PDA

View Full Version : schools you applied to but were rejected from

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/7/2006, 11:49 AM
the GMAT thread got me thinking about some oddball crap that happened when i was applying for graduate school

applied (accepted)
OU
OSU
yale

applied (rejected)
north carolina
texas tech

undergrad

applied (accepted)
OU
caltech

applied (rejected)
florida
texas tech

someone in lubbock hates me

1stTimeCaller
3/7/2006, 11:52 AM
OU was the only regular school that I applied to.

I applied to and was kinda accepted to the Air Force Academy and the Naval Academy but a heart condition prevented the AFA or Annapolis from happening.

OUDoc
3/7/2006, 11:55 AM
Only applied to OU undergrad and Medical School. Thought about Stanford and Boston College undergrad, but didn't want to fill out the applications. ;)

JohnnyMack
3/7/2006, 11:57 AM
Only applied to OU.

mdklatt
I only applied to OU.

critical_phil
OU school of medicine

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/7/2006, 11:58 AM
Only applied to OU undergrad and Medical School. Thought about Stanford and Boston College undergrad, but didn't want to fill out the applications. ;)

that was part of the national merit thing - most of the schools waived the fees for applying. so my dad made me apply to all 5 schools i sent my scores too.

for graduate school, it was more of me not knowing what the heck i wanted to do. i ended up staying in tulsa and going through osu for $1800 out of pocket. the ROI on that decision has been pretty good.

Beef
3/7/2006, 11:58 AM
Applied and accepted:
OU
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Kansas
University of Virginia

Never rejected.

mdklatt
3/7/2006, 12:00 PM
someone in lubbock hates me

No kidding. How do you get accepted to Cal Tech (or OU for that matter) but get rejected by the sand aggies? :confused:

Rhino
3/7/2006, 12:01 PM
Applied and accepted:
Vanderbilt (scholly)
Oklahoma (no scholly?)
Southern Nazarene (scholly)

OUDoc
3/7/2006, 12:02 PM
Applied and accepted:
OU
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Kansas
University of Virginia

Never rejected.
I would have. ;)

jkm-
I remember that National Merit thing. I got the apps, I was too lazy to write an essay for some of those schools and figured I'd go to OU either way.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/7/2006, 12:03 PM
I would have. ;)

jkm-
I remember that National Merit thing. I got the apps, I was too lazy to write an essay for some of those schools and figured I'd go to OU either way.

there were essays? :eek:

Beef
3/7/2006, 12:04 PM
I would have. ;)
Women have more than made up for the lack of rejections from colleges.

soonerscuba
3/7/2006, 12:04 PM
(accepted)
OU
UT
Ole Miss

(rejected)
UNC
Notre Dame

oumartin
3/7/2006, 12:07 PM
rejected by local beauty college

HoserSooner
3/7/2006, 12:11 PM
Accepted

Carlton (Ottawa)
Laurentian (Sudbury)

Denied

Brock (St. Catherines)
McMaster (Hamilton)
Waterloo

usmc-sooner
3/7/2006, 12:55 PM
applied to OU accepted and went had a few small schollies

applied to OSU accepted did not go

applied to UCLA don't really remember what they said.

nmsoonergirl
3/7/2006, 01:26 PM
I got accepted everywhere I applied undergrad and med school (not that I applied to all that many places), but I applied for residency at U Alabama Birmingham and didn't even get invited for an interview (the only place that didn't offer me an interview. I'm still pretty bitter toward the whole state.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/7/2006, 01:29 PM
Applied (accepted)
OU
Georgia Tech
Purdue
Florida State
North Carolina State

Applied (not Accepted)
None that I recall...

IB4OU2
3/7/2006, 01:36 PM
Applied and accepted:
OU
OSU
U of Arkansas

Not rejected anywhere.

Pieces Hit
3/7/2006, 01:56 PM
The high school counselor kept saying I never applied myself.

Vaevictis
3/7/2006, 02:00 PM
I kept telling the high school counselor that I might apply myself if they'd just give me something worth applying myself to.

Norm In Norman
3/7/2006, 02:03 PM
Embarrassingly, I applied to OSU and got accepted AND they offered me quite a few scholorships. I applied to OU and got accepted, but I wasn't offered even half as much in scholorships. And it's more expensive to go to OU, so the difference was even bigger. I redeemed myself by going to OU anyway.

I doubt I would have made a good vet anyway.

fadada1
3/7/2006, 02:08 PM
grad school:

accepted:
u. of florida (went there)
u. of virginia
arizona state
florida state
u. of tennessee

denied:
u. of georgia
west virginia
ithaca u. (i laughed when they shot me down)

crawfish
3/7/2006, 02:19 PM
Accepted:

OU
UT

Begged me to come to their school (scholorship offer) to no avail:

osu

Accepted as grad student:

TCU

I was never rejected, but I have a feeling if I'd completed my application to Michigan I would have been.

Okla-homey
3/7/2006, 02:20 PM
I used to fantasize about applying to the Oklahoma Horseshoeing School . Seems like being a farrier would be a nice, stress-free and lucrative occupation -- 'cept for the hoss flies, heat and horse manure part.

mdklatt
3/7/2006, 02:24 PM
I used to fantasize about applying to the Oklahoma Horseshoeing School .

Main or South Campus?

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/7/2006, 02:29 PM
I used to fantasize about applying to the Oklahoma Horseshoeing School . Seems like being a farrier would be a nice, stress-free and lucrative occupation -- 'cept for the hoss flies, heat and horse manure part.

Homey, you ever shoe a horse? Aint nothin stress free about shoeing a horse. All the stress is in your lower back.

Law school was a much better choice.

Okla-homey
3/7/2006, 02:40 PM
Homey, you ever shoe a horse? Aint nothin stress free about shoeing a horse. All the stress is in your lower back.

Law school was a much better choice.

I meant less mentally stressful. Plus you get to wear a leather apron and pick up a cool nickname like "Gus" or "Scooter."

I wonder how much farriers make plying their trade at racetracks?

Do they get kicked much?

Vaevictis
3/7/2006, 02:45 PM

I don't know about racetracks, but there was a big stink a couple years ago about the guy in charge of shoeing the Houston Police (I think it was Houston) Department's horses, and getting paid six figures for 12 weeks of work per year. The station asked if he felt he was ripping off the city, and his comment was that he put in his bid, and it was the one selected, so no, he didn't feel he was ripping anyone off. (Turns out his was one of two bids, iirc)

I don't know if that's typical or not, but obviously it can be pretty lucrative.

SoonerBK
3/7/2006, 03:03 PM
OU was the only regular school that I applied to.

I applied to and was kinda accepted to the Air Force Academy and the Naval Academy but a heart condition prevented the AFA or Annapolis from happening.

I thought cadets had to be appointed to the military academies congressman or something.

SoonerInKCMO
3/7/2006, 03:03 PM
Undergrad:
Only applied to OU and was accepted.

Grad:
University of Tulsa - Accepted.
University of Minnesota - Accepted and attended.
OU - Denied.

So, of the three graduate programs I applied to, the two higher rated and 'more selective' accepted me and OU didn't. :confused:

C&CDean
3/7/2006, 03:13 PM
You know what? I don't have a ****ing clue what y'all are talking about.

I've got an undergrad from UCO, and a Master's from OU, and I never "applied" to either one (that I know of). I went to a community college for a while, then University of Phoenix (back when it was only in Phoenix), then UCO, then OU.

I semi-remember going to the admissions office at UCO and OU carrying a transcript from my previous college experience and enrolling. I didn't realize I was "applying." I did have a 4.0 though so maybe I was applying, got accepted, and didn't even realize it. If I was so smart, how could I not know I was "applying?"

GDC
3/7/2006, 03:17 PM
Out of high school I applied to OU, NSU, and Northern Arizona, and was accepted with a full ride at all three. Went to UTEP for my master's, never been turned down anywhere.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/7/2006, 03:17 PM
You know what? I don't have a ****ing clue what y'all are talking about.

I've got an undergrad from UCO, and a Master's from OU, and I never "applied" to either one (that I know of). I went to a community college for a while, then University of Phoenix (back when it was only in Phoenix), then UCO, then OU.

I semi-remember going to the admissions office at UCO and OU carrying a transcript from my previous college experience and enrolling. I didn't realize I was "applying." I did have a 4.0 though so maybe I was applying, got accepted, and didn't even realize it. If I was so smart, how could I not know I was "applying?"

that was when you had to write them your $35 check

Norm In Norman
3/7/2006, 03:18 PM
Dean just sat down in class one day and everyone knew that meant he had applied to the university.

GDC
3/7/2006, 03:19 PM
Since "applying" comes from the word application, you must have filled one out at some point.

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/7/2006, 03:19 PM
I meant less mentally stressful. Plus you get to wear a leather apron and pick up a cool nickname like "Gus" or "Scooter."

I figured that :D

I think the top guys / gals do pretty well. Just your general ferrier makes about $45-$100 per horse. I always tried to have one trim my horses about twice a year. I did it the rest of the time. I didn't get mine shod. If you have all the right equipment its easier on you but its still pretty tough work.

Do they get kicked much?
Not the good ones but you still get beat up alot. Even a well trained horse will shift its weight onto you when you pick up a foot and hold it for a while. Green broke horses and race horses can be a real workout but good ferriers have ways of making it easier.

C&CDean
3/7/2006, 03:20 PM
that was when you had to write them your $35 check

GI bill baby. They paid me to go to school. I wouldn't have done it if I had to pay for it.

C&CDean
3/7/2006, 03:23 PM
I figured that :D

I think the top guys / gals do pretty well. Just your general ferrier makes about $45-$100 per horse. I always tried to have one trim my horses about twice a year. I did it the rest of the time. I didn't get mine shod. If you have all the right equipment its easier on you but its still pretty tough work.

Not the good ones but you still get beat up alot. Even a well trained horse will shift its weight onto you when you pick up a foot and hold it for a while. Green broke horses and race horses can be a real workout but good ferriers have ways of making it easier.

Horses should be trimmed/shoed every 6-8 weeks. Our farrier charges $65 per horse for shoes, $35 for trims. Of course I rarely use him and almost always take the horses to the Oklahoma Horseshoeing School (there's only one now BTW just north of Purcell). $20 for shoes, $8 for trim.

And farrier's back, knees, shoulders, etc. take a terrible beating. Not to mention dealing with whacked-out horses and people. They don't make enough money for me to do it.

1stTimeCaller
3/7/2006, 03:49 PM
I thought cadets had to be appointed to the military academies congressman or something.

You do.

You have to fill out applications to both the academies and Congressmen.

GDC
3/7/2006, 03:55 PM
Horses should be trimmed/shoed every 6-8 weeks. Our farrier charges $65 per horse for shoes, $35 for trims. Of course I rarely use him and almost always take the horses to the Oklahoma Horseshoeing School (there's only one now BTW just north of Purcell). $20 for shoes, $8 for trim.

And farrier's back, knees, shoulders, etc. take a terrible beating. Not to mention dealing with whacked-out horses and people. They don't make enough money for me to do it.

That is truly the hardest work I've ever done, or more accurately, tried to do.

Palermo10
3/7/2006, 04:56 PM
U. of San Diego
Santa Clara University
UC Berkeley (rejected...nicely)
UC Santa Barbara
University of Oklahoma

Jerk
3/7/2006, 05:00 PM
Accepted:

Central Tech Truck Driving School

Rejected:

UCO

Tear Down This Wall
3/7/2006, 05:04 PM
Accepted - OU, Missouri, Azusa Pacific, North Texas, Dallas Baptist, Tulsa...yeah, I've applied to a weird mix of schools, mainly based on family, faith, and football.

No declines.

Okla-homey
3/7/2006, 05:34 PM

Anyway, seems like good honest work. Also seems like a strong kid without much else going for him in life could make a decent living for himself and his family doing it. I also imagine its steady work, and couldn't be any harder on the bod than working construction.

How many horses (at Dean's 65.00 rate) could a guys shoe per day? Is ten horses reasonable? That would be six fitty a day, less materials of course. 20 weekdays per month would therefore gross $13K per month.

That ain't bad jack. I guess you'd need a truck with a portable forge, your tools, shoe stock, nails and such if you went out to folks' place. If they came to you would need a barn, all the stuff above, with a paddock and bit of pasture. Even 5 horses shod per day would be $325 x 20 = $6.5K per month

On the downside, as litigious as our society has become, I guess they have to be bonded against liability if they accidentally mess up a horse. I would also imagine they pay pretty high rates for both health and life insurance.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/7/2006, 05:42 PM
I thought Tech didn't turn anyone down. I could have sworn they just had huge freshman classes and then just let people fail out but still get their money...like seriously I heard that.

Jimminy Crimson
3/7/2006, 06:29 PM
Applied to and accepted:

OU
SMU
Arizona St.

apusooner
3/7/2006, 09:40 PM
Asked to apply to--OU, Kansas, ECU, SWOSU,osu, Tulsa, Arkansas,Troy St., OCU, UCO--all for music
Actually applied to --OU(undergrad), Azusa Pacific Univ.(grad.)

Al Gore
3/7/2006, 09:50 PM
Applied: Kansas and Washburn

Accepted: Both and Kansas offered hairy legged women......

proud gonzo
3/7/2006, 10:44 PM
I wasn't rejected by anywhere. I was, however, accepted to quite a few places I never applied.

GottaHavePride
3/7/2006, 10:50 PM
Undergrad: accepted to OU, KU, and WSU; rejected by MIT.

Grad school: accepted to OU; rejected (at various times) by Northwestern, DePaul, the Mannes School of Music, the Manhattan School of Music, the Eastman School of Music, and the Juilliard School.

Vaevictis
3/7/2006, 11:23 PM

I don't know if they still do it, but I understand the Air Force Academy used to reserve a certain number of slots for children of officers who died while active.

NUSooner
3/8/2006, 12:14 AM
Accepted:
Oklahoma
Northwestern

Rejected:
Duke
Stanford

I first went to Northwestern, then after one and a half years I came to my senses and transferred to OU.

OklahomaTrombone
3/8/2006, 12:23 AM
Accepted:
OU
NSU
Tulsa
Texas Christian
Oklahoma Baptist
Drury University
Arizona State

Rejected:
None

SoonerBBall
3/8/2006, 09:12 PM
Undergrad:
Applied, Accepted, and Attended: OU

MBA:
Applied, Accepted, and Attended: OU

Law:
Applied, Accepted, and Enrolled: OU
Applied, Accepted, and Politely Declined to Attend: Baylor
Sent me letters asking me to apply every week for over a year: Northwestern, Miami, Tulane

No Rejections at any level.

IronSooner
3/8/2006, 10:42 PM
Undergrad:
Only applied to OU. Was accepted and attended.

Grad:
Purdue (accepted), Ohio St (accepted) and Illinois(accepted)

Went with Illinois and haven't been rejected anywhere.

Scott D
3/9/2006, 01:44 PM
Applied and Accepted:

OU
Seton Hall
Illinois
Wichita State
Hawaii

Applied and Rejected:

Towson State
Notre Dame
Wyoming
Georgetown

Frozen Sooner
3/9/2006, 02:31 PM
Applied:

OU
UT
Stanford
Harvard
Washington

Declined:
None

Gave me a big pile of cash:

OU

Teh win!

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 02:52 PM
The high school counselor kept saying I never applied myself.

Me too. Homework was not my friend, and affected my GPA more than I think it should have. ;)

Applied & Accepted
OU
OSU
Baylor
Trinity (San Antonio)

Applied & Skinny-lettered
Yale
Johns Hopkins
Washington-St. Louis
Northwestern (this is where I really wanted to go too :mad:)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/9/2006, 02:53 PM
Applied/Accepted and Attended (Undergrad):
OBU
UCO

Recruited By:
Phillips
JBU
Northwestern Oklahoma State

Graduate:
Applied/Accepted and Graduated From:
OU

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 03:28 PM
JBU

Juicy Booty U?

I remember one school that was sending me stuff. It's in middle of nowhere in the high desert in California. There's no TV or radio. Enrollment is limited to 12 students (all male). And when you're not in class you're working on a goat ranch. WTF?

IronSooner
3/9/2006, 03:34 PM
Enrollment is limited to 12 students (all male). And when you're not in class you're working on a goat ranch.

Real-life inspiration for Brokeback?

OklahomaTrombone
3/9/2006, 03:35 PM
Did the goats have large talons?

King Crimson
3/9/2006, 03:37 PM
Enrollment is limited to 12 students (all male). And when you're not in class you're working on a goat ranch. WTF?

http://yell.tamu.edu/images/group.jpg

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 03:37 PM
i'm still getting recruiting letters for the military.

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 03:56 PM
I remember one school that was sending me stuff. It's in middle of nowhere in the high desert in California. There's no TV or radio. Enrollment is limited to 12 students (all male). And when you're not in class you're working on a goat ranch. WTF?

Dude, I got stuff from that place too. I thought it was a commune.

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 04:12 PM
Dude, I got stuff from that place too. I thought it was a commune.

Do you remember the name? I'm trying to Google it.

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 04:17 PM
Do you remember the name? I'm trying to Google it.

No, I can't remember it. Was it in California or Nevada?

I think it was like a prep school. I remember them saying that 11 out of the 12 students went on to Ivy League schools and the other one went to Stanford.

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 04:19 PM
No, I can't remember it. Was it in California or Nevada?

It could have been Nevada.

I think it was like a prep school. I remember them saying that 11 out of the 12 students went on to Ivy League schools and the other one went to Stanford.

Exactly! We're thinking of the same place.

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2006, 04:21 PM
I think this is it...

http://www.deepsprings.edu/about/index.html

mdklatt
3/9/2006, 04:27 PM
I think this is it...

http://www.deepsprings.edu/about/index.html

That sounds like the place.

handcrafted
3/9/2006, 05:22 PM
Applied and accepted: OU and saxeT

OU offer me scholly, decision made. Only way I would have ended up a whorn is if UT had offered me and OU didn't.

FaninAma
3/9/2006, 05:29 PM
Accepted:
United States Military Academy
New Mexico School of Mines
Texas Tech University(undergrad)
Southwestern Oklahoma State (School of Pharmacy)
Texas Tech School of Medicine

Rejected:
US Coast Guard Academy
Juliard School of Performing Arts(They said I was a no-talent ***-clown and they didn't have a degree in clown.)