpr
3/27/2006, 03:34 PM
We still have this one because I'm not getting scammed into changing to a Cingular plan. :O

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/svboulby/2004/11/22/cell-phone-nokia.jpg

boomersooner28
3/27/2006, 03:34 PM
I miss

http://www.concentric.net/~Campagna/4500mobilehandset.jpg

:D

OUAndy1807
3/27/2006, 06:07 PM
I have had 3 motorola flip phones and a multitude of nokia phones. I'm hard on my phones, but every motorola flip phone before the razor was toast very quickly. The razor has held up a year, which is about what my phones are usually good for. For a tough phone, you can't beat the nokias. For those of you with reception problems, it helps tremendously if you hold the phone near the mouthpiece. The antenna is up by the fold in the phone and if you put your hand there it hurts reception (or so I've heard, could be completely wrong.)

My biggest bitch about the razor is the fact that I was in a meeting the other day and every old fart in there had one. I'll be getting a 650 very soon.

OUTromBoNado
3/27/2006, 08:36 PM
I just got 2 Moto 557's...one for me and one for my dad. Free after rebates. I'll use the rebates to buy a Bluetooth headset for driving. I need that when storm chasing. My mom got the Sony Ericcsson z520a. It was free and I've read good reviews about audio quality and reception.

I think the phones will get to us tomorrow.