PDA

View Full Version : story about Joel Hinrichs/suicide. anybody see this?

picasso
3/2/2006, 11:57 PM
State Briefs: OU blast wasn't a suicide, bomb expert suggests
By Wire and Correspondent Reports
3/2/2006

NORMAN -- A University of Oklahoma student who blew himself up outside a packed Oklahoma Memorial Stadium probably didn't commit suicide, a Norman police bomb expert said.

"I believe he accidentally blew himself up," Sgt. George Mauldin said Tuesday of Joel Henry Hinrichs III, an engineering student who died in the explosion Oct. 1.

When asked if he believed that Hinrichs, 21, meant to enter the stadium with the explosives, Mauldin said, "I don't believe he intended for an explosion to occur at that spot" on a nearby park bench.

Graphic photos showed that Hinrichs was decapitated and his headless body was still upright on the park bench next to the backpack.

Hinrichs, of Colorado Springs, Colo., had two to three pounds of triacetone triperoxide, or TATP, in a backpack on his lap when it exploded about 173 yards from the stadium during the second quarter of the OU-Kansas State University football game, Mauldin said.

He and Police Chief Phil Cotten briefed Norman city councilors about the explosion and the department's investigation in a conference Tuesday night.

The FBI has said its investigation didn't find any links between Hinrichs and terrorist organizations. Agents have said they might never know whether

the student wanted to get inside the stadium.

critical_phil
3/3/2006, 12:01 AM
it's really sad.

that guy was a helluva point guard. i know kelvin had a lot of respect for him.

proud gonzo
3/3/2006, 12:01 AM
yeah, i think there was a thread about it a couple days ago

picasso
3/3/2006, 01:01 AM
yeah, i think there was a thread about it a couple days ago
my bad, I haven't been on much.:)
I noticed it in the back of today's Tulsa world.

OUAndy1807
3/3/2006, 01:19 AM
http://newsok.com/video/1634836/

OUAndy1807
3/3/2006, 01:29 AM
so did they release the pictures? ick.

proud gonzo
3/3/2006, 10:21 AM
if they have released pictures, i haven't seen them

Fugue
3/3/2006, 11:14 AM
it's really sad.

that guy was a helluva point guard. i know kelvin had a lot of respect for him.

I hope you got spek for this.

3/3/2006, 11:17 AM
What color were his eyes?

Oldnslo
3/3/2006, 11:29 AM
What color were his eyes?
blew