PDA

View Full Version : Would You Work if You Didn't Have to?

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:07 PM
My Dad does and he could've retired a long time ago.
He just likes to work.
That's messed up.
Me, I could find a LOT of other things to do other than going to work.
I mean, life is short.

Any other messed up folks out there?

OUDoc
3/6/2006, 02:10 PM
At my age, I'd work some, but at a job without weekends or after-hours call.
When I get older, hell no. I'll retire as soon as I'm financially able.

Mjcpr
3/6/2006, 02:11 PM
Hell no. Even if I could find nothing else to do I could kill most days by playing golf.

sooner n houston
3/6/2006, 02:12 PM
Hell no! I would open a bait shop and work when I wanted and fish the rest of the time! :D

slickdawg
3/6/2006, 02:13 PM
No way!

Frozen Sooner
At what I do now?

Hells no.

If I was completely financially secure and didn't have to worry about money, you know what I'd do?

Two chicks at once.

handcrafted
I'd work but not at what I'm doing now. I'd do something volunteer-ish and maybe do some writing.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/6/2006, 02:15 PM
Are you serious? NO!

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:16 PM
I was watching a CBS news segment the other night:

105 year old guy owns a western wear store in Colorado.
Goes to work every day.
Very slowly.
His 77 year old son who works for him said he won't dare retire until his dad does.

crawfish
3/6/2006, 02:17 PM
I'd work at something I'm interested in, and set my own hours.

You can only relax so much before it gets boring.

IB4OU2
3/6/2006, 02:17 PM
Hell no. Even if I could find nothing else to do I could play most days by killing golf.

;)

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 02:18 PM
As a guy who's nearing retirement age, and knowing many folks who have retired, I will say this:

Don't quit working unless you've got another full-time gig lined up. Golf, fishing, travelling, etc. ain't full-time. You'll get tired of it before long. While some folks are perfectly content to sit on their *** and watch TV all day long, the vast majority of people need something to get them out of bed.

When I retire (6 years & 5 months from this very day) I will immediately be a full-time rancher. A man's gotta have/do something to be useful. All you young whippersnappers who think you'd be fine without some type of gig are full of ****.

Mjcpr
;)

If I didn't have to work, I could get good enough to break 100 consistently. :D

Howzit
I would become what I have always dreamed of - a pet psychic.

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:19 PM
I told him to travel or LEARN to fish or something.
Heck, I can play with my dogs 2 hours a day...

Mjcpr
3/6/2006, 02:19 PM
When I retire (6 years & 5 months from this very day)

I would've thought you were A LOT closer than that.

:D

Mjcpr
3/6/2006, 02:20 PM
I would become what I have always dreamed of - a pet psychic.

I've always wanted a pet psychic but I figured they'd get bored at home all day while I was at work.

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:21 PM
As a guy who's nearing retirement age, and knowing many folks who have retired, I will say this:

Don't quit working unless you've got another full-time gig lined up. Golf, fishing, travelling, etc. ain't full-time. You'll get tired of it before long. While some folks are perfectly content to sit on their *** and watch TV all day long, the vast majority of people need something to get them out of bed.

When I retire (6 years & 5 months from this very day) I will immediately be a full-time rancher. A man's gotta have/do something to be useful. All you young whippersnappers who think you'd be fine without some type of gig are full of ****.Yeah Dean, that's what he says. Besides, he says he enjoys it. That's whack man.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 02:23 PM
Yeah Dean, that's what he says. Besides, he says he enjoys it. That's whack man.

I work with a guy in his late 70's who won't retire cause his wife drives him up the wall. THAT'S whack right there. If you hate the bitch that much, divorce her.

And as you guys get older, you'll see what I mean.....

IB4OU2
3/6/2006, 02:24 PM

When I retire (6 years & 5 months from this very day) I will immediately be a full-time rancher. A man's gotta have/do something to be useful. All you young whippersnappers who think you'd be fine without some type of gig are full of ****.

That's right. The secret is having a reason to get out of bed every morning and ranching and raising cattle is a good reason. I would probably do what I do right now under contract and I would decide my own hours so I could go huntin', fishin and golfin whenever I wanted.

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:28 PM
The thing is though - he has worked his entire life -
I mean when he was a little kid he was pickin cotton instead of swimming or fishin.
I taught him how to swim when he was 64 for pity sake.
Work is all he's ever known.
What's the point?

IB4OU2
3/6/2006, 02:31 PM
The thing is though - he has worked his entire life -
I mean when he was a little kid he was pickin cotton instead of swimming or fishin.
I taught him how to swim when he was 64 for pity sake.
Work is all he's ever known.
What's the point?

I guess you missed the "Reason to get out of bed" posts...........

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:35 PM
No, but dang, go to India and ride an elephant or something.
The guy is wealthy, you know, go have fun.

FaninAma
3/6/2006, 02:36 PM
I've always thought they had the retitrement system all screwed up. You should be able to play around and sow your oats until you're about 40 then you buckle down and work your *** off until you croak.

I think some people actually think this is the way the system works.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 02:38 PM
No, but dang, go to India and ride an elephant or something.
The guy is wealthy, you know, go have fun.

I guess you missed the part where he says he "enjoys working." To him, it's fun. Riding an elephant in India is for miscreants and n'er-do-wells.

I built a new fence around my wife's garden this weekend, hung a couple gates, moved some feeders, fed the cows, and cut up a couple trees. I enjoyed my weekend immensely. Much more than if I had sat on my fat *** in front of the tube watching whatever it is y'all fat asses watch.

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:40 PM
I plan on sitting on my butt playing PC games as long as my arthritic fingers can push a mouse.

Now THAT'S fun.

Rhino
3/6/2006, 02:42 PM
I'd establish my own job, or own company, with the ability to pick it up and leave it whenever I saw fit.

If I wanted to go to India and ride an elephant, I would. If I wanted to take the day off to play golf, I would. But I'd always have that one job that would keep me going.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 02:42 PM
I plan on sitting on my butt playing PC games as long as my arthritic fingers can push a mouse.

Now THAT'S fun.

Exhibit A, your honor, on "what's ****ed up about America."

Beef
3/6/2006, 02:43 PM
Much more than if I had sat on my fat *** in front of the tube watching whatever it is y'all fat asses watch.
Why do you hate pron?

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 02:45 PM
I'd establish my own job, or own company, with the ability to pick it up and leave it whenever I saw fit.

If I wanted to go to India and ride an elephant, I would. If I wanted to take the day off to play golf, I would. But I'd always have that one job that would keep me going.

Dude, that's the cattle business. You can get into in one day, and you can get out of it in one day. Go to the sale (there's a sale 6 days of the week within driving distance of OKC) and buy a ****pot of cows today, call an auctioneer and sell the whole lot (including your equipment, land, house, barns, etc.) the next. It's great.

Hamhock
3/6/2006, 02:46 PM
I'd retire. I could do some of what I'm doing now as a ministry to help people out with their finances. I'd fill the rest of the time hunting and golfing.

I understand about needing something to get me out of bed, but I am currently amazed at my ability to wake at 4:30 to go sit in a treestand in sub-freezing temperatures and inability to get out of bed at 7:00 to go to work.

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:46 PM
Dude, that's the cattle business. You can get into in one day, and you can get out of it in one day. Go to the sale (there's a sale 6 days of the week within driving distance of OKC) and buy a ****pot of cows today, call an auctioneer and sell the whole lot (including your equipment, land, house, barns, etc.) the next. It's great.
Dad tried doing the same thing with hedge hogs.

IB4OU2
3/6/2006, 02:49 PM
I guess you missed the part where he says he "enjoys working." To him, it's fun. Riding an elephant in India is for miscreants and n'er-do-wells.

I built a new fence around my wife's garden this weekend, hung a couple gates, moved some feeders, fed the cows, and cut up a couple trees. I enjoyed my weekend immensely. Much more than if I had sat on my fat *** in front of the tube watching whatever it is y'all fat asses watch.

I hauled about 40 loads of pine straw to the back of the property and powerwarshed the porch and tilled a new garden area for the wife. I did play one round of golf but came back home and cleaned out one of my storage buildings. Loved every minute of it......

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 02:51 PM
Dang. I got some chores that would just make you crap yourself with excitement.

IB4OU2
3/6/2006, 03:05 PM
Dang. I got some chores that would just make you crap yourself with excitement.

I'll do mine and you do yours, it might make you feel better about yourself.(beats the hell out of besting your personal score on the gameboy).....;)

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 03:12 PM
(beats the hell out of besting your personal score on the gameboy).....;)
Not. I've tried it and work sux.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 03:12 PM
I'll do mine and you do yours, it might make you feel better about yourself.(beats the hell out of besting your personal score on the gameboy).....;)

Words of wisdom right there people.

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 03:15 PM
Brothers, I've worked some of the hardest laborious jobs you can have.
I do my freaking "chores" and I promise you, nothing about it is satisfying, gratifying, or pleasure defying.

I'd rather not when given the choice.

TUSooner
3/6/2006, 03:17 PM

I was gonna say "Define 'work."" But I think Dean's got it covered. Stop working and start doing "nothing" and you'll prob'ly be dead in 6 months, or at least feel like it.
We've got a staff attorney here who interviewd for his job on the day Kennedy was assassinated. He's probably about 79 or 80 (he won't say). He's slow, but he still gets the job done.

yermom
3/6/2006, 03:24 PM

yeah, that sounds about right...

**** that cow thing though ;)

i think Dean is a closet Aggie

soonernation
3/6/2006, 03:25 PM
I'd probably start my own business. Something along the lines of male prostitution. I'd get paid to make hot monkey love!!!!:D

Ahh hell!!!! Who am I kidding? I'd give the booty away and then go hit the golf course.:eek:

Oldnslo
3/6/2006, 03:26 PM
I was gonna say "Define 'work."" But I think Dean's got it covered. Stop working and start doing "nothing" and you'll prob'ly be dead in 6 months, or at least feel like it.
We've got a staff attorney here who interviewd for his job on the day Kennedy was assassinated. He's probably about 79 or 80 (he won't say). He's slow, but he still gets the job done.
The Paternal Unit is fixin' to retire... in about 2 months. He has stated plainly that he's looking forward to doing nothing.

No. Thing.

Dad's about 2 blocks away from St. John's. He could volunteer to counsel cancer patients (he's a cancer survivor).

Dad's about 2 blocks away from the synogogue. He could volunteer to do all manner of things there.

He says he'll do it. Someday. But right now he wants to do nothing.

With Dad, the smart money is on the "under".

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 03:27 PM
yeah, that sounds about right...

**** that cow thing though ;)

i think Dean is a closet Aggie

Careful there big boy.

And what's to like about a gig that puts you outdoors, let's you set your own hours, and pays you commensurate with the effort you put out?

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 03:28 PM
And what's to like about a gig that puts you outdoors, let's you set your own hours, and pays you commensurate with the effort you put out?Gosh, that sounds like most prostitutes. :)

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 03:30 PM
Gosh, that sounds like most prostitutes. :)

Except that I never have to swallow bull schmeg.

yermom
3/6/2006, 03:36 PM
Careful there big boy.

And what's to like about a gig that puts you outdoors, let's you set your own hours, and pays you commensurate with the effort you put out?

nothing actually.

i wouldn't want to be on the livestock side of it, raising and selling/killing them would bother me, i think

that and the castration :eek:

that's just me though, i have nothing but respect for that. honest real work

IB4OU2
3/6/2006, 03:38 PM
Except that I never have to swallow bull schmeg.

If you've got the right bull, that stuff can be worth alot of money......and you don't want to waste it.

Dio
3/6/2006, 03:39 PM
I'd retire to something I wanted to do, or at least something that if they ****ed me off, I'd have no qualms telling them to shove it.

yermom
3/6/2006, 03:39 PM
yeah, i think the key would be being the boss

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 03:40 PM
nothing actually.

i wouldn't want to be on the livestock side of it, raising and selling/killing them would bother me, i think

But I bet you don't mind eating them.

We don't castrate any more. We don't kill them. We just watch em' be born, raise em' up right, and turn em' loose (for very nice $$) when they're weaning age. We do have to do our own doctoring (shots, worming, preg-testing, pulling calfs, etc.) but it ain't that bad. When cows or bulls get too old to be productive, we give them a wonderful ride in the country up to the sale. We say our goodbyes, and life goes on.............

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 03:43 PM

We don't castrate any more. We don't kill them. We just watch em' be born, raise em' up right, and turn em' loose (for very nice $$) when they're weaning age. We do have to do our own doctoring (shots, worming, preg-testing, pulling calfs, etc.) but it ain't that bad. When cows or bulls get too old to be productive, we give them a wonderful ride in the country up to the sale. We say our goodbyes, and life goes on.............
What breed do you raise, and/or what crossbreeding program do you use?

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 03:44 PM
nothing actually.

Dehorning is way more bloody than castration though. Castration is really nothing if you use banding.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 03:48 PM
What breed do you raise, and/or what crossbreeding program do you use?

Dude, we're ****in' hillbillies.

Actually, we try and run angus/brangus momma cows and breed them to simmental/angus bulls. Black and black baldies. Of course sometimes the neighbor's limousin bull or the other neighbor's maine bull will tear down a gate and breed some limo into the herd. Down here, it really doesn't pay to spend a lot of $$ and time managing your herd's bloodlines. At the sale, our calves sell for the same - or more - than a lot of the "program" cattle.

Skysooner
3/6/2006, 03:49 PM
Nice part about my job is that there are very few younger people in it (oil & gas). That is changing, but there is going to be a ton of knowledge lost in the next few years. The median age of employees in this industry is near 50. Since I'm 10 years younger than that, I figure I'll have a great way to consult and only work a few days a week once I get older. That gives me freedom. Luckily I love what I do. Coming to work is a blast most days.

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 03:52 PM
Dude, we're ****in' hillbillies.

Actually, we try and run angus/brangus momma cows and breed them to simmental/angus bulls. Black and black baldies. Of course sometimes the neighbor's limousin bull or the other neighbor's maine bull will tear down a gate and breed some limo into the herd. Down here, it really doesn't pay to spend a lot of $$ and time managing your herd's bloodlines. At the sale, our calves sell for the same - or more - than a lot of the "program" cattle.
You should look into using a Gelbvieh Bull or Gelbvieh/Angus "Balancer" bull on your Angus cattle, and your picking up some Gelbvieh or Gelbvieh/cross cows. The Gelbvieh influnce really boosts weaning weights as well as breeding their solid maternal traits into replacement heifers. The Gelb/Angus cross is used heavily by commerical cattlemen in Nebraska.

Sooner_Bob
3/6/2006, 03:56 PM
If I was completely financially secure and didn't have to worry about money, you know what I'd do?

Two chicks at once.

Dude, that's the best laugh I've had all day . . . :mack:

JohnnyMack
3/6/2006, 03:57 PM
I think I'd travel/golf until I just couldn't take it anymore. Then I'd buy Petty's at Utica Square and run it until they put me in a home or put me on the ice floe.

Sooner_Bob
3/6/2006, 03:58 PM
I will immediately be a full-time rancher.

That's exactly what I want to do . . . or setup my own bidness.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 04:00 PM
You should look into using a Gelbvieh Bull or Gelbvieh/Angus "Balancer" bull on your Angus cattle, and your picking up some Gelbvieh or Gelbvieh/cross cows. The Gelbvieh influnce really boosts weaning weights as well as breeding their solid maternal traits into replacement heifers. The Gelb/Angus cross is used heavily by commerical cattlemen in Nebraska.

Gelbviehs are typically a little more expensive, and I really don't know about the calf birth weights using them. We've got a great bull right now who produces tiny calfs - that grow like weeds. When you're breeding out a bunch of first-calf heifers like we are, you are more concerned with ease of calving. In the past 3 years I've only had to pull 1 calf, and haven't lost a cow or calf in that time.

Sooner_Bob
3/6/2006, 04:03 PM
Down here, it really doesn't pay to spend a lot of $$ and time managing your herd's bloodlines. At the sale, our calves sell for the same - or more - than a lot of the "program" cattle.

Very true. I've tried to tell that to my father-in-law without much luck.

But I will say that the steers he feeds out and butchers every year are freakin' awesome on the grill. :D

So I guess he's doing something right.

yermom
3/6/2006, 04:05 PM
Dehorning is way more bloody than castration though. Castration is really nothing if you use banding.

blood i can handle, my boys are unhappy just thinking about an elasticator or whatever

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 04:08 PM
Gelbviehs are typically a little more expensive, and I really don't know about the calf birth weights using them. We've got a great bull right now who produces tiny calfs - that grow like weeds. When you're breeding out a bunch of first-calf heifers like we are, you are more concerned with ease of calving. In the past 3 years I've only had to pull 1 calf, and haven't lost a cow or calf in that time.
There are plenty of good calving ease Gelbvieh bulls, My Uncle and I haven't pulled a calf in over 7 years. Our birthweights are consistly around 75 lbs. Our experience has been that while we have paid more for Gelbvieh bulls, we still have gotten our money's worth. However, that is offset by our doing more seedstock breeding, and value added finishing by selling steers on the hook. However, we do spend more by always buying black because of the seedstock part of our operation. A quality red bull can be found cheaper, and if your just raising feeders that doesn't matter near as much. Also the availablility of bulls by breed is probably much different in Oklahoma than in Nebraska.

yermom
3/6/2006, 04:09 PM

nope, don't mind eating them, but i know how hypocritical that is :)

actually, i probably wouldn't eat meat if it didn't taste soo good

i wouldn't want to be there for the whole cycle though

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 04:10 PM
blood i can handle, my boys are unhappy just thinking about an elasticator or whatever

But can you handle the screaming and pain?

Seriously, when we castrated (my vet did the deed) the calf never knew it was happening. He'd cut across the back of the sack, reach in and grab the marbles, twist the cords a couple times around his finger, and yank. Sometimes he'd have to cut the cord/s. Very little, if any blood. Most calfs stood there looking stupid and seriously weren't feeling anything. The only reason we don't castrate anymore is because the calfs we sell (550-600 weights) sell for the same money whether they're castrated or not. So, why take the risk on infection, etc.?

De-horning is a whole other matter. Without a doubt it is excruciatingly painful for the animal. The calfs literally scream when you're excising the horn, blood goes everywhere, and there's nothing like the smell of a branding iron cauterizing the bleeding hole where a horn used to be. Then, you've got to turn their head to the other side, and do it again. Hate it. That's why I won't own cattle with horns anymore. De-horning is without a doubt the worst job when raising cattle.

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 04:11 PM
Very true. I've tried to tell that to my father-in-law without much luck.

But I will say that the steers he feeds out and butchers every year are freakin' awesome on the grill. :D

So I guess he's doing something right.
You get paid by the pound, and I've always found that it is worth the money to pay extra to get those extra pounds in your calves.

Harry Beanbag
3/6/2006, 04:29 PM
Seriously, when we castrated (my vet did the deed) the calf never knew it was happening. He'd cut across the back of the sack, reach in and grab the marbles, twist the cords a couple times around his finger, and yank. Sometimes he'd have to cut the cord/s.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NormanPride
3/6/2006, 04:44 PM
Holy crap, Dean. I think my boys just tried to hide in my stomach after that description. They don't even FEEL it? That's insane...

And frankly, I'm scared ****less of retirement. I'm in my second year in real work, so I'm just getting used to having money and really needing to do finances... The idea of stopping work scares me; I like being young and having a purpose. I don't want to get to the point where I'm not needed anymore. Ever.

GDC
3/6/2006, 04:54 PM
I don't have to, but idle hands do the Devil's work, especially in my case, so I stay busy.

Sooner_Bob
3/6/2006, 05:04 PM
You get paid by the pound, and I've always found that it is worth the money to pay extra to get those extra pounds in your calves.

IMO the breed can have a major influence how a calf will ultimately turn out, but some cross-bread cows will raise as good or better calf than a high dollar "show cow".

My dad raises bremmer cross cattle (brahman for you sophisticated hillbillies) and I'd say most of his calves would sell a little higher if they didn't have show so much bremmer, but he and my mom both like the way they look, so I'd imagine he'll always keep the same type of herd.

He usually rotates between angus, simmental and limousine bulls . . . the steer I showed in high school was simmental/brangus cross.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 05:10 PM
IMO the breed can have a major influence how a calf will ultimately turn out, but some cross-bread cows will raise as good or better calf than a high dollar "show cow".

My dad raises bremmer cross cattle (brahman for you sophisticated hillbillies) and I'd say most of his calves would sell a little higher if they didn't have show so much bremmer, but he and my mom both like the way they look, so I'd imagine he'll always keep the same type of herd.

He usually rotates between angus, simmental and limousine bulls . . . the steer I showed in high school was simmental/brangus cross.

True on the x-breed thing.

I've got a neighbor who raises/sells $4,500 angus bulls. He keeps trying to get me involved in high-bred, high-brow, high-dollar angus cattle. I work full-time in town, and don't have the time to coddle/babysit/insemenate/etc. spoiled cattle. When I need to sell calves, I need to sell them NOW. So, on any week except Christmas I can head down to Ada or OKC and get good money for calves I didn't spend an arm and a leg breeding/raising. It just makes good business sense.

Mjcpr
3/6/2006, 05:12 PM
I remember when brangus used to post here.

1stTimeCaller
3/6/2006, 05:13 PM
Dean, I'm guessing that you run a cow-calf operation? Do you 'rent' your bulls or do you buy them?

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 05:13 PM

Club cattle are a whole differnet ball game. I'm more on breeding performance into your cattle and culling any cows that don't perform. Crossbreed cattle can perform just as good, but you can't breed crap and get a decent crossbred. We strive to keep our calving interval as close to 365 as possible, birthweights under 80, and weaning weights near 700. If a cow can't hack that she's gone. Also we don't have Brahman cattle up here, they can't handle the weather.

royalfan5
3/6/2006, 05:16 PM
True on the x-breed thing.

I've got a neighbor who raises/sells $4,500 angus bulls. He keeps trying to get me involved in high-bred, high-brow, high-dollar angus cattle. I work full-time in town, and don't have the time to coddle/babysit/insemenate/etc. spoiled cattle. When I need to sell calves, I need to sell them NOW. So, on any week except Christmas I can head down to Ada or OKC and get good money for calves I didn't spend an arm and a leg breeding/raising. It just makes good business sense.
Angus breeding is for people with more money than brains. It's like buying John Deer equipment, your paying for the color. One great thing with Gelbvieh is that the breed promotes the hell out of disposition and hardyness, that means little babysitting.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 05:17 PM
Dean, I'm guessing that you run a cow-calf operation? Do you 'rent' your bulls or do you buy them?

Own. I don't really breed for fall/spring calfs. I keep a bull on the herd year-round. That way there's paydays throughout the year.

Although leasing them is a pretty smart proposition - money wise. You can lease a good bull for $100 a year (or any portion of a year). You do have to insure gain on the bull though.