PDA

View Full Version : Eddie might return next season

OklahomaTrombone
3/8/2006, 12:41 PM
TULSA, Okla. -- Oklahoma State basketball coach Eddie Sutton, who was involved in a drunken driving traffic accident and will soon undergo a treatment program for alcoholism, said there is a possibility he could coach the team next season.

"I'll just have to see how I feel," Sutton told the Tulsa World Tuesday night in his first interview since the Feb. 10 accident. "It's amazing how many coaches across the country have called me and told me, 'Don't hang it up. Get back out there and coach some more.' I'll talk to our coaches and see how I feel."

Sutton underwent surgery on Feb. 23 to relieve pain in his back and hip.

"I still have a little pain, but I think that will soon disappear. It's nothing like it was before the surgery," he said. "It's just amazing. When you feel good, your outlook on life is so much different. My doctors had told me that I would feel a lot better after the surgery, so I did expect to feel better. But it's really been amazing how good I feel."

After being charged with driving under the influence, Sutton announced he was taking an indefinite medical leave of absence and that he has "a problem with alcohol." A test revealed that at the time of the accident, Sutton's blood alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit. Nobody was seriously injured, although Sutton suffered a cut on his face. He has a prominent, U-shaped scar above his left eyebrow.

Since the accident, Sean Sutton, Eddie Sutton's son, has been the school's acting head coach. He and the Cowboys are in Dallas to prepare for Thursday's first round of the Big 12 Tournament.

Eddie Sutton said he will spend several days with a physical therapist before leaving the state for five weeks of alcohol treatment.

"I'll be out of commission for a while," he said.

He needs three more victories to become only the fifth major-college coach to record 800 career wins. In spite of being away from the team, Sutton has been credited with OSU's recent victories over Texas, Texas Tech and Baylor.

He said he has been overwhelmed by support.

"That first week [after the accident], I was averaging 100 letters a day. It was unbelievable," he said. "It's almost impossible to answer them all. The fans have been so supportive. It's meant a lot to me."

Hope Stanford isn't on their schedule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2359443&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Boomer.....
3/8/2006, 12:58 PM
HANG EM UP OLD MAN!

Let your son coach for once. He's doing a better job than you did this season.

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 01:02 PM
I think OSU should tell him to resign or be fired. He can't coach at OSU again IMO.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/8/2006, 02:06 PM
Okay, why Stanford?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/8/2006, 02:19 PM
Will GIA be installing a bar near the scorer's table?

OklahomaTrombone
3/8/2006, 02:31 PM
Okay, why Stanford?

http://www.strangesports.com/images/content/3321.jpg

Rhino
3/8/2006, 02:39 PM
Oklahoma State would solidify their reputation as the most stupid university of all-time if they let him come back to coach.

NormanPride
3/8/2006, 03:03 PM
Sure you got drunk and crashed into a tree after hitting some chick in a suburban, but that's all in the past! :mad:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/8/2006, 03:07 PM
As Ted Kennedy would say it is just water under the bridge...

Taxman71
3/8/2006, 03:11 PM
Interesting how he thinks his return is solely his decision. If so, O-State is a bigger joke than I currently think it is, which is pretty darn big.

He wants 800 so bad he can taste it in his bile.

Flagstaffsooner
3/8/2006, 03:12 PM
"I still have a little pain, but I think that will soon disappear. It's nothing like it was before the surgery, But it's really been amazing how good I feel. Why didnt I think of this vodka IV before?"
:eddie:

colleyvillesooner
3/8/2006, 03:22 PM
He can get to 800 if OSU wins the big 12 tournament. Glad that's safe ;)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/8/2006, 03:27 PM
I might also go back to making adult films with Jessica Alba but I'm not banking on it.

stoopified
3/8/2006, 03:45 PM
If this had happened to Barry the whole NATION would be crying out for his scalp.Eddie is apparently a special case.Personally at nearly three times the legal intoxication limit and striking another car @ 60mph,it should be a closed issue.If that woman had not been driving a Chevy Blazer she would have been seriously injured or killed.As big as it was it folded up like a tin can.

SoonerAtKU
3/8/2006, 03:47 PM
He wants 800 so bad he can taste it in his scotch.

I know, right?

Flagstaffsooner
3/8/2006, 04:08 PM
He can get to .800 if OSU wins the big 12 tournament.;)
fixed

OUstud
3/8/2006, 04:49 PM
Another Stanford reference could be that the girl in the Tree was forced to step down after she admitted to drinking while in costume during a Cal-Stanford game.

Crimsontothecore
3/8/2006, 09:03 PM
Sure you got drunk and crashed into a tree after hitting some chick in a suburban, but that's all in the past! :mad:
Let's not forget the other things in the past, like stumbling around drunk and taking a leak on a middle school, or wrecking a loaner car at a carwash.

Crimsontothecore
3/8/2006, 09:06 PM
If this had happened to Barry the whole NATION would be crying out for his scalp.Eddie is apparently a special case.Personally at nearly three times the legal intoxication limit and striking another car @ 60mph,it should be a closed issue.If that woman had not been driving a Chevy Blazer she would have been seriously injured or killed.As big as it was it folded up like a tin can.
Haven't you heard the story around stoolwater? that lady was just a gold digger after poor Eddie's money.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/9/2006, 10:27 AM
Another Stanford reference could be that the girl in the Tree was forced to step down after she admitted to drinking while in costume during a Cal-Stanford game.

Huh? something happen to the tree?

RacerX
3/9/2006, 11:19 AM

Barry did get a DUI...though I don't think he played bumper cars.

OU played Stanford not to long after. The Stanford band spelled DUI during their half time show. Classic.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/9/2006, 11:58 AM
Oh, now I get it. and remember it. I was thrown off by the tree reference.

SoonerShark
3/10/2006, 08:35 AM
He can get to 800 if OSU wins the big 12 tournament. Glad that's safe ;)

They may get the 800 in the NIT if OSU gets a home game. This year, college RPI may help them, even in the NIT under the new NIT rules. OSU has some good players.