PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom remodel question???

OU-HSV
3/4/2006, 11:33 AM
My guest bathroom has sliding shower doors on the tub. I'm tired of having to take them down every time we give our son a bath and then put them back on the tracks when we have company staying w/us. So I want to take the doors and the chrome track off the shower and go with a simple curtain rod and shower curtain. However, I'm worried about the caulking/adhesive they used to install the chrome track. And the holes that will be left from the screws they used to install the track. Has anyone on here ever done this and does anyone know the best way to plug the holes and will the adhesive/caulking come off of the shower/tub surface? Any help is appreciated.

olevetonahill
3/4/2006, 11:52 AM
Is it mounted on tile ? or is this a fibreglass tub and shower ?

OklahomaTuba
3/4/2006, 12:24 PM
Just buy a new house.

OU-HSV
3/4/2006, 12:24 PM
Is it mounted on tile ? or is this a fibreglass tub and shower ?
It's a fiberglass unit

OU-HSV
3/4/2006, 12:25 PM
Just buy a new house.
Heh..not yet. That's only if we're moving back to Oklahoma

Nab'R
3/4/2006, 12:28 PM
Yes, you'll have holes and probably discoloration when you remove the track. The easiest thing to do would be to cut some trim and paint it, then install it where the tracks were. Some 1x2 with a routed edge should work and not look bad. Pretty cheap, too. Paint it with waterproof paint. It should last a while.

OU-HSV
3/4/2006, 12:32 PM
Yes, you'll have holes and probably discoloration when you remove the track. The easiest thing to do would be to cut some trim and paint it, then install it where the tracks were. Some 1x2 with a routed edge should work and not look bad. Pretty cheap, too. Paint it with waterproof paint. It should last a while.
Thanks,Not a bad idea...will the adhesive scrape up to make a smooth surface?

Nab'R
3/4/2006, 12:51 PM
It should. If there's 2 1/2" wide of adhesive residue, you can just use a 3" piece of trim. Basically, use the trim to cover what doesn't come off or doesn't look good.

OU-HSV
3/4/2006, 12:56 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips Nab'R

Jimminy Crimson
3/4/2006, 12:58 PM
If the tub and tile arent in good condition, you could just go ahead and do one of those Re-Bath or Bath Fitter type of deals...

Or you could tell your son 'bathe yourself, beyonce' and not have to worry about taking the doors down. ;)

Nab'R
3/4/2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah, that re-bath thing looks like it would be awesome for remodels. The trim thing would cost about $10, though. :D

OU-HSV
3/4/2006, 04:39 PM
If the tub and tile arent in good condition, you could just go ahead and do one of those Re-Bath or Bath Fitter type of deals...

Or you could tell your son 'bathe yourself, beyonce' and not have to worry about taking the doors down. ;)
I don't know...is it normal to have your 11 1/2 month old son bathe himself? ;)

oumartin
3/4/2006, 05:02 PM
Just hire someone to come in and redo the whole damn bathroom.
New his and hers toilets close enuff to hold hands and a cool 4 person jacuzzi tub would be nice for when i visit

Jimminy Crimson
3/4/2006, 05:05 PM
I don't know...is it normal to have your 11 1/2 month old son bathe himself? ;)

he'll learn, eventually :D

oumartin
3/4/2006, 05:09 PM
heck, my 10 year old hasn't learned how to use soap yet.
boys start getting gross about 10. his puke makes me puke now. used to be I could catch it in my hands and not blink.

OU-HSV
3/4/2006, 05:14 PM
heck, my 10 year old hasn't learned how to use soap yet.
boys start getting gross about 10. his puke makes me puke now. used to be I could catch it in my hands and not blink.
I just puked :eek:

Flagstaffsooner
3/4/2006, 11:59 PM
New his and hers toilets close enuff to hold handsThat hit me funny. Two rolls too I presume.

sanantoniosooner
3/5/2006, 12:10 AM
you consider removing a tub enclosure "remodeling"?

Perhaps you could remodel the kitchen by getting a new paper towel bar.;)

They have sovents that will remove caulking without abrasives. You could polish the acrylic like you would a car.

If you can find a formica supplier and a sample formica that is close, you can get a formica repair kit(that matches the sample) that will look better than any other type of filler. Home Depot or Lowes will have it for basic colors like almond or white most likely

Another solution is somebody that repairs jacuzzi tubs. They fix chiped units all the time and could repair your tub in a similar fashion. They usually only do warranty work, so they might be hard to convince to do the job.

OU-HSV
3/5/2006, 08:30 AM
you consider removing a tub enclosure "remodeling"?

Perhaps you could remodel the kitchen by getting a new paper towel bar.;)
Not really SAS, I just couldn't think of a good thread title. Remodeling is what I did last Fall to my master bathroom (I went from wallpaper to a fresh coat of paint, pulled the toilet out, pulled the carpet up, laid ceramic tile down took a closet door off and put a curtain up, installed a new vanity light fixture, installed a new toilet & had to redo the PVC sewer pipe section under my bathroom floor in the crawlspace. And I'm sure I left a couple of things out)...but that is remodeling.

They have sovents that will remove caulking without abrasives. You could polish the acrylic like you would a car.

If you can find a formica supplier and a sample formica that is close, you can get a formica repair kit(that matches the sample) that will look better than any other type of filler. Home Depot or Lowes will have it for basic colors like almond or white most likely

Another solution is somebody that repairs jacuzzi tubs. They fix chiped units all the time and could repair your tub in a similar fashion. They usually only do warranty work, so they might be hard to convince to do the job.
Cool, thanks for the pointers.