PDA

View Full Version : The Tulsa electorate has spokeded

Okla-homey
3/8/2006, 08:56 AM
Its incumbent "Big Bill" LaFortune (R) vs. Kathy "Two Times" Taylor (D) in the big mayoral race in April.

The end is near, we only have one more month of mud-slinging to endure.

I predict a win for LaFortune in a squeeker based on 32K total GOP votes cast vs 27K total Dem votes cast in yesterday's primary -- that is, if Tulsans vote their party affiliation. (I haven't lived here long enough to know if they generally do that or not.)

crawfish
3/8/2006, 08:57 AM
In Texas, Tom Delay wins the primary. By a landslide. :mad:

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 08:58 AM
Its incumbent "Big Bill" LaFortune (R) vs. Kathy "Two Times" Taylor (D) in the big mayoral race in April.

The end is near, we only have one more month of mud-slinging to endure.

I predict a win for LaFortune in a squeeker based on 32K total GOP votes cast vs 27K total Dem votes cast in yesterday's primary -- that is, if Tulsans vote their party affiliation. (I haven't lived here long enough to know if they generally do that or not.)

I don't know either but I think it was said the Big Bill was the Republican Mayor we've had in a pretty long time even thought the state and city as a whole vote Republican in presidential elections.

Having said that, I can't believe that many people voted for Medlock.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 09:19 AM
I was hoping Medlock would win, but he didn't have the cash to compete. Not when the Tulsa World and George Kaiser are funding are throwing money into one candidate.

I hope Big Bill can beat "two-times" taylor. Although if Taylor wins, I wonder if the city would save money on travel, since she owns a private jet?

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 09:31 AM
I was hoping Medlock would win, but he didn't have the cash to compete. Not when the Tulsa World and George Kaiser are funding are throwing money into one candidate.

I hope Big Bill can beat "two-times" taylor. Although if Taylor wins, I wonder if the city would save money on travel, since she owns a private jet?

Well, color me shocked.

What difference does it make if Kathy Taylor is rich? Neither candidate is going to be living at the John 3:16 Mission any time soon.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 09:48 AM
Nothings wrong with it, I just think its cool she has a private jet, and gets to vote more than once during presidential elections

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 09:54 AM
Oh good, I thought you were just hating because of her party.

Pieces Hit
3/8/2006, 09:56 AM
Wanna bet most them Medlock voters vote for Taylor?

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah Tuba, the LaFortune's are SOOOOO hard up for money. Friggin' paupers.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 10:13 AM
Wanna bet most them Medlock voters vote for Taylor?

Yup, that contingent is much more anti-LaFortune than anything else.

Pieces Hit
3/8/2006, 10:14 AM
And rightfully so?

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 10:21 AM
And rightfully so?

I don't see any reason to vote for LaFortune again, personally. Voted for him once and haven't been thrilled.

1stTimeCaller
3/8/2006, 11:23 AM
The Tulsa firefighters like LaFortune.

Vaevictis
3/8/2006, 12:16 PM

Hey man, that's okay by me. Tom Delay is turning into the gift that keeps on giving.

OklahomaTrombone
3/8/2006, 12:31 PM
I can't believe Prop 1 passed.

IB4OU2
3/8/2006, 12:38 PM
I don't see any reason to vote for LaFortune again, personally. Voted for him once and haven't been thrilled.

His golf course was fun to play........

picasso
3/8/2006, 12:41 PM
Lafortune will take a hit for his treatment of the police chief.

KaiserSooner
3/8/2006, 12:48 PM
For those of us not up on Tulsa politics....who is Medlock? Is LaFortune vulnerable? I didn't think so, but then I don't stay on top of politics in that corner of the state.

In the OKC mayoral race, I don't even know if Mick Cornett has an opponent. He apparently does because he's running the same annoying commerical over and over. Cornett has no worries...should win just about every vote.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 12:53 PM
Medlock is a city councilor who has opposed LaFortune and the "status quo" since he was elected. He's pretty much against spending money on just about anything. Was against Vision 2025 and still rattles his saber about how he'll do what he can to keep spending in check. I'm not sure if his argument that if the new arena ended up over budget that he'd pull the plug on it was the best way to try and get himself elected. D00d is VERY conservative I'm not sure what he campaigned on other than NOT spending money.

http://www.chrismedlock.com/

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 12:56 PM
As far as LaFortune's vulnerability, I really didn't think he was, but seeing how easily Taylor sailed through the D primary, I think she has a chance at unseating him.

picasso
3/8/2006, 12:58 PM
I'm a good friend of a city planner for Tulsa. He said Medlock has been more than counterproductive for the city.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 01:01 PM
I'm a good friend of a city planner for Tulsa. He said Medlock has been more than counterproductive for the city.

That's kinda the vibe I got from him. I couldn't ever figure out exactly what his plan was. Short of him screeching about how much he disliked the current form of government and how closed door and deceitful he thought it was. Almost seems like this d00d got screwed on some big business deal or something with the city and has made it his goal to get revenge. Only he's not very good at it. Maybe LaFortune peed on his carpet? :mack:

KaiserSooner
3/8/2006, 01:03 PM
Sounds like Medlock hasn't moved beyond Calvin Coolidge and the 1920s.

picasso
3/8/2006, 01:06 PM
Maybe LaFortune peed on his carpet? :mack:
I understand it really tied the room together.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 01:11 PM
Medlock is a city councilor who has opposed LaFortune and the "status quo" since he was elected. He's pretty much against spending money on just about anything. Was against Vision 2025 and still rattles his saber about how he'll do what he can to keep spending in check. I'm not sure if his argument that if the new arena ended up over budget that he'd pull the plug on it was the best way to try and get himself elected. D00d is VERY conservative I'm not sure what he campaigned on other than NOT spending money.

Actually, he was for 2025 and the Arena and spending money.

What Medlock was campaigning on was the checks and balances on where the tax money was spent, the county using eminent domain to kick businesses out of downtown for the arena, no business plan for the arena, the fact that 2025 underestimated the cost of the arena by millions, the fact that the arena is being built in a horrible location of downtown on parking lot property that was bought out to enrich certain folks close to Bob Dick (county commish), yet eminent domain was being used to steal the occuiped businesses, and on and on and on.

Also factor in that he had to deal with LaFortune attending less than 3 city council meetings, buying off a city councilor for $90,000 a year to break Medlocks block on the city council, the re-call coup election of him by people not living in his city district (LaFortune's Backers), running off more major companies, etc.

So basically, every point you made about Medlock was incorrect JM. If anything, Medlock is pretty damn centrist and wanted to spend money on stuff like developing the Arkansas River, cleaning up the refineries, streets, more cops, etc.

He just isn't with the good ol' boy network running the Tulsa Metro Area or owned by George Kaiser or Robert Lorton. Thats what got him IMO.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 01:18 PM
So, who were you for Tuba? :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 01:22 PM
.....that was bought out to enrich certain folks close to Bob Dick (county commish), yet eminent domain was being used to steal the occuiped businesses, and on and on and on.

When did eminent domain become legal? Because I thought it was well after the arena/2025 projects were voted on and were started.

The City negotiated with every business owner paying well above what was determined to be the value of the properties. The only person I heard squaking about it was the old lady that owned the cafe and I got the impression she was just after some cash. In the end, didn't she get the amount she wanted in the first place? I'm thinking she did....the problem was she kept raising her asking price.

I could be wrong on this, I'm going from memory on most of it and my memory isn't so good these days.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 01:23 PM
Medlock.

Theres a reason why Lafortune had to spend millions on winning his primary only to win by a few thousand votes.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/8/2006, 01:26 PM

I didn't help him...Bastage parties in Washington and is not in the district...

Funny story, some lady in front of me with a German accent, obviously doesn't know much about politics. After we got checked in, we were invited to stay for the precinct meeting at 7:30. She, in her ignorance, asked if Tom would be at the precinct meeting. The poll worker looks :stunned: and said "no, but Joe will be here..."

TheHumanAlphabet
3/8/2006, 01:29 PM
Why is she called "two-times"?

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 01:31 PM
When did eminent domain become legal? Because I thought it was well after the arena/2025 projects were voted on and were started.
Eminent domain has been legal a long time, just not for private companies to steal someones land so they can use it.

Now, thanks to the more liberal types on the SCOTUS, that is legal.

Because the city was going to hand down hundreds of thousands for empty parkinglots, yet just condemn an open business, the city let up and offered her like $30,000.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 01:32 PM
Why is she called "two-times"?
She voted for Gore in Flordia AND Oklahoma in the same election.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 01:38 PM
Theres a reason why Lafortune had to spend millions on winning his primary only to win by a few thousand votes.

I have a hard time believing that.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/8/2006, 01:40 PM

Classic, how did that get out?

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 01:41 PM
Because the city was going to hand down hundreds of thousands for empty parkinglots, yet just condemn an open business, the city let up and offered her like $30,000.

They paid her way more than that. The only reason they were going to condemn it (and still pay her well over the property's value) is because she refused to come to terms because she was trying to make a buck.

Pricetag
3/8/2006, 01:43 PM
I was shocked to see that she won the primary, especially by that margin.

I'm a democrat, and I have no problem saying that that's some shady stuff she pulled there. Everyone knew that it was going to be close in Florida, and I'm guessing she did the absentee thing at the request of someone higher up in the party. There's no way it was a mistake, and the way she handled it when asked by the news reporters left no doubt that she was guilty. It was party politics, as usual.

I guess people dislike negative campaigning more than voter fraud, though, judging by the numbers. I will not vote for her in the general election.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 01:44 PM
They paid her way more than that. The only reason they were going to condemn it (and still pay her well over the property's value) is because she refused to come to terms because she was trying to make a buck.

Well, it was her property.

I might be in the minority here, but if someone wants to buy my property, I am going to ask for what ever I can get it for.

And the sad thing is, the city didn't even consider doing this for the parking lots! They gladly paid a lot of money for those.

I guess the fact about who owned those parking lots didn't matter much.

Pricetag
3/8/2006, 01:45 PM
Classic, how did that get out?
Her opponent, Don McCorkle, busted her on it with a press conference and a series of ads.

I didn't like the wording of the ads, but he had a point, IMO. He got a butt kicking for his trouble, though.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 01:45 PM
....the way she handled it when asked by the news reporters left no doubt that she was guilty.

The FBI could use a guy like you to spot people that aren't telling the truth.

;)

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 01:48 PM
I might be in the minority here, but if someone wants to buy my property, I am going to ask for what ever I can get it for.

I guess the fact about who owned those parking lots didn't matter much.

You can ask all you want. If I put my house up for sale for $2 million, nobody can stop me. That doesn't mean anyone would be stupid enough to pay it.

You are the only person I've ever heard even mention that. Where were these lots located? The gas station owner, Firestone owner, USPS, etc managed to come to terms with the City.

Pricetag
3/8/2006, 01:48 PM
The FBI could use a guy like you to spot people that aren't telling the truth.

;)
:D

In all seriousness, did you see the tape? She completely lost her composure. Most politicians, even in a lie, would at least be able to do it straight faced.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 01:51 PM
I have a hard time believing that.
I believe he raised about 2 mill if I read correctly according to the TW.

And spent most of it trying to beat Medlock and who ever else.

Medlock had something like $200,000.

And you are correct, while not millions, the $ difference is staggering.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 01:59 PM
You can ask all you want. If I put my house up for sale for $2 million, nobody can stop me. That doesn't mean anyone would be stupid enough to pay it.Agreed, but its still your right to do that.

You are the only person I've ever heard even mention that. Where were these lots located? The gas station owner, Firestone owner, USPS, etc managed to come to terms with the City.

I believe they did after this blew up in the cities face. I think certain people also resigned as well after all this, although I cannot remember. It was after this when Medlock started speaking out about how the arena is being managed, and that no one knew why this location was picked.

The lots were right buy the restaurant though.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 02:02 PM
I believe he raised about 2 mill if I read correctly according to the TW.

And spent most of it trying to beat Medlock and who ever else.

Medlock had something like $200,000.

And you are correct, while not millions, the $ difference is staggering.

That's just because nobody would be willing to give that tool any money.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 02:03 PM
I believe they did after this blew up in the cities face. I think certain people also resigned as well after all this, although I cannot remember.

The lots were right buy the restaurant though.

I don't remember anything blowing up. The only "problem" that came up that I remember was the lady and her son that owned the hole in the wall cafe. People resigned from where.......the City? Not that I'm aware of.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 02:06 PM
I don't remember anything blowing up. The only "problem" that came up that I remember was the lady and her son that owned the hole in the wall cafe. People resigned from where.......the City? Not that I'm aware of.

Was it the county then? Perhaps it was the city attorney I really can't remember. If the Tulsa World was worth a damn I might be able to refresh my memory better.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 02:09 PM
Was it the county then? Perhaps it was the city attorney I really can't remember. If the Tulsa World was worth a damn I might be able to refresh my memory better.

I'm just saying I don't recall any resignations. I also don't recall there being any big issues regarding the property purchases which, if that were the case, there wouldn't be any resignations. I could be wrong as well, but I just don't recall any of the "dirty secrets" you've mentioned regarding the arena.

picasso
3/8/2006, 02:14 PM
Tuba, ya ever notice how Tulsa isn't exactly pro-active in downtown development? one of the main cogs is Mr. Medlock.
I'm no big Lafortune fan but I've heard less than flattering things about Meddie.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 02:21 PM
Tuba, ya ever notice how Tulsa isn't exactly pro-active in downtown development? one of the main cogs is Mr. Medlock.
I'm no big Lafortune fan but I've heard less than flattering things about Meddie.

Yeah, I understand that!

What I agreed most with Medlock on was the whole downtown development idea being flawed. I love DT Tulsa but not in spite of the rest of town.

Downtown isn't the center of the city. The center is moving south and needs to slowly be brought back north towards DT to retain the tax base. This includes massive river development, brookside, cherry street, promanade, infills, etc IMO.

Also, the crumbling infastructure of this town (and state) needs help ASAP, before more $$$ comes in downtown IMO.

9th worst streets in the country man.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 02:30 PM
Hey Tuba, I don't give a **** who's Mayor to be quite honest with you. Medlock while he was on the city council and while he was running in the R primary never seemed to have a plan other than bashing what he perceived to be the status quo. Even on his website I can't find his plan, what he intended to do other than bash the current administration. My problem with people like Medlock and McCorkell is that they don't put forth their message, they bash their opponents. Medlock didn't win because no one knew what the **** he stood for.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 02:42 PM
The only reason ppl didn't know what Medlock was for is because he had no $ to promote himself, yet came a lot closer to unseating Lafortune then McCorkell came to unseating Ms. Two Times. He had a grassroots campaign that was ignored or attacked by the Tulsa World (the paper that tried to have him re-called).

If only BikerFox would have run for Mayor.

1stTimeCaller
3/8/2006, 02:43 PM
This is fun watching Tuba whine about his candidate getting beat in an election. ;)

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 02:45 PM
The only reason ppl didn't know what Medlock was for is because he had no $ to promote himself, yet came a lot closer to unseating Lafortune then McCorkell came to unseating Ms. Two Times. He had a grassroots campaign that was ignored or attacked by the Tulsa World (the paper that tried to have him re-called).

It's a vicious cycle. If you're a tool, nobody gives you money and you have no money to run in an election.

And we had Paul Tay, what more could you ask for? :D

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 02:49 PM
This is fun watching Tuba whine about his candidate getting beat in an election. ;)

Doesn't happen often. Perhaps if I still lived in Tulsa, I could have helped out more.

Oh wait, according to Kathy Taylor, that really doesn't matter anymore. Go figure.

Mjcpr
3/8/2006, 02:51 PM
Oh wait, according to Kathy Taylor, that really doesn't matter anymore. Go figure.

I don't know if she did this or not. I don't know that it could even be proven at this point as the document that the voter signs was destroyed after two years here. She claims to have voted absentee in Florida and not voted here, right?

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 02:51 PM
It's a vicious cycle. If you're a tool, nobody gives you money and you have no money to run in an election.

And we had Paul Tay, what more could you ask for? :D

you may think Medlock is a tool, but the fact is Lafortune wouldn't have won had he not been given a lot of money from the special interests that control Tulsa.

The bridge to Bixby and Great Plaines airlines are two great examples of this.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 02:54 PM
I don't know if she did this or not. I don't know that it could even be proven at this point as the document that the voter signs was destroyed after two years here. She claims to have voted absentee in Florida and not voted here, right?

I think it has been proven actually, but I am sketchy on details again. She is contesting it saying it was another Kathy C Taylor that lives at the same address or something like that.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 03:02 PM

Tuba the reason he didn't get elected was because no one knew what the fu*k he stood for. I still don't know his views on the issues. From his website it's impossible to tell what the hell he would do as mayor that would be positive. Maybe he would have been the greatest mayor in the history of mayors, his problem was he did a sh*tty job of getting his message out. People associated him as being anti-LaFortune and that's about it. It's not about money, it's about the message. To be honest he probably could have knocked LaFortune out of the race had he focused on issues and pushed the positive parts of his agenda.

OklahomaTrombone
3/8/2006, 04:32 PM
Tuba - you're counting a lot of the votes Medlock recieved as Pro-Medlock instead of Anti-Lafortune.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 04:47 PM
http://www.randimillerformayor.com/

See the difference? One is talking about what her plan is, the other doesn't say anything about why he should be mayor, rather more time is spent bashing his opponent and posting articles written by Michael Bates. Randi Miller had LESS money than Medlock and she did a better job of getting her message across. Medlock looks like a whiny bitch.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 05:21 PM
Tuba - you're counting a lot of the votes Medlock recieved as Pro-Medlock instead of Anti-Lafortune.

According to JM, there wasn't a difference given Medlock didn't stand for anything.

1stTimeCaller
3/8/2006, 05:24 PM
According to JM, there wasn't a difference given Medlock didn't stand for anything.

That is NOT what JohnnyMack said.

Please continue your reading comprenhension lessons.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 05:27 PM
http://www.randimillerformayor.com/

See the difference? One is talking about what her plan is, the other doesn't say anything about why he should be mayor, rather more time is spent bashing his opponent and posting articles written by Michael Bates.

Well, except for this part of his website, which he also would talk about on the his radio and Tv spots as well as interviews, etc.

Chris Medlock announced several key policy initiatives as part of his candidacy for Mayor of Tulsa. The are:

The immediate implementation upon assuming office of a national search to hire a certified city manager to run the day to day operations of Tulsa’s massive and diverse bureaucracy.

Encouragement of the voters of the City of Tulsa to not renew Tulsa County’s “Four to Fix the County” sales tax initiative. Should the voters not renew the County’s tax, Medlock promises that his administration would put forth a menu of two-year sales tax questions that would focus on Public Safety including, funding for adequate Police and Fire academies, public safety salaries to retain officers, residential street lighting, juvenile intervention and development of a bi-lingual police force. “Every candidate in this race is going to say they will put public safety first,” Medlock said. “I’m the first to tell the voters how we can put a larger and better police force and fire department on the streets, without paying more taxes than we currently are.”

A returned emphasis on strategic analysis and planning as an integral part of any new initiatives, a policy Medlock has been very aggressive in trying to encourage during his term as a councilor. This will focus predominantly on the continued development of a overall strategy for economic development that centers on how the City of Tulsa will compete in an era of rampant suburban development.

The beginning of a study and dialogue to determine if another form of government (most notably the City Manager/Strong Council form that Oklahoma City has) might not better serve Tulsa. “As mayor, I am prepared to start a process, the result of which might very well put me out of a job.” Medlock pledged. “I will work every day for what is best for Tulsa and not for re-election. I’ve proven I’ll take the heat to do what I believe to be best for Tulsa.”

A pledge to ensure that the Vision 2025 projects resoundingly supported by the voters in 2003 will be carried out with fiscal responsibility and that the tax will be ended early, should the approved projects be completed before the end of the thirteen year term of the tax. “Any new projects should be brought to the voters, not selected by a handful of elected officials,” Medlock observed.

The beginning of an aggressive lobbying effort to cooperatively work with urban legislators (both Republican and Democrat) to develop a statewide legislative policy that recognizes the nature and importance of cities in the 21st Century economy. “I have proven I can work with officials of both parties to pursue common objectives,” Medlock said. “I truly believe that we can work together to change the way cities are allowed to fund government without raising the tax burden on our citizens.

“We will be bringing these and other ideas before the voters over the next six months,” Medlock promised. “I am confident that the voters will see the ideas I’m offering, as well as the team I’ll be building, with the result of our support growing and growing. Tulsan’s wanted change four years ago and I believe they will still support a candidate that will bring the best minds to bear on solving the problems that face us.”

Well lookie here, form the website, its his plan.
Proving you wrong all the time is getting boring JM.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 05:32 PM
Well, except for this part of his website, which he also would talk about on the his radio and Tv spots as well as interviews, etc.

Well lookie here, form the website, its his plan.
Proving you wrong all the time is getting boring JM.

Where the hell is that on his website? I can't find that.

edit: Oh, found it, buried at the bottom of the page in a separate link below a bunch of blog postings and LaFortune bashing. Tuba, this guy isn't mayor material. He's a crybaby.

OklahomaTuba
3/8/2006, 05:56 PM
I can see him coming off that way. No argument from me there.

JohnnyMack
3/8/2006, 06:09 PM
No argument from me there.

And with that post I have acheived my mission and am leaving soonerfans forever.

Mjcpr
5/6/2006, 12:04 PM
FYI: She won't be taking a salary for FY 06-07. She said it would be set aside for use by the Mayor's office for projects they may not otherwise be able to fund. Small projects I'm sure, but the gesture is nice.....