PDA

View Full Version : In the future, this forum will be known as . . .

Phil
3/7/2006, 12:28 PM
Sooner basketball. Thought I was gonna say Jay's Joint, didn't you?:P

Anyway, there has been a lot of angst around here recently regarding alleged sunshine pumping and those who are, shall we say, anti-pumpers. My man Jay Upchurch has been smack in the middle of it as the alleged chief pumper.

I have talked to Jay about this issue, and we have decided that it's in everyone's best interests if he just departs from the hoops board. That's what he's doing, effective immediately. He won't be posting here, won't be sending anyone any PMs, etc.

Jay is close to the program and Coach Sampson, and obviously disagrees with some of you guys' opinions about those two things. I can't say that I disagree with him. However, he has kind of let his personal feelings get tied up in it, which is OK for you guys as Joe Internet, but not so much for him. He doesn't need to be the lightning rod for any of this stuff and will not continue to be.

So, whatever has happened has happened. Jay won't be on the hoops board anymore. Put it to bed and leave Jay out of any future discussions, and everyone will be that much happier.

That is all. As you were.

CtheB
3/7/2006, 12:47 PM
Phil:

Classy post, but as one who has been on the opposite side of Jay in many of these arguments, I enjoyed his postings about the state of Sooner basketball and the game previews, news articles, and all of the other information. We all just have opinions, and in reality, that's all this board is for.

Now I ask, who will make the sun rise, sprinkle it with dew, and get the Sooners to the Final Four with a miracle or two?

That's right, the Jay-man.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/7/2006, 12:55 PM
I can try to do my part. If any of you are looking to join a cult I just want you to know that mine has the best tasting kool-aid. ;)

oumartin
3/7/2006, 01:01 PM
I'll only join your cult if I can have many beautiful women bathe me.

I'm sorry it went that south with Jay. Having a personal relationship with one would cause you to take things personally I'm sure.
He gave some good stuff to the bball board and if he could understand us as OU fans and to just laugh at us I'd take him back.

Phil
3/7/2006, 01:23 PM
Phil:

Classy post, but as one who has been on the opposite side of Jay in many of these arguments, I enjoyed his postings about the state of Sooner basketball and the game previews, news articles, and all of the other information. We all just have opinions, and in reality, that's all this board is for.

Now I ask, who will make the sun rise, sprinkle it with dew, and get the Sooners to the Final Four with a miracle or two?

That's right, the Jay-man.

I don't think he's going to stop posting his normal news/updates and stuff.

CtheB
3/7/2006, 01:28 PM
I'm glad to know that, but also understand that his opinion, regardless of personal connections or not, were as valid as anyone else's, and I hope he knows that.

Phil
3/7/2006, 01:46 PM
I don't think that's a problem. This whole thing was done in the name of peace and civility, nothing more.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/7/2006, 01:54 PM
Wait, I'm confused, everyone wants him to leave, and now that he's gone, everyone wants him back? :confused:

sanantoniosooner
3/7/2006, 02:02 PM
It no longer smells like Upchurch in here.:(

Ardmore_Sooner
3/7/2006, 02:14 PM
Sanantonio, what are you doing away from the 'Sooner' Fans thread in the football board?

C&CDean
3/7/2006, 02:14 PM
Wait, I'm confused, everyone wants him to leave, and now that he's gone, everyone wants him back? :confused:

This shouldn't be surprising. Everytime I've ever baned a poster people - even those calling for their head - go "I liked his schtick even if he was a putz."

And FWIW, I'm more in the camp, personally, of the pumpers. I believe we could be a lot better, but I like Kelvin and I like our program. There's a certain "something" that has been missing though. Like an ability to go balls out for 40 minutes maybe? I don't know, but our problems aren't from lack of effort on Kelvin's part. While he's the coach, and must shoulder the load, we don't have 5 guys to put on the court at the same time that are Sweet 16 material. Doesn't mean we can't get there - or beyond, but I just don't see the talent.

sanantoniosooner
3/7/2006, 02:15 PM
Sanantonio, what are you doing away from the 'Sooner' Fans thread in the football board?
I try and limit to a few posts on each page........one being the "freak out" post.

SoonerStormchaser
3/7/2006, 02:16 PM
Phil,

I'm not ok with him removing himself from the board. While he and I might not agree with everything, wouldn't it just be better if all of us just refrain from posting in a defensive mode? No one should be made to leave a board just because of a personal connection to the program (I know he wasn't, but I hope you get my point).

I just think that, if you think it's getting out of control...just take a break and don't post for awhile.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

oumartin
3/7/2006, 02:18 PM
damned if you do and damned if you dont

sanantoniosooner
3/7/2006, 02:21 PM
If Jay has a close tie to the program then it makes sense for him to distance himself from this environment. I've seen the same situation other places and it will come down to him censoring the place to stay in good standing or leaving so he has no accountability for what happens here.

CtheB
3/7/2006, 02:24 PM

For the record, even though we had our arguments in a spirited manner, I never thought he should leave, and he never asked the same of me.

oumartin
3/7/2006, 02:28 PM
he never asked me to leave either, but he did tell me to f off and die. ;)

RacerX
3/7/2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks, Phil.

okienole3
3/7/2006, 02:35 PM
If Jay has a close tie to the program then it makes sense for him to distance himself from this environment. I've seen the same situation other places and it will come down to him censoring the place to stay in good standing or leaving so he has no accountability for what happens here.

He deleted at least one of my posts and an entire thread. So, it is probably for the better.

GDC
3/7/2006, 03:50 PM
jesus h christ

sanantoniosooner
3/7/2006, 03:53 PM
jesus h christ
Just what does the 'h' stand for?

oumartin
3/7/2006, 04:07 PM
HETERO!

RacerX
3/7/2006, 04:24 PM
Hubler!

NormanPride
3/7/2006, 04:34 PM
Hubler!

My thoughts exactly.

Big Red Ron
3/7/2006, 05:35 PM
Anyone else feel like having some Buffalo Wild Wings? Yummy!

oumartin
3/7/2006, 05:41 PM
Anyone else feel like earning some Red Wings? Yummy!

you nasty ***tard :D

John Kochtoston
3/7/2006, 07:21 PM
Just what does the 'h' stand for?

Hallmark.
Because God cared enough to send the very best.;)

stonecoldsoonerfan
3/7/2006, 08:10 PM
This shouldn't be surprising. Everytime I've ever baned a poster people - even those calling for their head - go "I liked his schtick even if he was a putz."

And FWIW, I'm more in the camp, personally, of the pumpers. I believe we could be a lot better, but I like Kelvin and I like our program. There's a certain "something" that has been missing though. Like an ability to go balls out for 40 minutes maybe? I don't know, but our problems aren't from lack of effort on Kelvin's part. While he's the coach, and must shoulder the load, we don't have 5 guys to put on the court at the same time that are Sweet 16 material. Doesn't mean we can't get there - or beyond, but I just don't see the talent.

dean:

i like you and everything, but you're making too much sense with your posts. this seems to be the case ever since you've been "no longer in norms hiney in norman". would you please retire back into norm's hiney in norman (or whereever his hiney is at the moment) and stop making so much sense?

thanks!

:dean:

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2006, 08:28 PM
Anyone else feel like having some Buffalo Wild Wings? Yummy!

Yes. Bastard. I've never even eaten there and I want some.

I think the closest is in Seattle.

I'm sad that Jay won't be posting here anymore. I like him. I like his optimism about the program, something that is sometimes sorely lacking on ALL Sooner message boards.

Vegas Sooner
3/9/2006, 06:16 PM
why did he quit??

sanantoniosooner
3/9/2006, 06:18 PM
why did he quit??
reading the first post in this thread will put you well on the way to the answer.

Vegas Sooner
3/9/2006, 06:26 PM
That is retarted.

Vegas Sooner
3/9/2006, 06:27 PM
........really retarted---Thay had to sit down and talk about it???

sanantoniosooner
3/9/2006, 06:33 PM
Retarted?

Vegas Sooner
3/9/2006, 06:35 PM
yes....retarted and gay

sanantoniosooner
3/9/2006, 06:38 PM
yes....retarted and gay
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=retarted

suncoastsooner7
3/9/2006, 06:48 PM
Without Jay shouldn't this forum be more propperly titled Bashing Kelvin?

sanantoniosooner
3/9/2006, 06:50 PM
Without Jay shouldn't this forum be more propperly titled Bashing Kelvin?
Actually that's a thread in the South Oval.

Pretty much any scale for temperature is fair game.

suncoastsooner7
3/9/2006, 07:04 PM
Damn I am already pumping as much sunshine as I can at other boards across the net, I don't think I could handle picking up Jay's slack over here. This place makes some of the other OU Boards look mild in comparrison when it comes to bashing KS. :(

SoonerBBall
3/9/2006, 07:59 PM
He deleted at least one of my posts and an entire thread. So, it is probably for the better.

Maybe because they were troll-ish?

MiccoMacey
3/9/2006, 08:15 PM
Or instead of a full-out ban, couldn't we just impose a "No Upchurch Thursday" or something?

I mean even horn fans have full privilige except on Tuesdays.

But I respectfully respect your decision. It's your board.

Plus, I liked Jay. I'm sorry to see him leave.

C&CDean
3/10/2006, 10:08 AM
dean:

i like you and everything, but you're making too much sense with your posts. this seems to be the case ever since you've been "no longer in norms hiney in norman". would you please retire back into norm's hiney in norman (or whereever his hiney is at the moment) and stop making so much sense?

thanks!

:dean:

I haven't been in Norm's hiney in probably 3 years. It's a stanky place. A dark, dank, odiferous, peanut and corn infested crevice that makes hell look inviting. Besides, he was tired of me nibbling the back of his neck.......

FaninAma
3/10/2006, 10:14 AM
Next Christmas Kelvin needs to ask Santa Claus for an offense for his team.

Vegas Sooner
3/10/2006, 01:09 PM
and you need to ask for a pro basketball program b/c you obviously know nothing about college ball.

FaninAma
3/11/2006, 12:58 AM
and you need to ask for a pro basketball program b/c you obviously know nothing about college ball.

Why don't you give me the name of the book you wrote on the subject and I'll gladly pick up a copy. Are you sure you don't post under the handle of CoolM on the OUinsider board? If you're not him you sure would fit in well with his groupies over there.

birddog
3/11/2006, 11:11 AM
firecalvinsimpson.com?

Vegas Sooner
3/12/2006, 11:12 PM
Why don't you give me the name of the book you wrote on the subject and I'll gladly pick up a copy. Are you sure you don't post under the handle of CoolM on the OUinsider board? If you're not him you sure would fit in well with his groupies over there.

You probably did not even graduate from OU. I bet you are fat too.

Vegas Sooner
3/12/2006, 11:17 PM
This is just Alumni and students right?..............other than you.

Vegas Sooner
3/12/2006, 11:18 PM
firecalvinsimpson.com?
I hope they keep that name

KABOOKIE
3/14/2006, 01:23 PM
Vegas Sooner = Upchurch?

C&CDean
3/14/2006, 05:45 PM
You probably did not even graduate from OU. I bet you are fat too.

Heh. One outta two ain't bad......

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/14/2006, 05:54 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=retarted

heh, retardate

okienole3
3/15/2006, 11:12 AM
Maybe because they were troll-ish?

Maybe you don't know what the f you are talking about?

tanjou
3/17/2006, 09:45 AM
I love e-drama.

spaceman
3/23/2006, 07:56 PM
What is it with guys that cover the OU basketball program. Myron's been posting on another board defending Kelvin. I don't get it? Is this something that is unique to the oklahoma media. I can't imagine Paul Finebaum down in Birmingham getting on a message board and defending Mike Shula.