PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Birds

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 07:29 PM
How normal is it for birds to repeatedly fly into a window? These little stupid gray and yellow birds fly into the window at full speed and scare the crap out of you; it sounds like a golf ball hitting the window. Sometimes they even knock themselves silly doing this. But that doesn't stop them.

All week long a cardinal has been attacking the windows. He hovers near the window and pecks at it and generally goes nuts. The windows are tinted, so maybe he sees his reflection and thinks he's attacking another bird?

OUHOMER
3/9/2006, 07:42 PM
be glad its not beach and its a whale trying to come in

proud gonzo
3/9/2006, 08:58 PM
yes, if he's pecking at the window it's because it's mirrored. Spring is mating season for them, so he's probably trying to scare off the other male cardinal.

if you put a couple of those cling decal things on the window (so they can see where it is) birds will probably stop running into it.

OU-HSV
3/9/2006, 09:03 PM
Crazy that you mention this. I've got about a ten foot wide sliding glass door from my dining room to my deck. The other evening I was crawling around on the floor by the dining room table playing with my son and 3 birds were chasing eachother and hit the window about 4 times. I was like wtf.

proud gonzo
3/9/2006, 09:04 PM
decals, people, decals!

GottaHavePride
3/9/2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah, small birds (heck, a lot of large birds) are idiots. They see a reflection of sky and assume it's actually sky they can fly through. Put a sticker or something on your window and they'll avoid it 'cause they'll assume it will try to eat them.

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 09:18 PM
if you put a couple of those cling decal things on the window (so they can see where it is) birds will probably stop running into it.

I guess any kind of decal will work? If the decal has to be on the outside of the windows there might be a problem since it's an office building. Also, there are a lot of windows.

GottaHavePride
3/9/2006, 09:22 PM
In that case just tell them not to clean the winows so well. ;)

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 09:35 PM
Put a sticker or something on your window and they'll avoid it 'cause they'll assume it will try to eat them.

These birds do not scare easily. If one is sitting outisde on the window ledge pecking away you can walk right up to it and start pounding on the window, and the bird won't even flinch. The windows are double paned so I guess the birds can't see or hear us. That's not too good when the woodpecker that lives in the woods behind the building takes a shining to the window behind my desk. And nothing gets your attention like a three-foot tall wild turkey pecking at the window. :eek:

OU-HSV
3/9/2006, 09:38 PM
My glass doors have smudged baby hand prints on them...geeze you think that would serve as the decals/stickers, I guess not.

Penguin
3/9/2006, 09:39 PM
The other evening I was crawling around on the floor by the dining room table looking for my crack pipe and 3 birds were chasing eachother and hit the window about 4 times. I was like wtf.

Those weren't birds.

OU-HSV
3/9/2006, 09:43 PM
Those weren't birds.
My bad :O :D