PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Project Origami

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2006, 04:38 AM
So, Microsoft is supposedly set to officially announce something known as Project Origami on March 2nd. Its been kept a secret apparently, and "it" is some sort of portable all-in-one media center. Like a super PDA or stripped down laptop. I don't know. I guess we'll find out this week, but here is the leaked promotional video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV1WGDW37c0&search=project%20origami

Mjcpr
3/1/2006, 09:47 AM
Word on the SO is the interest in this is waning.

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 09:50 AM
Word on the SO is that mj is on his way out, GM isn't happy with his performance and is trading him to www.ostate.com.

Mjcpr
3/1/2006, 09:53 AM
Mj cain't do everthang.

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/leon.jpg

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 09:54 AM
ymssra...

BudSooner
3/1/2006, 10:06 AM
Word on the street is that it is tied to the next generation George Foreman grill. I seriously got nuthin.

BeetDigger
3/1/2006, 11:09 AM
It's actually BOB v 2.0.

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 11:11 AM
That thing succs.

30 somethings with more money than sense will love it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/1/2006, 12:22 PM
i saw something on the intranet about it. i didn't bother to read it...

OklahomaTrombone
3/1/2006, 12:27 PM
its friggin huge.

yermom
3/1/2006, 12:31 PM
the only thing that looks cool about that thing is that it looks like it might have some sort of wireless broadband access... but that could just be GPRS or something over Bluetooth to that dude's cellphone

looks kinda like the oqo (http://www.oqo.com) without the integrated keyboard, and more buttons on the outside

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/1/2006, 12:45 PM
I fired up my Coleco over the weekend.

Man, that things screams...

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 12:52 PM
the only thing that looks cool about that thing is that it looks like it might have some sort of wireless broadband access... but that could just be GPRS or something over Bluetooth to that dude's cellphone

looks kinda like the oqo (http://www.oqo.com) without the integrated keyboard, and more buttons on the outside

Playing CounterStrike in the airport like that would RMFO.

NormanPride
3/1/2006, 01:30 PM
I want 12 already.

crawfish
3/1/2006, 01:39 PM
Guaranteed, that is going to cause me significant pain in the future.

Ike
3/1/2006, 02:14 PM
I don't get it...it's just an electronic etch-a-sketch.

Mjcpr
3/1/2006, 02:18 PM
Guaranteed, that is going to cost me significant $$$ in the future.

More than likely.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2006, 02:29 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060301/tc_usatoday/mysteriousorigamibymicrosofttotakeonipod

By Byron Acohido, USA TODAY Wed Mar 1, 7:22 AM ET

Tech industry analysts expect Microsoft to announce design details on Thursday for a new device for on-the-go computing, code-named Origami.

Tech-related blogs have been buzzing about Origami - part iPod-killer, part handheld video gaming device, part souped-up BlackBerry- since last week.

The buzz began after an advertising agency, DigitalKitchen, posted a four-minute commercial clip at a popular video website showing a prototype Origami being used to surf the Web, download music and videos, play the popular Halo video game and work on multimedia projects.

The appearance of the commercial roughly coincided with Microsoft's posting of a Web page, origamiproject.com, cryptically promising details about Origami on Thursday.

DigitalKitchen referred all questions to Microsoft's public relations firm, Waggener Edstrom.

Kathleen Callaghan, a Waggener Edstrom spokeswoman, acknowledged that Microsoft paid to have the commercial - viewable at youtube.com- produced about a year ago for internal use only.

She said it depicts "possible uses and scenarios" for Origami.

Microsoft executives have outlined Origami's basic design at two prominent developer conferences in recent months. Tech industry analysts anticipate that Microsoft will release design criteria to device manufacturers Thursday.

It is widely expected to be no larger than 10 inches, equipped with a full version of the Windows desktop PC operating system and priced from $500 to $800.

Much like the Windows Tablet PCs Microsoft introduced in 2000, the Origami will be operated with a penlike stylus, though it may also be available with an optional mini-keyboard.

Analyst Matt Rosoff at Directions on Microsoft says the device might be appealing to mainstream consumers.

"It's targeted at the consumer laptop market, which has been growing like crazy for the last two years," he says.

Origami could also help the software giant close the gap on two hot-selling competitors: Apple's iPod music and video player and Sony's PlayStation Portable gaming console.

But by trying to be all things to all consumers, Origami may find it difficult to earn "cool" points, predicts Piper Jaffray tech industry analyst Gene Munster.

"Consumers are generally bashful about trying technology they don't understand," Munster says. "Ultimately, this will prove to be a marginally accepted product."