PDA

View Full Version : How much should it cost to get new brake pads and rotors?

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2006, 04:26 PM
My girlfriend needs this done on her Mustang and I have no idea about this kind of thing, and don't want her to get ripped off. Any suggestion? What is the deal with places like Just Brakes and they're $99 all four tires specials (http://www.justbrakes.com/xpadsshoeslife.htm)? Is machining a rotor the same as replacing it?

TIA

oumartin
3/9/2006, 04:31 PM
they can turn the rotors once. if all four wheels have disk brakes you can do it yerself in a couple hours. have the rotors turned or replace them.

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 04:34 PM
My girlfriend needs this done on her Mustang and I have no idea about this kind of thing, and don't want her to get ripped off. Any suggestion? What is the deal with places like Just Brakes and they're $99 all four tires specials (http://www.justbrakes.com/xpadsshoeslife.htm)? Is machiNing a rotor the same as replacing it?

TIA

Machining a rotor is not the same as replacing it. I'd beware of places like Just Brakes. They get you in the door with the $99 special and then they magically discover $500 worth of problems with your brakes.

Ike
I've changed my own brake pads several times, and the parts usually run around 20 bucks for the pads alone, and can be done in less than an hour. for the rotors, Im not so sure how much the parts run, but I don't think its much more work than changing the pads.

I have no idea what Just Brakes does, but machining a rotor is not the same as replacing it. but functionally, it should be *mostly* the same as changing it. they just grind the sumbitch down till there aren't any more grooves in it. as long as it still maintains some degree of thickness (I have no idea how much), that should be just as good.

slickdawg
I'm sure the $99 is just for new brake pads. Machining (turning) the rotor
essentially smoothes the surface so the new pads work right. As oumartin said, you can usually turn rotors only one time and they need to be replaced.
Those are typically expensive. Get a couple of those "free estimates" and see what they have to say.

SOONER44EVER
What year is the Mustang? You can change the pads for about $40. If the rotors/drums need to be turned its about $7.50 each. $75 max if you do it yourself. Take it to a national chain repair place and you'll definitely get ripped off.

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 04:36 PM
And its probably just the front brakes that need repair but check the rear ones.

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2006, 04:38 PM
What year is the Mustang? You can change the pads for about $40. If the rotors/drums need to be turned its about $7.50 each. $75 max if you do it yourself. Take it to a national chain repair place and you'll definitely get ripped off.

What if two rotors have to be replaced? How much would that run, do you think? Thanks for the help.

sooner n houston
3/9/2006, 04:39 PM
They are going to stick it to you for turning the rotors. This is the oldest game in the brake scam business. Unless your GF drove around for months with her breakes squeaking, the rotars are just fine.
Take your car to an "honest" repair shop to have the work done. Stay away from thes "$99 come-on" specalist. YWIA!

Nab'R
3/9/2006, 04:39 PM
Are you sure they even need turning?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 04:40 PM
lug wrench
c-clamp
whatever socket the two bolts are that go through the calipers
long screwdriver in case the caliper is rusted to its backing
that stickum crap for the back of the pads

anything i've forgotten?

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 04:40 PM
What if two rotors have to be replaced? How much would that run, do you think? Thanks for the help.
That depends on the year and model of the car. At least $50 each for the rotors. Probably more.

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 04:41 PM
They will buy new rotors from your local auto parts dealer, mark them up
2 or 3X, and sell them to you "installed". It's a screw job.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 04:41 PM
rotors vary on the model. i got some slotted ones for my mitsu for $125 a piece.

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 04:42 PM
Take it to a local mechanic and get an estimate. Ask lots of questions.

GDC
3/9/2006, 04:43 PM
Unless you're Lid or something you should do this yourself.

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 04:44 PM
Unless you're a total loser like Lid or something you should do this yourself.

word!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 04:45 PM
hey. i forgot the jack and jackstands. some type of sack for the rotors and pads is also handy as that dust gets every where.

Mjcpr
3/9/2006, 04:46 PM
hey. i forgot the jack and jackstands. some type of sack for the rotors and pads is also handy as that dust gets every where.

CVS is out.

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 04:47 PM
And a big hammer! :D

Ike
3/9/2006, 04:47 PM
lug wrench
c-clamp
whatever socket the two bolts are that go through the calipers
long screwdriver in case the caliper is rusted to its backing
that stickum crap for the back of the pads

anything i've forgotten?

that sounds about right.

the C clamp should be a pretty large one.
If you don't have one, or dont want to spend the 2 bucks to buy one, another option is to give it a couple of good whacks with a mallet.

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 04:48 PM
What year is the Mustang? I've had several and changed lots of brakes.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 04:50 PM
i also forgot the pin grease for the pins in the calipre.

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 04:51 PM
And the six-pack!

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'll keepo you posted.

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 04:52 PM
And the six-pack!
......................per wheel. :D

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 04:53 PM
What year is it????

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 04:54 PM
They are going to stick it to you for turning the rotors. This is the oldest game in the brake scam business. Unless your GF drove around for months with her breakes squeaking, the rotars are just fine.

What else could be causing a vibration when you apply the brakes?

slickdawg
What year is it????

Dude, lay off the six-packs!

:D

SOONER44EVER
What else could be causing a vibration when you apply the brakes?
Warped rotors or drums.

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 04:56 PM
Warped rotors or drums.

At less than 40,000 miles? I'm not exactly hard on my brakes, either.

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 04:57 PM
You can warp the rotors in 5 minutes by just getting them too hot.

C&CDean
3/9/2006, 04:58 PM
Bring it by the ranch. Bring a bottle of Crown or Bushmill's, and the pads. We'll do it together in an hour or less. It ain't hard.

1. Don't turn the rotors unless they're damaged. All you're doing is grinding away good steel and reducing the life of the rotor. If you'll replace the pads before the rotors get damaged, they'll last the life of the vehicle.

2. Don't buy new rotors unless the old ones are damaged beyond being able to turn them. I've seen them get warped, but when that happens you'll know about it cause you'll get a hell of a pulsing sensation when you brake.

3. Don't listen to the guys who say you can only turn them once. It's a good rule of thumb, but you have to put a micrometer on them. I've turned rotors and brake drums numerous times. It's OK, as long as you don't go beyond the minimum thickness for that particular rotor/drum. The problem is most people turn way too much material off them the first time and then you can only turn them once.

I don't know on a Mustang (what year?) but pads shouldn't be over $20 or so a set. Call your local O'Reilly's or Autozone and price them.

And I'm serious about bringing the car by. You need a trip up here anyhow.

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 05:02 PM
You can warp the rotors in 5 minutes by just getting them too hot.

Right, but it's not like I drive around with my foot on the brake pedal. No panic stops followed by driving through an icy puddle, either.

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 05:05 PM
Right, but it's not like I drive around with my foot on the brake pedal. No panic stops followed by driving through an icy puddle, either.
It just has to happen once.

Oldnslo
3/9/2006, 05:11 PM
Bring it by the ranch. Bring a bottle of Crown or Bushmill's, and the pads. We'll do it together in an hour or less. It ain't hard.

1. Don't turn the rotors unless they're damaged. All you're doing is grinding away good steel and reducing the life of the rotor. If you'll replace the pads before the rotors get damaged, they'll last the life of the vehicle.

2. Don't buy new rotors unless the old ones are damaged beyond being able to turn them. I've seen them get warped, but when that happens you'll know about it cause you'll get a hell of a pulsing sensation when you brake.

3. Don't listen to the guys who say you can only turn them once. It's a good rule of thumb, but you have to put a micrometer on them. I've turned rotors and brake drums numerous times. It's OK, as long as you don't go beyond the minimum thickness for that particular rotor/drum. The problem is most people turn way too much material off them the first time and then you can only turn them once.

I don't know on a Mustang (what year?) but pads shouldn't be over $20 or so a set. Call your local O'Reilly's or Autozone and price them.

And I'm serious about bringing the car by. You need a trip up here anyhow.
Brother Dean is right and wrong... depending. Some manufacturers specify less metal in the rotor than others. I know Mercedes has thicker rotors than BMW (BMW wants to save weight, and recommends changing rotors and pads at the same time). I don't know where Ford has spec'd the Mustang, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were completely different than truck-spec brakes.

However, in the grand scheme, rotors aren't so costly. I'm going lights-out upgrading mine, and it's only a couple hunny to do all 4. You can even get pads that don't have to be seated. Check out EBC's website. Most people go with Green.

Oldnslo
3/9/2006, 05:25 PM
Lookie! (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html)

yermom
3/9/2006, 06:00 PM
i'm not looking forward to replacing my Brembos

SoonerInKCMO
3/9/2006, 06:19 PM

I warped the rotors on my Galant about every 20,000 miles. The '99 models simply had undersized front rotors that couldn't handle the size of car... I think they fixed that in the '00 or '01 model year.

Stanley1
3/9/2006, 06:44 PM
CVS talk to me, I'll have my dad price the entire process. And no, don't do it yourself. Its not easy if you've never seen it done.

Oldnslo
3/9/2006, 09:29 PM
CVS talk to me, I'll have my dad price the entire process. And no, don't do it yourself. Its not easy if you've never seen it done.
? Does he have an awesome set of tools?

Stanley1
3/9/2006, 09:30 PM

He's owned his own shop since he was 20 or so, so I'd say yea, he probably does.

Mjcpr
3/9/2006, 09:47 PM

Righteous.

http://www.ninos-sa.org/nostalgia/images/spicoli04_jpeg.jpg

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 10:06 AM
Well, I got there and they were already done. She HAD been driving on squeaky brakes for "a while" :(. I didn't know because we always take my car everywhere. The mechanic said the rotors we shot. She knows these people through work and the treated her well. 2 New pads, 2 new rotors, 2 hrs. labor, about $160.00. That doesn't seem too bad. Wish I grew up knowing more about cars.

Thanks for everyone's help. Stanley, I had already left to go pick her up or I would have called. Was in a hurry to get to the women's game last night.

yermom
3/10/2006, 10:11 AM
i'd say that was a good deal...

C&CDean
3/10/2006, 10:33 AM
WHAT ****ING YEAR IS THE ****ING CAR!!!!

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 10:40 AM

Sorry about that, it is a 2000 and has 100,000 miles on it.

C&CDean
3/10/2006, 10:41 AM
V-6, V-8 - what size?

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 10:53 AM
V-6 Automatic

yermom
3/10/2006, 10:56 AM
V-6 Automatic

i just threw up a little in my mouth

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 11:01 AM
i just threw up a little in my mouth

That's not very nice :( ;)

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 11:04 AM
I wonder if my brake problem isn't really a brake problem. I get a vibration in the steering wheel when use the brakes above 45 MPH or, but no vibration in the the brake pedal. :confused:

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 11:38 AM
I wonder if my brake problem isn't really a brake problem. I get a vibration in the steering wheel when use the brakes above 45 MPH or, but no vibration in the the brake pedal. :confused:

Her's was making a grinding, shuddering noise when she stop.

yermom
3/10/2006, 11:57 AM

i don't think i've ever felt it in the brake pedal

yermom
3/10/2006, 11:59 AM
That's not very nice :( ;)

ok, that might be a bit harsh, it's not like a guy is driving it

that, like an Eclipse or Beetle, is a prototypical chick car

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 12:00 PM
ok, that might be a bit harsh, it's not like a guy is driving it

that, like an Eclipse or Beetle, is a prototypical chick car

I agree. The Eclipse is the king though. Not even a contest. :D

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:04 PM
i don't think i've ever felt it in the brake pedal

So you're saying it probably is a warped rotor?

yermom
3/10/2006, 12:07 PM
that would be my un-professional opinion

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 12:13 PM

If I wanted a professional opinion on anything this is the last place I would ask. :D

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 12:14 PM

You're the worst mechanic evar. ;)

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 12:15 PM

I SAID ****ING 2000 AND IT'S A ****ING V-6 AUTOMATIC!! ****!!!

Stanley1
3/10/2006, 12:46 PM
Well, I got there and they were already done. She HAD been driving on squeaky brakes for "a while" :(. I didn't know because we always take my car everywhere. The mechanic said the rotors we shot. She knows these people through work and the treated her well. 2 New pads, 2 new rotors, 2 hrs. labor, about $160.00. That doesn't seem too bad. Wish I grew up knowing more about cars.

Thanks for everyone's help. Stanley, I had already left to go pick her up or I would have called. Was in a hurry to get to the women's game last night.

Doesn't seem bad to me. Pads were probably $30, rotors $30 apiece, and $30-40 and hour for labor.

If I ever can't make it home, I may ask where that place is. Might have to have your g/f and/or you go with me, you know, to make sure I get treated right.

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 12:53 PM
Doesn't seem bad to me. Pads were probably $30, rotors $30 apiece, and $30-40 and hour for labor.

If I ever can't make it home, I may ask where that place is. Might have to have your g/f and/or you go with me, you know, to make sure I get treated right.

It was Manuel Dodge on 75. Yeah, they gave her everything at what they called "cost". They had to call and get her pads and rotors since they were a dodge place I assume, and didn't mark them up. I asked her if I could take mine their sometime, but she said they don't usually work on Fords. Probably casue she's so perty. :D

C&CDean
3/10/2006, 01:03 PM
You did semi-OK at $160.

I can get the pads for $17.99, and rotors for $34.99 a piece. About $88 in parts. The dealership that did the work can get them even cheaper than me on a jobber rate. You paid about $100 in labor. Which is close to 3 hours at a $35 per hour rate.

Just so you know, an average mechanic (me) can replace front brakes and rotors in less than 20 minutes.

And tell your GF to not wait until she hears grinding noises to get her brakes checked. In fact, you probably oughta trade her in on a smarter/newer model I'm thinking.

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 01:08 PM
Just so you know, an average mechanic (me) can replace front brakes and rotors in less than 20 minutes.

Which means they probably did in 15 minutes but charged her the 3-hour book rate anyway.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/10/2006, 01:20 PM

ugh, i hate these problems because it could be suspension or brakes. easiest way is to get down there and pull on the tie rods and see if they are loose. that is one part of the car that you do not want to have give.

mdklatt
3/10/2006, 01:38 PM
ugh, i hate these problems because it could be suspension or brakes. easiest way is to get down there and pull on the tie rods and see if they are loose. that is one part of the car that you do not want to have give.

Crap, I didn't even think of that. I just had a major scheduled maintenance done. They're supposed to check stuff like that, but who knows?

yermom
3/10/2006, 02:10 PM

yeah, ask :dolemite: about that one ;)

Oldnslo
3/10/2006, 02:26 PM
Her's was making a grinding, shuddering noise when she stop.
I do that, too.

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 02:26 PM
You did semi-OK at $160.

I can get the pads for $17.99, and rotors for $34.99 a piece. About $88 in parts. The dealership that did the work can get them even cheaper than me on a jobber rate. You paid about $100 in labor. Which is close to 3 hours at a $35 per hour rate.

And tell your GF to not wait until she hears grinding noises to get her brakes checked. In fact, you probably oughta trade her in on a smarter/newer model I'm thinking.

Thanks for the breakdown. I think I'll stick with this model. She's good to me, very easy on the eyes, a good person and a Sooner who loves football to boot. Just chalk this up to a lesson learned.

Thanks again.