PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Grad report out.

Okieflyer
3/1/2006, 02:05 PM
Academic progress rates for Big 12 teams in baseball, men's basketball and football:

College Baseball Men's basketball Football
Baylor 978 647 960
Colorado NA 815 936
Iowa State NA 846 938
Kansas 864 923 899
Kansas State 875 886 912
Missouri 910 932 907
Oklahoma 836 938 929
Oklahoma State 787 920 896
Nebraska 927 934 929
Texas 919 833 934
Texas A&M 877 839 887
Texas Tech 754 917 919

The ABCs of APR

APR defined: APR stands for academic progress rate, which the NCAA has made its primary measuring stick for success in the classroom. Unlike graduation rates, which have a six-year lag time, the APR is a real-time snapshot.

Calculating the APR: For each semester, schools get one point for an athlete in good academic standing and one point for keeping that athlete in school. If a men's basketball team has 13 scholarship players, that's a possible 52 points. If the team has two players who leave and weren't academically eligible to continue, that's a loss of four points. Divide the team's points (48) by its possible total (52), and you get 0.923, which will be expressed as an APR of 923.

The score to beat is 925: The magic number is 925. It's kind of like an SAT score in that you may not understand how it's figured, but everyone will soon know a good one from a bad one. Teams that score below 925 could be subject to penalties beginning next year. A school that hits 925 for five years should graduate 50 percent of its athletes.

Meet the '0-fer,' the program killer: Someone who leaves the team without being in good academic standing goes '0 for 2' on the APR — that is, the athlete failed to earn the point for eligibility and the point for retention. If the team's APR is below 925, the school could be prohibited from awarding a scholarship to replace the departing '0-fer.'

Cap on penalties: No team can lose more than 10 percent of its scholarships. But the NCAA will give heavier punishments, including postseason bans, for teams with continual problems.

I think we only failed Baseball. Sorry about the non-spacing, but it won't separate them on this board.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2006, 02:26 PM
SWEET!

OUstudent4life
3/1/2006, 02:29 PM
so KU, KSU, and OSU failed in all 3 sports to hit 925?

heh.

Desert Sapper
3/1/2006, 02:35 PM
Baseball must have different APR rules or something. Only Baylor and Nebraska meet the 925 mark.

Phewww to Basketball and Football...

Taxman71
3/1/2006, 02:35 PM
Sounds like Baylor will be the only school to field a complete 9 a few baseball seasons from now. Their BB score is Vince Young-esque.

A$M just plain sucks all around.

caphorns
3/1/2006, 02:39 PM
Meet the '0-fer,' the program killer: Someone who leaves the team without being in good academic standing goes '0 for 2' on the APR — that is, the athlete failed to earn the point for eligibility and the point for retention. If the team's APR is below 925, the school could be prohibited from awarding a scholarship to replace the departing '0-fer.'

So Baylor basketball cannot replace its murdered players. Brutal.

By the way, it looks like there will be some pain to distribute in both basketball and baseball.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2006, 02:45 PM

By the way, it looks like there will be some pain to distribute in both basketball and baseball.

Uncalled for,
But that score is pretty dismal. It'll go up though I'm sure.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/1/2006, 06:51 PM
it looks like its based on the number of scholarships awarded. using these numbers makes baseball really weird as they give out partial scholarships. would it be a 1/4 scholarship only merits you a max of a 1/4 point?

football did a pretty amazing job since they had 3 academically ineligible players last year and one quit.

slickdawg
3/1/2006, 10:35 PM

Totally disrespectful. I'd negrep you, but losers like you get off on that.

you friggin' :texan:

OUDoc
3/2/2006, 08:49 AM
Totally disrespectful. I'd negrep you, but losers like you get off on that.

you friggin' :texan:
I thought that at first. I'll give Cappy the benefit of meaning that the players in question appear to count against Baylor's score. (I hope that's what you meant :mad:).

Scott D
3/2/2006, 01:39 PM
the Baylor basketball score is a joke since they're likely getting a hit from all the players who jumped programs after the Bliss crap + the NCAA slapping them hard with the 'Pwned' stick in relation to that.

Honestly, what else can the NCAA do short of making them get rid of the basketball program now.

and slick, I read what cap said as a reference to Baylor being penalized for the events from the Dotson/Dennehy fallout.

SicEmBaylor
3/2/2006, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Scott
Honestly, what else can the NCAA do short of making them get rid of the basketball program now..[/QUOTE]

Nothing else..thankfully. The major portion of the sanctions are totally behind us after this year. The only thing left are a couple of reduced coaching visits for recruiting.

caphorns
3/6/2006, 11:05 AM
I thought that at first. I'll give Cappy the benefit of meaning that the players in question appear to count against Baylor's score. (I hope that's what you meant :mad:).

It was a poor attempt at dark humor but not meant to **** people off. Obviously I was not as in touch with my sensitive side that day. I've said my peace to Sic'Em and forced myself to watch 5 minutes of women's basketball ;)

Baylor's 647 on b-ball to me shows that the system is still too paternalistic. Baylor does a good job of graduating students, yet because the program ran into sanctions, they had an unusually bad score here. Essentially restricting Baylor further for the academic grade would be sanctioning them twice for the same actions.