PDA

View Full Version : I be ignorant...what's a Chipotle?

handcrafted
3/2/2006, 02:30 PM
???

KABOOKIE
3/2/2006, 02:31 PM
A mexican chip clip?

critical_phil
3/2/2006, 02:31 PM
a pepper.

also a fast food joint that RMFO.

also a fast food joint not found in the OKC metro area.

Jimminy Crimson
3/2/2006, 02:32 PM
A smoked Jalapeno

or

A chain of burrito semi-fast food restaurants that I would eat at 3 meals a day if there was one in Oklahoma. :texan:

TopDaugIn2000
3/2/2006, 02:33 PM
started by McDonald's

edit: OK OK OK!!! I STAND CORRECTED!!!!!!! THEY WERE NOT STARTED BY MCDONALD'S!!!!!!

Tear Down This Wall
3/2/2006, 02:35 PM
Dudes, you get huge freaking' burritos at Chipotle. Crikey, mates! You could get one and eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

SoonerInKCMO
You Hillbillies ain't got Chipotle?!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

LOOOOOOOZERRRRS!!!

Hamhock
also a fast food joint not found in the OKC metro area.

or Tulsa..

TopDaugIn2000
3/2/2006, 02:36 PM
Moe's is similar, but not as good IMO.

Jimminy Crimson
3/2/2006, 02:38 PM
started by McDonald's

Nope.

McD's bought into the company only recently. Started by some dudes in Denver.

TopDaugIn2000
3/2/2006, 02:39 PM
oh, ok.

knew it had SOME tie with mcd's though.

Jimminy Crimson
3/2/2006, 02:40 PM
ugh, i want a burrito now

big 12 tourney, here i come :D

TopDaugIn2000
3/2/2006, 02:41 PM
isn't it also similiar to a Baja Fresh? I've seen tons of those, but never tried em.

GottaHavePride
3/2/2006, 02:42 PM
oh, ok.

knew it had SOME tie with mcd's though.

Yeah, McDowell's hasn't had a chance to screw up Chipotle yet.

Fugue
3/2/2006, 02:43 PM
Steak Fajita Burrito
hot sauce w/guac

critical_phil
3/2/2006, 02:46 PM
McD's bought into the company only recently....

hmmmmmm.

i wonder if they've changed their stance on franchising? last i looked at it, they said "don't even ask".

if so, i'd be happy to take on a partner........(for chipotle's)

NormanPride
3/2/2006, 02:48 PM
Freebirds >>>>>>>> Qdoba/Chipotle/Atomic Burrito/Moe's/Whatever

Jimminy Crimson
3/2/2006, 02:56 PM
hmmmmmm.

i wonder if they've changed their stance on franchising? last i looked at it, they said "don't even ask".

if so, i'd be happy to take on a partner........(for chipotle's)

Not as of a year ago. efftards!

critical_phil
3/2/2006, 02:58 PM
Not as of a year ago. efftards!

just let me know when.

there's a lot a land on s. western between 119th and 134th that's asking for a chipotle's.

would be low hanging fruit, my friend....

Jimminy Crimson
3/2/2006, 03:01 PM
just let me know when.

there's a lot a land on s. western between 119th and 134th that's asking for a chipotle's.

would be low hanging fruit, my friend....

speaking of hanging fruit, have you seen lohans latest nip slip? :cool:

critical_phil
3/2/2006, 03:08 PM
for you other :dean: homos :dean: that like to cook, chipotle chili powder adds a very interesting (and hot) taste to things you make with regular chili powder. i use it in addition to, not in place of, regular chili powder for hot slaw, chili, and steak rub.

i've posted this before. it's really good:

ok GHP, here's one for you. my wife saw this on a cooking show, and i made it last night. it's a simple recipe. the only thing out of the ordinary is the chipotle chili powder, which i had never used before.

Fiery Hot Texas T-Bones with Chipotle Smashed Potatoes and Hot and Sweet Pepper Saute Recipe courtesy Rachael RaySee this recipe on air Monday Aug. 22 at 2:30 PM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
User Rating: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/images/icons/5_stars.gif

3 whole jalapenos
3 bell peppers, choose 3 different colors
2 1/2 pounds small potatoes, such as baby Yukon gold or small red skin potatoes, coarsely chopped
Salt
4 slices bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons chipotle powder, divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon dark chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
2 large T-Bone steaks 1 1/2 inches thick, 2 1/2 pounds total
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 3 turns of the pan, divided
1/4 cup bourbon, eyeball it

Seed and slice the hot and sweet fresh peppers and reserve.

Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add salt to boiling water. Cook potatoes until tender, 10-12 minutes. Chop and brown bacon in a small skillet and add a tablespoon of chipotle powder and onions. Cook 5 minutes over medium heat until onions are tender. When potatoes are tender, drain and return to hot pot. Add bacon mixture and sour cream to the potatoes. Smash potatoes and season with salt, to taste.

While potatoes are working, combine dry spice rub: chili powder, remaining chipotle powder, cumin and grill seasoning. Rub steaks liberally on both sides with the mixture. Heat a 12 to14-inch skillet screaming hot. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan. It will smoke. Add steaks and do not turn for 6 minutes. Flip and cook another 6 minutes for medium rare, up to 10 minutes for well done. Remove skillet from flame and add bourbon. Return steaks to stove and flame the pan. When the fire goes out, transfer the meat to a large serving platter and pour pan juices over the top. Let meat rest for juices to redistribute. Return pan to heat and add remaining tablespoon vegetable oil to the skillet. Add hot and sweet peppers to the pan and saute them for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pile peppers alongside steaks.

Remove meat from the T bones and cut into 4 portions. Top with some peppers and pile some chipotle smashers along side. Spoon drippings and juices over meat and serve.

i thought for sure i was going to ruin 20 bucks worth of T-bone by putting chili powder on it, but it turned out awesome.........and HOT!

Jimminy Crimson
3/2/2006, 03:23 PM
In my last batch of chili, I used a third regular chili powder, a third ancho chili powder and a third of chipotle. good eatin.

handcrafted
3/2/2006, 04:21 PM
Okay, so a Chipotles is like Atomic Burrito. Gotcha.

They had an AB in Norman for like 6 months. It closed because it couldn't compete with Bell. AB cost too much and the broke college students could get a veritable feast at Bell for what one small burrito cost at AB.

proud gonzo
3/2/2006, 05:21 PM
I want barbacoa :(

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/2/2006, 05:24 PM
I want barbacoa :(

Not with your allergies, young lady...

proud gonzo
3/2/2006, 05:31 PM
hey, i bet their hot salsa would make my head feel better.

IronSooner
3/2/2006, 06:38 PM
I"d go ahead and try it. At least if the barbacoa doesn't help your head it made a damn fine burrito.

Jimminy Crimson
3/2/2006, 07:04 PM
Okay, so a Chipotles is like Atomic Burrito. Gotcha.

They had an AB in Norman for like 6 months. It closed because it couldn't compete with Bell. AB cost too much and the broke college students could get a veritable feast at Bell for what one small burrito cost at AB.

AB just wasn't done right. Right idea, wrong execution.

When Chipotle eventually taps into this market, it will be a day to celebrate.

And the burritos at Chipotle are like 8 pounds each, with more meat in each burrito than is in the entire Taco Bell store. :texan:

proud gonzo
3/2/2006, 07:14 PM
I"d go ahead and try it. At least if the barbacoa doesn't help your head it made a damn fine burrito.
I would but we don't HAVE a Chipotle here! :mad:

Fugue
3/2/2006, 07:19 PM
I would but we don't HAVE a Chipotle here! :mad:

Is it enough If I think about you tonight while I eat there? :D

proud gonzo
3/2/2006, 07:24 PM
Is it enough If I think about you tonight while I eat there? :D
:mad:

Fugue
3/2/2006, 07:28 PM
They do have some great stuff, I can't believe it isn't down there yet.

Palermo10
3/2/2006, 07:40 PM
I dont think my fellow Okies understand just how amazing a Chipotle burrito is.

I just cant describe it. I am used to eating them 3-4 times a week, no exaggeration... but 1 burrito can last you (until you develop a tolerance... s**t)

royalfan5
3/2/2006, 08:00 PM
I had myself a nice steak fajita burrito with the hot salsa tonight. It was quite yummy.

Tailwind
3/2/2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.fiery-foods.com/images/chipotle.jpg

swardboy
3/2/2006, 08:13 PM
AND NOW for the only correct answer to the question: Chipotle is smoked red pepper.....you notice the smokey taste to anything that has "chipotle flavor"