PDA

View Full Version : I can see a million and one uses for something like this

Ike
3/1/2006, 02:18 PM
and all of them are good.

Nanotube paint will be able to block cell phone signals.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/chi-060301radioshield,0,5826117.story?coll=ny-leadnationalnews-headlines

"You could use this in a concert hall, allowing cell phones to work before the concert and during breaks, but shutting them down during the performance," said Michael Riedlinger, president of NaturalNano of Rochester, N.Y.

His firm has found a way to use nanotechnology to blend particles of copper into paint that can be brushed onto walls and effectively deflect radio signals.

and of course, this would probably be great on tinfoil hats too...

crawfish
3/1/2006, 02:22 PM
You guys still considering children should line your underwear with it, too. :)

sooner_born_1960
3/1/2006, 02:28 PM
I've never even put a cell phone in my underwear.

sooner_born_1960
3/1/2006, 02:29 PM
Wait. I'm not planning to have any more children. Never mind.

skycat
3/1/2006, 02:31 PM
and all of them are good.

Nanotube paint will be able to block cell phone signals.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/chi-060301radioshield,0,5826117.story?coll=ny-leadnationalnews-headlines

and of course, this would probably be great on tinfoil hats too...

I haven't read the article yet, but is that legal?

I had thought I read somewhere that blocking signals of that frequency was against the law.

skycat
3/1/2006, 02:34 PM
Eh, I should have read the article first. :O

Taxman71
3/1/2006, 02:42 PM
Wish the LNC had that. The geek in front of me literally texted messaged his girlfriend (or boyfriend) the entire game during Bedlam on Monday. Dude, sell your ticket and go buy the new Pet Shop Boys CD.

Harry Beanbag
3/1/2006, 03:04 PM
I've never even put a cell phone in my underwear.

You should. Put it on vibrate mode first then keep calling yourself from another phone.

BeetDigger
3/1/2006, 03:31 PM
You should. Put it on vibrate mode first then keep calling yourself from another phone.

Reason #1 why I don't use other people's cell phones.

crawfish
3/1/2006, 03:37 PM

I think that's what the slit was made for.

NormanPride
3/1/2006, 04:02 PM

Out.

Vaevictis
3/1/2006, 05:17 PM
I haven't read the article yet, but is that legal?

I had thought I read somewhere that blocking signals of that frequency was against the law.

My understanding is that it's illegal to cause interference by sending out EMF that interferes with the signal. Using inactive means is not illegal, AFAIK.

Technically, you could accomplish the same thing just by sticking the rebar in the concrete walls, floor and ceiling sufficiently close together.

skycat
3/1/2006, 06:14 PM
My understanding is that it's illegal to cause interference by sending out EMF that interferes with the signal. Using inactive means is not illegal, AFAIK.

Technically, you could accomplish the same thing just by sticking the rebar in the concrete walls, floor and ceiling sufficiently close together.

I'd thought that I had read that it was illegal to make a Farraday cage around, for instance, a movie theater, which is why I brought it up.

I guess not. Although I'd bet that if these guys market this stuff, the cell phone companies will try to make it illegal.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2006, 06:18 PM
This reminds me of this paint I saw in London a few years ago at the Tower of London. It was a bright orange with reflective speks painted on all of the railings and it had a sign that said "Anti-Climbing Paint." I kid you not.

oumartin
3/1/2006, 06:24 PM

no wonder I don't get no action and hear the phone vibrate at all hours in the morning.

Vaevictis
3/1/2006, 06:35 PM
I'd thought that I had read that it was illegal to make a Farraday cage around, for instance, a movie theater, which is why I brought it up.

I guess not. Although I'd bet that if these guys market this stuff, the cell phone companies will try to make it illegal.

Hey, I don't know. Maybe you did. But like I said, you can make a Faraday cage around any building just by spacing the rebar sufficiently close for the wavelengths you're targetting. I don't see how they can make that illegal, do you?

"Oh, gee, your honor. The whole Faraday cage thing was completely unintentional. I swear it. The responsible engineer really thought we needed the rebar to be less than 1 meter apart."

Ike
3/1/2006, 06:53 PM
Hey, I don't know. Maybe you did. But like I said, you can make a Faraday cage around any building just by spacing the rebar sufficiently close for the wavelengths you're targetting. I don't see how they can make that illegal, do you?

"Oh, gee, your honor. The whole Faraday cage thing was completely unintentional. I swear it. The responsible engineer really thought we needed the rebar to be less than 1 meter apart."

I can't find anything to indicate that building a faraday cage anywhere is illegal at all.

but if I were going to do it, I wouldn't use rebar. I'd use a much lighter conductor...it would probably be a lot cheaper.

3/1/2006, 07:07 PM
I think this is a great idea. That way, when your kid falls and breaks his arm or chokes, the sitter can't bother you with a call (set to vibrate) while your watching a movie or stuffing your face.

skycat
3/2/2006, 10:40 AM
I can't find anything to indicate that building a faraday cage anywhere is illegal at all.

but if I were going to do it, I wouldn't use rebar. I'd use a much lighter conductor...it would probably be a lot cheaper.

Exactly. You'd be a lot better off just putting aluminum foil on the backside of the sheetrock or something like that.

As to the legality of it, it's entirely possible that I imagined that.

Taxman71
3/2/2006, 11:10 AM
I think this is a great idea. That way, when your kid falls and breaks his arm or chokes, the sitter can't bother you with a call (set to vibrate) while your making out during Schindler's List.

Fixed.

SoonerWood
3/2/2006, 11:26 AM
Could this sort of technology be used to stop an EMP?

3/2/2006, 11:33 AM
Not sure... some of those EMPs are pretty fast.

Ike
3/2/2006, 01:34 PM
Exactly. You'd be a lot better off just putting aluminum foil on the backside of the sheetrock or something like that.

As to the legality of it, it's entirely possible that I imagined that.

yeah, if your intention was to block phone signals all the time. however, this new creation allows one to block signals or not block signals at your discretion...

Ike
3/2/2006, 01:39 PM
yes. sorta. any faraday cage or other EMF blocking technology *could* be used to protect whatever is inside the cage from an EMP, provided that it is created to stop EMF of the frequencies seen in an EMP (ie, the 'gaps' in it are much smaller than the wavelengths of light emitted by the pulse)

Ike
3/2/2006, 01:39 PM
Not sure... some of those EMPs are pretty fast.
psst....all EMP's move at the same rate.

Vaevictis
3/2/2006, 01:40 PM

Yeah, I agree. The point is you could do it though ;)

I don't see why not. If you surrounded the entire device with a coat, it would probably protect it. The key there is that you have to surround the entire device, and everything electrically coupled to it. (ie, no exposed electrically coupled antennae, etc)

skycat
3/2/2006, 02:52 PM
yeah, if your intention was to block phone signals all the time. however, this new creation allows one to block signals or not block signals at your discretion...

Yeah, I was responding to the added rebar idea.

I think we're all pretty much in violent agreement. ;)

afs
3/2/2006, 10:35 PM
i would imagine that the paint is designed for a specific frequency. not sure what an EMP radiates at but for the most part, the best way to protect vs. and EMP is to turn off electronics.