PDA

View Full Version : Good history as No. 3 seed

Jay C. Upchurch
3/5/2006, 11:14 PM
A couple of quick notes about Oklahoma being the No. 3 seed in the Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship:

* The No. 3 seed in the Big 12 Championship has won four of the nine titles (tied for most with the No. 1 seed), including three of the last five.

* This marks the fifth time in the 10 years of the Big 12 Championship that Oklahoma is the No. 3 seed. The Sooners are 10-2 in the tournament as the No. 3 seed and have advanced to the title game each of the four previous occasions.

*The Sooners won the 2001 and 2003 titles from as the No. 3 seed.

OU SID

Octavian
3/5/2006, 11:26 PM
just like we planned...

;)

Jay C. Upchurch
3/5/2006, 11:50 PM
Of course, I'll get labeled a sunshine pumper for this, but...

If OU had beaten Texas today, the Sooners would have earned the No. 2 seed and then had to play Texas again on Saturday, provided both teams win on Friday. It has been proven over time that it is hard to beat a good basketball team three times in one season (see the '87-88 Sooners vs. Kansas, or the '98-99 Sooners vs. OSU).

Of course, no one is happy about the way OU played in Austin on Sunday. They pretty much stunk up the place.

But the loss on Sunday gives OU a quarterfinal rematch with either Nebraska or Missouri — two teams the Sooners should handle. That would more than likely mean a semifinal rematch with Kansas, a team OU pounded for 34 minutes of their eventual loss in Lawrence. Those are two winnable games, for sure.

If those games go as planned, the Sooners would meet Texas for the title on Sunday. Would it be tough to bounce back and beat the Horns? Sure. But OU has already proven it can beat Texas.

We'll see what the Sooners have left in their tank over the next few weeks. It should be interesting to watch.

PrideTrombone
3/5/2006, 11:54 PM
But the loss on Sunday gives OU a quarterfinal rematch with either Nebraska or Missouri — two teams the Sooners should handle.

Just like we did the first time.... oh.

jk the sooner fan
3/6/2006, 12:28 AM
yipppee, now we're relying on statistical chances!

National Championship here we come!!!!!!!!!!

usmc-sooner
3/6/2006, 01:24 AM
yipppee, now we're relying on statistical chances!

National Championship here we come!!!!!!!!!!

exactly

NUSooner
3/6/2006, 02:32 AM
I would have rather won today because of NCAA Tournament seeding purposes (and maybe sneaking into Dallas), BUT, I would rather playe Nebraska or Missouri than either Iowa State or Oklahoma State for sure in the first round...and while Kansas is hot, I'd rather play them a second time than Texas a third (although the third trip would be likely inevitable in the finals if we can make it).

OUthunder
3/6/2006, 09:11 AM
The way this OU team plays I'll be pleasantly surprised to win against either NU or MU. If we make it to the finals I'll be shocked.

jk the sooner fan
3/6/2006, 09:22 AM
or this team will get lucky and jay will tell us how great they are

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/6/2006, 09:51 AM
All the sarcasm aside, the two teams that I'd most like to play in the first round right now would be Neb or MU. I'd like another crack at KU again on a neutral floor although I could see OSU beating them.

OUstud
3/6/2006, 06:09 PM
Remember the 2004 OU-Nebbish game in Dallas? I smell a rerun. We suck early, then pull it together and win by 1. Next, we'll beat KU by about 11, stunning everyone, and then lose to Fexas in the finals by 7.

chriscappel
3/6/2006, 06:14 PM
interesting.....

okienole3
3/6/2006, 06:27 PM
Well, OU is undefeated this year when I take a dump on the Monday before the upcoming game. So, I would say that things are looking up. Furthermore, in the last 5 Big 12 tournaments, OU has a winning record when I get bamboozled Wednesday night before the tourney. Anyone want to go drinking on Wednesday? :rolleyes:

Penguin
3/6/2006, 06:50 PM
Anyone want to go drinking on Wednesday?

IN

oumartin
3/6/2006, 09:26 PM
So, What are our chances of winning the big 12 tourney jay?
I'm say its not happening.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/6/2006, 09:30 PM
I'm not trying to bash the team Jay, but you really think we have a shot at winning this tournament? By the way, those of you who are going what section are you going to sit in?

chriscappel
3/6/2006, 09:33 PM
Well, OU is undefeated this year when I take a dump on the Monday before the upcoming game. So, I would say that things are looking up. Furthermore, in the last 5 Big 12 tournaments, OU has a winning record when I get bamboozled Wednesday night before the tourney. Anyone want to go drinking on Wednesday? :rolleyes:

I'm there!!

oumartin
3/6/2006, 09:38 PM
I'm working besides I don't have insomnia