PDA

View Full Version : SAC Baseball

Paperclip
3/9/2006, 08:25 PM
Hey Ike, you out there. :)

OBU got a 2 hit shutout and a 4-0 win vs. SNU today in the first conference game of the season. Bobby Cox got his 800th win.

Ike
3/9/2006, 11:21 PM
Hey Ike, you out there. :)

OBU got a 2 hit shutout and a 4-0 win vs. SNU today in the first conference game of the season. Bobby Cox got his 800th win.

thats awesome. Congratulations to coach Cox. He is a great coach and a great guy too. I haven't kept up with the entire SAC very much this year (yet), but I have been keeping an eye on my DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION alma mater :D (sorry, but it just feels so good saying that). My boys have gotten off to a bit of a rocky start so far. they dropped their first 3, but then went on an 8 game winning streak before losing 2 and winning their next 2. They had Peru state today, but the score isn't posted yet, so I don't know how they fared. Since it was a night game, and our basketball team is in the NAIA tourney, I doubt our new SID will have the result up until tomorrow :(

we start conference play on saturday with a doubleheader against St. Gregs.
personally, Im just a little glad that we aren't facing the likes of LCU and OBU until much later in the season. We look like we still have a few kinks to work out. But I'm confident that they will be worked out in short order.

Paperclip
3/10/2006, 04:49 PM
OCU drilled the Peruvians. It's been a weird week. Peru State played OCU then went to OBU (who beat them 24-0) then back to OCU yesterday then back to OBU today. There's a single game for OCU at St. Greg's today.
Our mutual friend proposed a wager to me for the OBU/OCU series. Since the series are only three games this year we'll have to have a winner.

Paperclip
3/11/2006, 12:56 AM
Wow Ike, OCU gets a convincing 7-5 win over St. Greg's today to go 1-0 in the SAC. McLaughlin gives up 11 hits.
I'm headed to SNU tomorrow for OBU's double-header with the Crimson Storm. Thanks to Kelvin and the boys I don't have to worry about taking a radio with me to catch the basketball game. :mad:

OCUDad
3/11/2006, 02:01 PM
Mutual Friend here... :)

Paperclip, I still have faith that our Stars (Ike's and mine) will overcome your Bison when they play their series on April 21 & 22. As defending national champions (yes, Ike, it feels so good to say that), they will have something to prove. And they'll do it by giving your Bison a sound drubbing (he said hopefully). With Peguero gone, the Bison will be hurting.:D

Paperclip
3/11/2006, 05:13 PM
OBU took game 1 today 7-2. Got out of a bases loaded, 1 out jam in the sixth with back to back strike outs. Tacked on a couple of insurance runs in the seventh and ball game. Gorgeous day here for baseball. 84, sunny, what little wind there was was blowing in. The wind blowing in at SNU means a plane landing at Wiley Post will be buzzing the park about every 30 seconds.
Would have loved to stay for game 2, but didn't.
Tell you what dad, maybe you should worry about St. Greg's before you start thinking about the Bison. :)

OCUDad
3/11/2006, 06:54 PM
I prefer to take the long view. You "one game at a time" people have no vision. :D

Paperclip
3/11/2006, 11:43 PM
OBU sweeps SNU, OCU sweeps St. Greg's. Both teams start off conference play 3-0. It is on! :D

Paperclip
3/12/2006, 01:14 PM
All the SAC series were sweeps this weekend including Lubbock just destroying USAO.

3/11/2006
Northwestern OSU 16
Wayland Baptist 17 *

Science & Arts Oklahoma 2
Lubbock Christian 12 *

Oklahoma Baptist 7
Southern Nazarene 2 *

Oklahoma Baptist 14
Southern Nazarene 3 *

St. Gregory's 2
Oklahoma City 6

St. Gregory's 0
Oklahoma City 10

3/10/2006
Northwestern OSU 2
Wayland Baptist 10 *

Northwestern OSU 2
Wayland Baptist 7 *

Science & Arts Oklahoma 1
Lubbock Christian 10 *

Science & Arts Oklahoma 1
Lubbock Christian 27 *

Oklahoma City 7
St. Gregory's 5

3/9/2006
Southern Nazarene 0
Oklahoma Baptist 4 *

Paperclip
3/12/2006, 01:28 PM
Team SAC Overall
Oklahoma Baptist 3-0 17-3
Lubbock Christian 3-0 19-5
Oklahoma City 3-0 14-5
Wayland Baptist 3-0 13-11
Southern Nazarene 0-3 21-9
Northwestern 0-3 5-7
Science & Arts Oklahoma 0-3 6-9
St. Gregory's 0-3 7-13

OCUDad
3/12/2006, 11:41 PM
OCU took two today from College of the Ozarks. Came from behind both times. 21-11 in the first game, 7-6 in the second.

Nice to get the wins, but giving up too many runs for my comfort.

OCUDad
3/23/2006, 10:58 PM
Latest NAIA rankings just came out. Oklahoma City ranked #3 in the country, Oklahoma Baptist #20.

Paperclip
3/23/2006, 11:05 PM
Latest NAIA rankings just came out. Oklahoma City ranked #3 in the country, Oklahoma Baptist #20.

That ranking is on reputation only. No way they're the third best team in the country right now.

OCUDad
3/24/2006, 05:14 PM
At this point in the season, I agree rankings don't mean much. OBU is probably not the 20th best team in the country right now, either. Want some cheese with that whine? :P

BoomerJack
3/25/2006, 11:03 AM
Yawn.

OCUDad
3/25/2006, 07:01 PM
YawnThe chair recognizes the learned representative from East Texas. If he would now be so kind as to belch, his vocabulary will be exhausted and he is free to leave. :eek:

BoomerJack
3/28/2006, 04:28 PM
Belch, burp and double yawn.

OCUDad
3/29/2006, 04:47 PM
OK, now that we have had the obligatory visit and useless post from the inevitable troll, can we get back to discussing SAC baseball?

OCU is 6-0 in SAC play, OBU is 5-1, and Lubbock Christian is 4-2. Those three appear to be the front-runners for the SAC championship. OCU-LCU series is this weekend, OBU-LCU is the following weekend, and OCU-OBU on April 21 and 22. Any predictions?

I'll go out on a limb and say that both OBU and OCU will at least win, and possibly sweep, their respective series with LCU, and it will come down to the OCU-OBU matchup in April.

BoomerJack
3/29/2006, 05:25 PM
OCU Dad: I apologize. Obviously, SAC (Sooner Athletic Conf. I assume?) baseball is important to you good folks posting this thread. I guess I just can't see why this lovefest is going on a University of Oklahoma Baseball message board and not somewhere else. I'm also envious that there doesn't
appear to be as much enthusiasm for Sooner baseball as for the SAC.

Again, please accept my apologies and post away about your favorite SAC nine to your hearts content.

Ike
3/29/2006, 07:25 PM
OCU Dad: I apologize. Obviously, SAC (Sooner Athletic Conf. I assume?) baseball is important to you good folks posting this thread. I guess I just can't see why this lovefest is going on a University of Oklahoma Baseball message board and not somewhere else. I'm also envious that there doesn't
appear to be as much enthusiasm for Sooner baseball as for the SAC.

Again, please accept my apologies and post away about your favorite SAC nine to your hearts content.

the reason is that there are more than one regular posters on this board that have ties to more than one SAC school. Specifically, myself (I am an OU grad student and football/basketball fan). I graduated from OCU and had a baseball scholarship at that university, and am very interested in the goings on at their baseball field. That other sooner fans share similar experiences and loyalties to smaller schools as well makes this a convienent place to discuss it.

I realize you think that small school baseball must be unimportant, especially to the people who think Oklahoma only has 2 universities, but if you would take the time to actually look, you might see that there is actually some damn good baseball being played at schools you don't care about.

PS, In the last 3 years of the OCU/OU baseball series (2000-2002, before OU got skeered) OCU led the series 4-2.

Paperclip
3/30/2006, 12:27 AM
I'm slightly concerned that OBU dropped a game to USAO. We needed the sweep. Additionally, it bothers me that in that game our best starter got knocked around pretty good. Hopefully that's just a bad start and he'll be back to form next time out. We've got Northwestern this weekend.
FYI, like dad mentioned, OCU goes to Lubbock this weekend. LCU is also the site of this year's SAC tourney.

Ike
3/31/2006, 03:55 AM
I'm slightly concerned that OBU dropped a game to USAO. We needed the sweep. Additionally, it bothers me that in that game our best starter got knocked around pretty good. Hopefully that's just a bad start and he'll be back to form next time out. We've got Northwestern this weekend.
FYI, like dad mentioned, OCU goes to Lubbock this weekend. LCU is also the site of this year's SAC tourney.

ugh. that is the absolute worst place to play. Obnoxious fans, and a crappy field to boot. We played our regional there my senior year. I pitched against LCU for my 3rd time that year. I swear if you were to look at my entire collegiate career, I probably faced them more than any other team. I can remember vividly at least 7 games I threw against them (all wins too :) ).

It seems like LCU and DBU were always the two teams we faced more often than anyone.

BTW, in relation to the DBU thread, I threw my last collegiate game against the Patriots, for a 14-3, nearly complete game win. I ran out of gas with one out in the ninth, and quite literally collapsed in the dugout after being pulled...that was in the WS when it was held in west palm beach and it was humid as all hell. I also turned a 1-4-6-3 double play. ball hit off my cleat and bounced straight to our second baseman. That may have also been DBU's last game as an NAIA team as well.

OCUDad
4/1/2006, 11:42 AM
Oklahoma City dropped the first game of its March 31 doubleheader to Lubbock Christian, 4-3. Stars came back to win Game Two, 11-7. Rubber match is a 9-inning game today, April 1.

Oklahoma Baptist has a doubleheader today against Northwestern Oklahoma State. Should not be a very tough challenge for the Bison.

OCUDad
4/1/2006, 08:32 PM
Oklahoma City lost two of three this weekend to Lubbock Christian, while Oklahoma Baptist was sweeping three from Northwestern Oklahoma. End result -- OBU takes over first place from OCU in the SAC. :mad: Temporarily. :D

BoomerJack
4/1/2006, 10:39 PM
Excuse me, but did any of you happen hear how our UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA SOOONER BASEBALL team did tonite against the Univ. of Tex.???

Paperclip
4/1/2006, 11:41 PM
OBU takes over first place from OCU in the SAC. :mad:

Ah. Poetry.

OCUDad
4/1/2006, 11:45 PM
Excuse me, but did any of you happen hear how our UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA SOOONER BASEBALL team did tonite against the Univ. of Tex.??? I guess if I were looking for that kind of information, I wouldn't look in a thread titled "SAC Baseball." Last I heard, the University of Oklahoma was not in the Sooner Athletic Conference, which is NAIA -- and apparently not worthy in your opinion to carry the "Sooner" tag.

Jack, are you still upset that other people follow Oklahoma teams you don't care about? Aren't there other threads in the SAC Baseball Forum that you can pollute? Start a new University of Oklahoma Baseball thread. Contribute. Do something positive. It's been great meeting you, but if you don't follow SAC baseball, it's probably not a great idea to keep coming into this thread to push whatever agenda it is that you're pushing. You are a colossal and annoying bore. What have we done, other than show interest in the Sooner Athletic Conference, to warrant your obnoxiousness?

Oklahoma lost 2-0 to Texas. Hope this makes you happy. Go post it somewhere else.

Paperclip
4/1/2006, 11:46 PM
Man, how bad does OBU's loss to USAO look now? USAO got swept this weekend by St. Greg's. Wow.

Paperclip
4/1/2006, 11:47 PM
Oklahoma lost 2-0 to Texas. Hope this makes you happy. Go post it somewhere else.

That was Friday night. They lost to Texas tonight 9-4 or something like that.

OCUDad
4/2/2006, 01:08 AM
Paperclip: My bad; you're right. I was looking at yesterday's news. They did lose -- again -- to Texas, 9-4. Maybe Jack can go post this on the thread he's about to start.

SoonerObsession
4/5/2006, 11:59 AM
Hey guys. I haven't kept up with SAC baseball for a few years now that my alma matter dropped the program (Oklahoma Christian). Has anybody heard whether they are going to get the program started again anytime soon? I sure do miss the days of "bag nasties" and long trips in the 15 passenger vans.

Paperclip
4/5/2006, 09:35 PM
I haven't heard anything on OC. I did hear that Rogers State is going to apply to join the SAC so that would bring the conference to a nine team field. It would be fun to have another metro team in the mix and make it an even ten.

Paperclip
4/5/2006, 09:43 PM

What a difference a couple of weeks make. OBU is now up to #3, OCU #7, LCU #15. How can anybody give credence to a poll that moves up a team 17 spots in two weeks?
FWIW, L-C is 1, Cal Baptist is 2. OCU and OBU both get visits from CBU real soon.

OCUDad
4/6/2006, 01:27 AM
FWIW, L-C is 1, Cal Baptist is 2. OCU and OBU both get visits from CBU real soon.I am going to go out on a limb here... I'm prone to making predictions based on nothing but gut feel on topics about which I know absolutely nothing.

I predict Cal Baptist won't win a game against either SAC team. I think Region II is evenly matched with overrrated teams.

How's that for arrogance? :rolleyes:

Paperclip
4/7/2006, 06:10 PM
My goodness. Nice pitchers' duel at Northwestern yesterday. http://www.okcu.edu/athletics/upload/baseball/OCUNWOSU1.htm

OBU kept their one game lead with a 5-1 victory over Lubbock today. Bison used some small ball to get early runs.

OCUDad
4/7/2006, 06:46 PM
Nice pitchers' duel, indeed. 26-23 and not even an NAIA record. Coach Crabaugh is saving his good pitchers for Cal Baptist and OBU, I guess. :)

SoonerObsession
4/8/2006, 01:08 AM
Does anybody know what happened to a pitcher name Steve Bocock that played for OCU back in the early 90's? I played with him at Westmoore and I was just curious as to what he is doing now. He had the nastiest fork ball.

Ike
4/8/2006, 05:01 PM
Does anybody know what happened to a pitcher name Steve Bocock that played for OCU back in the early 90's? I played with him at Westmoore and I was just curious as to what he is doing now. He had the nastiest fork ball.

Ahh, Bobo. He was a junior when I came into OCU. I had heard for a while that he was working in his fathers business, but that was while I was still in school. I honestly have no idea what he is up to nowadays.

However, his senior year, he did set the school record for career wins, which I broke in my senior season, which was again broken a couple years ago by EJ Shanks. It may have been broken again since then. Bobo was a great guy. Always out to have a good time. So was Pil, our other westmoore dude, now that I think about it

Paperclip
4/8/2006, 08:10 PM
OCU swept NW this weekend while OBU took 2 of 3 from Lubbock. That means the Stars and Bison are tied atop the SAC at 10-2. Up next for both teams is #2 nationally California Baptist. At OCU on Sunday. At OBU on Tuesday. CBU is back at OCU on Wednesday.

OCUDad
4/8/2006, 10:58 PM
Even more heartening than the expected sweep of NWOSU for Oklahoma City was the return of pitcher Phil Bartleski from Tommy John surgery. Bartleski pitched 4 innings in Game 2 of today's doubleheader, giving up no hits -- but two unearned runs. That game was called after 5 innings, 12-2.

The Stars will need Bartleski on the hill for the stretch and the post-season.

SoonerObsession
4/9/2006, 02:59 PM
I heard Pil is now a Dentist. How we didn't win the State championship in 92 is beyond me with all the good pitching we had. Jamey Wright, Steve Bocock, Chris Pilgrim, and myself (I was 8 and 2 that year) made for a pretty good rotation. We had a few lefties that could cause some head aches for people too. We beat Norman both times we played them during the regular season and they came in and won district at our place. Still ticks me off to this day! I think of the starting nine players we had all but 2 go on to play college ball.

OCUDad
4/10/2006, 11:43 PM
I had forgotten that Cal Baptist also played USAO in their swing through the SAC. Oklahoma City defeated CalBap 10-4, and CalBap defeated USAO today 15-10.

USAO is dead last in the SAC; I'm still betting OBU and OCU beat Cal Baptist in the two remaining games.

OCUDad
4/12/2006, 09:01 PM
So much for my prognostic abilities. California Baptist won all but their first game against SAC competition. :mad:

Oklahoma City 10, Cal Bap 4
Cal Bap 15, USAO 10
Cal Bap 20, Oklahoma Baptist 8
Cal Bap 7, Oklahoma City 5

OCU started a reliever today instead of one of their regular starters. He had a shaky start and gave up 4 runs in the first before settling down. I still think either OBU or OCU can beat Cal Baptist in the postseason. Of course, they all have to get there first.

Paperclip
4/12/2006, 10:37 PM
I think Denny and Bobby both had to take the attitude of it was more important to keep the rotation fresh for SAC games. Sure, it would have been nice to have these games against the #2 team, but right now it's pretty tight at the top and both teams need every SAC win they can get.

Paperclip
4/12/2006, 10:41 PM
And yet more bizarre ranking news...

Bison Second in NAIA Rankings
April 12, 2006
Oklahoma Baptist moved into second place in the NAIA Top 25 released Wednesday, ironically moving ahead of California Baptist despite the Lancers’ 20-8 win at Bison Field Tuesday.

It is the highest-ranking the team has ever enjoyed. OBU was ranked third in its 1989 World Series season and peaked at fifth in its 1996 World Series season.

OBU was awarded its first first-place vote of the season.

Oklahoma City, which the Bison play next week, is ranked fourth. Lubbock Christian received votes, falling from 15th to the equivalent of 38th.
Wayland Baptist, this week’s opponent, received votes and is in 34th.

OCUDad
4/13/2006, 03:25 PM
I don't think that ranking is so bizarre. The NAIA baseball raters aren't exactly Nobel Prize candidates, but most are not as stupid as some folks make them out to be.

Cal Baptist threw its best pitchers against the SAC teams, while OBU and OCU -- as you pointed out, Paperclip -- held their horses back for more meaningful conference play. Even at that, lowly USAO scored 10 runs against CBU. OCU beat them once using a 4th starter, and lost 7-5 using "Johnny All-Bullpen." OBU, to the best of my knowledge, didn't use any of their studs in their loss to CBU, and the 8 runs they scored would, in my not-so-humble opinion, have been enough to win if they had chosen unwisely to use one of their top starters. PLUS, 7 of their 8 runs were scored against CBU's #1 starter, the highly-touted over-rated Aaron Hartsock.

If you want to find bizarreness in the ratings, ask why OCU is rated below OBU when the Stars are obviously so much better than the Bison. :P

Paperclip
4/13/2006, 09:00 PM
OBU dropped a double-header to Wayland today. Ugh.

OCUDad
4/15/2006, 07:07 AM
Crazy game on Good Friday... Oklahoma City defeats USAO 29-18 in 8 innings. USAO, despite its residence at the bottom of the SAC standings, has put on some pretty good offensive shows against good opposition (10 against Cal Baptist, 10 against OK Baptist, and now this). If they could find some pitching, they could contend.

OCUDad
4/22/2006, 02:41 AM
OCU defeats OBU 12-8 in the first game of their 3-game conference series. They play two 7-inning contests at OBU on Saturday. Lefty, I think we have Paperclip on the ropes.

OCUDad
5/5/2006, 12:11 PM
SAC tournament results so far:

Wednesday, May 3
Oklahoma City 7, Northwestern Oklahoma State 1
Lubbock Christian 2, Southern Nazarene 1
Oklahoma Baptist 8, Wayland Baptist 1

Thursday, May 4
Northwestern OSU 3, Southern Nazarene 0 (SNU goes home)
Oklahoma City 4, Wayland Baptist 2 (WBU goes home)
Lubbock Christian 11, Oklahoma Baptist 0

OCUDad
5/7/2006, 12:00 AM
Final SAC Tournament Results

SAC Champion - Oklahoma City

May 3
Oklahoma City 7, Northwestern Oklahoma State 1
Lubbock Christian 2, Southern Nazarene 1
Oklahoma Baptist 8, Wayland Baptist 1
May 4
Northwestern OSU 3, Southern Nazarene 0 (SNU eliminated)
Oklahoma City 4, Wayland Baptist 2 (WBU eliminated)
Lubbock Christian 11, Oklahoma Baptist 0
May 5
Oklahoma City 9, Lubbock Christian 5
Oklahoma Baptist 6, Northwestern Oklahoma State 1 (NWOSU eliminated)
May 6
Oklahoma Baptist 9, Lubbock Christian 8 (LCU eliminated)
Oklahoma City 18, Oklahoma Baptist 5

Region VI Tournament (at Wayland Baptist) is next: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Baptist, Lubbock Christian, Texas Wesleyan, Houston Baptist and Wayland Baptist.

OCUDad
5/13/2006, 10:48 PM
Lubbock Christian defeats Oklahoma City 10-4 in the title game of the NAIA Region VI tournament.

If the LCU Chaparrals win the super-regional against Region V next week, or if they are ranked high enough for an at-large berth, they will represent the SAC in the NAIA World Series in Lewiston, Idaho.

This will be the first time in many years defending champion Oklahoma City has not advanced to the NAIA World Series. Hats off to Lubbock Christian.

OCUDad
6/1/2006, 11:43 PM
Lubbock Christian lost today 12-1 to Cumberland University, placing third in the NAIA World Series. Cumberland and Lewis-Clark State College play tomorrow for the championship. LCU represented NAIA Region VI admirably. Congratulations to the Chaps.

Paperclip
6/2/2006, 06:07 PM
I concur on the congrats to LCU. A final three finish is fantastic.

Ike
6/5/2006, 11:05 AM
#3 was spot we finished in in my first trip to the NAIA WS (the one year it was held in Tulsa).
It sucks. And unlike you two, I'll never congratulate LCU for anything. I hate them almost as much as I hate the whorns.

Paperclip
6/5/2006, 09:34 PM
#3 was spot we finished in in my first trip to the NAIA WS (the one year it was held in Tulsa).
It sucks. And unlike you two, I'll never congratulate LCU for anything. I hate them almost as much as I hate the whorns.

Why so bitter? You owned those guys.

Ike
6/6/2006, 10:45 AM
Why so bitter? You owned those guys.

Because I'm just a bitter person I guess ;) Part of pwning them though was the fact that I pitched against them something like 7 or 8 times over my 4 year career. 5 in my last two. And while I certainly did have success against them, it was never an easy game. That, and the fans they had were worse than Razorback fans....

Paperclip
8/17/2006, 01:18 PM
ARRRGGGH! The Evil Empire strikes again!

OCU snags ex-OU hitter

The Oklahoman

Former Oklahoma baseball player Kody Kaiser has transferred to Oklahoma City University.
Kaiser had a falling out with his uncle, OU baseball coach Sunny Golloway, after the school denied him a full release, which would have enabled him to play at an NCAA Division I school without sitting out a year.

Instead, Kaiser will play for the Stars, an NAIA power. The Stars went 50-12 last season, winning the Sooner Athletic Conference for the fifth time in six years. OCU won 50 games for the eighth consecutive season.

Kaiser, who will be a junior, hit .306 with seven home runs, 42 RBIs and 14 stolen bases as a sophomore for Oklahoma.

As a freshman, Kaiser was named to the Baseball America freshman all-America second team.

The Los Angeles Dodgers selected Kaiser with the 773rd pick in the 26th round of the Major League Baseball draft. As a high schooler at Edmond Santa Fe, Kaiser was named Oklahoman state player of the year. As a senior, Kaiser hit .433 with 19 homers and 47 RBIs.

“He’s a proven college hitter,” OCU coach Denney Crabaugh said. “We’re looking forward to him coming in and helping us get back to Lewiston and compete for another national championship.”

Ike
8/21/2006, 04:35 PM
:D

Oh, and just so you know clip, the number of OCU players in the bigs is growing...Chris Schroeder was called up earlier this month.

OCUDad
11/14/2006, 06:59 PM
And let us not forget Freddy Sanchez -- 2006 National League Batting Champion.

Go Stars!

Paperclip
11/14/2006, 11:55 PM
Where's Felix Peguero?!! :mad:

OCUDad
11/17/2006, 09:13 PM
The last I heard of our friend Felix, he played last season for the short-season DSL (Dominican Summer League) Giants and batted a whopping .174. He did, however, hit one home run, which I am sure he enjoyed by taking a 12-minute stroll around the bases.

I suspect he will be released shortly. Should he return to Oklahoma, he is likely to suffer a beatdown from a small but tough and angry Armenian closer.