PDA

View Full Version : Best editorial the OU Daily has run in a while...

GottaHavePride
3/3/2006, 12:08 AM
From OUDaily.com:

The Darkness has saved rock and roll

Staff Column: 3-2-06

by Mark Potts
March 01, 2006

“Can't explain all the feelings that you're making me feel. My heart's in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel.” Are these the words of famous poet Edgar Allan Poe? Maybe a lost psalm? No, they are not, for they are the words of The Darkness.

These reflective and soul-searching lyrics come from their song, “I Believe in a Thing Called Love," their first single ever released in 2003 onto an unsuspecting world. This song, in my humble and correct opinion, saved rock and roll. Don't believe me? Let's go throw on our flux capacitor's, go 88 mph and flash back to 2003 to see what was going on in music.

The top rock acts were Audioslave and Linkin Park, along with Trapt and Chevelle. Oh God, the Middle Ages of rock were upon us. Let's not forget of the other top artists of the year. 50 Cent(s), 3 Doors Down and Christina Aguilera. I got one word to describe that year: turd-taco-salad (three words + two hyphens = one word.) The only thing that year had going for it was Justin Timberlake, who is the white man's 1980s Michael Jackson ('90s to 2000s don't count.)

Right now you're probably saying, “Hey Mark, I think you are being astutely sarcastic and incredibly attractive." Well noble reader, you are incorrect about one thing: I'm being superfluously serious (with unnecessary big words.)

People don't give The Darkness a chance because they think they are a joke or a novelty act. Well I think you're a joke, how about that? See, it hurts. And it hurts The Darkness. Actually, it probably doesn't because they are so full of hard rock and rollful roll that they don't care. And it shows with their latest release, “One Way Ticket to Hell … and Back."

Lead singer Justin Hawkins sings with falsettos that will make a castrated Catholic choir boy cry because a) he has no testicles and b) he doesn't have Hawkins' glorious hair. Sure, they sound like they are channeling Queen somewhat, but who cares? Queen was a great rock band, why not copy that? Copying is a very popular use in music. If it was not for copying, rappers wouldn't have jobs.

The Darkness rock hard, period. There is not a rock and roll band around today that rocks as hard as it does. This band transcends time and should be more respected and loved, for they are the saviors of rock music. Most rock music these days falls into alternative or punk or even pop, but The Darkness falls into the strictly rock category, much like past heroes, Journey, Poison, Queen, Quiet Riot, White Snake and Cinderella.

Many people say The Darkness is past their time and they should be back in the 80s, but I venture to say that they are ahead of their times. Currently, '70s style synth rock is popular. Clothing styles pay homage to the '60s and '70s. Maybe in a few years, people will be listening to the state of rock music and think, “Where, oh where, can I find something good?" I'll let the lyrics of The Darkness answer you.

“They did a quiz at the village fete and we came last / Everybody laughed at the two of us / But I've never seen a bale of hay move so fast / She was a bona fide forking genius.” That has nothing to do with your question, but I know you already have the answer.

Heh.

SoonerBorn68
3/3/2006, 12:12 AM
The word "rock" or "rocks" appears 14 times in the article.

critical_phil
3/3/2006, 12:19 AM
Journey, Poison, Queen, Quiet Riot, White Snake and Cinderella

**** YEAH!

\m/

yermom
3/3/2006, 12:32 AM
The Darkness is :dolemite: approved

and what is wrong with Audioslave? :mad:

i said the same thing about Justin Timberlake... that video for Rock Your Body is VERY MJ-like

SoonerBorn68
3/3/2006, 12:37 AM
**** YEAH!

\m/

That's what I thought. I am SO far out of the loop...

jeremy885
3/3/2006, 09:43 AM
Who the hell is "along with Trapt".

TUSooner
3/3/2006, 10:43 AM
Justin Timberlake was good?!? :confused: :eek: :confused: I musta missed that nanosecond of music history.

And I have to toss this in as well:
“Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read” ~ Frank Zappa

Dio
3/3/2006, 10:53 AM
I was just wondering whatever happened to The Darkness.

Substitute Dokken and Metallica for Poison and Cinderella, and I am in.

yermom
3/3/2006, 10:58 AM
GNR probably belongs in there as well

OUstudent4life
3/3/2006, 11:08 AM
I believe in a thing call crap.

Stupid butt-rock. They need to shut up so I can listen to my emo in peace.

:D

=\/\/=

dolemitesooner
3/4/2006, 06:37 PM
I love the ****ing darness

IronSooner
3/4/2006, 06:43 PM
I don't know if I agree with The Darkness being the savior of rock, but rock definitely sucks now. Most music right now sucks. Audioslave sucks, Linkin Park had a good 1st CD and a pretty decent 2nd, Trapt is alright, Chevelle teeters on sucking, and everything else is crap. Right now Sevendust and Disturbed are all that are holding me up.

dolemitesooner
3/5/2006, 02:38 AM
I don't know if I agree with The Darkness being the savior of rock, but rock definitely sucks now. Most music right now sucks. Audioslave sucks, Linkin Park had a good 1st CD and a pretty decent 2nd, Trapt is alright, Chevelle teeters on sucking, and everything else is crap. Right now Sevendust and Disturbed are all that are holding me up.
wow!!!!!! sevendust and disturbed suck man

starclassic tama
3/5/2006, 03:27 AM

hahahaha wow....