PDA

View Full Version : So I was dining this evening at one of my favorite Mexican joints....

AllAboutThe'O'
3/6/2006, 01:39 AM
Sort of an out of the way place, in fact every time I go there the crowds are real sparse. NTTAWTT. And also, even though I hadn't gone there in at least a couple of weeks, the server automatically knew what I wanted to drink.

Anyhoo,

I'm the only one eating there at the present time and I try to signal my waiter for more chips and salsa. He and a fellow waiter were in the back of the restaurant watching a soccer game on one of the Spanish TV stations. I call to get his attention not once but twice, but he never budged. He wasn't going to miss that soccer game for anything.

Finally, he got up and was able to give me more food, but I was still pretty perturbed by the fact that he would rather watch a soccer game than do his job (and again, I was the only one eating at the time mind you). Was he scared he was going to miss a goal or something? It's very rare to score a goal in soccer you know.

Guess the moral of the story is, if you go to a Mexican restaurant and there's a soccer game on the TV, good luck trying to get service.

LoyalFan
3/6/2006, 02:32 AM
Just drop a morsel on the floor, wait three seconds, and ask one of the cockroaches to get you mo' cheeps y deep.
Been there, done that.

LF

SoonerInFla
3/6/2006, 05:36 AM
Guess the moral of the story is, if you go to a Mexican restaurant and there's a soccer game on the TV, good luck trying to get service.

The moral of the story is if you'd rather watch soccer than do your job, stay home or don't be P'od when you get a lousy tip.

Palermo10
3/6/2006, 06:34 AM
Club America, the 2nd most popular Mexican team, was playing on Galavision yesterday. Methinks that's what he was watching.

And don't try to tell me about how many goals are scored so often in soccer. You just end up showing you don't know anything.

But I hope you enjoyed your enchiladas. Next time why not try to soak in the atmosphere with him, ask him about the game, find out why he is paying so much attention to it. Call him a chilango if he's a Club America supporter. (Or Pachuca, Necaxa, Toluca, Cruz Azul)

And no, chilango is not a bad word. Just somebody from Mexico City.

The More You Know, do do do doooo

BoogercountySooner
3/6/2006, 06:47 AM
Have you ever slacked at work when the Sooners are playing? I have went to my truck and listened more than once.

Just sayin!

gh55
3/6/2006, 06:56 AM
You should have gotten the salsa yourself because you made him miss
his soccer game so you may have gotten the"special salsa".

Okla-homey
3/6/2006, 07:15 AM
Why do you hate sports fans?

handcrafted
3/6/2006, 08:04 AM
Dude, I got fired from a waitstaff job in 1987 during the Nebraska game, because I was watching the game in the bar instead of hitting my tables. 20-17 last-second-field-goal greatness was not to be missed.

At least the manager dude didn't send me home until the game was over. :D

Soccer is to Mexicans what OU football is to us. And I say this as a soccer fan. But there's no way I'll ever get to the level of hysteria that Mexicans get to when they watch their futbol.

BajaOklahoma
3/6/2006, 10:02 AM
Soccer is to Mexicans what OU football is to us. And I say this as a soccer fan. But there's no way I'll ever get to the level of hysteria that Mexicans get to when they watch their futbol.

Wait until it's your kid on the soccer field.... :D

handcrafted
3/6/2006, 10:08 AM

Somehow, I don't see myself as the type to throw rolled up coins and bags of urine at opposing 8 year olds...

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 10:26 AM

I've got a son (15) who plays Celtic soccer in Norman. He's played soccer since he was about 4. So did all the older boys. I even coached it for a couple years with the older kids.

And my deal with my current soccer-stud kid is this:

Dad will go to your football games. Dad will go to your basketball games. Dad will go to your baseball games. Dad will go to your track meets. Dad will NOT be going to your soccer games.

I haven't seen one of his soccer games in probably 3 years or more. He understands that for me to watch soccer would be like him having to listen to classical music. Soccer bores me to absolute tears. The only positive I see from his soccer playing is the fact that he's always in superior physical condition for the other sports, and he is getting some sniffs from colleges.

Seriously, my wife carries him to all the games/tournaments all over hell's creation. Tulsa, Wichita, Dallas, Albequerque, Ft. Smith, Phoenix, and everywhere else. Practice in Norman a couple times a week.

All that being said, if you're at a restaraunt alone - where you're a regular, and the waiter is into the game, go get your own chips and salsa. If he's also an *******, don't leave him a tip.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/6/2006, 10:47 AM

Hope you didn't give much of a tip. I would say that ranks on the order of a couple of percent...

Same here in Houston, the local watering hole has spanish TV on all the time, soccer apparently is the fav...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/6/2006, 10:56 AM
Soccer and hockey are fun enough to play, but both are so incredibly boring to watch. Sorry, soccerphiles.

Beef
3/6/2006, 10:56 AM
Mexican joints make me hungry...and sleepy.

handcrafted
3/6/2006, 11:47 AM
Soccer and hockey are fun enough to play, but both are so incredibly boring to watch. Sorry, soccerphiles.

You, Dean, HA, and the rest of the soccer haters can just GADOCADWI. It's the most popular sport in the world and it's finally taking off here because a group of people had the bright idea to start a league with a decent business model, and to make friends with the associations in other countries instead of flipping them the bird.

The only reason you think it's boring is because you can't be bothered to take the time to learn how it's played and what the strategy is. What's boring? The fact that there's not a goal every 10 seconds? Do you consider a football game that ends 10-3 or something like that inherently boring?

Now, of course I don't think football is boring, but I gotta say...if you're comparing the two, which is more exciting? The game where the clock, and the players, never stop no matter what happens, where one defensive mistake can cost you the whole game, and where everything about the game can change radically in an instant?

Or the game where each 7 second play is followed by a minute of standing around doing nothing?

Palermo10
3/6/2006, 12:19 PM

Understood, as I used to not watch soccer. But it certainly involves a lot more passion. My girlfriend has now gone to a few matches with me, she still doesnt like watching it on TV, fair enough. A lot of times I don't watch games on TV unless there is something at stake (which about 99.9% of you on here wouldnt know anything was at stake unless somebody told you... hence, difficult to appreciate)

handcrafted- por favor guey - the LA mexicans and their 1999 urine bag tosses was just a small incident. I've been to games in Mexico, France, Spain, England, Scotland (Old Firm, anyone), going to Germany in two weeks to watch the US play Germany,- and I am going to say that I think Argentina is maybe the most dangerous place to watch a game. I havent been but I am temporarily planning for January 2007.

Much like when the Raiders were in LA, it was just an excuse for idiots to dress up and start fights. But the US has the same kind of violence you might find at any of these... its just convienent to blame it on something you dont know anything about. :rolleyes:

In fact the majority of all deaths and violence you hear about from soccer games are from poorly built stadiums. Now Europe has some of the most advanced and secure pieces of architecture I have ever witnessed.

achiro
3/6/2006, 12:29 PM
You could have gone to El Chico's...the food might suck in comparison but you would have gotten a white waiter who could care less about soccer that still gave you crappy service.
I guess its just easier being a racist!:D

handcrafted
3/6/2006, 12:39 PM
handcrafted- por favor guey - the LA mexicans and their 1999 urine bag tosses was just a small incident.

Dude, our National team gets treated like this every time they go south of the border. Doesn't matter whether it's Mexico or a Central American country, they treat our players like crap and pelt them with who knows what during games. Have you seen all the garbage on the field after an International down there? Not to mention standing outside our team's hotel and making as much noise as possible all night, etc. and a bunch of other stuff.

Small incident, my ***. If FIFA would sack up and start penalizing national Federations who don't crack down on this stuff, maybe it'd stop. But as it is, I think most soccer honchos think that this stuff is just part of the "home field advantage" and they let it slide.

Palermo10
3/6/2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah the noise - meh, I figured that was part of the friendly banter :)

I almost went down there for the qualifier in March. Went to Hawaii instead ;)

Just yesterday Barcelona fans were spitting at the Chelsea bus because of Mourinho... and aside from Barcelona they still have a racism problem here.

BajaOklahoma
3/6/2006, 01:55 PM
We were in Barcelona a couple of years ago when when of the British teams came to town. The fans of both teams hung around our hotel and were very nice. We had to leave before the game. :(

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 01:57 PM
You, Dean, HA, and the rest of the soccer haters can just GADOCADWI. It's the most popular sport in the world and it's finally taking off here because a group of people had the bright idea to start a league with a decent business model, and to make friends with the associations in other countries instead of flipping them the bird.

The only reason you think it's boring is because you can't be bothered to take the time to learn how it's played and what the strategy is. What's boring? The fact that there's not a goal every 10 seconds? Do you consider a football game that ends 10-3 or something like that inherently boring?

Now, of course I don't think football is boring, but I gotta say...if you're comparing the two, which is more exciting? The game where the clock, and the players, never stop no matter what happens, where one defensive mistake can cost you the whole game, and where everything about the game can change radically in an instant?

Or the game where each 7 second play is followed by a minute of standing around doing nothing?

Dude, I coached the **** for several years. I'm pretty familiar with the rules, etc.

Now if we're talking peewee soccer, I'm all over it. A bunch of kids in a constant scrum - none with a clue about what they're supposed to be doing with the ball. That's pretty fun to watch. However, at the level my kid is getting to (which is nowhere near world-class, but pretty danged good) it's boring as hell. Yes, I can appreciate the physical fitness of the athletes. Yes, I can appreciate the pin-point accuracy they pass the ball with. Yes, I can appreciate the athleticism of a great goalie. No, I don't like the game.

Pass, pass, pass, steal, pass, pass, steal, fast break........steal, pass, whistle. Ad nauseum. For ****ing hours. Then, after a couple hours of this **** it ends in a 0-0 tie and they go to a shootout. Shootouts are great. Soccer would be great if they just had 10 players on each team do a shootout. Eliminate the other 2 hours of meaningless running/passing/stealing/dribbling.

Soccer fanatics must have gotten dropped on their head at childbirth.