PDA

View Full Version : Republicans fleeing from Bush

Herr Scholz
3/10/2006, 11:29 AM
Republican Party leaders said the survey explains why GOP lawmakers are rushing to distance themselves from Bush on a range of issues — port security, immigration, spending, warrantless eavesdropping and trade, for example. (the war in Iraq, the failed Katrina response, etc.)

The positioning is most intense among Republicans facing election in November and those considering 2008 presidential campaigns.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060310/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_ap_poll

picasso
3/10/2006, 11:32 AM
not surpising. Seems like the Bushies are set on doing whatever they think is right since their campaigning days are over. problem is the Repub's still in office have to get re-elected.
but didn't the same thing happen at the end of Clinton's run? I recall something like that.

crawfish
3/10/2006, 11:34 AM
...for the same reason dems, including Gore, distanced themselves from Clinton before the 2000 elections.

Herr Scholz
3/10/2006, 11:39 AM
...for the same reason dems, including Gore, distanced themselves from Clinton before the 2000 elections.
Clinton's approval numbers were through the roof even after the Lewinsky scandal. Bush's numbers are in the toilet.

Nearly 70 percent of people say the U.S. is on the wrong track...

IBTT
3/10/2006, 11:41 AM
*ahem*

picasso
3/10/2006, 11:44 AM
Clinton's approval numbers were through the roof even after the Lewinsky scandal. Bush's numbers are in the toilet.
dude, they still distanced them selves from him. especially Gore.

and um Clinton never had to deal with the crap Bushie has had to.

Hatfield
3/10/2006, 11:51 AM
this is standard procedure with a lame duck, plus this port deal (whether rightly or wrongly) has put many of the midtermers in a tough spot because johnny public aint' wantin no foreigners running our ports so they can't support the pres on this.

Harry Beanbag
3/10/2006, 11:59 AM
this is standard procedure with a lame duck, plus this port deal (whether rightly or wrongly) has put many of the midtermers in a tough spot because johnny public aint' wantin no Arabs running our ports so they can't support the pres on this.

Fixed. Foreign countries run a very sizable portion of our port terminals.

Ike
3/10/2006, 12:00 PM
of course they are distancing themselves from him. a) his numbers are in the crapper, b) he doesn't seem to care what congress thinks that much anymore and c) he doesn't do a very good job of explaining his position on complex matters (like the DPW issue for instance).

Congressmen (almost) always do whats popular, not always whats right. Right now Bush ain't that popular, and even if he is trying to do whats right (which I think he is), he's doing such a bad job of explaining why he thinks he is right to the american people that his numbers are tanking.

BeetDigger
3/10/2006, 12:02 PM

That's not what I remember. Please post a link if you are going to make such statements.

Harry Beanbag
3/10/2006, 12:02 PM
Republican Party leaders said the survey explains why GOP lawmakers are rushing to distance themselves from Bush on a range of issues — port security, immigration, spending, warrantless eavesdropping and trade, for example. (the war in Iraq, the failed Katrina response, etc.)

The positioning is most intense among Republicans facing election in November and those considering 2008 presidential campaigns.

Did Ron Fournier give you permission to add that part to his article?

Harry Beanbag
3/10/2006, 12:04 PM
of course they are distancing themselves from him. a) his numbers are in the crapper, b) he doesn't seem to care what congress thinks that much anymore and c) he doesn't do a very good job of explaining his position on complex matters (like the DPW issue for instance).

Congressmen (almost) always do whats popular, not always whats right. Right now Bush ain't that popular, and even if he is trying to do whats right (which I think he is), he's doing such a bad job of explaining why he thinks he is right to the american people that his numbers are tanking.

That's been the biggest problem with his administration the entire time.

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 12:04 PM

Exactly. His attitude and presentation are killing him. The attitude he
demonstrated about the ports deal was really bad, with his "I'll veto
any bill without exception" - this coming from a guy that had not vetoed
one single bill in his tenure as president.

That kind of stuff turns people off big time. If the deal is legit, why
are you fighting to hard to keep it a secret and threaten anyone
that questions you and your administration?

sheesh.

handcrafted
3/10/2006, 12:05 PM
Bush right now is the textbook definition of Lame Duck. It seems like he's not even trying anymore. It may just be electioneering, but it's good to see the congressional Repubs stand up to him on the latest of his dumbass policy moves.

This is the most unhappy I've ever been with a Repub prez, including the time his daddy raised my taxes.

Hatfield
3/10/2006, 12:15 PM
Fixed. Foreign countries run a very sizable portion of our port terminals.

i was speaking in the voice of johnny public. i am aware of that tidbit. :)

Herr Scholz
3/10/2006, 12:15 PM
That's not what I remember. Please post a link if you are going to make such statements.

In the wake of the House of Representatives' approval of two articles of impeachment, Bill Clinton's approval rating has jumped 10 points to 73 percent, the latest CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll shows.

That's not only an all-time high for Clinton, it also beats the highest approval rating President Ronald Reagan ever had.
You can compare that to Bush's 30% approval rating.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/20/impeachment.poll/

OklahomaTuba
3/10/2006, 12:19 PM
Its all a trick by that dirty bastard Rove.

Harry Beanbag
3/10/2006, 12:20 PM
i was speaking in the voice of johnny public. i am aware of that tidbit. :)

Yeah, I bet Johnny Public would crap his overalls if he knew China was controlling most of the west coast port terminals.

Herr Scholz
3/10/2006, 12:22 PM
Did Ron Fournier give you permission to add that part to his article?
No, but since he himself talked about the American public's unhappiness with his domestic and foreign policies, I summarized.

...no longer consider him a strong leader against terrorism...Nearly four out of five Americans, including 70 percent of Republicans, believe civil war will break out in Iraq....Bush's approval rating declined from 39 percent to 36 percent for his handling of domestic affairs and from 47 percent to 43 percent on foreign policy and terrorism....

Herr Scholz
3/10/2006, 12:24 PM
What about this, Tuba? You think the worm is turning or do you discount this?

By a 47-36 margin, people favor Democrats over Republicans when they are asked who should control Congress.

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 12:26 PM
If the democrats had a platform, they'd take the house and senate back this year.

OklahomaTuba
3/10/2006, 12:29 PM
What about this, Tuba? You think the worm is turning or do you discount this?
No, I think the GOP has made some bad mistakes, and its probably time for some of them to go. I know I want frist and delay gone. But its about time the dims actually gained seats, cause its been awhile.

Also, I think Bush's people never heard of the word PR. They just don't do it, which in a way is good I guess, but doesn't help you when you have a biased media doing crap like this at every turn...
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060302/i/r2741520107.jpg

Nice.

I also think Bush and co are worn out. I just sense they are because of the war and one thing after another. They can't focus on the stuff they need to IMO. To compare what Bush has had to deal with in his 6 years as opposed to what Clinton had to deal with in 8 is like comparing apples and oranges.

Hatfield
3/10/2006, 12:30 PM

when this first came out some people I knew were mentioning this smelled like Rove...it does provide great opportunity for the midtermers to look strong on key repub issues.

not saying it is or isnt Rove...but wouldn't put it past him. I think he is the devil but he is damn good at what he does.

OklahomaTuba
3/10/2006, 12:31 PM
If the democrats had a platform, they'd take the house and senate back this year.

Thats the problem with the dims, they don't stand for anything.

This is why, even with horrid poll numbers by the gop, they get killed in elections.

Hatfield
3/10/2006, 12:32 PM
you realize where he was speaking right?

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:33 PM
dude, they still distanced them selves from him. especially Gore.

And look how well that worked out for him.

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 12:33 PM

This is why, even with horrid poll numbers by the gop, they get killed in elections.

Yep, the dimz represent a scattergram on policy, if half of them could
get on the same page, they could do some damage.

Of course, Howard Dean is suach a polarizing figure, he'll be the death of the party.

Herr Scholz
3/10/2006, 12:35 PM
Sure we do. People like that reform.

http://plantinghisseeds.net/images/CharlesDur_Ausse_867540_400.jpg

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:37 PM

Here's a pretty big slam on the Democrats for just that reason--from a flaming liberal Bush-hater of all people.

The Three Stooges (http://www.slate.com/id/2137731/)

But more important than what the three stooges [Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Howard Dean] do wrong is what they can't seem to do at all, namely articulate a positive agenda for reform and change.

OklahomaTuba
3/10/2006, 12:40 PM
you realize where he was speaking right?
You realize they cropped it, right?

OklahomaTuba
3/10/2006, 12:42 PM
Sure we do. People like that reform.

http://plantinghisseeds.net/images/CharlesDur_Ausse_867540_400.jpg

Heh.

Kinda hard to reform when the Dim minority leader has all those abramoff issues surrounding him.

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 12:43 PM
Here's a pretty big slam on the Democrats for just that reason--from a flaming liberal Bush-hater of all people.

That article pretty much covers it. Hammer meet nail.

OklahomaTuba
Yep, the dimz represent a scattergram on policy, if half of them could
get on the same page, they could do some damage.

Of course, Howard Dean is suach a polarizing figure, he'll be the death of the party.

All one has to do is look at fund raising. Howard Scream spends as much as he raises it seems, which isn't much.

BeetDigger
You can compare that to Bush's 30% approval rating.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/20/impeachment.poll/

First, not surprised that is from CNN. They polled the office I suspect. :D And yes, 1998: the stock markets were up, the unemployment was down, and Clinton was doing a fine job of sitting back in the office and watching Alan Greenspan do his job while the President did nothing about the terrorist training camps. Good times. Hand me cigar and give me an intern to grope.

Ike
3/10/2006, 12:44 PM

that is pretty much spot on. too many dems in powerful positions have kept their seats simply because they bitch and moan about everything the conservatives want to do.

I'll grant, that there is a time and a place for things like that, especially when your party is in the minority in both houses and not in the white house. But they have taken it way over the top. Instead of being the party of the 'loyal opposition' during Bush's tenure, the leadership at least has been the party of the bitchy opposition, many times I believe opposing Bush just to say that they opposed Bush, and for no other reason than that.

sooneron
3/10/2006, 01:47 PM
First, not surprised that is from CNN. They polled the office I suspect. :D And yes, 1998: the stock markets were up, the unemployment was down, and Clinton was doing a fine job of sitting back in the office and watching Alan Greenspan do his job while the President did nothing about the terrorist training camps. Good times. Hand me cigar and give me an intern to grope.
I'm sure you were one of the people accusing Clinton of trying to wag the dog when they tried to bomb the terrorist camps during the Lewinski scandal. Selective memory rawks!

slickdawg
3/10/2006, 01:50 PM
So when is someone starting a "Clinton loves BUSH" thread?

crawfish
3/10/2006, 02:18 PM

Hint: a bunch of trees IS a forest.

BeetDigger
3/10/2006, 02:41 PM
I'm sure you were one of the people accusing Clinton of trying to wag the dog when they tried to bomb the terrorist camps during the Lewinski scandal. Selective memory rawks!

No. But the timing sure was odd. And half hazzardly launching some tomahawks into the middle of the desert was a very thorough and thoughtful way of dealing with the issue. As to the selective memory, what else did he do regarding the issue? If you said nothing, give yourself 1000 points.

sooneron
3/10/2006, 02:57 PM
No. But the timing sure was odd. And half hazzardly launching some tomahawks into the middle of the desert was a very thorough and thoughtful way of dealing with the issue. As to the selective memory, what else did he do regarding the issue? If you said nothing, give yourself 1000 points.
Nothing would be incorrect, Not enough would be correct, same as W when he took over and was warned about Osama and the boys.