PDA

View Full Version : Can Oklahoma block anyone?

FlatheadSooner
3/7/2006, 08:55 PM
Stewart Mandell asks..........."Can Oklahoma block anyone?"

"The Sooners have Adrian Peterson and Rhett Bomar and are loaded on defense, but one thing Oklahoma is desperately missing is proven offensive linemen. The departures of starters Davin Joseph, Kelvin Chaisson, Chris Bush and Chris Chester -- on the heels of stars Jammal Brown and Vince Carter graduating the previous year and two others quitting the team last fall -- means that several youngsters will have to mature in a hurry. Most notably, head coach Bob Stoops will be looking for major progress this spring from sophomores Branndon Braxton and J.D. Quinn, who started sporadically last season, and center Jon Cooper, who shined as a true freshman last season before breaking his ankle. Juco transfer Sherrone Moore, who enrolled in January, will also get a long look."

Bring em on Stewy. :cool:
As mentioned in previous threads, I believe we'll be far ahead of where we started out last year, re: OL, due to the lack of controversy and starting out with a bit more experience from the younger corps on the field.

CoSooner
3/7/2006, 10:05 PM
link?

opksooner
3/7/2006, 10:13 PM
Your link, sir. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/03/06/spring.questions/1.html)

Collier11
3/7/2006, 10:18 PM
we have moore and walker who were juco guys that can start, cooper will start if healthy, messner actually graded the highest of all o-linemen last year, and braxton and duke have a year under their belt. I think we will be alot better off than last year at the beginning of the year

CoSooner
3/7/2006, 10:23 PM
Your link, sir. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/03/06/spring.questions/1.html)
Thank you

SoonerStormchaser
3/8/2006, 01:29 AM
****...throw in the ****ing towel...I'm giving up on them. No blocking? How in the hell are we gonna win any games at all? Let's just forfeit right now!

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2006, 07:19 AM
I think it's a valid question.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/8/2006, 10:01 AM
we have moore and walker who were juco guys that can start, cooper will start if healthy, messner actually graded the highest of all o-linemen last year, and braxton and duke have a year under their belt. I think we will be alot better off than last year at the beginning of the year

If we don't have 2 lineman quit a week before the first game we will be better off than before the start of last year.

I think it is a fair concern that the line is largely unproven but that doesn't mean they can't/won't be very good. Certainly I'm not too worried about the situation at RB, QB, or WR so if I'm concerned with anything it is the OL. I'm confident that we will start the year with 5-6 good lineman. The question I have will be how good will our depth be next year if 1-2 go down. Long term I think the OL situation looks good.

TopDawg
3/8/2006, 10:50 AM
I think it's a valid question.

Nobody questions our football program, Harry, NOBODY!

Now basketball on the other hand......

Bourbon St Sooner
3/8/2006, 12:15 PM
Nobody questions our football program, Harry, NOBODY!

Now basketball on the other hand......

Pumper.

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 12:36 PM
JUCOs under Stoops haven't done a lot so if we have to rely on 2 JUCOs to start it'll be a long year again. Replacing 4 seniors off of last years team will be tough.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2006, 12:42 PM
and now in this corner, we have the reality that was 2005

2 first day draft picks, all upperclassmen form one of the worst OLs in recent memory

in the other corner, we have the trendline of new coaches

every first year coach has made a huge impact at his position.

which one gives?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2006, 12:42 PM
JUCOs under Stoops haven't done a lot so if we have to rely on 2 JUCOs to start it'll be a long year again. Replacing 4 seniors off of last years team will be tough.

jucos in general or juco OL?

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 12:47 PM
JUCO OL. I can only think of Howard Duncan as one that had success. There may have been one other

shavedmarmoset
3/8/2006, 01:00 PM
Jon Cooper will be solid, as will Messner. The rest worries me somewhat. I just don't know who is gonna stay or go. I hate losing linemen right before the season.

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 01:01 PM
I think Messner will be okay but he'll have a bad matchup against some DEs because of his size. Cooper will have to get over his injury. We'll see about where he is in the fall.

tennsooner
3/8/2006, 01:34 PM
JUCOs under Stoops haven't done a lot so if we have to rely on 2 JUCOs to start it'll be a long year again. Replacing 4 seniors off of last years team will be tough.So what are you saying there Nick? Does Bob just not know how to teach someone that has a couple years of college or does he look all over the country for some men he wants to fail with? Do they get dumber or weaker under Stoops? Have we had some good ones that if you would have had some quality time to spend with them they would be fit for the NFL? I really really don't understand that statement.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2006, 01:51 PM
there is a common denominator is our juco OL issues -> can they make it to the first game?

we are 1/4 on juco OL

duncan above - big 12 HM
werth - quit after the spring (colorado)
hawk - quit after the spring (no where)
keith - quit before the first game

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 02:06 PM
I think Davis was a JUCO OL that's the only other one I can think of.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2006, 02:10 PM
brad davis was in boo's last class as a freshman

NickZeppelin
3/8/2006, 03:00 PM
I thought he was a JUCO. He was only on 2 rosters at OU.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2006, 03:04 PM
brad davis was one of several guys in boo's last class that only had 1-2 D1 offers. he and chike ozumba we stole from stephen f austin i believe. woolfolk was also in this category.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/8/2006, 03:15 PM
Can anyone REALLY block anyone when you really think about it....

I'll leave you all with that....

MiccoMacey
3/8/2006, 04:17 PM
he and chike ozumba we stole from stephen f austin i believe.

Doesn't that put Chike in the JUCO OL class then?

Herr Scholz
3/8/2006, 04:19 PM

Can God create a blocking sled so heavy that he can't move it?

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2006, 04:20 PM
Heh, apparently Collier doesn't agree with my simple statement. :rolleyes:

Guess you were right TopDawg.

Collier11
3/8/2006, 04:20 PM

I dont really know, but what I do know is that no one cannot block someone!!!:confused:

Collier11
3/8/2006, 04:22 PM
Heh, apparently Collier doesn't agree with my simple statement. :rolleyes:

Guess you were right TopDawg.

actually harry, it was simply a joke...I always agree with you, loL!

Desert Sapper
3/8/2006, 05:00 PM
I hope the youngsters step up and perform better than all those Senior starters did last year. One can hope. Probably the only thing we have going for us over last season is 4 O-Linemen with starting experience (Messner, Braxton, Quinn, and Cooper) returning in 2006 as opposed to 3 (Chaisson, Bush, and Joseph) in 2005. What we don't have is anybody returning that started most of the year (like Davin Joseph and Kelvin Chaisson did in 2004). We also have Duke Robinson that played some. That might help.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2006, 05:11 PM
Doesn't that put Chike in the JUCO OL class then?

i'm assuming you are joking, but if not, we were in a heated battle with them to land them as high school seniors.

stoopified
3/8/2006, 05:13 PM
No,we are doomed.

MiccoMacey
3/8/2006, 05:20 PM
i'm assuming you are joking, but if not, we were in a heated battle with them to land them as high school seniors.

Busted. ;)

However, a guy I coached with in Texas went to SFA. A prouder Lumberjack I never met.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2006, 05:27 PM
Busted. ;)

However, a guy I coached with in Texas went to SFA. A prouder Lumberjack I never met.

one of the funnier things to look back on about the boo recruiting years was how many guys we used to lose to baylor. through crimson glasses you are like "wow, baylor is going to be pretty good next year", reality of course was a little different.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
3/8/2006, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=FlatheadSooner]Stewart Mandell asks..........."Can Oklahoma block anyone?"

QUOTE]

Man I hope so. Rhett is going to get killed if they don't. They boy must be made of freaking steel!! But I don't think he can take another year of the beatings he took last year.

piratejazz
3/10/2006, 09:24 PM
I'll admit its somewhat disheartening to see the losses at O-line after an already disappointing season at that position. What I will add in as a consolation and a possible positive for the season is the Sooners' signing of former Northwestern OL coach James Patton. According to ESPN.com's Big 12 notebook every senior Patton has coached from 2001-2004 has gone on to the NFL and Zach Strief, one of Patton's boys last year, was a first team all-american and is looking like he'll be drafted this year. Anyhow, hopefully this O-Line wonder man can turn our inexperienced bunch into an all-conference/all-american type of line before the season is through.