PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 = $1000

Hatfield
3/7/2006, 12:02 PM
Holy Carp!!

Sony's Playstation 3 (PS3) reportedly could cost nearly a thousand dollars, and might not ship in the US until 2007. Entitled "PS3: Everything we know," a 1up.com story speculates about PS3 hardware, ship dates, pricing, and available game titles, but doesn't mention the Linux OS options that may be available with the platform.

According to 1up, the PS3 may cost considerably more than Microsoft's XBox -- more than $800 or $900, according to a Merrill Lynch report cited by 1up. Most gaming consoles cost about $300, it says.

The PS3's high cost may derive in part from its high-end hardware specification. Unlike most gaming consoles, it will have a hard drive. Its embedded computer will be based on a 3.2GHz "Cell" processor, a graphics chip supplied by NVidia, and 256MB each of RAM and video RAM. It will include a Blu-Ray high-definition DVD drive, gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g wireless networking, six USB 2.0 ports, and slots for a variety of removable memory card form-factors. It will also feature a new "batarang" controller.

Overall, 1up expects the PS3 to be more powerful than the XBox, but not by as much as Sony has suggested.

1up expects about 150 PS3 titles to be produced, initially. Unlike the XBox, the PS3 will use an "open" network model in which game creators can run their own websites for multiplayer online gaming.

The 1up article does not mention the liklihood that Linux-based cartridges for the PS3 will allow it to serve in non-traditional gaming console roles, such as video editing, word processing, and photo editing.

1up thinks a Japanese version of the Playstation 3 could ship as soon as the original target date of this spring, with US availability this fall. Or, as Merrill Lynch has suggested, it might reach the US in 2007.

mrowl
3/7/2006, 12:04 PM
that Blu-Ray drive will work great when it goes in the "beta" pile.

OUDoc
3/7/2006, 12:06 PM
That'll be a tough sell. I really don't need wireless internet (it'll slow online play anyway, not that I want to get beat by 13yo geeks anyway). Geez, guys, it's used to play games, not perform open heart surgery. Losing sight of that?

Oldnslo
3/7/2006, 12:06 PM
Seems a bit pricey for a gaming console, even if I can watch hi-def DVD's on it.

mrowl
3/7/2006, 12:08 PM
and if it does include a blu-ray drive, there is no way it comes out this spring.

Sooner in Tampa
3/7/2006, 12:09 PM
This will only fuel sales of XBOX 360...Bill Gates will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Rhino
3/7/2006, 12:13 PM
It better also cook me food, open my beer and mow my lawn if they expect me to pay $1000 for it.

OUstudent4life
3/7/2006, 12:24 PM
The components are going to cost in the $800 range...if Sony decides to take the same hit that Microsoft does (~$150 loss on each console sold) it'll end up around $650. Still pricey, but less when you consider that both Microsoft and Sony understand that it's not the console that makes the money, it's the games, so they price to lose money on every console.

Kinda like McDonalds losing money on every hamburger sold. They make all their money in fries and sodas.

I don't know about wireless internet slowing gaming down...I've got my Xbox using a wireless router, and I don't notice any apprecaible difference from when I used to run a 50 foot cable from my living room to the modem in the study...which is to say, I still get my arse beat down regularly at Halo2 online...

skycat
3/7/2006, 12:25 PM
Geez, guys, it's used to play games, not perform open heart surgery. Losing sight of that?

Well, yeah. It's pretty clear that Sony sees the PS3 as a big step toward a multimedia hub which you'll build your entertainment center around. I'm not sure it's the right strategy, but it's the one that they've chosen.

And Sony better hope that Blue-Ray's fortunes turn around quickly. The format was the clear leader not many months ago, but they've taken some big blows lately. They tried to go revolutionary change as opposed to evolutionary change, and it looks like it might bite them in the rear.

Widescreen
3/7/2006, 01:02 PM
Blu-Ray's only problem is its cost. It's superior in most ways to HD-DVD but if people have to pay $200 more for the player, we may see a rehash of an inferior VHS beating out Beta.

Hatfield
3/7/2006, 01:11 PM
like anyone is old enough to remember beta besides you.

slickdawg
3/7/2006, 01:28 PM
that Blu-Ray drive will work great when it goes in the "beta" pile.

you ain't kidding.....

OUDoc
3/7/2006, 01:29 PM
I remember the "Beta" section of video stores. I remember the "Laser Disc" section too. I also remember video stores that weren't Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.
I deserve a cookie or something.

Vaevictis
3/7/2006, 01:33 PM
Also keep in mind that even if $1000 is the starting price, history shows that $1000 is a price video game early adopters are willing to pay. (see Ebay prices on Xbox360 and Playstation 2 release)

It will drop as the various components start to take advantage of economies of scale -- ie, Sony will be selling those DVD drives in other products and to other companies, and the Cell processor is something IBM intends to install in some of their own products.

RacerX
3/7/2006, 01:47 PM
I still have a working Beta Hi-fi.

slickdawg
3/7/2006, 01:55 PM
I remember the "Beta" section of video stores. I remember the "Laser Disc" section too. I also remember video stores that weren't Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.
I deserve a cookie or something.

Oh yes, the good ol' Pioneer LaserDisc. The memories.

skycat
3/7/2006, 02:15 PM
Blu-Ray's only problem is its cost. It's superior in most ways to HD-DVD but if people have to pay $200 more for the player, we may see a rehash of an inferior VHS beating out Beta.

Unlike HD DVD, Blu-Ray has been unable to develop a manufacturable dual layer process. That's a problem, because even though it has higher native density than HD DVD, a single dual layer HD DVD can at this point hold an entire HD version of say, one of the LOTR special editions, while the single layer Blu-Ray can't even come close.

Microsoft has dumped support of Blu-Ray over fights over the application language associated with it. Blu-Ray is java, while HD DVD has gone with iHD, a mark-up language that by all reports is much easier to develop for. A few other companies that used to be Blu-Ray only are jumping on the HD DVD bandwagon as well.

Add to that production costs for discs, both in tooling costs, and manufacturing costs per disc, are much higher for Blu-Ray.

All told, things aren't looking all that great for Blu-Ray right now.

85Sooner
3/7/2006, 02:36 PM
Unlike HD DVD, Blu-Ray has been unable to develop a manufacturable dual layer process. That's a problem, because even though it has higher native density than HD DVD, a single dual layer HD DVD can at this point hold an entire HD version of say, one of the LOTR special editions, while the single layer Blu-Ray can't even come close.

Microsoft has dumped support of Blu-Ray over fights over the application language associated with it. Blu-Ray is java, while HD DVD has gone with iHD, a mark-up language that by all reports is much easier to develop for. A few other companies that used to be Blu-Ray only are jumping on the Blu-Ray bandwagon as well.

Add to that production costs for discs, both in tooling costs, and manufacturing costs per discs, are much higher for Blu-Ray.

All told, things aren't looking all that great for Blu-Ray right now.

VERYGOOD ACURATE ANALYSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

OUstudent4life
3/7/2006, 02:39 PM
I will make a friendly internet bet that the asking price for the PS3 is less than $1000.

Say, the price of a PS3? :D

I'm still betting a $650-750 window. Still hefty, though.

And the second it premires, the Xbox360 will drop $50 in price.

Which is good for me :D.

GottaHavePride
3/7/2006, 11:16 PM
XBox 360 is already pwning Sony just be having a two-year headstart on producing games. It's the same advantage the PS2 had over the original XBox, except that now the one showing up late to the party will cost twice as much.

OU-HSV
3/7/2006, 11:20 PM
If they really put that PS3 out for $1,000. They may as well keep the one I was gonna get. I'll keep playin my PS2 for about 10 years til the PS3's go down to $200, heh. Geeze, $1,000 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Penguin
3/8/2006, 12:44 AM
Six USB ports? That sounds like 6 too many.

chriscappel
3/8/2006, 01:00 AM
Cant we get back to this.....?

http://www.nesgames.co.uk/images/nes_console.jpg

Taxman71
3/8/2006, 07:55 AM
I guess I am safe buying the new Godfather game on PS2 without worrying about it being obsolete for a long time.

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2006, 08:57 AM

I still have one of these in the garage somewhere...

http://www.nwcomputers.com/atari2600.jpg

Taxman71
3/8/2006, 09:55 AM
I waited months for PacMan on the old Atari and pulled an all-nighter playing it when it came out. That was hard to do at age 10.

Mixer!
3/8/2006, 11:57 AM
Speaking of old video games that have yet to make a comeback... where's BEZERK? :confused:

sooner_jc
3/8/2006, 12:11 PM

I have one of those hooked up in my living room alongside a Dreamcast, PS2, XBOX, & XBOX 360. :D

And I will NOT be shelling out $1000 for a PS3.

NormanPride
3/8/2006, 12:16 PM
Good news to all the
fans: The
http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/ve3d/image/article/615/615669/newer-better-nintendo-revolution-pics-20050517085520971.jpg
Will play all the old games, from Mario Brothers to the little known but much enjoyed Blast Corps on the N64.

Vaevictis
3/8/2006, 12:25 PM
The question is, will it be able to connect to existing cartriges?

(According to the website, it says "downloadable". You'll exuse me if I am unenthusiastic about paying for games that I already have a copy of in my closet -- I have like 25-30 NES games, and at $45 each when they were new, that's no small amount. That doesn't even include my SNES, N64, or GameCube games.)

Oldnslo
3/8/2006, 12:36 PM
Speaking of old video games that have yet to make a comeback... where's BEZERK? :confused:
INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!