PDA

View Full Version : Big 8/Big 12 Tournament Memories

Sooner04
3/7/2006, 10:01 AM
I WAS THERE: OU
1. '03: In my first Big 12 Tournament OU defeats Colorado, Tech and Missouri to win the title.

2. '05: Everett catches the Hail Mary and completes a three-point play to finally put away a very game bunch of Missouri Tigers.

3. '04: Foust goes coast to coast against Texas.

NOT PRESENT, BUT AWESOME: OU
1. '90: Skeeter Henry unleashes the six-shooters and Roy Williams throws a hissy fit as OU obliterates KU in the semifinals.

2. '02: Jabahri Brown's flying condor steal leads to a crucial Sooner basket and paves the way for a win over #1 KU.

3. '01: Daryan Selvy's reverse slam completes a huge Sooner comeback against Texas in the finals and leads to Kelvin's first Big 12 Tournament title.

4. '92: Damon Patterson's filthy alley-oop slam polishes off a drubbing of Nebraska in the first round.

5. '88: Sieger shuts down Steve Henson as the Sooners wrap up the Big 8 Tournament title 88-83 over K-State.

I WAS THERE: MISCELLANEOUS:
1. '03: Touchdown, Pervis Pasco! K-State center catches a hail mary pass and thinks the game is over, so he begins jogging, with the ball, toward the cheerleaders. Officials call traveling, Colorado banks in a miracle three at the buzzer, and the Wildcats finally realize they did indeed sell their souls for football success.

2. '03: O-State watches in horror as a Mizzou jumper bounces four times on the rim and drops right as the horn goes off giving the Tigers a two-point win in the semifinals.

NOT PRESENT, BUT REMEMBERED:
1. '95: Donnie Boyce. No explanation needed.

2. '96: Jacque Vaughn's game-winner hits the side of the backboard as Iowa State shocks the Hawks.

3. '90: Colorado, the eight-seed, makes a miracle run to the Finals only to be turned back by OU in a thrilling championship game.

Anybody have any others?

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2006, 10:17 AM
I think it was the '86 tournament against Kansas where an unknown freshman name Stacey King had that last second 80 foot football pass swish that didn't count although it was very borderline. It would have won the game if I remember correctly.

CtheB
3/7/2006, 10:21 AM
I was only 11, but the 1979 team that beat a great KSU team with Mike Evans (RO Blackman, Ed Nealy?) for the conf title seemed like a dream at the time.

Talk about overachievers....the 1979 team.

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2006, 10:26 AM
I was only 11, but the 1979 team that beat a great KSU team with Mike Evans (RO Blackman, Ed Nealy?) for the conf title seemed like a dream at the time.

Talk about overachievers....the 1979 team.

I don't remember that season at all, but a quick look at SoonerStats shows that OU beat KSU 4 times that season. Must have matched up pretty well with them I guess.

TopDawg
3/7/2006, 11:51 AM
2. '02: Jabahri Brown's flying condor steal leads to a crucial Sooner basket and paves the way for a win over #1 KU.

I was at that tourney. That was an awesome trip. It was during my trash-talking days and I sat on the aisle with our opponent's fans on the other side of the aisle for every game. Fond memories.

The added bonus was that we showed up early and got to see Texas Tech knock the Pokes out.

NormanPride
3/7/2006, 12:32 PM
Selvy... man, there was a guy I wished had actually worked hard. He was the type to half-*** it all game until about 2 minutes left when we were down by 8, and then turn it on to pull us back in it.

TopDawg
3/7/2006, 12:41 PM
One of my favorite sites during Selvy's time was seeing him and someone else suddenly jump up in a half-court trap. It seemed like there was a stretch were we could count on 8-10 points off of turnovers in a game, just off of that trap. That might've been the strongest part of his game.

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2006, 12:56 PM
Selvy is my favorite Sampson era player, other than Najera that is.

CtheB
3/7/2006, 12:59 PM
I don't remember that season at all, but a quick look at SoonerStats shows that OU beat KSU 4 times that season. Must have matched up pretty well with them I guess.

You're right, Harry. Maybe it was the fact it was the Sooners first Big 8 title in a while. Also notice them throttling Texas as a #1 seed before falling to Bird's Boys.

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2006, 01:09 PM
You're right, Harry. Maybe it was the fact it was the Sooners first Big 8 title in a while. Also notice them throttling Texas as a #1 seed before falling to Bird's Boys.

Texas wasn't the #1 seed, that numeral 1 is just a footnote to show that those games were in the NCAA tournament. In '79 there were 40 teams in the tournament and I'm guessing Indiana State was probably a #1 seed. That would have made the OU-UT game like a 8/9 matchup is today, whatever it would be with 40 teams.

http://www.soonerstats.com/bb/seasons/schedule.cfm?SeasonID=1979

CtheB
3/7/2006, 01:31 PM
Gotcha.

Harry Beanbag---my trusty researcher. I should get him an office next to Sal Taucer----our AD.

Pricetag
3/7/2006, 01:43 PM
NOT PRESENT, BUT AWESOME: OU
1. '90: Skeeter Henry unleashes the six-shooters and Roy Williams throws a hissy fit as OU obliterates KU in the semifinals.
NOT PRESENT, BUT REMEMBERED:
3. '90: Colorado, the eight-seed, makes a miracle run to the Finals only to be turned back by OU in a thrilling championship game.

I didn't get to see the KU game live, but it was shown on replay later on in the night. I was watching it, and flipped to the news to get the highlights. It was fun watching the rest of the game, since I knew the Sooners would win, and the six guns to Roy was icing on the cake.

If I remember correctly, the Colorado coach had already been fired, and he brought only one shirt because he expected the team to be out after the first round, and he ended up wearing the shirt the whole weekend. Colorado had a really good center who carried them. Wasn't his name Shaun King or something like that? I remember we ended the game with an alley-oop slam. We assumed the No. 1 ranking in the final poll of the regular season.

That team was fun to watch. It was a crying shame the way it completely unraveled in the off season.

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2006, 02:20 PM
Gotcha.

Harry Beanbag---my trusty researcher. I should get him an office next to Sal Taucer----our AD.

How much does it pay? I'm looking... :)

King Crimson
3/7/2006, 02:25 PM
I didn't get to see the KU game live, but it was shown on replay later on in the night. I was watching it, and flipped to the news to get the highlights. It was fun watching the rest of the game, since I knew the Sooners would win, and the six guns to Roy was icing on the cake.

If I remember correctly, the Colorado coach had already been fired, and he brought only one shirt because he expected the team to be out after the first round, and he ended up wearing the shirt the whole weekend. Colorado had a really good center who carried them. Wasn't his name Shaun King or something like that? I remember we ended the game with an alley-oop slam. We assumed the No. 1 ranking in the final poll of the regular season.

That team was fun to watch. It was a crying shame the way it completely unraveled in the off season.

Tom Miller had just been fired. Shaun Vandiver was the CU player. i watched that game in Pacific Palisades, CA.....little prepared was i for the pain of the subsequent weekend.

King Crimson
3/7/2006, 02:43 PM
here's another one: Waymon beating the floor with his fist after another home court W for KU at Kemper in 83, maybe 84.

minor league pain compared to what was coming 4 years down the road.

Sooner04
3/7/2006, 04:11 PM
here's another one: Waymon beating the floor with his fist after another home court W for KU at Kemper in 83, maybe 84.
It was '84, and it was high drama considering we'd cut down the nets in Allen Fieldhouse only a week or so beforehand. The Beaks were out for blood.

Timmy Mac missed a jumper from the top of the key that would've given us the win.

AustinTXHorn
3/7/2006, 04:35 PM
Wish I was there for Pervis Pasco. That was the day before I got there.

http://www.kusports.com/art/apps/pennynews/1047630204_KSUCOLORADO.jpg
numba one! http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/smilies/SG.gif

Sooner04
3/7/2006, 04:39 PM
Ah, great picture! The only thing lacking from that whole fiasco was Pervis high-stepping up the tunnel.

Heck, look at the K-State fan in the background. Even he is signaling touchdown.

Spray
3/7/2006, 04:51 PM
I think it was the '86 tournament against Kansas where an unknown freshman name Stacey King had that last second 80 foot football pass swish that didn't count although it was very borderline. It would have won the game if I remember correctly.

I thought that was a first round game (possibly against CU) and the basket did count. It happened right before halftime.

Man, getting older sucks- I used to have a mind like a steel trap when it came to OU trivia.

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2006, 06:02 PM
I thought that was a first round game (possibly against CU) and the basket did count. It happened right before halftime.

Man, getting older sucks- I used to have a mind like a steel trap when it came to OU trivia.

I'm pretty positive it was against KU, semifinals I believe. I'm getting old too though...

Sooner24
3/7/2006, 06:16 PM

It wasn't at the end of the game but at the end of the half. The shot was made prior to the horn sounding and today would have been reviewed and been declared good. I was at the end he threw it from and it was all net.

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2006, 06:20 PM
It wasn't at the end of the game but at the end of the half. The shot was made prior to the horn sounding and today would have been reviewed and been declared good. I was at the end he threw it from and it was all net.

I do believe you are correct. I remember being ****ed and blaming it on the KU/Kemper connection, little did I know what was coming along in a couple of years. :mad:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/7/2006, 06:23 PM
Tom Miller had just been fired. Shaun Vandiver was the CU player. i watched that game in Pacific Palisades, CA.....little prepared was i for the pain of the subsequent weekend.

don't forget vandiver getting T'd up because skeeter put the ball in his face. i kinda miss the days when our guys had basketball IQs about 100 points higher than their classroom ones...

Sooner24
3/7/2006, 06:37 PM

That was a fun tournament. The MU/CU game was the last game of the first session and we didn't expect it to be much of a game. We had already decided to leave at half-time and go get something to eat before coming back for the evening session. We sat next to some Jayhawk fans for the game on the back row of the lower level right in front of a suite with a drunk Tiger fan inside. At half-time the score was tied or there was just a couple of points difference so we decided to stay for the second half until MU started to make a runaway of it. Needless to say that never happened. All during the game all of us, Jayhawk fans included, were giving the Tiger fan fits. As the second half wound down he was getting drunker and drunker and madder and madder. Finally he started throwing stuff through the opening at the top of the Plexiglas at us and then started trying to climb over and crawl though it to get to all of us. The police showed up and finally put the guy in handcuffs and took him off. That might have been the most fun I ever had at a non OU game in the Big 8 tournament. It was the only time an eight seed beat a one seed in Big 8 tournament history.

I have to go but I have a few more things about that tournament that I will tell later.

Sooner24
3/8/2006, 06:30 PM
The next day, after Colorado beat Missouri, the KC Star ran a story about the CU cheerleaders having to go shopping for clothes. Seems they had not planned on being there Saturday and didn't have a change of clothes or any toiletries. Also CU didn't even bother to bring their band on Friday so the next day, they flew the band in for the semi's and finals. What wasn't funny was the fact they played us way to close and made a game of it. What was even less funny was the hosing we got the next weekend at Austin in the North Carolina game.

Sooner24
3/8/2006, 06:43 PM
One more funny story from the 1990 Big 8 tournament. That Sunday night we are at the airport, waiting to get out of KC, when Barry Switzer goes through the metal detector and sets it off. He steps back through, empties his pockets, walks back through and sets it off again. This time he takes off his belt and places his billfold in the basket and still sets it off. Finally another security guy comes over to see what is going on, as people are backing up, trying to get in the terminal. The lady explains that he had nothing left to take off that might be setting the detector off. The other guy tells Switzer to take off his shoes and try it again. Sure enough he goes through this time and everything is good. The second guard placed his shoes on the x-ray machine and you could see the metal in the soles of his shoes. Everyone had a big laugh except the lady at the metal detector and she didn't even know who Switzer was.

We also rode home with the #1 team in the country on that flight and I even got to hold the Big 8 Championship Trophy. :)

picasso
3/8/2006, 08:11 PM
Timmy Mac missed a jumper from the top of the key that would've given us the win.
that's T Mac.;)

what year was it when Mizzou went undefeated? seems like it was circa '94. they had a great squad with no big stars.

I have fond memories of driving home on Friday for spring break and listening to whomever was playing at the time in Kemper.

nice thread 04.

1991SOONER
3/8/2006, 10:34 PM
Does anyone remember that game during the big 8 tournament back in the late 80's where that freshman threw up that 3 pointer at the very last second (and made it!!) to beat Iowa State? That was the most amazing ending I had ever seen.

What was that guys name?

Sooner24
3/8/2006, 10:47 PM
Does anyone remember that game during the big 8 tournament back in the late 80's where that freshman threw up that 3 pointer at the very last second (and made it!!) to beat Iowa State? That was the most amazing ending I had ever seen.

What was that guys name?

I think that was the 89 tournament. Considering I have oldtimers I want to say it was Kermit Holmes that hit the shot but it might not have been.

1991SOONER
3/8/2006, 11:06 PM
I think that was the 89 tournament. Considering I have oldtimers I want to say it was Kermit Holmes that hit the shot but it might not have been.

That sounds right. That was an amazing shot!!!

Sooner24
3/8/2006, 11:15 PM
Thinking some more about I want to say it was Skeeter Henry and not Holmes that made that shot.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/9/2006, 12:07 AM
that's T Mac.;)

what year was it when Mizzou went undefeated? seems like it was circa '94. they had a great squad with no big stars.
Yeah, it was '94. That Missouri team got whipsawed by Arkansas early in the season, the same Razorback team that went on to win the national title.
I think it was that same year when Big Country Reeves hit the halfcourt shot to force overtime and then OSU beat Mizzou at GIA, so Mizzou couldn't have been undefeated in the Big 8 then. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I do know that Mizzou went on to the great eight, which was a pretty good year for them, considering all the choke jobs they had in the early rounds of the NCAAs over the years.

Sooner24
3/9/2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah, it was '94. That Missouri team got whipsawed by Arkansas early in the season, the same Razorback team that went on to win the national title.
I think it was that same year when Big Country Reeves hit the halfcourt shot to force overtime and then OSU beat Mizzou at GIA, so Mizzou couldn't have been undefeated in the Big 8 then. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I do know that Mizzou went on to the great eight, which was a pretty good year for them, considering all the choke jobs they had in the early rounds of the NCAAs over the years.

They would have made it to the Final Four in 95 if they hadn't let UCLA go coast-to-coast at the buzzer.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/9/2006, 12:28 AM
They would have made it to the Final Four in 95 if they hadn't let UCLA go coast-to-coast at the buzzer.
Nah, I thought they were a little too inconsistent that year. They would have gotten beat in either the Sweet 16 or Elite 8.
In that same region, you had a pretty good UConn team, the team that UCLA eventually beat in the regional finals.

Pricetag
3/9/2006, 10:28 AM
Thinking some more about I want to say it was Skeeter Henry and not Holmes that made that shot.
I don't think it was either of those guys. Wasn't the guy's name Tyrone Jones?

OUmillenium
3/9/2006, 11:21 AM

Saturday Semifinal game v. KU. Stacey King was a sophomore at the time. Upon review the shot should have counted. My 2nd favorite Sooner team of all time was this 86-87 bunch, very nostalgic. T-Mac, Choo, King, Grant, DJ, Sieger, Grace, Chuck Watson, Tony Martin redshirted, Terrence Mullins redshirted, Conley Phipps left during 1st semester, Ron Roberts checked out sometime during the year.

Should have beat IOWA and reached elite 8 game v. UNLV. OU lost a 20 point lead in 2nd half. Hate to bring that up cuz I always bash Kelvin for losin leads and the Kelvin droughts.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 12:03 PM

you are thinking of the year before when mizzou went like 1-13 in the big 8 and then suddenly figured it out very late in the season. pokey state hit that shot, then they beat kansas and then ran through the big 8 tourney to go to the NCAAs. i do believe that was the year they kicked us out of the NCAA tourney even though we had an RPI of 34 and were in the top 25. the next year they went clean through the regular season and big 8 tourney and then got beat by tius edney. hollis was the 2nd coming of melvin booker - ice in his veins...

picasso
3/9/2006, 12:26 PM
I'm quite certain there was a Mizzou team in the 90's that went undefeated in league play.

and Phipps always said he could have helped us in '88 in the finals against KU. noting Seiger was the only one knocking down 3's against that zone.:)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 01:55 PM
that was in 94. 93 was when they went 0fer and then won the big 8 tourney kicking us out.

Taxman71
3/9/2006, 02:10 PM

March 8, 1986 and definitely at the end of the first half. OU lost to KU in the 2nd round of the Big 8 tourney by 2.

Taxman71
3/9/2006, 02:13 PM
Ron Roberts checked out sometime during the year.

Ron Roberts was supposed to be the next Tisdale, DeAngelo Hamilton was supposed to be the next Jordan and Calvin Curry was supposed to be a 90s version of JJ Reddick. That is when I realized people on the radio know absolutely nothing about sports.

King Crimson
3/9/2006, 02:14 PM
94-95 is correct about Mizzou's undefeated conference year. i remember watching that tournament at a mexican joint i used to frequent on my days off for afternoon margs.

according to Jerry Palm our rpi in the low 30's in 93 is the lowest to never make the Tournament.

Taxman71
3/9/2006, 02:17 PM
My 2nd favorite Sooner team of all time was this 86-87 bunch, very nostalgic. T-Mac, Choo, King, Grant, DJ, Sieger, Grace, Chuck Watson, Tony Martin redshirted, Terrence Mullins redshirted, Conley Phipps left during 1st semester, Ron Roberts checked out sometime during the year.

Wasn't the year Choo wore his "Jason" mask? I will never forget the blown dunk at home against Kansas and knowing we had been swept.

Ironically, I paid $40 for a nosebleed ticket to that game in 1986. 20 years later I can't give away my extra seats in the lower level.

MikeInNorman
3/9/2006, 02:47 PM
DeAngelo Hamilton was supposed to be the next Jordan

Ahh, yes, Angelo Hamilton. Al Eschbach engaged in a year-long radio love fest with the whole idea of "Angelo Hamilton".

When we got to see Angelo, it was all true!.......nearly. Angelo was a big guard who could handle like a point, jump like a rabbit, shoot like a marksman, and run like a deer. The problem was not that he possessed all of these excellent skills; it's that the skills had no relationship to each other. That undefinable talent that molds great parts into an even better whole was entirely missing with Angelo. I would bet that in every measurable basketball skill, Angelo was the best, or second best, on the team. But he was one of the worst basketball players on the team.

Go figure.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 03:42 PM
the guy was the greatest pickup player EVAR. he would always be down at huffman with us playing. i argued with him for 3 months over his feet together pointed 45 degrees to the right free throw stance. never did listen to me...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 03:45 PM
and for the record

#2 was brent price
#3 was kenyon rasheed

honorable mention to aubrey beavers. the guy could flex and knock you off those undersized rubberized courts.

picasso
3/9/2006, 03:55 PM
and for the record

#2 was brent price
#3 was kenyon rasheed

honorable mention to aubrey beavers. the guy could flex and knock you off those undersized rubberized courts.
were you there when Harvey Grant brought his twin in? I played ball with some guys at NSU who transferred from OU. They said Horace played a lot of pickup ball with his brother.
btw- I hooped with Mike Harris a time or two there in Tahlequah. Nice guy.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2006, 04:07 PM
horace was there once or twice with harvey but they tended to play with the regular players (horace wanted to guard webster).

one guy you would have never wanted to play horse with was webster. he was always gabbing with someone while taking his warm up shots (most of the time his sister). he would never look at the rim and would just stand there from 12 feet away and shoot jumpers. it would hit the same spot on the back of the iron and come right back to him. he'd take a step to the left or right and just continue shooting and talking. i was mesmerized by the amount of work he put into his shot to allow him to be that lazy.

TopDawg
3/9/2006, 04:35 PM
Heh. It takes a lot of hard work to be this lazy.

OUstud
3/9/2006, 05:16 PM
I wish I was older so I remembered a lot of this stuff...sounds good.

And when we look back at Jim Woolridge's career, the defining moment was Pervis Pasco. Remember, that was on ESPN2, like the first time they had televised a non-championship game that I could remember. I can recall sitting up in bed yelling "Holy ****!"

Taxman71
3/9/2006, 05:41 PM
The old Big 8 tournaments were awesome as opposed to the Thursday round of the Big 12 which hella-sucks most years. Plus, you were playing every team for the 3rd time which meant every game was either the rubber match or trying for the sweep. Either way, most games were close and very intense.

TopDawg
3/9/2006, 09:18 PM
I remember when Courtney Paris set the Women's Big XII tournament scoring record in her first ever Big XII tournament game.

Sooner04
3/10/2006, 09:40 AM
Before I go to Dallas, let me just say that Missouri went undefeated in '93-94.

Missouri came to Norman and we were beating them pretty well, but they stopped the game to acknowledge Jeff Webster's 2000th point. Mizzou got ****ed and absolutely drummed us afterwards, winning the game 104-94 or something like that.

That team was REALLY good, but they got hammered in the Elite 8.

Harry Beanbag
3/10/2006, 09:44 AM
That was Tubbs' implosion year. That game began a 3-8 stretch to finish the season and his career at OU. Sad to watch.

suncoastsooner7
3/10/2006, 10:28 AM

Bordeline my butt. The ball was approaching mid court when the buzzer sounded. :mad: