PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration

Beef
3/9/2006, 10:47 AM
Any experts on here? I'm in the process of building an outdoor bar and grill, and I was wondering if I really need to pay double the price for a beer dispenser and refrigerator that are specifically "approved" for outdoor use. The area will be outside, but under a roof with ceiling fans, so the appliances will be in the shade and well circulated. I don't see how this area will be any different from people keeping refrigerators in a garage. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2006, 10:48 AM
Can I have some of said beer?

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I think we need to come over, drink, and think about it.

Beef
3/9/2006, 10:51 AM
Can I have some of said beer?
If I can keep it properly cold without breaking the bank. Help me here, dammit, or there will be no beer to drink. Think of the beer.

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 10:52 AM
You talking about a kegerator?

Beef
3/9/2006, 10:54 AM
You talking about a kegerator?
Yes. The price of one doubles if it is approved for outdoor use, but I think it being in the shade constantly with circulation should allow me to buy the cheaper model.

mrowl
3/9/2006, 10:57 AM
Yes. The price of one doubles if it is approved for outdoor use, but I think it being in the shade constantly with circulation should allow me to buy the cheaper model.

are you putting it in a cabinet of some sort? brick, stone? that would help keep cool I think... or not...

sanantoniosooner
3/9/2006, 10:57 AM
Why would somebody named beef be worried about refrigeration?

Dude, you're spoiled.

Beef
3/9/2006, 10:58 AM
are you putting it in a cabinet of some sort? brick, stone? that would help keep cool I think... or not...
Yeah. I'm building it into a bar. I might put styrofoam around it for extra insulation.

IB4OU2
3/9/2006, 10:59 AM
Any experts on here? I'm in the process of building an outdoor bar and grill, and I was wondering if I really need to pay double the price for a beer dispenser and refrigerator that are specifically "approved" for outdoor use. The area will be outside, but under a roof with ceiling fans, so the appliances will be in the shade and well circulated. I don't see how this area will be any different from people keeping refrigerators in a garage. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

What? No hot tub for tacos?

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 10:59 AM

If you're doing that, then you might be concerned about where the vents are on it. The outdoor models have vents in the front so you can enclose them.

mrowl
3/9/2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah. I'm building it into a bar. I might put styrofoam around it for extra insulation.

wouldn't that be like putting a fridge in the garage? those work fine...

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 11:01 AM

I just did a quick Google search and noticed that huge price jump. What's the difference between indoor and outdoor? Extra insulation? Beefier compressor?

sanantoniosooner
3/9/2006, 11:04 AM
I just did a quick Google search and noticed that huge price jump. What's the difference between indoor and outdoor? Extra insulation? Beefier compressor?
rust resistance.
more protection on wiring.
different venting.
Probably built in GFIC.

Beef
3/9/2006, 11:05 AM
I asked a salesman at BBQ Galore about the difference, and he said it's a beefier compressor. Notice he was a salesman, so of course he wants you to pay double. I just don't know if it's a necessity or a luxury. I don't want no warm stinking beer.

Beef
3/9/2006, 11:09 AM
rust resistance.
more protection on wiring.
different venting.
Probably built in GFIC.
So would all of this be necessary if it's protected from the elements and plugged into a GFIC outlet? As long as it's well ventilated? I would unplug it and move it to the garage during the 2 weeks that are winter in Dallas.

sanantoniosooner
3/9/2006, 11:14 AM
I think that rust would probably be a problem outside even if it was sheltered. Parts that you can't see and even in the finish of the paint.

Parts are probably protected from rodents better. Mice or bugs could screw up a regular model easier because of the easier access to wiring and equipment.

Hey, some are cheap enough that you can try it. You might get a year, or you might get 10 years.

If I were going to BUILD something permanent, I would make sure the specs would fit a nice model in the event you have to get one down the road.

GottaHavePride
3/9/2006, 11:39 AM
I asked a salesman at BBQ Galore about the difference, and he said it's a beefier compressor. Notice he was a salesman, so of course he wants you to pay double. I just don't know if it's a necessity or a luxury. I don't want no warm stinking beer.

the only reason I can think that you might need is is because of heat transfer. The fridge cools by dumping heat to the outside. (That's why the back of your fridge is always warm. If it's already pretty freaking hot outside, then that process gets much less efficient, and you might want the bigger compressor.

Beef
3/9/2006, 11:50 AM
If I were going to BUILD something permanent, I would make sure the specs would fit a nice model in the event you have to get one down the road.
This is the major problem. If I build something to hold the "cheapo" model and it fries, I'm in deep **** if I can't get a good one that fits in that cabinet. And it's either very cold tap beer or just grabbing bottles out of the fridge. Thanks for the help to all.

BeetDigger
3/9/2006, 11:54 AM
Beef - I tend to trust the market (maybe I shouldn't, but I do). I doubt that you are the only person who has ever asked these questions. If the market wasn't buying the heavier duty units because it was that obvious that they are an unnessary expense, then they wouldn't sell them. Keep it simple. Any job worth doing is worth doing right. Therefore, buy the units designed for outside. And tell us when you're finished so that we can come over. I'll bring the soy sauce. :D

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 12:12 PM
the only reason I can think that you might need is is because of heat transfer. The fridge cools by dumping heat to the outside. (That's why the back of your fridge is always warm. If it's already pretty freaking hot outside, then that process gets much less efficient, and you might want the bigger compressor.

Exactly, the compressor will work much harder, thus burning up faster.

Beef
3/9/2006, 02:19 PM
Beef - I tend to trust the market (maybe I shouldn't, but I do). I doubt that you are the only person who has ever asked these questions. If the market wasn't buying the heavier duty units because it was that obvious that they are an unnessary expense, then they wouldn't sell them. Keep it simple. Any job worth doing is worth doing right. Therefore, buy the units designed for outside.
I know. I need to find a little more room in the budget, but I'm already heading way over my budget without this. I guess beer is what credit cards are for

And tell us when you're finished so that we can come over. I'll bring the soy sauce. :D
heh. heh heh.

TexasLidig8r
3/9/2006, 02:26 PM
ah.. but where does this bad boy go?

http://www.bargizmos.com/images/images/qobf.jpg

IB4OU2
3/9/2006, 02:35 PM

Some fruity whorns apartment?

Mjcpr
3/9/2006, 02:36 PM
Some fruity whorns apartment?

NICE TO KNOW GDC'S PASSWORD IS NOT SAFE!!!111

Beef
3/9/2006, 02:39 PM

Garage.

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 02:39 PM

Only horns and homos drink wine.

;)

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2006, 02:50 PM

;)

Ouch, Lid, double whammy! ;)

BeetDigger
3/9/2006, 02:58 PM
I know. I need to find a little more room in the budget, but I'm already heading way over my budget without this. I guess beer is what credit cards are for

Now you're talking!

OklahomaRed
3/9/2006, 03:03 PM
I would think if it's in the shade and covered it's going to function about the same as said refrigerator in the garage. Where I would worry is when you get one of those big frickin thunderstorms and the rain comes in sideways ! You would want to have it protected from that, and definitely off the ground. That being said, it would probably work just fine, but crap out a little earlier than one in the garage.

yermom
3/9/2006, 03:20 PM
humidity and dew are going be as bad as rain though

TexasLidig8r
3/9/2006, 04:35 PM

;)

[GDC]"They're one and the same! Whorns think they can come on here and own the place. They should all be baned!!! I would bet that... oh wait. I better not bet.... Bane the whorns! All of them!!!"[GDC]

cough.. Johnny Mack likes wine... cough

GDC
3/9/2006, 04:38 PM
This had been one of those sweet days where not a single stinking whorn had desecrated the SO. Oh well.

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 04:39 PM

Do you guys really have that much humidity and dew? Here, it's like a sauna
in the summer. We have ungodly amounts of dew in the mornings.

BeetDigger
3/9/2006, 05:07 PM
Do you guys really have that much humidity and dew? Here, it's like a sauna
in the summer. We have ungodly amounts of dew in the mornings.

I like to get rid of my dew early in the day.

slickdawg
3/9/2006, 05:09 PM
Great line from Full Metal Jacket

"Nothing too obvious, but I want to see fur and early morning dew"

sanantoniosooner
3/9/2006, 06:09 PM
that was my point.