PDA

View Full Version : Drilling At A Rate Of 2.6fph

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 02:25 AM
Let's see, at this rate...let me do the math really quick...713 feet to go...so that's 713/2.6...that's about 274 hrs...divide that into days...hmm, 11 days. OK, factor in 3 hrs of pump problems per day and at least one more trip costing 1 day...

Looks like I'm never going home!:eek:

Ike
3/10/2006, 03:28 AM
sounds like you are making an very nice ****in' hole there :D

lets hope it ain't all for naught.

(by the way, I was curious, what is the going rate of dry holes now in the ahl bidness? I know it used to be somewhat high, but I also know, first hand, how well seismic processing has improved, and I'm curious as to how that has translated into the rate of drilling dry holes)

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 04:02 AM
Well, as far as bidness goes I've only been home for 20 days this year & the bosses have already told me not to make any plans soon...

I'm really not sure what the dry hole rate is but we track the gamma radiation to determine the different formations to get into the pay zones. There's also mudloggers on location to study the soil samples. In fact we just moved out of the zone they want to be in. We're having to steer the pipestring back up to get back into it...We're in the lateral & have steered into shale, that's why we're drilling so slow.

Jerk
3/10/2006, 05:23 AM
Where's your rig at?

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 05:52 AM
I'm about 30 miles north of Pampa, TX.

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 06:12 AM
Here's a pic I took from the webcam. The kids wanted to see what the rig looked like so I drove up the hill. As luck would have it my wife IM'd me & I still had a wireless signal so the kids got to see it on live video. They're impressed with the rig...I'm just bored with it. Notice the absolute nothingness that abounds.

http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/farks/403.jpg

This pic is from my trailer while they were tripping out (pulling all 9700 ft.) of the hole.

http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/farks/403trip.jpg

...and this is me, kinda, bored as hell in the wee hours of the morning.

http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/farks/boredashell.jpg

oumartin
3/10/2006, 06:16 AM
I'll have to check them out when I get home. surf control got me locked out of them pics.

did you guys get any of the snow yesterday?

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 06:18 AM
Nope, just a little rain. We got to see the storms form that hit ya'll the other night though.

oumartin
3/10/2006, 06:20 AM
dude, if you are there for another month or so you will see some serious storms. trust me.

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 06:24 AM
Gawd I hope I'm not here this long. I love this job but geez everything, and I mean everything, that could go wrong on this job has...twice.

...and there ain't no holes to hide in or anywhere to escape the high winds. Last summer I over by Eufala & the winds literally tilted the trailer to one side.

oumartin
3/10/2006, 06:27 AM
I spent a week at a time in a 21ft Amerilite travel trailer when I was taking call and there were nights I just didn't feel safe in the darn thing.
I don't like em when I work because our electricity is so fickle that any lightening strike within a 10 mile radius blinks us and its a scramble to keep things running or getting things restarted. Its a joke

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 06:29 AM
Yep, and all of our electronics are seriously scared of lightning...one close flash & we quit drilling 'til we fix it.

This trailer is about a 24 footer with a single slide out. It would be good for one person but we're having to double up on this job & it's the succ.

oumartin
3/10/2006, 06:30 AM
you guys use local elect. or generators?

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 06:37 AM
Diesel generators. Everything out here is stand alone. Each trailer even has it's own water supply and sewer. Unfortunately after about a week out here it smells like a very unclean public restroom outside.

I'm glad I brought my Satellite dish & the other guy brought his TIVO, so we don't miss anything we really want to watch. It's kind of like luxury camping, only sober.

Petro-Sooner
3/10/2006, 11:49 AM
Whats the TD? Target formation?

OklahomaTuba
3/10/2006, 12:22 PM
When you strike a gusher, do you get naked and roll around in the crude???

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2006, 02:01 PM
Be thankful that you're not out in Russia or Nigeria...

Skysooner
3/10/2006, 02:11 PM
In that area they are probably going for the Granite Wash.

IB4OU2
3/10/2006, 02:24 PM
Are you there yet?

Petro-Sooner
3/10/2006, 02:39 PM
Dads on the slope right now. Current temp, -32. WOW.

Skysooner
3/10/2006, 03:58 PM
Met a drilling engineer the other day named Jennifer McCarthy. She gets all kinds of kidding from the drilling hands.

Okla-homey
3/10/2006, 05:35 PM
SB68,
I just bought Cinderella Man on DVD. Y'all seen that one yet? damfinentertainmentifuaxme.

XingTheRubicon
3/10/2006, 07:02 PM
I was told that the dry hole rate is about 20 percent, compared to 30+ in the '70s. That is somewhat misleading, however, because you can hit sand and the completion costs do not warrant moving forward. So, technically, it wasn't a dry hole but very little $ recovered.

From what I've seen recently, the wells that are worth damn (turned over) is about 50 to 60%. I've got two wells that I have interest in getting ready to be drilled in April. One in Pauls Valley, and one in Lavaca Co, Texas. If they hit, I hope oil goes to $200/bbl and nat gas to $20/mmcf. Just kidding, but not really.

SoonerBorn68
3/10/2006, 09:54 PM
Whats the TD? Target formation?

TD is 10,500. I woke up this afternoon & found out we've drilled just 40 ft. :eek: The formation we want is a granite wash (or warsh)--that we were in a day ago. We've lost angle (down from 94 degrees to 89) steadily since then. We can't slide up because we can't get enough weight to push the 1400 ft. of lateral pipe...like one guy said, "You can push a rope uphill only so far".

Are you there yet?

No! :mad:

When you strike a gusher, do you get naked and roll around in the crude???

Well actually these gas wells don't "gush" but if you hit a pocket there's a burn off valve that can shoot a flame about 30 ft...so getting naked and getting burnt up is probably not my first option. :D

Be thankful that you're not out in Russia or Nigeria...

No doubt. I've heard stories about Nigeria & having to bribe your way in and out or gettin' your drink spiked & waking up in a hotel room broke, sticky, & confused. :eek: No thanks, I think I'll stick to the yocal Texicans.

oumartin
3/10/2006, 09:57 PM
find some more gas for me to process would ya.

soonerjoker
3/12/2006, 12:12 PM
i like to read about this oil field stuff, my dad (deceased) was a "cable
tool driller, for probably more than 40(long before i was born) years.

all over oklahoma.

Skysooner
3/12/2006, 02:36 PM
Drilling is a science unto itself. I have only been the drilling engineer on about 12 wells in a 15 year career, so I hardly know my stuff there. I'm more of an operations engineer with a solid background in geology. In my job, I'm looking at an overview of our drilling and production in about 6 states to determine where to allocate capital. Oh the joys of getting older and getting desk bound.

BajaOklahoma
3/12/2006, 02:42 PM
I know casing - we used to own part of a casing company. I had to help send out the crews & equipment.
All of the wells we bought into over the years used to net us $100/month. We never broke even. Oh, well, we tried.