PDA

View Full Version : Spanking in school

Soonrboy
3/10/2006, 11:40 AM
How many of you would seriously support the return of corporal punishment in schools?

As a principal, I would love to even have the threat of being able to use it.

Pieces Hit
3/10/2006, 11:41 AM
We never had spanking when I was a kid.
They beat us.
Make no mistake about it.

picasso
3/10/2006, 11:42 AM
I thought some schools still did so?

OUDoc
3/10/2006, 11:44 AM
The threat of it kept me in line.

3/10/2006, 11:46 AM
Yeah, whatever Doc.

BeetDigger
3/10/2006, 11:46 AM
How many of you would seriously support the return of corporal punishment in schools?

You're a principal?

Hatfield
3/10/2006, 11:50 AM
I was a master of the time honored "swaying" techinique so as to lessen the impact of the approaching paddle.

Petro-Sooner
3/10/2006, 11:51 AM
Bust their a@@. The fear kept me in line to.

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:00 PM
I was spanked once in 6th grade. I didn't care about the spanking; I was worried about what my parents would think when they found out I got in trouble. Sending me home with a note would have been just as effective as the spanking. Actually, it would have been more effective. The only reason I came clean to my parents was because I thought the school had called them, but they never would have known if I didn't say anything.

If you're hitting a kid hard enough for the spanking itself to be a deterrent I'd call that child abuse. The threat of a spanking to kids who have never been spanked before is the real deterrent. If I wasn't already a little do-gooder, spanking wouldn't have been a deterrent to me once I knew that it wasn't a big deal and my parents would never find out. Even detention is worse than spanking, because it's harder to hide that from your parents when you're in sixth grade. So what good does spanking do?

EDIT: No way in hell did what I do deserve a spanking, seeing as that was at the top of the punishment ladder.

Beef
3/10/2006, 12:02 PM
I got smacked frequently in school. I'm cursed with a constant guilty look on my face.

OUDoc
3/10/2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah, whatever Doc.
You're a slacker, McFly.

yermom
3/10/2006, 12:06 PM
i have mixed feelings on this... and it was hard enough to be a real detterent when i was in school

i would seriously consider physical harm if i ran into some of my teachers from when i was a kid

Coloradosker
3/10/2006, 12:08 PM

YES!
I teach in a rough area of Greeley and I have the urge to smack kids on a daily basis, especially the boys who think they're "hard".:mad:

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:09 PM
i have mixed feelings on this... and it was hard enough to be a real detterent when i was in school

Knowing the trivial **** I got spanked for, there is no way in hell I would let a teacher or principal lay a hand on my kids.

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:12 PM
YES!
I teach in a rough area of Greeley and I have the urge to smack kids on a daily basis, especially the boys who think they're "hard".:mad:

All you have to do is embarass them in front of the class. You can do that with smacking them. Make them sit in front of class wearing a "dunce" hat and encourage the other kids to laugh at them. Does anybody do that anymore?

yermom
Knowing the trivial **** I got spanked for, there is no way in hell I would let a teacher or principal lay a hand on my kids.

yeah, when you put it that way, i agree

BlondeSoonerGirl
Beatcherkids.

yermom
3/10/2006, 12:14 PM
All you have to do is embarass them in front of the class. You can do that with smacking them. Make them sit in front of class wearing a "dunce" hat and encourage the other kids to laugh at them. Does anybody do that anymore?

you can't even grade in red anymore, i think you'd get sued for that kinda ****

anyone else remember the old scratch and sniff stickers? like the ones that smelled bad for bad papers? the one that sticks out was the skunk one

Soonrboy
3/10/2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I'm a principal. there are some kids I just feel like if that threat were there, then it'd straighten some of them up.

I know there are very few schools who use it, and the parents have to sign a permission form for the school to be able to use corporal punishment.

I would definitely want a witness with me if I had to spank someone.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/10/2006, 12:20 PM
I always knew that if I got swats at school I was going to get my a$$ beat when I got home. Of course, they rarely gave swats when I was in school.

handcrafted
3/10/2006, 12:23 PM
I think it should be illegal. It's not the government's job to discipline my kid in that manner, it's mine. And believe me, if my kid ever did something that deserved spanking, he'd get it. All the school has to do is send home a note. Or, if it's bad enough, send him home. I might stunt his growth if that happened.

My son better fear God and me far more than he fears his teachers/principal.

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:24 PM
you can't even grade in red anymore, i think you'd get sued for that kinda ****

Yeah, the PC movement in schools has gotten way out of hand. Smacking kids around would be better for them than giving them inflated self esteem. The real world does grade in red ink, so the little bastards need to learn to suck it up and get better.

anyone else remember the old scratch and sniff stickers? like the ones that smelled bad for bad papers? the one that sticks out was the skunk one

I never got a skunk sticker on a paper, but I remember what they smelled like. I got a lot of papers back with the pepperoni pizza sticker on it; I guess that supposed to be good, but it didn't smell much better than the skunk.

Pieces Hit
3/10/2006, 12:25 PM
I had 53 licks my 6th grade year.

I think caning, head shaving, and stocks would work well in the commons areas.

yermom
3/10/2006, 12:25 PM
i don't think i ever got the skunk on a paper, but i remeber getting one as a prize or something like at the end of the school year when they were left over or something

Boomhauer
3/10/2006, 12:26 PM
BRING BACK THE BOARD!!!!!!! I am so sick and tired of kids smiling at other teachers when they get into trouble! Showing disrespect is such a big thing now. Then when you call the parent they want to know what you, the teacher, done to their precious child that would make them behave like that!!!! Yeah we can all go back and say it is the parents fault...which it is! But if we can let the kids see what real consequences are then they may think about their actions in the future. I know I did!

I really don't think that you would have a good understanding of this until everyone has had a chance to teach for at least 6 months.

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 12:27 PM
I had 53 licks my 6th grade year.

I think caning, head shaving, and stocks would work well in the commons areas.

Were you in one of these teacher sex scandals?

:mack:

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:28 PM
All the school has to do is send home a note.

Exactly. I feared disappointing my parents a lot more than anything the principal could do to us. That won't work with kids whose parents (if they're around) don't give a damn, though.

That's why we need to brink back public humiliation. The entire class or even the entire school laughing at you is the worst thing that can happen to you as a kid.

Pieces Hit
3/10/2006, 12:31 PM
Were you in one of these teacher sex scandals?

:mack:No, but 2 of my teachers were absolute pervs.
They caught one in a book closet with an 8th grader (girl) the year after I left.

Boomhauer
3/10/2006, 12:34 PM
No, but 2 of my teachers were absolute pervs.
They caught one in a book closet with an 8th grader (girl) the year after I left.

Book closet???? Rrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 12:35 PM
No, but 2 of my teachers were absolute pervs.

Ewwwww.

Pieces Hit
3/10/2006, 12:37 PM
They used to keep the little cheerleaders on the front row so they "could keep an eye on them".

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 12:37 PM
Sounds like bonafide pervs!

Pieces Hit
3/10/2006, 12:39 PM
Seems like they enjoyed the beatings a little too much too.

C&CDean
3/10/2006, 12:50 PM
Mr. Quinn. Charles Dietz Elementary. 1966. I remember it like yesterday.

Little Dean thought it would be cute to break a window, go into the classroom, and steal the girl scout cookies and $$ in the bag.

1 swat. Mr. Quinn had me empty my pockets, and then bend over the back of a chair and place my hands on the seat. He lifted my feet completely off the floor by my belt loop, and brought one from downtown Hong Kong. I semi-lost consciousness. My ears rang. I didn't even know where I was. Dude hit me so ****ing hard I couldn't feel my legs, butt, or lower back.

As he's burning my name onto his paddle he goes "now, next time it'll be 3 swats."

I leave, go to the bathroom, and seriously thought I might be paralyzed. The next day, I was purple from my thighs to my lower back.

All I cared about was that he not tell my dad, cause then I'd get bruises on my bruises.

Did it impact me in a meaningful way? ****in' A. All I knew from that day on was I didn't want 3. Serious punishment is always a good deterrent. But only if it's SERIOUS.

Of course back in my day, the neighbor's parents would whip us. It was expected. And if my dad found out Mr. Crawford gave me a spanking - he'd beat me twice as bad.

And I think teachers/school administrators should be allowed to administer corporal punishment. Of course with all the namby-pamby, chicken****, don't give a crap parents out there who are always ready to blame teachers and schools for their ****ty parenting - there'd be a bevy of frivolous lawsuits.

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 12:53 PM
Mr. Quinn. Charles Dietz Elementary. 1966. I remember it like yesterday.

Little Dean thought it would be cute to break a window, go into the classroom, and steal the girl scout cookies and $$ in the bag.

1 swat. Mr. Quinn had me empty my pockets, and then bend over the back of a chair and place my hands on the seat. He lifted my feet completely off the floor by my belt loop, and brought one from downtown Hong Kong. I semi-lost consciousness. My ears rang. I didn't even know where I was. Dude hit me so ****ing hard I couldn't feel my legs, butt, or lower back.

As he's burning my name onto his paddle he goes "now, next time it'll be 3 swats."

I leave, go to the bathroom, and seriously thought I might be paralyzed. The next day, I was purple from my thighs to my lower back.

All I cared about was that he not tell my dad, cause then I'd get bruises on my bruises.

Did it impact me in a meaningful way? ****in' A. All I knew from that day on was I didn't want 3. Serious punishment is always a good deterrent. But only if it's SERIOUS.

Of course back in my day, the neighbor's parents would whip us. It was expected. And if my dad found out Mr. Crawford gave me a spanking - he'd beat me twice as bad.

And I think teachers/school administrators should be allowed to administer corporal punishment. Of course with all the namby-pamby, chicken****, don't give a crap parents out there who are always ready to blame teachers and schools for their ****ty parenting - there'd be a bevy of frivolous lawsuits.

Damn Dean, I think you've just nailed one of our biggest problems in society
today - no discipline in the schools. Kids don't really understand consequences,
they do understand pain and fear. I got my *** torn up by my dad ONCE, that
was all it ever took.

Soonrboy
3/10/2006, 01:10 PM
Damn Dean, I think you've just nailed one of our biggest problems in society
today - no discipline in the schools. Kids don't really understand consequences,
they do understand pain and fear. I got my *** torn up by my dad ONCE, that
was all it ever took.

I know there are parents who take care of business at home, I have no dout about it...I just want to as a deterrent in school...call the teacher a name, or to shut up, your *** is going to get smacked.

I have been know to tell parents, "If this were my child, I'd be whipping him when he got home"...usually parents are pretty cool about it...

Pieces Hit
3/10/2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah but can't kids like report their folks for abuse nowdays?

OUDoc
3/10/2006, 01:21 PM
Sure. I've told my kids that I hope they enjoy their new foster parents. They thought twice about "calling DHS" after that.

OU Adonis
3/10/2006, 01:25 PM
Man, I did that once in middle school. But I got suspended for three days.

Oh, nm. I misunderstood the question.

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 01:26 PM
Sure. I've told my kids that I hope they enjoy their new foster parents. They thought twice about "calling DHS" after that.

sweet.

Pricetag
3/10/2006, 01:36 PM
I got a lot of papers back with the pepperoni pizza sticker on it; I guess that supposed to be good, but it didn't smell much better than the skunk.
Wha?!?! That pizza sticker was scratch and sniff utopia! It was all I could do to keep from eating the thing. When I first saw the words "scratch and sniff," that sticker jumped to my mind.

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 01:41 PM
Man, I did that once in middle school. But I got suspended for three days.

Wrong thread. Here you go: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64228

royalfan5
3/10/2006, 01:41 PM
Up here in Nebraska, Corporal Punishment hasn't been allowed in schools for a long time, and parents using it was very rare past 2nd grade or so. The people that I went to school that were trouble makers wouldn't of cared if there was coprporal punishment or not, and the number of trouble makers were quite low anyway, and most of them were from completely f'ed families anyway. If the parents aren't doing their jobs, the schools beating them isn't going to matter anyway.

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 01:43 PM
If the parents aren't doing their jobs, the schools beating them isn't going to matter anyway.

Exactly.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/10/2006, 01:48 PM
if my daughter has an issue, i want the school to tell me the situation and i'll hand out the corporate punishment. right there if merited. my own experiences in school have me jaded on ever handing over the right to discipline my kids to the school. i just let them know that if they act up, here is my email or cell and i'll be on them like the death star on alderaan.

of course, their inability to assess a situation became apparent earlier this year. 3 boys tried to jump my oldest daughter (5th grade). this wasn't the smartest of moves as she is a black belt and she tore them up. the school wanted to suspend her and let the boys go free. i was like, uh no you have that backwards. i almost broke that principal's neck.

as for me, from 1st to 9th grade i probably got 80 swats. almost all of them were because an insecure teacher felt that i wasn't respecting them. if i corrected a teacher who said that the louisiana purchase was sold to the US by louis xiv, it was off to the office for swats. if i answered to many questions, it was off to the office for swats. if i wasn't paying attention because i was bored, it was off to the office for swats. there was no recourse, there was no ability to get in contact with my parents, it was he said/she said and the teacher always won.

in 8th grade, the principal went to my church and felt that i was his little "project". he would walk by my english class and stick his nose on the door and if i looked at him, he'd haul me off for some swats. happened every day for 2 weeks until i told my dad. after squaring off with an irate ex-marine, he never so much as looked at me again. same crap happened in high school when frickin' mrs brock singled me out for punishment. they wanted to talk to my caving mom to get me swats and suspension, i called my dad and he took care of it.

85Sooner
3/10/2006, 02:43 PM
BRing it back!

crawfish
3/10/2006, 02:51 PM
Sadly, there are too many parents willing to subvert the school's authority because their "precious little child" couldn't possibly have done something that bad. They think they're being good parents by watching out for their kids, but in fact they're hurting them by creating an environment at school where the inmates rule the roost.

Boomhauer
3/10/2006, 02:55 PM
My class disrespected the substitute in another class today. They wouldn't shut up when they were told to. Now they have 6 pages of Math book assignments to do in less than an hour. I told them that if they didn't finish it would affect their Math grade. Amazingly....you should hear how quiet it is in my class right now!

Oh....I ain't helping them with any of it either!

Hamhock
3/10/2006, 03:08 PM
What's the reason given for the demise of spanking in school?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/10/2006, 03:17 PM
Sadly, there are too many parents willing to subvert the school's authority because their "precious little child" couldn't possibly have done something that bad. They think they're being good parents by watching out for their kids, but in fact they're hurting them by creating an environment at school where the inmates rule the roost.

it isn't only parents that are doing this, its teachers as well. my daughter's 5th grade teacher had them set the rules at the beginning of the year. what kind of assinine idea is that?

Tiptonsooner
3/10/2006, 08:35 PM
They don't have any qualms about bustin my daughters ***. She is hard headed and strong willed, so she gets a little enlightenment from time to time. Of course they always call me before they give her swats.

OU-HSV
3/10/2006, 08:47 PM
I'll spank my son if the time calls for it (when he's older)...but right now, the thought of someone else laying a hand on him makes me unsettled.

OUTromBoNado
3/11/2006, 12:26 AM
I got a swat once at school in 4th grade...for getting into a tussle and breaking a window. No big deal. But when I saw the paddle with the holes in it, and heard the wind whistle through them on the swing, it scared me s***less back then.

Overall, it wasn't really that hard of a hit. He pulled it just before impact. It was a scare tactic...and it worked. Didn't scare me anything like my dad's belt back in the day though!

OU-HSV
3/11/2006, 12:28 AM
I got a swat once at school in 4th grade...for getting into a tussle and breaking a window. No big deal. But when I saw the paddle with the holes in it, and heard the wind whistle through them on the swing, it scared me s***less back then.

Overall, it wasn't really that hard of a hit. He pulled it just before impact. It was a scare tactic...and it worked. Didn't scare me anything like my dad's belt back in the day though!
I got threatened in elementary school with a paddle w/holes in it. I knew when I saw it I didn't want hit w/it.

Flagstaffsooner
3/11/2006, 12:39 AM
The worst was in gym class. Just gym shorts and a jock strap on, i.e., no padding. And holes drilled into the paddle.

Thank you Hoover Jr. High turd-hole.

OUTromBoNado
3/11/2006, 12:57 AM
I can STILL remember the sound of the wind through those holes.

OU-HSV
3/11/2006, 12:59 AM
I remember the "hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise my dad's belt made when he was ready to keep us in line. You remember that don't ya OKC-SLC?? (it's unforgettable)

bigdsooner
3/11/2006, 01:04 AM
I think it should be illegal. It's not the government's job to discipline my kid in that manner, it's mine. And believe me, if my kid ever did something that deserved spanking, he'd get it. All the school has to do is send home a note. Or, if it's bad enough, send him home. I might stunt his growth if that happened.

My son better fear God and me far more than he fears his teachers/principal.

i agree mostly, but if i got swats as a kid, then i got my a$$ beat when i got home. i respected both because of it

Mrs. Norm
3/11/2006, 10:32 AM
I believe that corporal punishment should be an option in schools. I believe that if it was back, it would cut discipline problems about 80%. However, I do believe that parents should be notified before a swat occurs. I have students that FEAR their parents. I can tell because they are never in trouble! I had one child do something wrong one day, and I called his mom. His mom showed up 15 minutes later. Would I have to use corporal punishement on him? Absolutely not. His parents take care of the business. I haven't had a problem with him since. On the other hand, I have one student that has been in trouble since day one. I've written notes, called him, tried to set up a conference, and nothing has happened. I guarantee if our principal swatted his *** he wouldn't be a problem. Therefore, corporal punishment would be great for the kids that do not get any punishment at home.

To end my rant, I will never forget my students asking me if they spanked while I was in school. I told them they did. One of my students said, "Man, if they did that now, we wouldn't have as many problems here". I smiled and thought, if only we could have him talk to our leaders and get the law changed.

usmc-sooner
3/11/2006, 10:39 AM
I think it is time to bring back spankings in school. I think I earned everyone of the many I got in school.

Flagstaffsooner
3/11/2006, 10:40 AM
Spek for Mrs:norm: .

RacerX
3/11/2006, 11:07 AM
I'm against the idea.

Let me know what my kid is doing in school. I deal with it.

soonerjoker
3/11/2006, 11:42 AM
corporal punishment is good.

parents who threaten teachers are the worst of all.

if i were a teacher, any disruptive brat would be banished from my class.

Dio
3/11/2006, 12:01 PM
Light 'em up.

sanantoniosooner
3/11/2006, 12:04 PM
I'm against the idea.

I would like it to be parental choice.

If my kid deserves it, it's just an appetizer for what he gets later.

If somebody doesn't believe in that type of punishment, then their kid shouldn't be disciplined that way.

I don't know if you could work a dual standard though.

Okla-homey
3/11/2006, 12:12 PM
another advantage of private schools...the paddle never left.

Back before electricity we had paddling in public school. I got whooped by the principal in elementary school twice -- mostly for sassing a teacher, then I got worse beatings when I got home and my parents found out about it. I never sassed another teacher after that second episode.

I'm a big fan of corporal punishment for chilluns. Not the first resort, and not for all kids mind you, but its the only thing that works on some hard-heads (like me in third grade.);)

Okla-homey
3/11/2006, 12:17 PM

Our daughter threatened that once after being punished for some misbehavior. We said, go for it, but know that you'll be in a foster home by midnight...where you won't have your own room, a bathroom no one uses but you, all your toys and the stuff you like to eat in the pantry.

She gulped, and backed down.;)

Okla-homey
3/11/2006, 12:18 PM
What's the reason given for the demise of spanking in school?

criminal liability

SoonerInFla
3/11/2006, 02:28 PM
We had a 400+ pounder for Principal in Middle School called " Fat Wally." First day of school he follows me up the corridor and bellows out " Get in my office." Tells me my Dad called and said to go ahead and whoop my butt. I say "what for?" He says they figured I was up to no good and just wanted to stay ahead of the game.

Mrs. Norm
3/11/2006, 02:32 PM
I'm against the idea.

That's it exactly. You will deal with it. Your kids will know that they will be punished if they are bad. Therefore, they probably would never have to be spanked in school because they will be good.

It's those kids that are bad that don't get any punishment at home that deserve a spanking.

sanantoniosooner
3/11/2006, 04:05 PM
We had a 400+ pounder for Principal in Middle School called " Fat Wally." First day of school he follows me up the corridor and bellows out " Get in my office." Tells me my Dad called and said to go ahead and whoop my butt. I say "what for?" He says they figured I was up to no good and just wanted to stay ahead of the game.
Thursdays are my random spanking day.

Just so they'll remember what it feels like, and I probably missed something anyway.

Before a trip is a good time to warm up their seat also.

(This is in jest, but I think it's a sound theory.)

OU-HSV
3/11/2006, 04:21 PM
That's it exactly. You will deal with it. Your kids will know that they will be punished if they are bad. Therefore, they probably would never have to be spanked in school because they will be good.

It's those kids that are bad that don't get any punishment at home that deserve a spanking.
Sounds like the parents of these kids are the ones who need to be spanked.

Sooner_Bob
3/11/2006, 05:29 PM
My Ag teacher had a wooden bat that he had fashioned into a paddle. You could either take one swat with it or three with his paddle (complete with holes). I saw one kid get swats when I was an 8th grader . . . that's right, we got to watch. No way in the world I was ever gonna get swatted in that class.

I guess I really have mixed feelings about this. I got a few swats in my day, and I think I turned out ok. I feared my dad more than any teacher, and most of the teachers knew him and knew he'd take care of things.