PDA

View Full Version : Torrance Marshall wins AFL game for Austin

kelloggOUballa
3/7/2006, 07:56 PM
Wranglers hold off Force, 53-52
Courtesy: Austin Wranglers
Release: 03/04/2006

In a highly touted matchup of two Southern Division powerhouses, it came down to the wire as the Austin Wranglers battled back to beat the Georgia Force 53-52 on Saturday afternoon at the Philips Arena in Atlanta. Austin moves to 5-1 on the season, with a 4-1 road record.

Several defensive stops, consistent play on special teams and a number of forced turnovers led to the win, as the Wranglers were down by two touchdowns at one point in the first half. The most important stop came when Wranglers fullback/linebacker Torrance Marshall broke-up a Matt Nagy pass intended for Derek Lee in the end zone, preventing Georgia from scoring in the final minute of play.

The Wranglers got the ball back on downs, but were already ahead by one point and managed to run out the clock using a pass play to Derrick Lewis and two running plays with Kevin Nickerson and Dane Krager.

Taking the final lead of the game, the Wranglers used some trickery on fourth and goal as Fitzgerald faked a handoff to Sir Mawn Wilson and took the ball in himself for the two-yard touchdown run. Fitzgerald finished the day 23-of-32 for 213 yards and four touchdowns, including one rushing score.

I just saw this on FSN, they said he also recovered a fumble and had two tackles. Way to go T-Marsh!

OU-HSV
3/7/2006, 08:19 PM
Torrance is a bad ***. I'm surprised he's not in the NFL anymore

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/7/2006, 08:25 PM
Torrance is a bad ***. I'm surprised he's not in the NFL anymore

i'd be surprised if he could spell NFL

Collier11
3/7/2006, 08:36 PM
he lasted something like 4 years in the nfl, he just couldnt ever get off of special teams due to the inability to grasp the D is what ive heard

Rhino
3/7/2006, 08:54 PM
I wonder what happened to that warrant.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2006, 09:00 PM

Honestly, I'd be surprised if he could spell "N".

Too bad, really. I remember back in 2000 calling in to a radio show that was asking who was a player who WASN'T getting publicity that would be a dominant player in the NFL. I called in and said Torrance Marshall based on his explosiveness and ability to play both run and pass. The host thought about it and said that I might have a point.

If TM could just grasp a defense, imagine what an animal he could have been. When he DID read a play, good things ALWAYS happened. The INT on Farris comes to mind, as does the absolute destruction of Quincy Morgan in the Big 12 title game on the jailbreak screen.

OU-HSV
3/7/2006, 09:04 PM
I think the first big play that comes to any of our minds is that INT you mentioned. Someone posted that vid clip a few months ago, it was great to watch it again.

bigdsooner
3/7/2006, 09:28 PM
what about the OB pic of weinke

AZfanIII
3/8/2006, 12:25 AM
Both those INT's were beautiful. Maybe he'll play his way onto a team that will take the time to teach him something.

Readyfor8
3/8/2006, 07:06 AM
I kinda feel sorry for him having to live in Austin around all that orange. On the other hand the Austinites have to watch and cheer for him if the franchise is successful, I guess thats something...

Mac94
3/8/2006, 10:43 AM
Here in Austin this morning the guys on 1300am "the Zone" interviewed Wranglers backup QB (and Texas Ex) Chance Mock and they asked him about being friends with a Sooner. Chance said something to the effect of; when you stand next to Marshall and see how big and strong he is, you do everything you can to be his friend.

n8v_ndn
3/8/2006, 10:48 AM
I saw a Wranglers game at the Erwin Center 2 years ago when they had 3 Sooners on the roster (only 2 played). The game came down to a 2-point conversion pass play for the win...overall, the AFL is a pretty good time.

OUthunder
3/8/2006, 10:52 AM
Didn't Torrance like the weed a bit too much?

shavedmarmoset
3/8/2006, 01:04 PM
Didn't Torrance like the weed a bit too much?

Well yeah...thats why he was drafted so late. Imagine if he had a decent head on his shoulders. He would be Rocky, but more athletic. What a beast!

Then again that head on his shoulders was the same one talkin smack to Chris Weinke before the OB and I don't think I would trade that for anything:D :D

oumartin
3/9/2006, 11:50 AM
Dude will always be a Sooner great for that 2000 NC run.

regardless of what he does on the playin' field again he was definately a player at the college level.

JohnnyMack
3/9/2006, 04:41 PM
What, was the game tied and at the end instead of OT they had a Math Bee?

Ha! Damn I'm funny!

Ha.

OUstud
3/9/2006, 04:45 PM
Remember the other screen he disrupted in the Orange Bowl? Can't remember the RB, but the announcers laughed in awe.

Herr Scholz
3/9/2006, 04:58 PM
I kinda feel sorry for him having to live in Austin around all that orange. On the other hand the Austinites have to watch and cheer for him if the franchise is successful, I guess thats something...
Never been to a Wranglers game. We've also got Marcus Pfizer from ISU playing for our Austin Toros minor league b-ball team. Haven't seen them either. I'd probably have a hard time rooting for either one though.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/9/2006, 05:42 PM
Never been to a Wranglers game. We've also got Marcus Pfizer from ISU playing for our Austin Toros minor league b-ball team. Haven't seen them either. I'd probably have a hard time rooting for either one though.

And I can't root for Vince Young, no matter where he plays.

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2006, 05:54 PM

Fizer. Pfizer makes drugs.

Herr Scholz
3/9/2006, 06:01 PM
And I can't root for Vince Young, no matter where he plays.
Understandable. One exception for me is I've been able to root for Roy Williams on my Cowboys.

Herr Scholz
3/9/2006, 06:05 PM
Fizer. Pfizer makes drugs.
Right. :D

TheGodfather889
3/9/2006, 06:48 PM
Remember the other screen he disrupted in the Orange Bowl? Can't remember the RB, but the announcers laughed in awe.
That was Travis Minor.Torrance Marshall hit him hard on that one.Brad Nessler said he read it like a comic book.

WisconsinSooner
3/10/2006, 12:02 AM

That's why he's no longer in the NFL. He was given every opportunity up here and never could run the defense. Too bad. Great physical talent. Was a pretty good NFL special teams guy though.

OKC-SLC
3/10/2006, 01:16 AM
Torrance Marshall was the most important player in OU's return to national prominence and image not named Josh.

His plays on the field that year and his pre-OB smack to Weinke to me define that season as much as the pick-6 against NU, the quick first TD pass against UT, or the Strait play against OSU.

Big Red Ron
3/10/2006, 01:43 AM
I had a class with T-Marsh in 2000. I saw him on the first day and the last day. He showed up for the final about two minutes late and said "Can someone hlp a Brutha out." in front of the teacher. Everyone laughed...good times.