PDA

View Full Version : I need TV advice

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 11:25 AM
I used to frequent these boards on a daily.....or maybe hourly basis. I know there used to be some electronics experts that would give some advice about TV's and such. So here I am, finally in the market for a TV for myself and I need some advice from some trusted Sooner brothers and/or sisters. The TV is a birthday gift from my wife and she gave me a budget of $2000. This is the TV + stand I have picked out. I can get them both plus the extended warranty for right at $2000. Is this about as good as it gets for me or is there anything else that I should consider?

Toshiba 46HM95 (http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Toshiba_46HM95_46_DLP_Projection_TV,__9953024/zip_code=73078/sort_type=bottomline)
Toshiba ST-4665 stand (http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Toshiba_TOSHIBA_ST_4665_STAND_FOR_TOSHIBA_46HM9 5,__11344089/sort_type=bottomline)

OUDoc
3/8/2006, 11:26 AM
Sooner85 and Oldnslo are the experts, IMO.

BeetDigger
3/8/2006, 11:28 AM
Sooner85 and Oldnslo are the experts, IMO.

True. The rest of us are just a bunch of screw arounds. :mack:

Czar Soonerov
3/8/2006, 11:30 AM
dbhuge?

crawfish
3/8/2006, 11:30 AM
Make sure you can have sex on the stand. I think we all agreed on that.

OUDoc
3/8/2006, 11:32 AM
True. The rest of us are just a bunch of screw arounds. :mack:
Well, I am anyway.

mdklatt
3/8/2006, 11:35 AM
Is this about as good as it gets for me or is there anything else that I should consider?

That stand is going to collapse as soon as you try to have sex on it. I'd keep looking.

JohnnyMack
PM. :eddie:

BeetDigger
Well, I am anyway.

I was agreeing with you.

Oh, and sooner_jc, you can't just come in here and take. You need to give back as well. We need at least a dozen totally useless posts out of you before you warrant any advice. Chop chop.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 11:37 AM
My advice would be not to get the extended reacharound/warranty.

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 11:38 AM
Well, I have 513 posts to my name as of now.....I'm sure at least a dozen of those were completely and totally useless.

Hamhock
3/8/2006, 11:38 AM
I think the important thing is to look a lot before you buy. I recommend you go into one of the smaller TV shops, the kind that specializes in home theater systems. I'd spend at least two hours checking out TV's and asking the salesman lots of questions. But don't make a decision on the spot. Be sure to go home and think about it for a few days.

:)

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 11:39 AM
My advice would be not to get the extended reacharound/warranty.
With the warranty I can get the bulb replaced for free for 3 years......this isn't a good idea?

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 11:39 AM
I think the important thing is to look a lot before you buy. I recommend you go into one of the smaller TV shops, the kind that specializes in home theater systems. I'd spend at least two hours checking out TV's and asking the salesman lots of questions. But don't make a decision on the spot. Be sure to go home and think about it for a few days.

Yeah, lots and LOTS of questions. Very pointed ones. About his sexual prowess and net worth. And bring your lunch, they love it if you just chill and eat lunch in their home theater rooms, you know, pretend like you're at home.

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 11:40 AM

I've been to pert near all the TV shops that are close to my office here in OKC. I've been looking around and researching for about 3 weeks now so I definitely haven't come to this decision on the spot.

slickdawg
3/8/2006, 11:40 AM
Is HD really important to you?

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 11:42 AM
Is HD really important to you?

I'll answer that for sooner_jc, yes!

mdklatt
3/8/2006, 11:44 AM
Sometimes Albertson's sells TVs and DVD players. If you're willing to wait you can probably save some money on a Bonus Buy when they're trying to dump the electronics that are getting close to their expiration date.

slickdawg
I'll answer that for sooner_jc, yes!

HD ROCKS, but the programming is limited.

Dish TV bought out VOOM, and provides a decent amount of HD programming.

DirectTV's HD offerings are lame right now

Over the air is ok, but having an antenna outside makes it much better

I don't know what his cable company may offer for HD programming

Mjcpr
With the warranty I can get the bulb replaced for free for 3 years......this isn't a good idea?

How much is the extended warranty? How much is the bulb?

I'd let 85Sooner answer this question....he sells TV's for a living so if anyone would know if it's a scam or not, it would be him. It is my opinion that, as a whole, extended warranty's for stuff aren't worth it.

slickdawg
3/8/2006, 11:45 AM

I'd let 85Sooner answer this question....he sells TV's for a living so if anyone would know if it's a scam or not, it would be him. It is my opinion that, as a whole, extended warranty's for stuff aren't worth it.

I have to agree with this. The only exception would be for a plasma set.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 11:47 AM
HD ROCKS, but the programming is limited.

Dish TV bought out VOOM, and provides a decent amount of HD programming.

Over the air is ok, but having an antenna outside makes it much better

I don't know what his cable company may offer for HD programming

I'm not computing. Why again would you not get an HD compatible TV again? I have CoxHD service and it RMFO. Other than not having ESPN2HD, they're doing great. They just added MHD, which is MTV in HD, cool channel, just music & concerts.

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 11:48 AM

I'm not sure how much the bulb is but the warranty is only $300 for 3 years. Now you've got me thinking the extended warranty may not be worth the trouble.......especially if I'm buying online.

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 11:50 AM
and btw......I am planning on getting HD with DirecTV. It's the only choice I have except for over the air HD since I live in a place that doesn't offer cable. I have the NFL Sunday Ticket which is broadcasted in HD and I also have the XBOX 360 which I will be playing in HD.

slickdawg
3/8/2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not computing. Why again would you not get an HD compatible TV again? I have CoxHD service and it RMFO. Other than not having ESPN2HD, they're doing great. They just added MHD, which is MTV in HD, cool channel, just music & concerts.

Well, my question was really geared toward how much interest you have in
HD, there's still a lot of people that just want a big picture and can care
less about HD. Hard to believe, I know.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 11:51 AM
and btw......I am planning on getting HD with DirecTV. It's the only choice I have except for over the air HD since I live in a place that doesn't offer cable. I have the NFL Sunday Ticket which is broadcasted in HD and I also have the XBOX 360 which I will be playing in HD.

Well, I didn't know you were loaded......just pay for the warranty. :D

Really, wait and see what 85 says....he's given plenty of good info on this stuff lately.

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 11:52 AM
Well, my question was really geared toward how much interest you have in
HD, there's still a lot of people that just want a big picture and can care

yeah....I really don't understand those people.

slickdawg
3/8/2006, 11:55 AM
I had a Dell 50" plasma for two months - a friend had 8 feet of water in
his house during Katrina. Of course, being a guy, as soon as he got his
insurance checks in, he bought the TV and asked we would keep it
until he was ready for it.

I said sure, as long as we can watch it. :D

There's a picture of that set in the fark forum, it's really nice, but it's $3500

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 11:55 AM
there's still a lot of people that just want a big picture and can care

Really?

Seriously?

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 11:56 AM
Well, I didn't know you were loaded......just pay for the warranty. :D

Really, wait and see what 85 says....he's given plenty of good info on this stuff lately.
loaded.....that's funny. i had to save my hard earned money to get all that stuff. if i was loaded i'd be buying a plasma! :D

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 11:56 AM
I have a rear projection......what, crt? It's about 2 1/2 years old. My BIL was over last week and they have a new LCD TV and I asked him if his Hi-Def looked better than mine and he said it did, by quite a bit.

That was depressing. The LCD's are running about what I paid for mine < 3 years ago!

slickdawg
3/8/2006, 11:57 AM
Really?

Seriously?

I know, hard to believe.

Another friend just bought a 50" Sony projection set. No HD, he didn't care for it. Money isn't an object to this guy.

Totally insane.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 12:00 PM
I have a rear projection......what, crt? It's about 2 1/2 years old. My BIL was over last week and they have a new LCD TV and I asked him if his Hi-Def looked better than mine and he said it did, by quite a bit.

That was depressing. The LCD's are running about what I paid for mine < 3 years ago!

TV envy is a dangerous thing. It costs several grrrrr to get over it.

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2006, 12:07 PM

Our 55" Sony LCD RMMFFO.

Hamhock
3/8/2006, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure how much the bulb is but the warranty is only $300 for 3 years. Now you've got me thinking the extended warranty may not be worth the trouble.......especially if I'm buying online.

Dave Ramsey says never buy them.

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 01:27 PM
Sooooo.......I'm still waiting to hear from the "experts" on this one. 85Sooner and oldnslo I believe?

crawfish
3/8/2006, 01:55 PM
Well, I have 513 posts to my name as of now.....I'm sure at least a dozen of those were completely and totally useless.

Amateur. mjcpr has at least 19,500, you've got a lot of catching up to do.

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 02:01 PM
Amateur. mjcpr has at least 19,500, you've got a lot of catching up to do.

I fully realize my amateur status on these boards. I used to read hear a lot but rarely ever posted. I was just trying to make sure I had posted enough pointless crap in my previous soonerfans.com experience to warrant some advice. BeetDigger was very specific in stating I had to make at least a dozen useless posts before I got any help. :D

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 02:02 PM
and just in case you didn't notice......the previous post was completely and totally useless! :D

BudSooner
3/8/2006, 02:55 PM
Hey we do have TNT in HD now, other than that...your pretty much right on.

Also we now have CD USA, on second thought....nevermind.

BeetDigger
3/8/2006, 03:01 PM
I fully realize my amateur status on these boards. I used to read hear a lot but rarely ever posted. I was just trying to make sure I had posted enough pointless crap in my previous soonerfans.com experience to warrant some advice. BeetDigger was very specific in stating I had to make at least a dozen useless posts before I got any help. :D

Oh, and I am supposed to take your word that out of the 500+ posts you have, 12 of them are totally useless. Hell, most of us do that in one hour around here. Take a look at most of the posts in this thread. When it comes to non-sense, we've got it cornered. Anyway, what the hell did you want to know? I forgot what this thread is about. Either TV's or homosexuality, those seem to be the most popular thread topics the past month or two. :D

colleyvillesooner
3/8/2006, 03:05 PM
what?

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 03:06 PM
what?

He called you gay.

colleyvillesooner
3/8/2006, 03:17 PM
THAT SON OF A BITCH!

BeetDigger
3/8/2006, 03:25 PM
THAT SON OF A BITCH!

Leave my mom out of this, homo. :D

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 03:35 PM
What is it you guys say......threadjack in progress?

Back to the subject boys! I want to know if the TV I've chosen is the "best bang for the buck" with my $2000 budget. Now hop to it!! :D

mdklatt
3/8/2006, 03:36 PM
I want to know if the TV I've chosen is the "best bang for the buck" with my $2000 budget. Now hop to it!! :D

You need gay this thread up if you want anybody to pay attention to it.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 03:39 PM
You need gay this thread up if you want anybody to pay attention to it.

This should help.

http://www.emediawire.com/prfiles/2005/06/02/247476/LiberaceinHotPantssinglecopy.jpg

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 03:42 PM
ok.....

when chuck norris turns gay, it won't be because he likes men, it will be because he ran out of women.

mdklatt
3/8/2006, 03:46 PM
This should help.

From the neck down that could be Biker Fox. (With the exception of the unshaved legs.)

*shudder*

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2006, 03:55 PM
Back to the subject boys! I want to know if the TV I've chosen is the "best bang for the buck" with my $2000 budget. Now hop to it!! :D

You're just gonna have to wait until 85Sooner shows up. In the meantime...

http://www.mrbeaver.net/images_weird/simmons.jpg

Looks like Richard borrowed a pair of Howzit's shorts.

BeetDigger
3/8/2006, 04:02 PM
What is it you guys say......threadjack in progress?

The problem is, no one here knows much more about TV's than 85 and oldnslo. For reliability issues, I would just go to consumer reports and see if they have any negative remarks about the set you are interested in. As far as pic quality, I generally trust the side by side comparison (which is not accurate, but I don't like to put too much time into these purchases).

When you get the set home, if the picture looks good, that is all you will care about. Picture quality is so subjective. Now features and such, those can be meaured objectively. So, as was said earlier, if you can have sex on the stand, then it's probably a good stand. That's a pretty good, objective measure. And that marks the entireness of my advice.

Back to the gay threads.....

Beef
3/8/2006, 04:11 PM
I'll go ahead and post in here to ensure it's continued gayness until 85 and old show up.

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 05:53 PM
bumping this before i leave work in hopes that 85 or oldnslo will see it and reply....

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 06:30 PM
bumping this before i leave work in hopes that 85 or oldnslo will see it and reply....

85 hasn't been on in a few days....not sure why. You might search for his posts and check them out, maybe there's something there that will be helpful.

Oldnslo doesn't know ****, I can tell you that. ;)

mdklatt
3/8/2006, 06:33 PM
85 hasn't been on in a few days....not sure why.

It's all those **********s that keep wasting his time asking questions.

BudSooner
3/8/2006, 06:37 PM
85 hasn't been on in a few days....not sure why. You might search for his posts and check them out, maybe there's something there that will be helpful.

Oldnslo doesn't know ****, I can tell you that. ;)

Probably true, but he can make a mean pink chiffon. :mack:

Vaevictis
3/8/2006, 06:45 PM

Check the base warranty on the bulb (there is one, right?). Then check your various credit cards, you probably have one that has extended warranties built in.

Compare the base warranty + the credit card warranty against the extended warranty you may end up purchasing, at the very least. It may be that you're already *covered* for three years. :)

And for what it's worth, don't buy anything with a warranty of less than two years (one year at the *very* minimum). Companies mathematically model failures, and the warranty length is for all intents and purposes how long you really ought to expect the device to work before it fails.

(Usually, it's something like X% of devices {the company decides the X} fail before this date, and then the failure rate climbs FAST. How fast, you ask? Usually with electronics, the shorter the warranty, the faster the rate climbs.)

JohnnyMack
3/9/2006, 12:08 PM
Bump for jc.

Taxman71
3/9/2006, 12:19 PM
After extensive personal viewing, research (www.avsforum.com & www.ecoustics.com etc.) and advice from 85Sooner, I went with the Sony KDF-E50A10. You can get the 42 inch model in your price range (KDF-E42A10) with a warranty. If you can get one at Costco you don't need a warranty. Better yet, buy one on a base (aka Tinker AFB) and you can get it as low as $1,500 with no tax. The HD picture is stunning and the standard def is better than any other TV I saw.

The local Sony repair tech said that the bulds on Sonys last a long time. Thus, it would worth while to buy the EW direct from Sony (around $150 for about 4 years) and roll the dice on the bulb.

BeetDigger
3/9/2006, 12:45 PM
See, it only took three pages to get some worthwhile advice. One helpful post and 59 full of nonsense and shennanigans. Sheesh, we're slipping.

colleyvillesooner
3/9/2006, 12:53 PM
Did someone say shennanigans?

http://www.fijiucf.com/images/farva.jpg

Taxman71
3/9/2006, 01:50 PM
See, it only took three pages to get some worthwhile advice. One helpful post and 59 full of nonsense and shennanigans. Sheesh, we're slipping.

Did I break the streak?

I meant to say, Hugh Jackmans is waaaayyyy gay.

85Sooner
3/10/2006, 05:57 PM
I used to frequent these boards on a daily.....or maybe hourly basis. I know there used to be some electronics experts that would give some advice about TV's and such. So here I am, finally in the market for a TV for myself and I need some advice from some trusted Sooner brothers and/or sisters. The TV is a birthday gift from my wife and she gave me a budget of $2000. This is the TV + stand I have picked out. I can get them both plus the extended warranty for right at $2000. Is this about as good as it gets for me or is there anything else that I should consider?

Toshiba 46HM95 (http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Toshiba_46HM95_46_DLP_Projection_TV,__9953024/zip_code=73078/sort_type=bottomline)
Toshiba ST-4665 stand (http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Toshiba_TOSHIBA_ST_4665_STAND_FOR_TOSHIBA_46HM9 5,__11344089/sort_type=bottomline)

Sorry, been out of the loop while the folks were in town.

Its an Okay set for a DLP. I still prefer the sony KDFE50A10 for 1997.00 or the KDFE42A10 for 1599.00 You will be happier. It might be a bit more but the Sony without the Warr would be my choice rather than the Toshiba with the Warr. Which of those 986,000 moving parts is gonna break first?

If you do get the Toshiba. GET the extended warranty

85Sooner
3/10/2006, 05:59 PM

DO NOT BUY a DLP online. You will be sorry.

Go find a local dealer. Give them this quote and tell them to beat it.

Sony KDFE50A10 for 1950.00 with 5 year P&L warr for 297.00. That is what I would sell it to you for. Get a nice table and forgo the manufactured stand. You will be glad in the long run.

colleyvillesooner
3/10/2006, 06:00 PM
****ing finally! ;)

sooner_jc
3/10/2006, 06:20 PM
WOOHOO!! Thanks 85!!

After doing some more research online I've found that the Toshiba's have a BAD exploding lamp problem. I'm going to try to find the Sony you've suggested for a good price. You say don't buy DLP online......is it ok to buy the sony LCD online?

85Sooner
3/10/2006, 06:32 PM
WOOHOO!! Thanks 85!!

After doing some more research online I've found that the Toshiba's have a BAD exploding lamp problem. I'm going to try to find the Sony you've suggested for a good price. You say don't buy DLP online......is it ok to buy the sony LCD online?

I really wouldn't. the prices have come down and there was a website (i have since lost the URL) that dealt with some unusual problems sony owners were having. Interestingly, almost all of them were online purchases. If you can't find those prices where you are let me know maybe I can get one to you and shipping would be less than sales tax. OK

BeetDigger
3/10/2006, 06:59 PM
This is why we pay 85 the big money.

sooner_jc
3/11/2006, 09:38 AM
I really wouldn't. the prices have come down and there was a website (i have since lost the URL) that dealt with some unusual problems sony owners were having. Interestingly, almost all of them were online purchases. If you can't find those prices where you are let me know maybe I can get one to you and shipping would be less than sales tax. OK

Where is your store located? I live in the OKC area so if you're around here maybe I can come by your place and take a look.

85Sooner
3/11/2006, 11:00 AM
Where is your store located? I live in the OKC area so if you're around here maybe I can come by your place and take a look.

Austin (longhorn territory) Texas.

sooner_jc
3/11/2006, 12:06 PM
Austin (longhorn territory) Texas.

Oh.......I'm sorry.

If you don't want to disclose prices here, maybe you could PM me and give me a price with shipping on the 42" and 50" sony to zip code 73078. Thanks!

85Sooner
3/11/2006, 12:43 PM
Oh.......I'm sorry.

If you don't want to disclose prices here, maybe you could PM me and give me a price with shipping on the 42" and 50" sony to zip code 73078. Thanks!

I will have to check shipping on monday. I get a 55% DISCOUNT. So I will check and get back with you if thats Okay.

sooner_jc
3/11/2006, 01:55 PM
I will have to check shipping on monday. I get a 55% DISCOUNT. So I will check and get back with you if thats Okay.

Sounds good. Thanks a lot man!