PDA

View Full Version : I just got a bill from a collection company

1stTimeCaller
3/7/2006, 11:58 AM
That mentions something about a Verizon wireless account but the account # doesn't match my Verizon wireless account # and my balance is $0.00 with Verizon and my phone has never been cut off, I always pay my phone bill.

What gives? Should I send them a nice note in the mail via registered mail telling them that I don't owe them money?

Oldnslo
3/7/2006, 12:05 PM
Not registered. Certified.

Send them a letter that says you dispute the account and that the numbers given do not match any account you have with Verizon.

The key language is that you "dispute the account". They'll try to find documentation to support their claim.

Do this as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you lose the benefits of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

ChickSoonerFan
3/7/2006, 12:06 PM
Sure...but you might just give them a call first. See if it is a mistake. Then follow up with a letter. Did you call them already?

Hatfield
and write your letter in poo

Beef
And **** on the letter before you mail it.

1stTimeCaller
3/7/2006, 12:10 PM
Not registered. Certified.

Send them a letter that says you dispute the account and that the numbers given do not match any account you have with Verizon.

The key language is that you "dispute the account". They'll try to find documentation to support their claim.

Do this as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you lose the benefits of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

So something like this:

'I dispute the account that you referenced in your letter to me dated 03/02/2006. I consider this matter closed unless I hear from you in writing within 30 days.'

ultimatesooner1
3/7/2006, 12:56 PM
go to www.creditboards.com and they have some great sample letters

mdklatt
3/7/2006, 01:02 PM
Should I send them a nice note in the mail via registered mail telling them that I don't owe them money?

Tell them to take their collection notice and p!ss on it.

usmc-sooner
3/7/2006, 01:03 PM
damn you just got a better job and your already stiffing people by not paying your bills

I bet you blew on the copy lady :D

JohnnyMack
3/7/2006, 01:09 PM
I just gave them your phone number.

1stTimeCaller
3/7/2006, 01:10 PM
I just gave them your phone number.

Whatever you do, don't give them my SS # 445-35-8452

OUinFLA
3/7/2006, 01:35 PM
Whatever you do, don't give them my SS # 445-35-8452

heh, that is just one number off of mine.
what a coincidence.

mdklatt
3/7/2006, 01:36 PM
heh, that is just one number off of mine.
what a coincidence.

444-35-8452

Skysooner
3/7/2006, 01:42 PM
My former girlfriend's SSN was

558-67-5309

Name of my girlfriend.....

http://www.aprilhenrymysteries.com/8675309_PlateREV.jpg

boomersooner28
3/7/2006, 02:11 PM
That mentions something about a Verizon wireless account but the account # doesn't match my Verizon wireless account # and my balance is $0.00 with Verizon and my phone has never been cut off, I always pay my phone bill.

What gives? Should I send them a nice note in the mail via registered mail telling them that I don't owe them money?

Been there done that. Give them them the last 4 digits of your SS# so they can verify that they are retarded.

TexasLidig8r
3/7/2006, 03:00 PM
No No No... There's a buck to be made here.

You call them (recording the call of course)... tell them you are very upset to receive the bill, have not slept well and how dare they!... the collector (mostly likely with a 6th grade education at best).. lights you up big time, cusses you out, threatens garnishment and to foreclose on your house...

You bring the tape to my office.. sign a handy dandy contract.... I file a nice little class action suit on your behalf...

We settle in about 15 months.. you get free cell phone service for life.. I get a boatload of attorney's fees.

You are free to urinate at will on carpets AND hard wood floors.

I keep myself afloat in Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin and lobster bisque.

JohnnyMack
3/7/2006, 03:16 PM
Somebody needs to get :dean:s "pay your bills" post out. That was one of the best evar.

1stTimeCaller
3/7/2006, 03:43 PM
This thread should be re-titled to: "How to get over on bills you owe and get encouragement from others to do it"

Why?

I pay Verizon 100% every month, my balance is $0.00. HTF does some collection company think I owe them money? I would think that maybe, just maybe, Verizon would shut off my cell phone if I owed them money and they had to get a collection company to collect it.

Why don't you pay the collection company for me? You owe them as much for that account as I do.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/7/2006, 04:33 PM

set up a special one time only checking account. Leave some minimum balance, $5.00.

Send them a check for $0.00 state it for payment in full for account # and tell them to leave you alone.

see if check clears and close account...