PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone on the board who maintains a cowherd and/or feeds out cattle

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 03:21 PM
Are ethanol co-products such as distiller's grains widely available for use in your area, and if so do you use them? If you don't use them and they are available, is there a particular reason you don't use them?

JohnnyMack
3/6/2006, 03:41 PM
:dean:-nip

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 03:43 PM
I don't use em'. I wouldn't use em'. Ever.

Why? Cause I ****ing hate corn and people who grow the ****. Like my democrat Iowegian inlaws.

They're always on my *** when I bitch about buying gas up there with ethanol in it. I mean they're downright crappy about it and get all offensive. I go "that **** is worthless and is gonna ruin my engine." They're all "why do you hate corn?"

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 03:47 PM
I don't use em'. I wouldn't use em'. Ever.

Why? Cause I ****ing hate corn and people who grow the ****. Like my democrat Iowegian inlaws.

They're always on my *** when I bitch about buying gas up there with ethanol in it. I mean they're downright crappy about it and get all offensive. I go "that **** is worthless and is gonna ruin my engine." They're all "why do you hate corn?"
What about distillers grains from Milo? And distiller's grains are really only useful as drought hedge for a cowherd. Also ethanol hasn't ruined very many engines in Nebraska. Your main problem is you have to deal with people from Iowa.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 03:54 PM
What about distillers grains from Milo? And distiller's grains are really only useful as drought hedge for a cowherd. Also ethanol hasn't ruined very many engines in Nebraska. Your main problem is you have to deal with people from Iowa.

True on the Iowa thing.

In all honesty, I go to the feedstore and buy 3-tons of 20% pasture cubes at a time, some cottonseed meal (maybe 6-8 sacks) minerals, salt blocks, and that's pretty much it. We pasture on bermuda/fescue/native grass, and I feed them sprayed/fertilized bermuda grass hay through the winter. When the garden runs out, we turn them out and let them graze it to the ground. I give them pears, apples, etc. from the trees. That's pretty much it.

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 03:59 PM
True on the Iowa thing.

In all honesty, I go to the feedstore and buy 3-tons of 20% pasture cubes at a time, some cottonseed meal (maybe 6-8 sacks) minerals, salt blocks, and that's pretty much it. We pasture on bermuda/fescue/native grass, and I feed them sprayed/fertilized bermuda grass hay through the winter. When the garden runs out, we turn them out and let them graze it to the ground. I give them pears, apples, etc. from the trees. That's pretty much it.
Yeah, if your not feeding fat cattle distiller's grains are of very limited utility, and the longer grazing season in Oklahoma reduces that some, when compared to the conditions in the Upper-Midwest for cattle.