PDA

View Full Version : Can A&M pull the upset tonite?

Jay C. Upchurch
3/1/2006, 10:54 AM
With a possible NCAA bid dangling from the rafters tonight, I expect the Aggies to give Texas all it wants and then some. A&M proved they were a tough matchup for the Horns during an 83-70 loss at Austin a few weeks ago, and tonight will be no different.

The key will probably be A&M's ability to limit the damage Aldridge does in the paint.

That said, Texas will probably find a way to win. But I would not be surprised to see the Aggies pull the upset.

ouflak
3/1/2006, 11:02 AM
Very, very doubtful that A&M even really comes close. Maybe at some point they'll get on a run to get it back down to single digits briefly, but that little flirt with fantasy will quickly be gone like a sheep that's spotted an Aggie on the horizon.

Herr Scholz
3/1/2006, 11:34 AM
They'll get some serious home cooking. You can count on that.

crawfish
3/1/2006, 11:36 AM
A&M plays some of the best defense in the league. I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't count them out.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/1/2006, 11:52 AM
A&M keeps it pretty close (6-8 points) but I think the Whorns win.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/1/2006, 01:25 PM
Whorns win it by 15.

AustinTXHorn
3/1/2006, 02:19 PM
Absolutely. I'm more worried about this one than the OU game, actually. A&M has a LOT to play for and we could be caught looking ahead to the OU senior night game.

This is basically A&M's biggest basketball game in at least 20 years. Definitely the biggest ever for 95% of the Aggies in the arena tonight. I'm heading down there in about an hour. It's going to be fun.

Jimminy Crimson
3/1/2006, 02:31 PM
It will be BEDLAM!!!! ;)

IronHorseSooner
3/1/2006, 02:58 PM
Absolutely. I'm more worried about this one than the OU game, actually. A&M has a LOT to play for and we could be caught looking ahead to the OU senior night game.

Absolutely they can. Look, UT has problems with teams known for defense, I just can't explain it. Most of the UT players have not been in this situation, and when faced with big games on the road this year against natural rivals (OU and even lOSUr), UT has choked, big time. Jones will be a tough match up for the UT big men, and they have an experienced PG in Law. Gillespie is an up-and-coming head coach, and that place will be rocking tonight. Again, UT has not responded well on the road in big games, which speaks to a certain maturity level..... You heard it here, A&M by 7.

AustinTXHorn
3/1/2006, 03:06 PM
I agree with you that A&M has a good chance.

BUT...Texas beat Memphis on the road this season by double digits. They're a 7-2 team in road games this year. It's not like they're a bad road team. Texas didn't choke against OU. OU flat out played their best game of the season -- by far. Texas did choke against OSU.

Vegas Sooner
3/1/2006, 03:51 PM
got a good shot at the whorns.

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 03:58 PM
If we hadn't melted down against NU, Mizzou and KU we wouldn't have to give a sh*t, now would we?

oumartin
3/1/2006, 05:47 PM
had we not blown the 16 point lead to Kansas we wouldn't need to to worry about this game now would we Jay?
oh, and don't forget the Nebraska and Missouri games.

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 05:50 PM
http://hometown.aol.com/mrjmtchr/myhomepage/parrot%20pic.jpg

oumartin
3/1/2006, 05:51 PM
sorry johnny, I dent ready yer post till after I posted. I gave you private props.

Salt City Sooner
3/1/2006, 06:04 PM
The only worrying I see on this thread is from a Horn. Last I checked, Jay just asked a simple question.

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 06:11 PM
sorry johnny, I dent ready yer post till after I posted. I gave you private props.

:P

:D

Jay C. Upchurch
3/1/2006, 06:44 PM
The only worrying I see on this thread is from a Horn. Last I checked, Jay just asked a simple question.

Thanks for getting my back Salt City Sooner. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, oumartin is going to attempt to take jabs at myself and the OU basketball team any way he can.

No big deal.

SeattleOUstudent
3/1/2006, 06:51 PM
we wouldnt have to worry about all this if we hadnt lost to KU and Mizzou.

I keed, I keed

oumartin
3/1/2006, 07:38 PM
whatcha talkin' about Jay, you are always pm'ing me..

Jay C. Upchurch
3/1/2006, 07:42 PM
Wait, I thought you quit this board? Are you back?

There goes the neighborhood.... again.

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks for getting my back Salt City Sooner. I appreciate it. Unfortunately, oumartin is going to attempt to take jabs at myself and the OU basketball team any way he can.

No big deal.

Seriously, if we have the 1 loss in conference we should have, does anyone in the Sooner Nation care what happens tonight? Maybe so. Then again, maybe not.

MojoRisen
3/1/2006, 08:06 PM
Am interested- because I have a bet on the board that if OU wins the regular season big 12- I have to take a blow up doll out to dinner order a main course and drinks and not crack a smile- and publically apologize.

A&M will upset Sexat tonight... 65-60

yermom
3/1/2006, 08:31 PM
they are going to have to stop fouling if they are going to have a chance

oumartin
3/1/2006, 08:49 PM
I quit but I missed you Jay.

yermom
3/1/2006, 09:26 PM
I can't quit you Jay.

:eek:

are the Aggies ever going to stop jacking up those stupid 3's???

yermom
3/1/2006, 09:34 PM
ok, so they finally make one

i was just thinking they needed to pay us royalties on our patented scoring drought ;)

yermom
3/1/2006, 10:02 PM
wow, nice eye on the game clock there Tucker

Ruuuuuufus
3/1/2006, 10:03 PM
what a shot to win the game

Ruuuuuufus
3/1/2006, 10:04 PM
A&M probably just played their way into the ncaa tourney

yermom
3/1/2006, 10:05 PM
wow, nice 3 to end the game

now we just need KSU to beat the Gayhawks and to take care of business is Austin

is that too much to ask? ;)

oumartin
3/1/2006, 10:06 PM
man, that ball had absolutely no rotation on it but it went in!
great night of games.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/2/2006, 12:41 AM

No big deal.

Jay I'm curious, are you blind to the fact that we absolutely blew the Kansas game and the Nebraska game? That we got humiliated by Mizzou on our floor. That we had close encounters (1 point wins) with teams that are currently 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th in the Big 12 Standings. There's a difference between "taking jabs" at the team and criticizing continuous games in which we play down to the other team's level, or we don't play to our potential. Please quit acting like everytime someone has something to say about our team getting away with games by the skin of their teeth, that they are personally attacking the players. Could the coaching improve, yes. Could the play improve, yes. Should we have blown out ISU, OSU, KSU, Texas Tech, Nebraska, and Mizzou, yes. You've pumped all the sunshine I can handle on this board, take it somewhere else. Baseball got beat 12-2 yesterday, go find some good in that!

colleyvillesooner
3/2/2006, 12:46 AM
Jay I'm curious, are you blind to the fact that we absolutely blew the Kansas game and the Nebraska game? That we got humiliated by Mizzou on our floor. That we had close encounters (1 point wins) with teams that are currently 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th in the Big 12 Standings. There's a difference between "taking jabs" at the team and criticizing continuous games in which we play down to the other team's level, or we don't play to our potential. Please quit acting like everytime someone has something to say about our team getting away with games by the skin of their teeth, that they are personally attacking the players. Could the coaching improve, yes. Could the play improve, yes. Should we have blown out ISU, OSU, KSU, Texas Tech, Nebraska, and Mizzou, yes. You've pumped all the sunshine I can handle on this board, take it somewhere else. Baseball got beat 12-2 yesterday, go find some good in that!

We hashed out the KU, MU and NU games to death already.

AustinTXHorn
3/2/2006, 01:09 AM
Rough game. Poor coaching at the end and not really anybody showed up tonight.

I'm not too ****ed as long as we beat OU and get A&M back in the Big 12 Tourney.

It all depends on whether or not Aldridge shows up I guess. Some games, he's amazing. Big games. Other big games, he's awful. Tonight he was awful. It also doesn't help when Tucker starts doing dumb stuff left and right out of frustration. Didn't deserve to win tonight. Just no clue how it can be such a Jekyll and Hyde team. One day, they look like a Final Four team. The next, they look like a bottomfeeder.

I really don't see any way that Tucker and Gibson go pro after this year. Maybe it's just me talking after a loss, but Tucker isn't anywhere near being ready mentally and Gibson just isn't ready overall.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/2/2006, 01:30 AM
We know about Jekyll and Hyde, don't worry.

Octavian
3/2/2006, 01:34 AM
Rough game. Poor coaching at the end and not really anybody showed up tonight.

I'm not too ****ed as long as we beat OU and get A&M back in the Big 12 Tourney.

It all depends on whether or not Aldridge shows up I guess. Some games, he's amazing. Big games. Other big games, he's awful. Tonight he was awful. It also doesn't help when Tucker starts doing dumb stuff left and right out of frustration. Didn't deserve to win tonight. Just no clue how it can be such a Jekyll and Hyde team. One day, they look like a Final Four team. The next, they look like a bottomfeeder.

I really don't see any way that Tucker and Gibson go pro after this year. Maybe it's just me talking after a loss, but Tucker isn't anywhere near being ready mentally and Gibson just isn't ready overall.

still not worried about OU?

AustinTXHorn
3/2/2006, 01:37 AM
still not worried about OU?
Honestly, not too much. They will be fired up and ready to go for senior night and with the conference title on the line. I wasn't worried about the KU game after two straight terrible performances on the road.

I will definitely be here even if we lose to eat my words, but I'm not all that worried about it.

Octavian
3/2/2006, 01:41 AM
We'll need to get out to a good start and we'll need Neal to get back on track.

Getting Aldridge in foul trouble wouldnt hurt either

Ardmore_Sooner
3/2/2006, 01:42 AM
We are going to have to play lights out and not try to run our "run the clock" offense if we are up late in the game.

Jay C. Upchurch
3/2/2006, 02:31 AM

Those games you mentioned are over and done with. And no matter how much you want to bellyache about them, or play the blame game — it's not going to change the outcome. You're just going to have to try to live with it.

Maybe if you took the time to read my posts instead of whining about every game OU has lost since 1973 you'd know I have talked about how this team's defense has been inconsistent and how its intensity level has waned at some key moments in certain games. I realize this team has not played up to its potential at times, and yet it is still 20-6 with 11 wins in its last 13 games.

Sorry if my choosing to see those numbers as a positive offend your delicate psyche. I guess you either need to get yourself a pair of sunglasses or quit reading anything I post.

TripleOption14
3/2/2006, 03:15 AM
How HUGE are those RIDICULOUS losses OU had to Nebraska, Mizzou, and Kansas now? :rolleyes: This team could have won conf. easy!! Oh well, prehaps this will be the kick in the balls that this team obviously needs!!

yermom
3/2/2006, 03:25 AM
well, Nebraska and Mizzou were without Neal

a healthy Neal all season and we are probably Big 12 Champs right now

ouflak
3/2/2006, 04:55 AM
Very, very doubtful that A&M even really comes close. Maybe at some point they'll get on a run to get it back down to single digits briefly, but that little flirt with fantasy will quickly be gone like a sheep that's spotted an Aggie on the horizon.

Well I guess I was wrong about this one! (Not the sheep part, there I was dead-on correct).

colleyvillesooner
3/2/2006, 10:26 AM
well, Nebraska and Mizzou were without Neal

a healthy Neal all season and we are probably Big 12 Champs right now

No doubt.

colleyvillesooner
3/2/2006, 10:27 AM
I will definitely be here even if we lose to eat my words, but I'm not all that worried about it.

Get your knife and fork ready. How do you like your words cooked? :D

Herr Scholz
3/2/2006, 11:19 AM
We didn't show any toughness last night. They out-physicaled us. Very disappointing. I was there too. Unenjoyable.

NormanPride
3/2/2006, 11:25 AM
You guys haven't showed much toughness in most of your games. Tucker is about the only one I see willing to get in there and muscle people around. Buckman is better than he used to be, Aldridge is a disgrace to tall people. No, he doesn't suck. Yes, he's really good. Yes, he could be so much more if he got more aggressive.

3/2/2006, 11:44 AM
Herr, did you see me? I was the tall guy sitting at baseline with the camera.

Herr Scholz
3/2/2006, 11:58 AM
No, but I wasn't looking. I was too busy crying about the refs swallowing their whistles. ;)

Herr Scholz
3/2/2006, 12:03 PM
You guys haven't showed much toughness in most of your games. Tucker is about the only one I see willing to get in there and muscle people around. Buckman is better than he used to be, Aldridge is a disgrace to tall people. No, he doesn't suck. Yes, he's really good. Yes, he could be so much more if he got more aggressive.
I agree. Aldridge flat out disappeared last night. He, in particular, needs to develop some agressiveness. Tucker is the only one who shows up consistently. I felt bad for him with that bonehead play at the end, he was upset about it. Buckman's hit or miss. Gibson doesn't seem to care half the time.

This team could beat anybody as well as lose to anybody. We didn't deserve to win last night, that's for sure.

Sooner04
3/2/2006, 12:15 PM
I think it became pretty evident last night why Tucker was ineligible for the '05 spring semester.

AustinTXHorn
3/2/2006, 12:22 PM
I don't think you exist. I semi-look for you every time I go to College Station and I've never seen you.

04...Tucker proved that he's not mentally ready for the NBA. If college defenders are getting him that frustrated, then he's going to have a heart attack in the NBA.

Herr Scholz
3/2/2006, 12:34 PM
I think it became pretty evident last night why Tucker was ineligible for the '05 spring semester.
Actually, that was because he'd sit in class with his headphones on.

3/2/2006, 01:09 PM
I don't think you exist. I semi-look for you every time I go to College Station and I've never seen you.

I'll throw a horse turd on you next time.

AustinTXHorn
3/2/2006, 02:10 PM
I'll throw a horse turd on you next time.
:texan: