PDA

View Full Version : My dad finally got a dog.

SOONER44EVER
3/8/2006, 07:00 PM
Dad got a Boxer today. It was hard after losing his dog, Max, to cancer. He had Max for almost 17 years. He decided he wanted a Boxer and finally found one today. He wants to get his ears cropped. Do any of you know a vet who does a good job on Boxer's ears in the OKC area? Many thanks in advance.

Okla-homey
3/8/2006, 07:13 PM
Dad got a Boxer today. It was hard after losing his dog, Max, to cancer. He had Max for almost 17 years. He decided he wanted a Boxer and finally found one today. He wants to get his ears cropped. Do any of you know a vet who does a good job on Boxer's ears in the OKC area? Many thanks in advance.

FWIW, if a dog is older than 12 weeks or so, no legit vet will crop ears. Six weeks is ideal for boxers. I assume this is a puppy. FWIW, its not a sure thing and there can be complications if the resultant wounds are not meticulously cared for as they heal.

Its your dad's business and his dog to do with as he wishes, but there are an awful lot of dog people who are moving away from ear cropping as an unnecessary and purely cosmetic procedure.

SOONER44EVER
3/8/2006, 07:16 PM
The dog is 7 weeks old right now. And yes, Dad wants him to look cool. :D

Okla-homey
3/8/2006, 07:22 PM
The dog is 7 weeks old right now. And yes, Dad wants him to look cool. :D

Well please tell him not to drag his feet on it. As the cartilage forms in those puppy ears starting at 6 weeks, it gets tougher on the pooch and there are greater chances even a well-done cropping won't "take." What you can get left with are cropped ears which still won't stand erect which looks...goofy.

How do I know this crap? The lady we used as a professional handler for our show animal in Alabama was a boxer breeder and she could go on for hours about this stuff. I promise I won't though.;)

SOONER44EVER
3/8/2006, 07:37 PM
I called him and told him what you said. we're looking for a vet asap. Thanks

Jimminy Crimson
3/8/2006, 11:18 PM
Maybe these people could give you a vet recommendation...

http://www.geocities.com/boomerboxerclub/index.html

sanantoniosooner
3/8/2006, 11:21 PM
Never had a boxer, but my wife tried to crop my briefs once.

BeetDigger
3/8/2006, 11:26 PM
As the cartilage forms ... starting at 6 weeks it gets tougher on the pooch and there are greater chances even a well-done cropping won't "take." What you can get left with are a cropped **** which still won't stand erect which looks...goofy.

Never had a boxer, but my wife tried to crop my briefs once.

I hope that she did it before you were six weeks old.

usmc-sooner
3/8/2006, 11:30 PM
I cropped a corndog at the texas state fair

sanantoniosooner
3/8/2006, 11:31 PM
I cropped a horndog at the texas state fair
Behind a trailer?

usmc-sooner
3/8/2006, 11:34 PM
Behind a trailer?

on the farris wheel