PDA

View Full Version : Postseason ban?!?

OUstud
3/9/2006, 08:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2361641

suncoastsooner7
3/9/2006, 08:42 PM
If they ban us from the post season for phone calls and wouldn't do so for Kansas and Mizzou paying players it is a travesty.

Where does the NCAA get their values from? Who in their right mind would think that what amounts to one extra phone call a week is a greater violation than literally giving players thousands of dollars in cash and bennifits?

NickZeppelin
3/9/2006, 09:00 PM
It won't happen. And if it does then no one would ever get to play in the postseason.

oumartin
3/9/2006, 09:07 PM
oh really Nick. are you on the NCAA sanctioning body?

NickZeppelin
3/9/2006, 11:11 PM
I'm just saying this is a minor violation that almost every program could get caught doing if the NCAA tried hard enough to look.

King Crimson
3/9/2006, 11:27 PM
i'll just say this and it's no more than a rumor you can take for what it's worth or not. my dad is a longtime donor and an attorney with some ties to the AD going back at least 20 years, and he thinks we might get it *a lot* harder than anyone is expecting. these are words straight out of his mouth last Saturday night at one of Denver's venerable mexican restaurants.

i can't back it up, it's just a rumor from some guy on the internet you never met. my old man doesn't BS, though.

Jimminy Crimson
3/10/2006, 12:02 AM
What we did is absolutely nothing compared to the goings on at a good number of schools.

The NCAA can kiss my ***!

sooner518
3/10/2006, 01:27 AM
i love how the NCAA knows we're making illegal phone calls, yet they wait 3 years to tell us so that we screw ourselves even more.

the NCAA is pretty much a joke these days.

NickZeppelin
3/10/2006, 02:28 AM
The only thing I can think of is that it's more then just phone calls. If it's too many phone calls then there shouldn't even be talk of a post season ban.

oumartin
3/10/2006, 02:40 AM
what, you guys haven't heard about the illegal payments?

soonerbub
3/10/2006, 02:53 AM
The violations are minor but the reason we could get the hammer is that we kept doing this over a period of years after warnings were given.

suncoastsooner7
3/10/2006, 09:00 AM
i'll just say this and it's no more than a rumor you can take for what it's worth or not. my dad is a longtime donor and an attorney with some ties to the AD going back at least 20 years, and he thinks we might get it *a lot* harder than anyone is expecting. these are words straight out of his mouth last Saturday night at one of Denver's venerable mexican restaurants.

i can't back it up, it's just a rumor from some guy on the internet you never met. my old man doesn't BS, though.

Do we have the same father? Oh you said Mexican restauraunt in Denver not Seafood joint in Destin. My bad but I have an eerily similar story. Just replace the few words I used for yours. :eek:

I thought he was full of ****, as he he tends to exagerate the problems, especially when discussing any negative aspect of KS who has had a hard on to get fired for a long time.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/10/2006, 09:27 AM
I'm concerned but the finding won't be release until April 21. So we could get a postseason ban or we could be given an apology and free car washes for one year. So I'm more concerned with what we do this postseason right now.

CincySooner
3/10/2006, 09:39 AM
I'm concerned but the finding won't be release until April 21. So we could get a postseason ban or we could be given an apology and free car washes for one year. So I'm more concerned with what we do this postseason right now.

well spoken

Salt City Sooner
3/10/2006, 01:05 PM
Considering what they've just given Ohio St. as punishment, I'd be more than a little surprised if there's a post-season ban in our future. Of course, this IS the NCAA we're talking about....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2362496

MojoRisen
3/10/2006, 02:23 PM
Sampson was the one making the calls- as we know that is a little different than Mizou right- there is no plausible deniability- spl..

When will we hear?

TopDawg
3/10/2006, 02:36 PM
Considering what they've just given Ohio St. as punishment, I'd be more than a little surprised if there's a post-season ban in our future. Of course, this IS the NCAA we're talking about....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2362496

Ohio State must take down the 1999 Final Four banner which hangs from the rafters in Value City Arena.

I hope we don't get it that bad.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/10/2006, 02:36 PM
Sampson was the one making the calls- as we know that is a little different than Mizou right- there is no plausible deniability- spl..

When will we hear?

If we were Missouri than Jabahri Brown would have wrecked a 4-wheeler last summer partying at David Boren's place and Boren's wife would be making booty calls to Brandon Foust.

Maybe they can just remove 3 phones from the LNC?

OUGreg723
3/10/2006, 03:15 PM
The NCAA has NO case against us. What a peice of crap organization they are. I mean, we are anything but a dirty program. If they do their job and go by previous rulings, there is no way we could be hurt by more than a slap on the wrist. I HATE the NCAA with all my heart. T-shirts, and Phone calls. Give me a break!! Lighten up NCAA. Worry about more important things.

MojoRisen
3/10/2006, 03:20 PM
National Communist against Athletes

This is clearly a shot in the DARK.

sooner n houston
3/10/2006, 03:37 PM
We are Oklahoma!!! We spat in their face to get college football on TV. We will NEVER live it down with them! JMHO.

OUstud
3/10/2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah, everybody, the refs, the NCAA, is out to get us. And I say that with zero sarcasm.

Crimsontothecore
3/10/2006, 06:06 PM
Pretty sad when too many phone calls gets you in more trouble than a program that covers up and enables a drunken coach. Maybe OU should start calling excessive phone calls a "disease".

oumartin
3/10/2006, 08:19 PM
so any truth that Blobert Allen is the one that turned OU in to begin with?

Frozen Sooner
3/10/2006, 08:19 PM
Here's what gets me:

The NCAA came in and said "Hey, we think you guys are making too many phone calls."

The university said "No kidding? OK, we'll take care of it and tell our coaches that the phone calls they're making are illegal."

NCAA: "No no, we want to investigate it further. Don't tell your coaches anything and we'll continue to monitor the situation."

University: "Um, shouldn't we just tell the coaches to stop?"

NCAA: "No."

(three years later)

NCAA: "Your lack of institutional controls has led to 3 years of excessive phone calls."

WTF???

oumartin
3/10/2006, 08:21 PM
I don't like it either but surely they knew the rules. the coaches that is.

Frozen Sooner
3/10/2006, 08:33 PM
Martin, a "Lack of Institutional Control" finding has nothing to do with the coaches. Technically, the NCAA can slap a school with "Lack of Institutional Control" even if no violation occurs. What they're saying is that OU's controls were not sufficient to catch and or prevent wrongdoing, and THAT's what would get us hammered out of postseason play.

The thing is that without the injunction, OU's internal controls may have caught the wrongdoing and stopped it before it got out of hand.

oumartin
3/10/2006, 08:38 PM
but, it all started with excessive phone calls did it not? I'm not being smarty. just askin

Frozen Sooner
3/10/2006, 08:43 PM
It did, and I'm not arguing at all that OU should get no penalty for the phone calls (as minor as they seem compared to other shenanigans.) The SERIOUS consequences that could be coming down are from the supposed lack of institutional control, which is a bogus charge.

oumartin
3/10/2006, 08:46 PM
gotcha, and yes, the phone calls seem minor and its odd they weren't allowed to nip it in the bud when they knew about it early. Kinda just let them hang out there.

Frozen Sooner
3/10/2006, 08:49 PM
Exactly. It's like a cop slapping a blindfold on someone who's going 1 mph over the speed limit, then citing them for reckless driving-'cause, you know, driving with a blindfold on is reckless.

boomersooner28
3/11/2006, 12:05 AM
I'm kinda for the post-season ban...it would save me some anger! ;)

KABOOKIE
3/11/2006, 12:07 AM
Well f-it. If we lose any pre-season play and/or more schollies I think it'd be time to let Calvin go.

GrapevineSooner
3/11/2006, 12:16 AM
Can we just self-impose a post-season ban for this season and call everything square? ;)

Dio
3/11/2006, 11:47 AM
We are Oklahoma!!! We spat in their face to get college football on TV. We will NEVER live it down with them! JMHO.

Bingo. The NCAA is going to crucify us every chance they get, for the rest of eternity. We are on their permanent s***-list.

OUstud
3/11/2006, 11:58 AM
To paraphrase Public Enemy, "NCAA is a joke."

CtheB
3/13/2006, 11:09 AM
You have to admit that, whether you are fond of Sampson or not, probation or sanctions of any kind are not what we need or want at OU. Even though I would like some changes in our basketball program, I don't want them to come at the expense of NCAA penalty. But I do ask, do any of you think that the NCAA's apparent hard-handed treatment of Oklahoma, in this situation, has something to do with the fact that the two assistants that left under Sampson to take head coaching jobs were also nailed by the NCAA?

MojoRisen
3/13/2006, 11:25 AM
IF they told the University about it- why wouldn't that have been leaked to the coaches to knock it off?

To me that sounds like a SNOW Job...