PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/9/2006, 06:12 PM
Any suggestions on places to stay? My friends are getting married there in May and the condo they are renting is supa.expensive.

I'm not sure I see the point in an all inclusive, because I don't know how much I will be at the actual hotel.

I do want an ocean view.

Any suggestions?

GDC
3/9/2006, 06:13 PM
I usually end up sleeping on the street when I go to Mexico.

crawfish
3/9/2006, 06:17 PM
My office-mate travels there two or three times a year for scuba diving. I'll ask him when I'm in the office tomorrow.

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 06:18 PM
Bruh, Cazumel took it on the chin from Hurricane Wilma - she made landfall
down there as a cat 4, and hung around for two days before leaving for Florida.

I'd talk to someone that knows for sure about the status of the city before I went there.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
Wasn't Cozumel pretty much wiped out during one of the hurricanes last year? I doubt if much of it has been rebuilt. Of course, the ocean isn't going anywhere.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
Bro, Cazumel took it on the chin from Hurricane Wilma - she made landfall
down there as a cat 4, and hung around for two days before leaving for Florida.

I'd talk to someone that knows for sure about the status of the city before I went there.Who are you calling bro?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/9/2006, 06:19 PM
Wasn't Cozumel pretty much wiped out during one of the hurricanes last year? I doubt if much of it has been rebuilt. Of course, the ocean isn't going anywhere.My friend who is getting married there said much of it has been rebuilt.

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 06:20 PM
Who are you calling bro?

I meant the perverbial "bruh", and edited it for that. General street slang.

How bout a "sistah" :D

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 06:20 PM
My friend who is getting married there said much of it has been rebuilt.

Wilma was after Katrina, how have they beat us rebuilding?

:confused: :confused:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/9/2006, 06:23 PM
Dude, I have no idea. I wondered that myself. I think parts of it are still under disrepair.

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 06:25 PM
well sistah, I have no idea.

But seriously, check with someone that has been there recently before you spend $1

Mjcpr
3/9/2006, 06:28 PM

Step 1 - Don't hire anyone from New Orleans to work
Step 2 - Everything else will fall into place

Penguin
3/9/2006, 06:45 PM

We're talking about a resort area in Mexico. I would hope they would be busting their butts to get it repaired ASAP.

mrowl
3/9/2006, 07:03 PM
just had a friend come back from there, he said that the resorts were fine, but the town itself is still in bad shape.

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2006, 07:17 PM

Mexican construction labor is like right there on the street waiting to be asked. You don't even have to take the time to make up a SSN.

trwxxa
3/9/2006, 08:16 PM
just had a friend come back from there, he said that the resorts were fine, but the town itself is still in bad shape.

I've heard the same. The tourist shopping area is pretty much rebuilt for the cruise lines, but most of the beaches have not been restored.

You could go to Coz on a cruise ship, get off the ship, go to the wedding, get back on the ship;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/9/2006, 08:48 PM
I think I'm going to do one of the Funjet packages, but not the all inclusive. I don't think I'd be at the hotel enough for an all inclusive deal to be worth it.

AlbqSooner
3/9/2006, 08:57 PM
While in Cozumel, make sure you try the Lime Soup. I know it sounds pretty yucky but it is a traditional Mayan dish and it is really very good.

As far as the beaches being restored, on the West side of the island, which is where all the tourist are, the beaches didn't amount to much anyway. The east side is where you find beaches as we think of them, but for that you need to rent a jeep and there is not much there other than the beach.

Al Gore
3/9/2006, 09:55 PM
Mexican construction labor is like right there on the street waiting to be asked. You don't even have to take the time to make up a SSN.legal labor spek......

Fugue
3/9/2006, 10:03 PM
Mexican construction labor is like right there on the street waiting to be asked. You don't even have to take the time to make up a SSN.

good point, they probably had it cleaned up and repaired in a matter of weeks. They did in Cancun.

Jimminy Crimson
3/9/2006, 11:46 PM
Eat at Pancho's Backyard. Their guac is good sheet.

Also, don't get a hotel. Just go to a club when you get there and find some sugar daddy and sweet talk your way into staying in his private villa or yacht or something. CHA-CHING! :D

crawfish
3/10/2006, 08:48 AM
Casa Mexicana, according to my office-mate.

sooneron
3/10/2006, 08:57 AM
Does W have a location there?

IB4OU2
3/10/2006, 09:03 AM
I think I'm going to do one of the Funjet packages, but not the all inclusive. I don't think I'd be at the hotel enough for an all inclusive deal to be worth it.

Wear lots of sunscreen, we know how fair skinned you are............

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/10/2006, 09:32 AM
Well that Casa Mexicana is on the list for Funjet, so we'll see. Thanks!

sooneron
3/10/2006, 09:43 AM
I only stay at the W

3/10/2006, 09:59 AM
Every time I've been diving there, I stay at the Hotel Barracuda. $71 a night for a place to sleep. It is a dump, but when I'm down there, I don't spend much time in the room.

http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/barracuda/

And those pics are very flattering. And DO NOT drink the bottled water in the halls. I got sick as an old sick thing drinking that. The day I was ill, I was sitting on the balcony and saw the hotel employees filling the "fresh" water bottles with a common garden hose. A walk to the farmacia for a couple gallons of distilled water did the trick.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/10/2006, 10:20 AM
http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/barracuda/buzoa.gif
Is that you in the green bikini?

crawfish
3/10/2006, 10:21 AM
Every time I've been diving there, I stay at the Hotel Barracuda. $71 a night for a place to sleep. It is a dump, but when I'm down there, I don't spend much time in the room.

http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/barracuda/

And those pics are very flattering. And DO NOT drink the bottled water in the halls. I got sick as an old sick thing drinking that. The day I was ill, I was sitting on the balcony and saw the hotel employees filling the "fresh" water bottles with a common garden hose. A walk to the farmacia for a couple gallons of distilled water did the trick.

From my office-mate: "Pretty much anywhere except the Hotel Barracuda"...

:D

GDC
3/10/2006, 10:21 AM
Man, I miss Mexico sometimes.:(

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/10/2006, 10:24 AM
Wear lots of sunscreen, we know how fair skinned you are............I'm gonna start fake baking next week

C&CDean
3/10/2006, 10:28 AM
I'm gonna start fake baking next week

fagette

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/10/2006, 10:48 AM
fagetteNo, they aren't into that