PDA

View Full Version : Who has more basketball tradition and ability?

oumartin
3/6/2006, 04:08 PM
OU or Ohio State?

Sooner04
3/6/2006, 04:11 PM
Ohio State.

oumartin
3/6/2006, 04:17 PM
how about since 1980? over the bast almost 30 years. They dont' have the number of tournament appearances nor deep runs as OU do they?

Sooner04
3/6/2006, 04:23 PM
I don't know.

They had the Final Four in '99 with Scoonie Penn and Michael Redd. They lost to the Fab 5 in the '92 Elite 8.

Their arena and tradition trumps the hell out of ours. They've got one hell of a recruiting class coming in.

That's about all I can remember.

oumartin
3/6/2006, 04:29 PM
yeah, thats what i was getting at. Ohio is alot bigger and a bigger pool of talent.
I didnt' know they had a great arena.
Seemed to me always they were on about equal ground.
Thanks.

SoonerStormchaser
3/6/2006, 04:54 PM
Sadly...Ohio State...the ****tiest university east of the Mississippi!

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2006, 05:01 PM
Hm, Ohio State has a couple of national championships. They had a guy by the name of Havlicek you may have heard of.

They're also smack-dab in the middle of a state with THREE major cities and last time I checked had the largest undergrad enrollment of any brick-and-mortar university.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/6/2006, 05:16 PM
I don't know.

They had the Final Four in '99 with Scoonie Penn and Michael Redd. They lost to the Fab 5 in the '92 Elite 8.

Their arena and tradition trumps the hell out of ours. They've got one hell of a recruiting class coming in.

That's about all I can remember.

Arena? Probably does though I don't lose too much sleep over it.
The fact that the state has 3-4 times as many people as Oklahoma and that Cincinnati, Ohio U, and Miami, OH combined don't have the financial resources of Ohio St doesn't hurt. Cincy at times has been as good or better in hoops but that is it.

Tradition? I wouldn't say it trumps the hell out of OU's. I'd have to give Ohio St an overall edge because they do have an NCAA tourney crown in 1960 and they have 9 final four apperances, most of them 40+ years ago though. Overall Ohio St, last 30 years OU, next 5 years with their recruiting class and team on campus Ohio St.

OU is one of the top 2-3 programs of "football schools". We pretty much have everything except an NCAA tourney championship. We are where Syracuse and Maryland were up until a few years ago. Not as many NBA players as those schools but as much overall success.

oumartin
3/6/2006, 05:25 PM
Seems they go through Coaches pretty fast too but I think Thad Matta is gonna stick.
I'm not trying to be negative but that guy seems to have been a great hire and its gonna suck to see them improve like it looks like they are already doing.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/6/2006, 05:32 PM
Seems they go through Coaches pretty fast too but I think Thad Matta is gonna stick.
I'm not trying to be negative but that guy seems to have been a great hire and its gonna suck to see them improve like it looks like they are already doing.

With Oden and their other recuits I think they will probably be the #1 team in the country the next couple years depending on how early Oden leaves.

Unless Ohio St joins the Big 12 or we meet them in the NCAA tourney I'm not that concerned. The collective sports media can stop polishing their codpiece while they chant Leinert in the football season and Reddick in hoops season.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2006, 05:44 PM
Ohio State was on the right track even before the Matta hiring, they just ran afoul of the NCAA.

MojoRisen
3/6/2006, 07:26 PM
Arena? Probably does though I don't lose too much sleep over it.
The fact that the state has 3-4 times as many people as Oklahoma and that Cincinnati, Ohio U, and Miami, OH combined don't have the financial resources of Ohio St doesn't hurt. Cincy at times has been as good or better in hoops but that is it.

Tradition? I wouldn't say it trumps the hell out of OU's. I'd have to give Ohio St an overall edge because they do have an NCAA tourney crown in 1960 and they have 9 final four apperances, most of them 40+ years ago though. Overall Ohio St, last 30 years OU, next 5 years with their recruiting class and team on campus Ohio St.

OU is one of the top 2-3 programs of "football schools". We pretty much have everything except an NCAA tourney championship. We are where Syracuse and Maryland were up until a few years ago. Not as many NBA players as those schools but as much overall success.

Cincinatti and Xavier were both better than OHio ST over the last 10 years and as well Miami of Ohio and Dayton were both better- tOSU has sucked over the last 10 years and had a couple of good teams in the last 20.

OU has faired way better than t OSU in the last 25 years.

oumartin
3/6/2006, 07:28 PM
Well, my point was going to be that Ohio State went and got Matta and now look at em. But Froz was right. they were pretty decent before him some

MojoRisen
3/6/2006, 07:31 PM
I think he has made all the difference for them, They really haven't been contender's since Michael Redd that I can remember.

Decent maybe

MojoRisen
3/6/2006, 08:11 PM
Here is a qoute- lot's of buckeye fans were saying they couldn't recruit big time players because they are a football school.

Just a few years ago, most of us would have never thought we could attract two of the top five players nationally to OSU for a visit. Times have changed and Thad Matta's approach to recruiting is the key. He simply out works other coaches.

Matta has completely changed the perception of OSU basketball during a time when as a program we are facing possible NCAA sancations and just finished a season on a self imposed one year ban from the post season! The scoop is that Matta has made tremendous strides with some of the top prospects in the 2006, 07 and 08 classes, this is key considering the next three years, the talent level out of Ohio is deep.

Sooner04
3/7/2006, 09:48 AM
Cincinatti and Xavier were both better than OHio ST over the last 10 years and as well Miami of Ohio and Dayton were both better- tOSU has sucked over the last 10 years and had a couple of good teams in the last 20.
That's just incorrect. None of those teams, other than Ohio State, have a Final Four appearance in the last ten years.

Cincinnati, sure, they've had a better decade than Ohio State, but not the other teams.

And Ohio State's arena is awesome. Unless you've seen it, you can't imagine how much nicer it is than the LNC.

PDXsooner
3/7/2006, 11:46 AM
04- the schottemheimer center? yeah, it's nice and new and all. but their old St. John's Arena was awesome.

they had a squad with havlicek, jerry lucas, and bobby knight as a reserve that some may have heard of...

MojoRisen
3/7/2006, 11:59 AM
That's just incorrect. None of those teams, other than Ohio State, have a Final Four appearance in the last ten years.

Cincinnati, sure, they've had a better decade than Ohio State, but not the other teams.

And Ohio State's arena is awesome. Unless you've seen it, you can't imagine how much nicer it is than the LNC.

Xavier- under Thad Matta and the Wake Forest Coach were better than tOSU
Overall!

MojoRisen
3/7/2006, 12:02 PM

UC's Basketball court is Nice, Xaviers is brand new! OU has a ton of money- why don't we build a new arena?

Tulsa did after they went to the sweet 16 a couple of times... Is Tulsa's arena better than the Loyd Noble?

As well if the hornets leave- why can't OU take over the Ford Center?

CobraKai
3/7/2006, 12:13 PM
Tulsa did after they went to the sweet 16 a couple of times... Is Tulsa's arena better than the Loyd Noble?

It's newer, but certainly not nicer. For starters it is quite a bit smaller.

Sooner04
3/7/2006, 04:13 PM
04- the schottemheimer center? yeah, it's nice and new and all. but their old St. John's Arena was awesome.
Without a doubt one of the coolest old BBall barns in the world.

It's a shame they had to move. That place would shake for the big games.

oumartin
3/7/2006, 04:32 PM
But Ohio State is a football school. surely they cannot sell out home basketball games

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/7/2006, 04:51 PM
It doesn't hurt that the University is in one of the 10 biggest cities in the US and is nearly twice the size of OKC but yeah, I don't get why LNC doesn't sell out more.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/7/2006, 05:24 PM
I did some brainstorming on where we fit in tradition wise and I figure that OU is about 20-25 all time as a program depending on your criteria. Certainly NCAA tourney titles carry the most weight and I weighted it a little more toward recent history. I basically broke it into tiers.

1. The Elite (where we are in football) programs: Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, Kansas No brainers...UConn might be a title away from crashing this club

2. 2nd tier, programs with rich history and at least one championship

UConn, Louisville, Cincinatti, Arkansas,Ohio St, Syracuse, Arizona, Michigan St, Utah, Michigan (Aggie fan can make a case for OSU although it has been 60 years since they had a title so they slip a level)

Pretty much those top 2 levels (16 teams) I don't think even the Pimpbot 5000S nuclear powered deluxe Sunshine Pumper could put us in that class so then where I think the debate really starts is from here.

3. 3rd tier programs, still better than most....Illinois, St Johns, NC ST, Georgetown, Maryland, Villanova, OSU, OU, Temple, Princeton, UNLV, Marquette, Texas

I have to objectively place Aggie ahead of OU because of the two titles but only because of them. There are some programs like KSU that was a top program until 20 years ago but has fallen off the map and MU who was a top 30-35 program but is slipping steadily.

Among "football schools" then I would say rankings go

1. Ohio St
2. Arkansas (although football school might be a stretch)
3. Michigan
4. OU
5. Texas

oumartin
3/7/2006, 05:27 PM
but i wanna be #1

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/7/2006, 05:50 PM
but i wanna be #1

We could, but we might have to win the next 7-8 NCAA titles to get there. I'll settle for 1 in the next 7-8 years though.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2006, 06:01 PM
Villanova has an NCAA title, I believe.

oumartin
3/7/2006, 06:02 PM
rolly massimino back in like 85,86 or 87 froz.

NickZeppelin
3/7/2006, 06:02 PM
The only advantate Ohio State has is recruiting. Oklahoma has good HS basketball talent but Ohio State is probably a little better. Oklahoma does have Texas pretty close who has great recruits though. I think both Ohio State and OU are the same though.

oumartin
3/7/2006, 06:03 PM
well well well, if it isn't harry potter

;)

Sooner24
3/7/2006, 06:10 PM

they had a squad with havlicek, jerry lucas, and bobby knight as a reserve that some may have heard of...

I went to the Ohio State/Iowa game at St. Johns in 1985. I would rank it way behind GI or Allen FH.

Frozen Sooner
3/7/2006, 08:04 PM
rolly massimino back in like 85,86 or 87 froz.

Yeah, that's what I thought-I remember them winning one in the 80s.

Again, I'd like to point out some recruiting advantages some of these schools have:

Villanova is the program that's come out on top of the Big 6-they're the dominant team in Philadelphia, which produces all kinds of crazy good players.

Ohio State is in Columbus and is THE University in a state with three major cities. They do have to compete against Cincinnatti for recruits, but Matta hit the jackpot when Huggins got canned.

Cincinnatti had arguably the second or third best player ever to play the game play there. As with tOSU, they're in a state with three large cities. They're also across the river from Kentucky, a state with a big basketball tradition.

Now, I don't think there's anything that says we can't be a perennial basketball power, and it's worth mentioning that OU's consecutive postseason streak is much longer than any of those three schools. But it's silly to think that those schools don't get some recruits simply because of location.

The Ensuing Kickoff
3/7/2006, 09:38 PM
Based on national title success and the newness of their incredi-dome arena, I'll got with Ohio State on this one. However, the fans at OU are better basketball fans.

My wife's a Buckeye. My father-in-law is a Buckeye. I follow the Bucks. This is how I know.

I'm picking the Buckeyes, by the way, as a lock to make the final four. Recent history proves that you putting the Big Ten outright champ (if any) in the final four in your bracket is wise. Personally, I am bored silly by the Big Ten (I went to a Big Ten school for law school, yet another basis for judgment) but their bball teams do well in the post season.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/8/2006, 09:36 AM
Villanova has an NCAA title, I believe.

Definitely, the "perfect game" against Georgetown, Maryland and NC State have titles. Largely for those reasons I have them ahead of OU though I don't think any of those programs are at the level of the teams I had listed at the 2nd tier.

Marquette and UNLV have titles as do some programs like San Francisco but I rated them lower than OU overall because they haven't done as much overall.

MojoRisen
3/8/2006, 11:24 AM
How come Pitino is able to get kids out of NYC- let's face it- in basketball it only takes 2-3 good recruits a year- to be solid. To play for a title- you need to reload every year and get the talent that is with out a doubt going to go to the next level and manage it... If you think you can do it another way I would like to hear how?

Of the last 5 NC how many kids got a shot at the NBA?

PDXsooner
3/8/2006, 02:10 PM
Without a doubt one of the coolest old BBall barns in the world.

It's a shame they had to move. That place would shake for the big games.

i had the fortunate opportunity to play there in '92 against OSU, they had funderburke, greg simpson, and a pretty good freshman class. this was the team that went to the final 8 the year before...