PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think of Lawton?

OklahomaRed
3/9/2006, 02:59 PM
What is your opinion of Lawton, Oklahoma?

OU Adonis
3/9/2006, 03:05 PM
I have a poor opinion of lawton, I will just leave it at that out of respect for our lawton posters. :D

3/9/2006, 03:07 PM
There is a restaurant called Cocina de WaWa. I never ate there, but the name was catchy enough to make me remember it over 15 years later.

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 03:08 PM
I have no opinion.

Mjcpr
3/9/2006, 03:11 PM
There is a restaurant called Cocina de WaWa. I never ate there, but the name was catchy enough to make me remember it over 15 years later.

I think that translates to Wow, Wow, the Coochie!

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 03:12 PM
I encountered some nasty wind shear when I landed at the minicipal airport, and I've flown a simulated GCA approach to Henry Post AAF (which was totally cool).

That's the sum total of my Lawton experience.

Rhino
3/9/2006, 03:12 PM
Rotten Lawton.

Pieces Hit
3/9/2006, 03:13 PM
I hear the Police force is highly overweight.

(Law-ton)

3/9/2006, 03:13 PM
Shecky Hit, ladies and gentlemen.

King Crimson
3/9/2006, 03:15 PM
all the golf courses are pretty average.

PDXsooner
3/9/2006, 03:27 PM
lawton is a dump

i was born there, so lived there in '71 (don't remember that) but do remember living there from '83-'87 and again from '87-'89. it is an all-american craphole.

okienole3
3/9/2006, 03:40 PM
Pretty good if you like pawn shops and liquor stores.

jk the sooner fan
3/9/2006, 03:40 PM
i lived there for 3 years....weird town....drive down one street and see some really nice houses, turn the corner and you're in dumpsville

lawton = hole.......imo

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 03:43 PM
weird town....drive down one street and see some really nice houses, turn the corner and you're in dumpsville

Sounds like Houston.

yermom
3/9/2006, 03:46 PM
i have never really heard good things about that place

Mjcpr
3/9/2006, 03:47 PM
Does anyone here happen to work for the Lawton Chamber of Commerce?

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 03:49 PM
I bet if you're from Walters, Lawton is the shiznit.

Mjcpr
3/9/2006, 03:51 PM
Every post I've been to has them: Leesville,LA; JunkTown, KS; Phoenix City, AL; Wrightsville, NJ

Stan, isn't this where you're from? I can never remember.

:confused:

jk the sooner fan
3/9/2006, 03:53 PM
my oldest son is headed to junktown, ks monday......

mdklatt
Stan, isn't this where you're from? I can never remember.

That sounds like the place Howzit goes short shopping.

OUstudent4life
Lawton = the most obvious place in the US with both big town (crime, drugs, etc) and small town (lack of really anything to do) problems.

It's a hole. The guy I work with in the lab is from there, and he get's PO'd anytime anyone mentions that he's from there. So that happens regularly :D.

The best thing going for Lawton: China Wok Express. Best. Fastfood chinese. Evar.

Mmmmmmm...chicken in garlic sauce, no vegetables.

Pieces Hit
3/9/2006, 03:54 PM
I went to school with a guy from Lawton.
He said it sucked and I thought he was a jerk.
It's also close to Texas?
That's all I knows.

jeremy885
3/9/2006, 03:55 PM
i lived there for 3 years....weird town....drive down one street and see some really nice houses, turn the corner and you're in dumpsville

lawton = hole.......imo

Same goes for Tulsa and OKC.

I grew up and lived there until I transferred to OU. It's ok as medium sized OK cities go. Cameron Univerisity's Business school is actually pretty good. When I transferred to OU, the classes at OU that I had to retake were easier and the average OU professor was worse than the average Cameron professor in regards to their knowledge and teaching ability.

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 03:55 PM
The biggest trailer park I've ever seen is in Lawton.

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 03:59 PM
Same goes for...OKC.

True. There's an odd mix of real estate around OCU. I also like the pretententious subdivisions in far south Oklahoma City that are fronted by the next step up from a dirt road.

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 04:01 PM
I remember it as a typical Army post (Ft Sill) town. Liquor stores, pawn shops and, when I was there (not sure about now), prostitutes walking up and down certain streets.
Every post I've been to has them: Leesville,LA; JunkTown, KS; Phoenix City, AL; Wrightstown, NJ

Yep, every town with a military base is an armpit. That's one rule of life that you can always count on.

frankensooner
3/9/2006, 04:03 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I lived there for 18 months and it was the longest 3 years of my life.

PDXsooner
3/9/2006, 04:29 PM
if you want to be seen as cool in lawton, you either have to fight really well or be an athlete. oh, or be a gangster.

jeremy885
3/9/2006, 04:34 PM
if you want to be seen as cool in lawton when you under 18, you either have to fight really well, drive a nice car, have money or be an athlete. oh, or be a gangster.

How is that different then anywhere else?

FaninAma
3/9/2006, 05:16 PM
Tough crowd.

A question for all of you elitists living out of state: is there anywhere in Oklahoma you would consider living? :cool:

SOONER44EVER
3/9/2006, 05:20 PM
What is your opinion of Lawton, Oklahoma?
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/img/health/armpit.jpg

OU Adonis
3/9/2006, 05:23 PM
I love OKC.

Nab'R
3/9/2006, 05:29 PM
Tough crowd.

A question for all of you elitists living out of state: is there anywhere in Oklahoma you would consider living? :cool:
Little Axe. I hear they're getting a Sonic!

OhU1
3/9/2006, 05:43 PM
The best thing going for Lawton: China Wok Express. Best. Fastfood chinese. Evar.
I can vouch for that. When I had a job prospect to possibly go back to Norman the thought of losing China Wok Express was what bothered me most! I order Hot and Spicy Chicken there so much the lady behind the counter gets confused if I order something else.

Lawton is where I work and live during the week. I always come to Norman on the weekend. So Lawton is OK with me. Lawton does have a really nice park - Lake Elmer Thomas park. It has a 2-mile track going around it, a big lake, and thousands of prairie dogs making squeaking noises at you to stay away from their den.

What everyone said about military towns is true. To that list I would add that every other car is "pimped out", has a small Puerto Rican flag, or a decal of that boy peeing on a Ford or Chevy symbol.

jdsooner
3/9/2006, 06:04 PM
The best thing about Lawton is that it is close to Meers.

SoonerInKCMO
3/9/2006, 06:14 PM
Tough crowd.

OKC or Tulsa, yes.

Lawton, no.

GDC
3/9/2006, 06:32 PM
It's a lot like Killeen?

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 06:34 PM
It's a lot like Killeen?

The Luby's in Lawton has fewer bullet holes.

Al Gore
3/9/2006, 10:29 PM
my oldest son is headed to junktown, ks monday......What is Junktown KS???

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 10:32 PM
What is Junktown KS???

Junction City, maybe? That's close to Fort Riley.

Al Gore
3/9/2006, 10:33 PM
Must be Junction City......real sh1thole.......With all the increased military spending there...maybe they will clean it up....

afs
3/9/2006, 10:56 PM
Yep, every town with a military base is an armpit. That's one rule of life that you can always count on.
Tucson, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Tampa, DC, Las Vegas, Denver, Co Springs, San Diego, San Fran, Ft Worth, Norfolk, Abq,

PDXsooner
3/9/2006, 10:58 PM
fan - i'd live in norman, tulsa, even okc. actually, the wichita "mountain" wildlife refuge is a great place. just not lawton. lawton is the devil's taint.

afs
3/9/2006, 11:04 PM
i'd live in Enid before I lived in Ponca.

GDC
3/10/2006, 09:29 AM
Tucson, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Tampa, DC, Las Vegas, Denver, Co Springs, San Diego, San Fran, Ft Worth, Norfolk, Abq,

Alamogarbage, Hell Paso, etc.

sooneron
3/10/2006, 09:40 AM
Tough crowd.

ooh, ooh, I'm an out of state elitist.
I am about to buy some acreage east of Norman.

I have never had a good opinion of Lawton, cept for a camp gf of mine, she had the best legs I'd seen to that point! She even won the award at camp for best legs! And yes, it was a church camp. And yes, she was from Ike. And no, I didn't hit it. :(

sooneron
3/10/2006, 09:49 AM
Oh, Fan, I would be proud to live anywhere in Oklahoma as long as the neighbors don't play the music too loud and there are no snotty nosed kids running wild. ;)
You just described every f'ing hillbilly neighborhood in the state!:D

Harry Beanbag
3/10/2006, 09:51 AM
I'd like to qualify my earlier post that implied all military towns are crapholes.

They are. But it's not because of the installation or people. It's because soldiers, jarheads, swabbies and (:rolleyes: airmen) get crap pay, work crap hours and are young and stupid - like all young people are. Plus, they are usually away doing grunt work so the rest of us can complain about crap.

Oh, Fan, I would be proud to live anywhere in Oklahoma as long as the neighbors don't play the music too loud and there are no snotty nosed kids running wild. ;)

Usually it's not the entire cities, just the areas immediately surrounding them. The areas are usually older and filled with people and businesses who prey upon and take advantage of very young and naive enlisted personnel.

C&CDean
3/10/2006, 10:00 AM
Lawton. Hmmm. I was stationed at Ft. Sill for a while. I vaguely remember a place called the Korean Lounge or something like that right off post.

I go down by Lawton (Wichita Mts.) a couple times a year. It's pretty nice. I've gone into Lawton maybe 4 times since 1974 when I was stationed there.

My opinion? It's OK. Probably a little higher than average gang activity for a town it's size (Army brats for the most part), but it's pretty cheap to live there and there's nice areas of town.

If I had my choice to live in L.A., NYC, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Washington, DC, Atlanta, or Lawton I'd take Lawton. In a heartbeat.

jeremy885
3/10/2006, 10:05 AM
Lawton. Hmmm. I was stationed at Ft. Sill for a while. I vaguely remember a place called the Korean Lounge or something like that right off post.

I go down by Lawton (Wichita Mts.) a couple times a year. It's pretty nice. I've gone into Lawton maybe 4 times since 1974 when I was stationed there.

My opinion? It's OK. Probably a little higher than average gang activity for a town it's size (Army brats for the most part), but it's pretty cheap to live there and there's nice areas of town.

If I had my choice to live in L.A., NYC, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Washington, DC, Atlanta, or Lawton I'd take Lawton. In a heartbeat.

From the last I heard, Lawton was closing down places like the Korean Lounge. Most of the strip clubs have been closed down or moved outside of the city limits. I think the Gold(en)sp? Dragon is still open though.

jk the sooner fan
3/10/2006, 10:27 AM
i consider myself an expert on military towns.....what makes a bad one good, is its proximity to another larger town

for instance - killeen (fort hood) - hour+ drive to austin, for a single soldier, thats gold

lawton - 90 minutes to OKC....eh

etc etc etc

and the road in Lawton with the hookers, strip clubs, pawn shops, etc.....FT SILL BLVD

Sheridan Road has its share as well