PDA

View Full Version : Burning Mississippi

Czar Soonerov
3/3/2006, 04:16 PM
Pretty good flick. Gene Hackman gave a stellar performance.

The film's principal characters are two F.B.I. men sent down to fictional Jessup County, Miss. to look into the reported disappearance of the civil-rights workers. The leader of the two-man team is Ward (Willem Dafoe), a straight-backed, neatly pressed young agent who goes by the book. His partner, and the film's volatile center, is a not easily categorized fellow named Anderson (Gene Hackman) . A Mississippi redneck, as well as a former Mississippi county sheriff.

Anderson is one of those independently minded Southerners who confound all out-of-state preconceptions about Mississippi, or any other place in the supposedly solid South. (Another would be William Bradford Huie, the crusading Alabama-born-and-bred journalist, author of "Three Lives for Mississippi,, (1965), one of the first books about the Chaney-GoodmanSchwerner case.) The tensions that develop between Ward and Anderson are not entirely unpredictable. The film's resolution also depends on two rather unlikely character transformations. Yet nothing long deters the accumulating dramatic momentum as "Mississippi Burning'"I proceeds and as the defense of the good, psalm-singing, white Christian murderers unravels....

Mr. Hackman has possibly the best-written role of his career as scratchy, rumpled, down-home-talking redneck, who himself has murder heart. He is sensational.... "Mississippi Burning" is first rate.

SoonerProphet
3/3/2006, 04:19 PM
R Lee Ermey is in it too.

I am beginning to feel your boots on my chin.

slickdawg
3/3/2006, 04:20 PM
That was Hackman's best career performance, IMHO.

"Time to do it my way" - Anderson to Ward

The scene in which he grabs the guy's parts at the table for information was priceless.

Czar Soonerov
3/3/2006, 04:22 PM
That was Hackman's best career performance, IMHO.

I rank it just below Lex Luthor.

slickdawg
3/3/2006, 04:24 PM
He's had many great ones, Czar.

Crimson Tide is another one that he was exceptional in.

ousoonerfan
3/3/2006, 04:28 PM
Four passes, nobody shoot until you've passed the ball four times.

VeeJay
3/3/2006, 05:06 PM
I was living in Jackson, MS when they filmed that. The barber shop scene was in an old storefront on Capitol St. in downtown. Hackman was spotted all over town with hot babes wining and dining. A friend's dad encountered him in a bar/restaurant and said he was a super nice guy.

Good story line. I grew up there and never was around backwoods racists like what was portrayed in the movie. Ignorant redneck peckerwood crackers who would burn shacks to the ground, but not backwoods people.

slickdawg
3/3/2006, 05:12 PM
I was living in Jackson, MS when they filmed that.

You too? HAW!