PDA

View Full Version : Talent

kc sooner
3/11/2006, 12:34 AM
There is a huge lack of it at Oklahoma. Most teams have more talented basketball players- I don't know how we won 20 games. It's also amazing to watch us not even be able to get it shots sometimes, so many pathetic turnovers. I'll just say hopefully next year will be bettler cause there's probably only one more game left this year.

OUstud
3/11/2006, 12:36 AM
Talent isn't the problem...

Soonerus
3/11/2006, 12:37 AM
So many teams have so many more NBA players...Kelvin must be good...

KABOOKIE
3/11/2006, 12:39 AM
but not that good...........

JohnnyMack
3/11/2006, 12:43 AM
I'm not 100% convinced it's a lack of talent. Not 100% I say.

Soonerus
3/11/2006, 12:46 AM
Iowa State has more active NBA players than OU....

kc sooner
3/11/2006, 12:49 AM
It just seems to me we have one guy who can creat his own shot and other teams seem to have at least a couple of guys who can do that. Also, I actually think Nate Carter could, but he doesn't get the chance to play enough and if he does one thing wrong he's back on the bench.

Soonerus
3/11/2006, 12:50 AM
We need more creat-ing...

NormanPride
3/11/2006, 12:55 AM
Anyone else see that Nebraska was about 1.5x as fast as we were?

Soonerus
3/11/2006, 12:57 AM
Let's be honest, Nebraska sucks...not fast not nothing...

NormanPride
3/11/2006, 12:58 AM
I'm not saying they were good. I'm just saying they were faster than we were. I think it's because we were tired from practice, but who knows...

Maybe Kelvin is working this team too hard? :confused:

kc sooner
3/11/2006, 12:59 AM
Nebraska does suck, but I still say they have as much talent as OU- it's not like we would ever beat them by 20 points. I bet if we played them 10 times it would be about 5-5.

CtheB
3/11/2006, 01:00 AM
I don't think there's enough room on Kelvin's podium to have too much talent in the program.

Soonerus
3/11/2006, 01:02 AM
Nebraska does suck, but I still say they have as much talent as OU- it's not like we would ever beat them by 20 points. I bet if we played them 10 times it would be about 5-5.

We'd have to really rally to get to 5-5...

CtheB
3/11/2006, 01:05 AM
We'd have to really rally to get to 5-5...

..and the style of our 5 wins would leave doubt as if we really were the better team that time.

kc sooner
3/11/2006, 01:09 AM
All I really know is it's very frustrating to watch this offense sometimes when they can't even get shots because of stupid turnovers or just dribbling around out front until the shot clock goes down and there's two guys just standing around.

oumartin
3/11/2006, 01:16 AM
oh, I feel there is a talent issue on the OU bench somewhere.

OUGreg723
3/11/2006, 09:59 AM
I like our players, but there is no 4-5 star talent on our team. AT ALL. Taj is talented, but he is a good player. You can't depend on Taj. Everette is talented but not smart with the ball. Godbold is young and not ready to be starting at this point in his career. Neal is a good player. I have no complaints about him.

I know Bookout wasnt a 4-5 star recruit, but he is the best player on the team. He is a leader and he is very talented. He would've been a huge recruit if he wasnt from Stroud. He is the type of player that would dominate and put up 15+ points every night if he had a better team around him. The injuries also never helped the guy.

The reason we have 9 consecutive 20 win seasons is because of Kelvin. Bottom line why we dont have a NC is because we have never had enough talent come through these parts. We have had the coaching, but not the talent. Our players are good but not great. You need a bunch off good and great players to win championships. We have a bunch of average players with a few good ones who carry us, and a really good coach.

Don't get me wrong, I love our guys and what they do for us. I've Always LOVED Sooner BBALL, but I think people will see the change in the next few years of what TALENT can do for a team and a Damn good basketball coach.

JohnnyMack
3/11/2006, 10:09 AM
If this team put:

Lavender
Everett
Neal
Bookout
Gray

on the court with Johnson, Carter, Godbold & Griffin as subs,

I say we're in a lot better position than we are right now (which is inconceivable as it sounds, bent over as Barry Coller's bitch). I think Lavender's departure crippled this team. Lavender it seems went Kathy Bates in Misery on us.

ouradu
3/11/2006, 10:22 AM
All I really know is it's very frustrating to watch this offense sometimes when they can't even get shots because of stupid turnovers or just dribbling around out front until the shot clock goes down and there's two guys just standing around.
What irritates me is the lack of effort to set a screen for Neal. Teams just man up on him and it totally shuts him down because in every offensive possession no one is going to put a body on the man gaurding Neal to help get him open. I counted 8 possessions in a row where no one made even an effort to set a screen. Honestly, I think its the scheme, the sets we're running just have him basically running across the lane, usually along the baseline, with Gray and Bookout setting screens for the point gaurd at the free throw line and 20 feet out. Set a danged screen for Neal!

kc sooner
3/11/2006, 10:44 AM
What irritates me is the lack of effort to set a screen for Neal. Teams just man up on him and it totally shuts him down because in every offensive possession no one is going to put a body on the man gaurding Neal to help get him open. I counted 8 possessions in a row where no one made even an effort to set a screen. Honestly, I think its the scheme, the sets we're running just have him basically running across the lane, usually along the baseline, with Gray and Bookout setting screens for the point gaurd at the free throw line and 20 feet out. Set a danged screen for Neal!
I agree. Sometimes, Neal just stands there watching the play and doesn't move at all. I also think they need to get him the ball and set a screen for him when he has the ball. I just don't understand the offense most times. I think Kelvin's a good coach, but he just wants to win sometimes by playing tough D and you can't do that all the time.

OUstud
3/11/2006, 12:04 PM
Our whole team stands there on offense! Let's see some movement! Bucknell looks better than us on offense!