PDA

View Full Version : Sooners that should be in the College Hall

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 03:33 PM
Here is a name of Sooners in the College Football HOF.
Players
Kurt Burris
Tony Casillas
Forest Geyer
Keith Jackson
Tommy McDonald
Jim Owens
Steve Owens
Greg Pruitt
Claude Reeds
JD Roberts
Lee Roy Selmon
Billy Sims
Jerry Tubbs
Billy Vessels
Joe Washington
Jim Weatherall
Waddy Young

Coaches
Lawrence "Biff" Jones
Bennie Owen
Barry Switzer
Jim Tatum
Bud Wilkinson

Qualifications for the College Hall
Each player nominated must have: (1) received major first-team All-America recognition; (2) played his last intercollegiate game at least 10 years previously; (3) retired from playing professional football; and (4) proven himself worthy as a citizen after his football career, carrying the ideals of football forward into his community.

A coach becomes eligible three years after retirement, providing he: (1) was a head coach for at least 10 years; (2) coached at least 100 games; and (3) won at least 60% of his games.

Here's the biggest names that should be on there. Jack Mildren(All American in 71, led maybe the best offense ever), Rod Shoate(If there was a LB award in the 70's he probably wins 3 straight, 3 time AA), Boz(probably won't ever get in), Rick Bryan(2 Time CAA), Tom Brahaney(2 time CAA)
and George Cumby(2 Time AA)

jk the sooner fan
3/8/2006, 03:34 PM
71 was the best offense ever?

wow....

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 03:35 PM

wow....

I said maybe the best ever. I didn't say by far the best ever.

jk the sooner fan
3/8/2006, 03:36 PM
best ever can only mean one thing, unless of course its your dribble....i think you say stuff just to hear yourself talk

Flagstaffsooner
3/8/2006, 03:41 PM

wow....I might have to agree a bit with Nick here. Maybe the best true wishbone offense. The line was a rocket at the snap and the timing in the backfield executing the triple option was a thing of beauty.

jk the sooner fan
3/8/2006, 03:48 PM
Steve Davis ran it to perfection over Jack Mildren, imo...and then Jamelle took it to a higher level

just my opinion, but we've had better offenses since 71......and Nick didnt say "best wishbone offense ever"

Flagstaffsooner
3/8/2006, 03:59 PM
I didnt get to see 74 and 75 so I will disqualify myself from that argument. Jamalle was awesome on the read but he didnt have a Pruitt or Little Joe that the others had.

stoopified
3/8/2006, 04:54 PM
Greg Roberts(Outland Trophy winner should be in.The '71 wishbone was the best running offense in college football history.I am too lazy to look it ip right now but we AVERAGED (thats right averaged )around 450 yards a game rushing and around 50 points a game.
As far as great option qbs go Lott was overlooked here.Great optioneer and runner,absolutely sucked as a passer.IMHO Jamelle was the best option qb in history at OU and would have been considered one of the best in NCAA history if not for the knee.He turned out to be a decent little passwe too before he was done.

GDC
3/8/2006, 04:59 PM
In the Sooner Legends Reunion dvd I think Switzer references that 71 offense as his best.

jk the sooner fan
3/8/2006, 05:02 PM
how could that be when he didnt start coaching till 74?

GDC
3/8/2006, 05:03 PM
I think he was offensive coordinator at that point.

shavedmarmoset
3/8/2006, 05:04 PM
In the Sooner Legends Reunion dvd I think Switzer references that 71 offense as his best.

It truly was amazing considering the kind of opposition they faced. The final rankings at the end of the year were 1. Nebraska 2. Oklahoma 3. Colorado.

Now if that isn't a power conference, then I dont know what is.

Not to mention they also played Texas who was still tough back then as well as a ranked USC team. They finished the season with a win over Auburn in the Sugar bowl. Won 40-22.

Sooner04
3/8/2006, 05:04 PM
how could that be when he didnt start coaching till 74?
Because he was the OC of the '71 team.

Total yards per game: 566.5
Rushing yards per game: 472.4 <----- Still an NCAA record.

Ungodly stats.

Octavian
3/8/2006, 05:06 PM
Switzer's first year as HC was 73. 10-0-1.

jk the sooner fan
3/8/2006, 05:07 PM
I think he was offensive coordinator at that point.

yep, he joined the staff in 66, took over as the offensive coordinator in 71

Sooner04
3/8/2006, 05:08 PM
yep, he joined the staff in 66, took over as the offensive coordinator in 71
Actually, he took over the OC position in '70, IIRC. Maybe '68 or '69.

He convinced Fairbanks to ditch the veer and switch to the 'Bone before the Texas game in '70.

Octavian
3/8/2006, 05:09 PM
Switzer tells a funny story of when he was watching a tape of the 87 OB vs. Arkansas, the NBC announcers proclaimed the 86 bone offense as "the greatest rushing attack in college football history."

He says he chuckled to himself and thought about 71 and how TV had already forgotten them. He uses the tale as motivation for kids to stay in school and get their degrees b/c TV is forgetful and athletic fame is fleeting.

Octavian
3/8/2006, 05:11 PM
Actually, he took over the OC position in '70, IIRC. Maybe '68 or '69.

He convinced Fairbanks to ditch the veer and switch to the 'Bone before the Texas game in '70.

correct.

jk the sooner fan
3/8/2006, 05:12 PM
man the memory capacity some of you have....i used to think i had a good command of the trivial facts...i pale in comparison and am not worthy! :)

TexasBoomer
3/8/2006, 05:22 PM
Buddy Burris should be on that list. All-American for 3 years, 46, 47 and 48.

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 05:23 PM
Switzer tells a funny story of when he was watching a tape of the 87 OB vs. Arkansas, the NBC announcers proclaimed the 86 bone offense as "the greatest rushing attack in college football history."

He says he chuckled to himself and thought about 71 and how TV had already forgotten them. He uses the tale as motivation for kids to stay in school and get their degrees b/c TV is forgetful and athletic fame is fleeting.

TV forgot the 71 team because they were only on TV three times in 71. That number went up to 7 times in 86. Next year every game will be televised in some way. Just like last year. The last time a game wasn't televised in any way(PPV or anything) was Baylor in 2003. It was taped and televised on delay though. Atleast that's the last one I can think of.

The thing that hurts Steve Davis(besides the fact that he wasn't an AA) Is the fact Steve Davis was only in 3 televised games his 3 years here because of NCAA penelties.

Sooner04
3/8/2006, 05:53 PM
Well, that and the teams he was on were so good his services were only required for two quarters.

usmc-sooner
3/8/2006, 05:59 PM
Bob Stoops should be in because of the great coaching job he did last year.

I bet that makes Nick's butt pucker

Octavian
3/8/2006, 06:07 PM
TV forgot the 71 team because they were only on TV three times in 71. That number went up to 7 times in 86.

Well, yeah but I dont think that was Switzer's point.

Steve Davis shouldn't be hurt by anything. His teams went:

10-0-1
11-0
11-1

SD ended up w/ a 32-1-1 record w/ 3 CC's and 2 NC's

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 06:14 PM
Buddy Burris should be on that list. All-American for 3 years, 46, 47 and 48.

That's a great choice. Indian Jack Jacobs would probably be a hall of famer if he was ever an AA.

TexasBoomer
3/9/2006, 11:19 AM
That's a great choice. Indian Jack Jacobs would probably be a hall of famer if he was ever an AA.

My Dad always said that Jack Jacobs was the best.

TexasBoomer
3/9/2006, 11:41 AM

Just checked, Jack Jacobs did not make AA.

GDC
3/9/2006, 01:24 PM
I always idolized the d-ends in the old 5-2 like Darell Reed and Kevin Murphy, they should both be in.

crimson&cream
3/12/2006, 12:00 AM
Daryl Hunt has most career Tackles -506
The Boz career -395
Corey Warren
Steve Davis
Clendon Thomas helluva rb in the 50's, on the ballet coming up hope he gets in
Greg Roberts
Eddie Hinton
Buddy Burris 3 Time All-American
and several more all deserving to be in the HOF---I've been there in S.Bend-Mar 2000 neat place.

NickZeppelin
3/12/2006, 12:11 AM
Daryl Hunt has most career Tackles -506
The Boz career -395
Corey Warren
Steve Davis
Clendon Thomas helluva rb in the 50's, on the ballet coming up hope he gets in
Greg Roberts
Eddie Hinton
Buddy Burris 3 Time All-American
and several more all deserving to be in the HOF---I've been there in S.Bend-Mar 2000 neat place.

Hinton, Davis, and Warren will never be in. Not All-Americans. I think atleast 2 of those 3 should be in.

JohnnyMack
3/12/2006, 12:14 AM
man the memory capacity some of you have....i used to think i had a good command of the trivial facts...i pale in comparison and am not worthy! :)

Maybe it's just 'cause you're getting old? :O

<ducks>

Collier11
3/12/2006, 03:13 AM
Just for the sake of argument, does anyone think that Josh heupel has a chance in the long run...20-5 as a starter, a conf and natl title, heisman runner-up, and numerous school records???

OUthunder
3/12/2006, 10:37 AM
Call me crazy but Jason White should be in there someday.

NickZeppelin
3/12/2006, 12:37 PM
Of the Stoops guys Josh Heupel, Jason White, Derrick Strait, Roy Williams, Tommie Harris, Adrian Peterson, Mark Clayton, Rocky Calmus, Dan Cody, and Jammal Brown should all be in there. I don't know if all of em will make it but they should. Teddy Lehman should probably get in too. Maybe Perk just for his return abilities.

Quentin Griffin will never qualify he was never an All-American, others from the recent years that won't qualify for the Hall: De'Mond Parker, Andre Woolfolk, Torrence Marshall, Nate Hybl, and JD Runnels(which really freakin sucks)

Collier11
3/12/2006, 04:45 PM
Of the Stoops guys Josh Heupel, Jason White, Derrick Strait, Roy Williams, Tommie Harris, Adrian Peterson, Mark Clayton, Rocky Calmus, Dan Cody, and Jammal Brown should all be in there. I don't know if all of em will make it but they should. Teddy Lehman should probably get in too. Maybe Perk just for his return abilities.

Quentin Griffin will never qualify he was never an All-American, others from the recent years that won't qualify for the Hall: De'Mond Parker, Andre Woolfolk, Torrence Marshall, Nate Hybl, and JD Runnels(which really freakin sucks)

Derrick strait, mark clayton, dan cody, and rocky calmus...NO WAY!!

Europasooner
3/12/2006, 05:57 PM
CARL MCADAMS-LINEBACKER

In addition to the honors listed below, Carl, in going head to head, against College Hall of Famer Tommy Nobis from U of Texas, was twice named as AP National Lineman of the Week for his performances against the Nobis-led Longhorns in 1964 and 1965. He was also selected to the 25th anniversary Kodak All American Team in 1985.

Carl McAdams
Linebacker - 6'3, 215
Born: April 26, 1944
High School: White Deer, Texas
Years at Oklahoma: 1963-1965
Overall Record at Oklahoma: 17-13-1
Honors at Oklahoma:
All-American - 1965 & 1964
All-Big Eight Conference - 1965 & 1964
Big Eight Defensive Player of the Year - 1965
Gator Bowl MVP - 1964
UPI Big Eight Lineman of the Year - 1964
Pro Draft:
St. Louis Cardinals - 1st round, New York Jets - 3rd
Pro Career:
New York Jets, 1966-69
Super Bowl III Champions, 1968

crimson&cream
3/13/2006, 11:51 PM
CARL MCADAMS-LINEBACKER

In addition to the honors listed below, Carl, in going head to head, against College Hall of Famer Tommy Nobis from U of Texas, was twice named as AP National Lineman of the Week for his performances against the Nobis-led Longhorns in 1964 and 1965. He was also selected to the 25th anniversary Kodak All American Team in 1985.

Carl McAdams
Linebacker - 6'3, 215
Born: April 26, 1944
High School: White Deer, Texas
Years at Oklahoma: 1963-1965
Overall Record at Oklahoma: 17-13-1
Honors at Oklahoma:
All-American - 1965 & 1964
All-Big Eight Conference - 1965 & 1964
Big Eight Defensive Player of the Year - 1965
Gator Bowl MVP - 1964
UPI Big Eight Lineman of the Year - 1964
Pro Draft:
St. Louis Cardinals - 1st round, New York Jets - 3rd
Pro Career:
New York Jets, 1966-69
Super Bowl III Champions, 1968
I thought about putting him on my list, would be a good choice.

crimson&cream
3/14/2006, 12:01 AM
Hinton, Davis, and Warren will never be in. Not All-Americans. I think atleast 2 of those 3 should be in.
I didn't know that was a criterion, is it? I saw Coaches that were in there when I visited the Hall that barely had a 60% winning percentage, and wondered What? Davis wasn't a great athlete maybe only fair but his 3 yrs record as the starting QB hs got to be one of the best ever in college FB> I would add Bob Kalsu.

King Crimson
3/14/2006, 01:20 AM
I didn't know that was a criterion, is it? I saw Coaches that were in there when I visited the Hall that barely had a 60% winning percentage, and wondered What? Davis wasn't a great athlete maybe only fair but his 3 yrs record as the starting QB hs got to be one of the best ever in college FB> I would add Bob Kalsu.

Jerry Claiborne at Kentucky entered the same year as Switzer.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/14/2006, 01:41 AM
Ou's '71 offense was the best I ever saw. It was electrifying to see the pitch made to Pruitt, and his blur down the field for big yardage or a score. I am still PO'd about that nebbish game, the so-called "Game of the Century", where we got TOTALLY hosed by the officials, and in Norman, to boot.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/14/2006, 01:44 AM
Maybe it's just 'cause you're getting old? :O

<ducks>Maybe he's too YOUNG, and isn't aware of how good that '71 team offense was.

NickZeppelin
3/14/2006, 12:59 PM
Derrick strait, mark clayton, dan cody, and rocky calmus...NO WAY!!

Rocky Calmus and Derrick Strait are the 2 best defensive players outside of Williams. Calmus was a 2 time all-american. Derrick won the Thorpe and Nagurski awards like Roy Williams did and was only a 1 time AA like Roy Williams was. Rocky Calmus is arguable the best LB to ever play at OU.

Collier11
3/14/2006, 03:42 PM
Ill give you Strait, and while I loved Rocky, I just dont see it. To me the Hall is the BEST of the BEST, not just great...but hopefully im wrong

NickZeppelin
3/14/2006, 04:45 PM
Rocky was one of the best to ever play at OU. I would probably say he's the best LB to play at OU since Boz. 2 Time Consensus All-American.

jk the sooner fan
3/14/2006, 04:46 PM
Maybe he's too YOUNG, and isn't aware of how good that '71 team offense was.

i was 8 years old........already a sooner fan then

i had season tix to the "kerry jackson" season

Collier11
3/14/2006, 07:49 PM
Rocky was one of the best to ever play at OU. I would probably say he's the best LB to play at OU since Boz. 2 Time Consensus All-American.

But it isnt the OU hall of fame, its the NCAA hall and only time will tell if Rocky is viewed as one of the best ever, but at this point and time I dont think so When people look at Ou and think about our great players since stoops they think Roy, Dstrait, Adrian, Tommie, Heup, I dont hear too many talking about Rocky...Like I said, dont get me wrong I thought he was a beast and a great player but does that make him good enough for the HALL???

NickZeppelin
3/14/2006, 08:23 PM
I think he is. I think Rod Shoate should be in there too and so should Boz but he never will be and Rocky is probably about as good as those 3. I think our own fans underrated how good Rocky was. Roy Williams was the play maker and the best defender we've had since Lee Roy but Rocky was the leader of those defenses. And he was even a stud as a Sophomore when he wasn't well coached under Blake.

crimson&cream
3/18/2006, 11:17 AM
OU Career leaders LB tackles,
Daryl HUnt 506
Jackie Shipp 477
Rocky Calmus 431 I found it thanks anyway Nick
Rod Shoate 420
George Cumby 405
Brian Bosworth 395
Don't know Rocky's totals.

NickZeppelin
3/18/2006, 11:23 AM
I think Rocky had 431 tackles in his career.