PDA

View Full Version : UT baseball receives sanctions

joex2
3/2/2006, 09:19 AM
Of course OSU and TT didn't help the Big XII's image either.:rolleyes:

NCAA hits 99 sports teams with academic penalties
March 1, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ninety-nine teams at 65 schools produced failing marks under the NCAA's new academic measurements and could begin losing scholarships next fall.

Only seven teams in the six power conferences -- Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Southeastern and Pac-10 -- were sanctioned. Four schools -- Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Texas of the Big 12, and Tennessee of the SEC -- had insufficient scores in baseball.

link (http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/general/story/9276252)

ouflak
3/2/2006, 10:07 AM
Well it's just sanctions right now. I mean it's nothing actually important like actual scholarships. Frankly I'm against this policy. All it does is remove opportunities for kids to get a chance to go college, including kids who are capable of university level scholastic work, but don't get any opportunity because the NCAA has gone through and whacked a bunch of scholarships right out of existance. There are going to be some sad days ahead for many young men and women....

Taxman71
3/2/2006, 10:21 AM
I can see removing schollys for football and maybe one or two for basketball, but a sport like baseball that has a grand total of 11.7 to field an entire team is already behind the 8-ball and should not be subjected to scholarship penalties. Why is baseball (a non-revenue sport) even getting lumped in with the 2 big boys?

AustinTXHorn
3/2/2006, 12:20 PM
The current APR deal that they've got in isn't too good. The three players that basically got them penalized here left to go play professional baseball and didn't finish up their credits in time.

They've gotta change that rule.

CobraKai
3/2/2006, 12:26 PM
I agree that APR is completely bogus.

Dio
3/2/2006, 12:30 PM
I agree that the NCAA is completely bogus.

fixed.

Herr Scholz
3/2/2006, 12:42 PM
The three players that basically got them penalized here left to go play professional baseball and didn't finish up their credits in time.

"Our goal is not to sanction schools but to change behavior, and we are seeing some positive results," Brand said.

Our goal is to punish baseball programs for being good and putting players into the pros? :rolleyes: We need to change that 'behavior'.

leftfield
3/2/2006, 09:05 PM
11.7 scholly's is a joke. When I played there was not one player on FULL scholly, but every chick on the volleyball team had a full and there were two full ones left. One of which went to a manager, so there was a full one that went untouched.

Its a joke, the schools get punished for a player leaving to go pro. I'm pretty sure if I was offered hundreds of thousands of dollars by a MLB team I wouldn't worry about finishing my degree right away. Maybe later, but not right away and the school gets punished. Absurd.

sportsproducer
3/2/2006, 10:52 PM
The whole idea for the APR is ridiculous. So Texas has 3 players go pro and not finish there credits in a certain amount of time. So youhave these 3 guys going Pro and are going to be making good money playing baseball while the NCAA comes in a wants to punish the guys who have not gone pro.

HMMM That makes sence.

suncoastsooner7
3/3/2006, 01:36 PM
Texass doesn't deserve sanctions. There problems with baseball revolves around players that left early for the draft and a pair of kids kicked off the team for their conduct.

sportsproducer
3/4/2006, 01:38 PM
totally agree Suncoast. This is a bed rule simply to make non-athltic folks say. "Ah they are making kids study." As if they did not before.

Funny thing about the APR tha this particular group of NCAA admninistrators do not want you to know. The graduation rate for studnet athletes across the board nationwide is higher than studenst in general.

I was at a student retention conference in Dallas back in October. The rates they unvceiled where as follows:

Students Graduation rate 0-4 years 46%
Students Graduation Rate 4-6 years 48%

Studnet athletes Graduation rate 0-4 years 56%
Studnet Athletes Graduation rate 4-6 years 62%

When I interviewed the Keynote speaker I asked him why the NCAA felt the APR was neccessary. His reply was that the APR was a joke and that he uses formulas form most athletic departments nationwide to help create better student retention amung Universities. Go Fugure!!!