PDA

View Full Version : Joaquin was robbed

jk the sooner fan
3/5/2006, 11:38 PM
just sayin

KaiserSooner
3/5/2006, 11:42 PM
Joaquin was good, but Hoffman's Truman Capote was markedly better than Phoenix's Johnny Cash.

jk the sooner fan
3/5/2006, 11:45 PM
Hoffman didnt have to learn to play the guitar and sing...he only had to play a gay writer......I watched a Johnny Cash anthology on PBS the other nite, and he's got more facial twitches than a turrets victim.........Phoenix had them all down pat

I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion

soonerhubs
3/5/2006, 11:48 PM
I have to agree with JK on this one. Phoenix deserved it, but I'm not one to put much value on the Oscars. There's something annoying about a bunch of Yuppies saying, "Aren't we just great?"

KaiserSooner
3/5/2006, 11:52 PM
Hoffman didnt have to learn to play the guitar and sing...he only had to play a gay writer......I watched a Johnny Cash anthology on PBS the other nite, and he's got more facial twitches than a turrets victim.........Phoenix had them all down pat

I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion

I hear ya, and vice versa.

Playing Johnny Cash may have been harder for Joaquin Phoenix to do than it was for Hoffman to portray Truman Capote. The bottom line for me is that the latter did a better job of portraying his guy than Phoenix did of playing his. While watching Capote, I had the sense that I was watching Truman Capote. In Walk the Line, I didn't have that feeling....I had the sense that it was Joaquin Phoenix trying his best to play Johnny Cash. He did a good job, but IMO, Hoffman was better.

jk the sooner fan
3/5/2006, 11:53 PM
you're still wrong

SicEmBaylor
3/5/2006, 11:54 PM
Phoenix did such a damned good job in Walk the Line that I don't know if it's possible for any other actor in America to pull of Johnny Cash.

I hated to not see him get the Oscar. However, in my book that just solidifies his reputation even more.

soonerhubs
3/5/2006, 11:54 PM
If Joaquin fought Hoffman in a cage match? Who would win? That's who the Oscar should go to.

KaiserSooner
3/5/2006, 11:55 PM
you're still wrong

And so are you :texan:

jk the sooner fan
3/5/2006, 11:58 PM
And so are you :texan:

pardon me, but i started this thread, if you want to start a lovefest for Hoffman, go do it

but this is the "Joaquin was robbed" thread

take you're disagreeing liberal *** elsewhere

KaiserSooner
3/6/2006, 12:03 AM
In spite of your attempt at a pity party, I'll laud the choice of Hoffman over Joaquin if I so choose.

:D

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2006, 12:07 AM
I've got a friend at aTm (why I have a friend from aTm I don't know) but he looks just like Hoffman. I mean the two of them are like seperated at birth identical.

soonerhubs
3/6/2006, 12:09 AM
We all know Joaquin is the best. Those who dont are just in denial. Someone really needs to click here and comment on my thread (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1231633#post1231633)?

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2006, 12:14 AM
No mention of "Good Night and Good Luck"
I'm going to change that.

RacerX
3/6/2006, 12:27 AM
This thread belongs on the basketball forum.

jk the sooner fan
3/6/2006, 12:31 AM

i dont want Jay convincing me i should feel bad about all this

RacerX
3/6/2006, 12:47 AM
He's pm'ing me again.

usmc-sooner
3/6/2006, 12:51 AM
out of all the great books and all the great people have we slipped so far we are making movies about

Truman Capote ----who watches this ****?

Gay Cowboys

I'd pay to see Cash slap the **** out of Willie with a acoustic guitar.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/6/2006, 07:55 AM
You just don't like Hoffman because Capote was gay.

I didn't see Capote, so I was rooting for Phoenix. I do think it would be difficult to play someone who really existed though.

nmsoonergirl
3/6/2006, 07:59 AM
Everyone in the thread is wrong cause the Hustle and Flow guy kicked Joaquin and Hoffman's butts. And could probably take them both in a cage match.

So there.:P

crawfish
3/6/2006, 08:28 AM
I would post an opinion here, if I even remotely cared.

sooner_born_1960
3/6/2006, 08:39 AM
Some years (like this one), they should just agree that all the movies succed, and skip the awards.

jk the sooner fan
3/6/2006, 08:41 AM
Some years (like this one), they should just agree that all the movies succed, and skip the awards.

"walk the line" did not suck, and neither did "crash"

no clue about the others

sooner_born_1960
3/6/2006, 08:48 AM
Crash was mediocre at best.

mrowl
3/6/2006, 08:55 AM
Crash was mediocre at best.

agree.

Sooner in Tampa
3/6/2006, 08:55 AM
"walk the line" was incredibly well done and I it is one of the best movies that I have watched in a long time.

mrowl
3/6/2006, 08:59 AM
I got VERY sick of the in show advertising for the "big screen" during the WHOLE show. I think that they are officially scared of home theaters, hand held digital players, etc...

I like it. :D

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 09:11 AM
I couldn't get past the hare lip.
Johnny never had a hare lip.

OUthunder
3/6/2006, 09:16 AM
just sayin

Yep, reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption actors getting snubbed.

Harry Beanbag
3/6/2006, 09:35 AM
I didn't see any of the nominated movies this year, but the clips of Capote were annoying enough for me to never see that one.

You know it's been a craptastic year for the movies when that "It's hard being a pimp" song wins an Academy Award. :rolleyes: http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gif

slickdawg
3/6/2006, 09:40 AM
The wife and I finally got to see Walk the Line Saturday Night, and
Joaquin WAS ROBBED! That is one of the best overall performances I've ever
seen.

He played the role extremely well, and SANG all of it very well. Ditto for Reese Witherspoon.

BeetDigger
3/6/2006, 09:46 AM
You just don't like Hoffman because Capote was gay.

I think he was bi.

BeetDigger
3/6/2006, 09:48 AM
Yep, reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption actors getting snubbed.

Speaking of which, I didn't see much of the Oscar's, but when I did watch I did not see the Sarandon-Robbins clan. Last time they were there, it seemed like they had their kids, their kids friends, their neighbors, their neighbor's kids.... all sitting with them.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 09:53 AM
You people are in desperate need of a life. Any life.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/6/2006, 09:54 AM
I think he was bi.so were those BB cowboys.

JohnnyMack
3/6/2006, 10:03 AM
Crash was average at best. Hollywood pats itself on the back for addressing a social ill. Whoopee.

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2006, 10:20 AM
Crash was average at best. Hollywood pats itself on the back for addressing a social ill. Whoopee.

I thought it was great.

Czar Soonerov
3/6/2006, 10:21 AM
this thread sucks

JohnnyMack
3/6/2006, 10:31 AM
I thought it was great.

Seriously?

Beef
3/6/2006, 10:33 AM
I had an ice cream sammich last night. It rocked.

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2006, 10:42 AM
Seriously?

Yeah, I liked it. To me, some of those scenes were so tense, like the guy with the gun infont of the cops. I hadn't seen any of the other movies for Best Picture, so I'm not saying it was better than those, but I could see why it won. Great acting, and a few scenes that left me breathing a little heavier (not like that pervs).

Maybe if I saw the others, it would be 5th out of the 5, but I can see why it won.

jk the sooner fan
3/6/2006, 11:45 AM
i thought crash was an excellent movie

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 11:51 AM
I thought Crash sucked.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/6/2006, 11:55 AM
I thought Carrie Underwood sucked ;)

Beef
3/6/2006, 12:02 PM
Pic?

Pieces Hit
3/6/2006, 12:07 PM
I thought Carrie Underwood sucked ;)You you anti-American communist.
I bet you hate apple pie too.

OUthunder
3/6/2006, 12:14 PM

Nope, you have her confused with the cowboys of Brokeback Mountain.

Beef
3/6/2006, 12:22 PM
You you anti-American communist.
I bet you hate apple pie too.
Mmmmm......pie.

KaiserSooner
3/6/2006, 02:05 PM
I liked Crash too. The general idea it was trying to get across, at least IMO, is that we don't live in a black and white world. I thought it did a good job of portraying that.

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2006, 03:17 PM
I liked Crash too. The general idea it was trying to get across, at least IMO, is that we don't live in a black and white world. I thought it did a good job of portraying that.

But we DO live in a black and white world. The question of truth is only gray because of the mixed perceptions of man. There does exist an absolute right and wrong in any quesiton. Now, can we always easily tell what true right and wrong is? No. This is what leads to the perception of a gray area.

I didn't see the movie myself, so I can't comment on any specific issues in the movie.

Fugue
3/6/2006, 03:24 PM

or baseball

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/stlcards/Jandujarcard.JPG

BeetDigger
3/6/2006, 04:04 PM
But we DO live in a black and white world. The question of truth is only gray because of the mixed perceptions of man. There does exist an absolute right and wrong in any quesiton. Now, can we always easily tell what true right and wrong is? No. This is what leads to the perception of a gray area.

I didn't see the movie myself, so I can't comment on any specific issues in the movie.

You lost me at "live". :confused:

KaiserSooner
3/6/2006, 04:56 PM
But we DO live in a black and white world. The question of truth is only gray because of the mixed perceptions of man. There does exist an absolute right and wrong in any quesiton.

There are absolute right and wrong answers to all questions? I don't think I possess the hubris to make such an assumption.

Now, can we always easily tell what true right and wrong is? No. This is what leads to the perception of a gray area.

In that case, if perception is reality, then you do agree that we live in a gray, nuanced world. ;)

GDC
3/6/2006, 04:58 PM
The Devil's Rejects was robbed.

BeetDigger
3/6/2006, 05:08 PM
I just like saying his name:

Walk eeeen

Although that might make me a little gay.

Beef
3/6/2006, 05:09 PM
The Devil's Rejects was robbed.
**** YEAH!

JohnnyMack
3/6/2006, 05:18 PM
I thought that Crash was a series of unbelievable coincedences and melodramatic acting. It was an effort at spoon feeding the masses a conscience. 1 part Do The Right Thing + 1 part The Usual Suspects and you have a big mess that ends up feeling like Hollywood giving itself a hernia while trying to pat itself on the back for how socially conscious it is.

C&CDean
3/6/2006, 05:54 PM
I can very proudly state that I didn't see Crash (in fact, I've never even heard of it till now), Hemmorhoid Mountain, or the Johnny Cash flick.

HPATGOF RMFO though.

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2006, 05:57 PM
I thought that Crash was a serious of unbelievable coincedences and melodramatic acting. It was an effort at spoon feeding the masses a conscience. 1 part Do The Right Thing + 1 part The Usual Suspects and you have a big mess that ends up feeling like Hollywood giving itself a hernia while trying to pat itself on the back for how socially conscious it is.

Or, it was just a great movie, without all that. Some of us out there watched it and thought: Man that was a great movie. A little crazy, but great.

Somtimes I think we (myself included) over-analyze things looking for deeper meanings. I don't think it's me turning a blind eye when I say: It's just a ****ing movie.

JMHO. but yours sucks ;)

IB4OU2
3/6/2006, 06:00 PM
I would post an opinion here, if I even remotely cared.

Word, I hate Hollywood and all that BS goes with it.

yermom
3/7/2006, 01:40 AM
i need to see Crash...

i agree about Capote, man Hoffman made me want to smack him every time i saw him in clips

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2006, 02:13 AM
There are absolute right and wrong answers to all questions? I don't think I possess the hubris to make such an assumption.

In that case, if perception is reality, then you do agree that we live in a gray, nuanced world. ;)

I agree that there is a perception of a gray area but perception and reality are often different and are in this case.

I don't think it's a great display of hubris to say that absolute right and wrong exists, I think it's a great display of hubris to say WHAT that right and wrong is.

GDC
3/7/2006, 08:46 AM
**** YEAH!

So did Sin City.

slickdawg
3/7/2006, 09:21 AM
So did Sin City.

We finally got to see that on Starz a few weeks ago.

Harry Potter, arms and legs amputated, sweet.

:D

Pieces Hit
3/7/2006, 09:33 AM
Wasn't that Hoffman guy the one in "Twister" wearing the OU cap?

colleyvillesooner
3/7/2006, 09:48 AM
Wasn't that Hoffman guy the one in "Twister" wearing the OU cap?

Yep.

Taxman71
3/7/2006, 10:04 AM
I lost all respect for Hoffman when he failed to use the word "shart" in his acceptance speech.

Oh, and his imitation of Capote was miserably inferior to Joaquin as the man in black. The final minutes in Folsom prison culminating with Cocaine Blues was awesome.

soonerjoker
3/7/2006, 10:50 AM
gays weren't cowboys, they were sheep herders. least that's what i was told.

KaiserSooner
3/7/2006, 11:03 AM
I don't think it's a great display of hubris to say that absolute right and wrong exists, I think it's a great display of hubris to say WHAT that right and wrong is.

That's reasonable, I can see where you're coming from here.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/7/2006, 03:37 PM
That would be Frodo, not Harry Potter ;)

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2006, 09:20 AM
We watched Crash last night, and I agree 100% with JohnnyMack.

GDC
3/8/2006, 10:49 AM
Crash was okay but reminded me of Magnolia, which I walked out on. Munich was the best of the nominees, imo.

jmvac97
3/15/2006, 02:41 PM
The best movie of last year was A History Of Violence.