PDA

View Full Version : awesome....

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 08:36 PM
I just opened up the box to the Dyson dc-14 I bought for my wife, hoping to get it put together before she gets home from class. The contents of the box? 2 phone books and a Eureka Boss bagless vacuum. I'm sure it won't be a huge pain in the *** to return this thing to Lowe's tomorrow.:mad:

OUinFLA
2/28/2006, 08:44 PM
Just how does Dyson expect someone who isn't on the ball like you to not notice?
Perhaps that shipment was supposed to have been sent to Stillwater.

BeetDigger
2/28/2006, 08:48 PM
Whoever retuned that totally screwed Lowes. Nice touch. Buy a $500 vacuum and a $100 vacuum. Put the cheap vacuum into the box of the expensive vacuum, along with some phone books to make the weight correct and return to Lowes. Get money back on the $500 vacuum. And, by buying them at the same time, you can have a good excuse ready in case they check the box and find out what you have done.

wa-la: A $500 vacuum for $100. Brilliant. Way to stick it to the man.

Penguin
2/28/2006, 08:51 PM
That is one sharp eye you got there, Andy.

yermom
2/28/2006, 08:52 PM
Whoever retuned that totally screwed Lowes. Nice touch. Buy a $500 vacuum and a $100 vacuum. Put the cheap vacuum into the box of the expensive vacuum, along with some phone books to make the weight correct and return to Lowes. Get money back on the $500 vacuum. And, by buying them at the same time, you can have a good excuse ready in case they check the box and find out what you have done.

why even put the $100 vacuum in the box? :D

Penguin
2/28/2006, 08:54 PM
Don't they usually look in the box before they take it back?

Czar Soonerov
2/28/2006, 08:59 PM
That really sucks.

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 08:59 PM
Don't they usually look in the box before they take it back?

apparently not.

Penguin
2/28/2006, 09:05 PM
apparently not.

Cool. I'm going to return my new dryer to Lowe's.

I'll fill the box full of dead kittens. :D

LoyalFan
2/28/2006, 09:06 PM
I just opened up the box to the Dyson dc-14 I bought for my wife, hoping to get it put together before she gets home from class. The contents of the box? 2 phone books and a Eureka Boss bagless vacuum. I'm sure it won't be a huge pain in the *** to return this thing to Lowe's tomorrow.:mad:

Andrew,

Is it too much to hope that you haven't left fingerprints on the goods since you opened the box? It's possible that Lowe's might suspect YOU of wrongdoing.
By now, you should have called Lowe's and informed them of the matter. If they are still open...go NOW! (Assuming geographics are workable.)
Also, if the SOBs that pulled this stunt left their names, via credit card receipt, etc, AND left prints on the books and/or cheap vac...Bingo!
I'd press this to the MAX and so should Lowe's!
I can't help but suspect Katrina refugees here.

Good luck,

L.Fan
Kenmore user since 1996

SoonerInFla
2/28/2006, 09:07 PM
Years ago my buddy bought a TV from a flea market in Houston. They had a stack of what were supposed to be new TVs' in a box. He got home and didn't get much viewing pleasure from his $100 bricks.

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 09:22 PM
I just called and they seemed like they were going to be cool about it. These places will usually write this kind of crap off in order to keep customers, so we'll see.

Also, I've had to deal with Home Depot and Lowes quite a bit for work, so heres a tip for you: The management of the store mainly cares about the performance of their one store. If you get into a situation where a shortsighted manager is not treating you fairly on anything, Call Corporate. They hate it. It looks bad for them and in most cases corporate will make them eat the costs of the dispute, no matter how assinine the claim (the one time I've actually done this, the manager of the home depot was so wrong it wasn't even funny)

BeetDigger
2/28/2006, 10:05 PM
why even put the $100 vacuum in the box? :D

They didn't know whether the clerk would look in the box or not upon returning it. This way, they can act innocent if the clerk does look in the box. If not, they are home free. Which they are.

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2006, 10:09 PM
They didn't know whether the clerk would look in the box or not upon returning it. This way, they can act innocent if the clerk does look in the box. If not, they are home free. Which they are.
That's assuming they used a fake name to return it. A lot of times they take ID info for returns. I hope somebody get's nailed, but I suspect it wont happen.

GottaHavePride
2/28/2006, 11:20 PM

Even with the phone books inside to make up the weight difference?

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 11:24 PM
That really sucks.

boo!!!!!!!!

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 11:26 PM

the word is "voila"

yermom
2/28/2006, 11:48 PM
i think you mean "viola"

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 11:54 PM
i think you mean "viola"
what's the difference between a violin and a viola?

violas burn longer :D

OklahomaTrombone
3/1/2006, 12:03 AM
I knew a guy that tried this trick with a TV at Wal-Mart.

He almost got away with it until the customer service girl tilted the box and the rocks moved.

OU4LIFE
3/1/2006, 07:57 AM

in my experience, most of the people that work at our local lowes, wouldn't know a Dyson from a Eureka anyhow.....so put one in, they see a vacuum and think it's the right one.

the guy that did that deserves a throat punching.

and I doubt they purchased two to pull this off, they just pulled the dyson box out of the trash somewhere and threw in an old vacuum and went to lowes.

Okieflyer
3/1/2006, 08:17 AM

OUAndy, you must not have been married that long. You should never say "I bought for my wife" when talking about vacuums, irons, etc. :D

Even if it really was for your wife.;)

By the way which Lowe's?

Okieflyer
3/1/2006, 08:23 AM
I just called and they seemed like they were going to be cool about it. These places will usually write this kind of crap off in order to keep customers, so we'll see.

Yes they will.

Also, I've had to deal with Home Depot and Lowes quite a bit for work, so heres a tip for you: The management of the store mainly cares about the performance of their one store. If you get into a situation where a shortsighted manager is not treating you fairly on anything, Call Corporate. They hate it. It looks bad for them and in most cases corporate will make them eat the costs of the dispute, no matter how assinine the claim (the one time I've actually done this, the manager of the home depot was so wrong it wasn't even funny)

Absolutely true.;)

sanantoniosooner
3/1/2006, 09:03 AM
and I doubt they purchased two to pull this off, they just pulled the dyson box out of the trash somewhere and threw in an old vacuum and went to lowes.
I don't know about two purchases, it could have been an old vac in the new box, but there's no way they get away with this with no receipts. You have to provide identification for a return with no receipt.

I can't believe they didn't check the box. They almost always do in the case of an opened box, even if it's just to make sure accessories are all present. I wont purchase anything in a previously opened box without checking it out in the store.

OUAndy1807
3/1/2006, 09:09 AM
took it back without a hitch. Store manager came over and apologized profusely. Just proves my theory that Lowes customer service is way better than HD's.

Don't get me wrong, I was never worried that they wouldn't give me the right product, but they could have made it a lot tougher.

sanantoniosooner
3/1/2006, 09:17 AM
took it back without a hitch. Store manager came over and apologized profusely. Just proves my theory that Lowes customer service is way better than HD's.

Don't get me wrong, I was never worried that they wouldn't give me the right product, but they could have made it a lot tougher.
I'm a contractor and both can be angels or a-holes depending on which store.

I spend thousands in those stores and I've had them fight me over a defective $10 product(Lowes). And I've had them take back a $200 product that was already a few months old(HD).

Best thing to do is to strike up a relationship with someone in mgmt.

OUAndy1807
3/1/2006, 09:28 AM
I'm a contractor and both can be angels or a-holes depending on which store.

I spend thousands in those stores and I've had them fight me over a defective $10 product(Lowes). And I've had them take back a $200 product that was already a few months old(HD).

Best thing to do is to strike up a relationship with someone in mgmt.

yeah, I know what you mean, it just seems like the HD's around here have a lot more turnover and are a lot less concerned with customer service.

I didn't even have to pull out the "I'm responsible for over $500,000.00 worth of lumber sales for your company last year" card, but believe me, I would have.

BeetDigger
3/1/2006, 09:53 AM
Even with the phone books inside to make up the weight difference?

Ok, my theory may have some holes in it, but were not talking about stealing the Mona Lisa or robbing Fort Knox. This is just Lowes. :D

the word is "voila"

I grew up saying Wa-La. We didn't have any of those fancy stringed instruments in my little home town. :D

Don't you Wonder Twins have some homework to do? :mack: