PDA

View Full Version : What are you giving up for lent?

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 01:58 PM
I think I'm going big this year:
No meat for 40 days.

Now, let the jokes begin about:
1) some kind of sexual joke about giving up meat
2) that you're giving up something gay, gross, etc...

TopDaugIn2000
2/28/2006, 02:00 PM
I always hated when my friends gave up meat for lent....made eating out AND me cooking NOT FUN!

and I'll never truly understand why fish is not considered meat.

Hatfield
2/28/2006, 02:01 PM
losing weight.

OklahomaTrombone
2/28/2006, 02:02 PM
I always hated when my friends gave up meat for lent....made ating out/me cooking NOT FUN!

and I'll never truly understand why fish is not considered meat.

I read that part waaaaay to fast

Widescreen
2/28/2006, 02:02 PM
Lint.

TopDaugIn2000
2/28/2006, 02:03 PM
yikes. corrected

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 02:07 PM
Alcohol.

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 02:08 PM
I don't believe in lent.

Pieces Hit
2/28/2006, 02:09 PM
lentil beans

boomersooner28
2/28/2006, 02:09 PM
I don't believe in lent.

I'm with Dean.

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 02:13 PM
I don't believe in lent.
do you believe in hell?;)

Fugue
2/28/2006, 02:13 PM
Lint.

:mad:

boomersooner28
2/28/2006, 02:14 PM

yeah, I live with her.

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 02:15 PM

Sure, all those people who partied till they puke up through today, then quit for 40 days in the name of "religion" got front row seats.

BeetDigger
2/28/2006, 02:17 PM
I think I'm going big this year:
No meat for 40 days.

But I will eat my pudding.

Now, let the jokes begin:

"How can you eat your pudding if you don't eat your meat."

:mack:

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 02:19 PM
read the winkie and weap, boys.

I agree with you Dean, and I'm not into just giving something meaningless up for 40 days just to do it. I always pick something that I have been meaning to give up or cut back on anyway.

Pieces Hit
2/28/2006, 02:23 PM
I always want paid back what was lent and never give up.

skycat
2/28/2006, 02:29 PM
I always want paid back what was lent and never give up.

Neither a borrower nor a lenter be?

mdklatt
2/28/2006, 02:45 PM
Do all Christian denonominations observe Lent or what? It seems to be mostly a Catholic thing.

NormanPride
2/28/2006, 02:46 PM
Lentils.

Hamhock
2/28/2006, 02:53 PM
Do all Christian denonominations observe Lent or what? It seems to be mostly a Catholic thing.

No

mdklatt
2/28/2006, 02:56 PM
No

No they don't observe it, or no it's not mostly a Catholic thing?

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 03:02 PM
i don't get the point of Lent. if you're going to give something up to better yourself, why don't you just do it anyway? or do you just need some extra encouragement from guilt or fear?

It just seems to me that's treating religion kinda like a monster in your closet. "Better eat your lima beans or the boogeyman will get you!"

skycat
2/28/2006, 03:02 PM
Mostly Catholic.

skycat
2/28/2006, 03:04 PM
i don't get the point of Lent. if you're going to give something up to better yourself, why don't you just do it anyway? or do you just need some extra encouragement from guilt or fear?

It just seems to me that's treating religion kinda like a monster in your closet. "Better eat your lima beans or the boogeyman will get you!"

I don't think the point is to give up something to better yourself. I think the point is to sacrifice something. Similar to how numerous religions include fasting as part of the observance of significant events.

NormanPride
2/28/2006, 03:06 PM
I've always thought that the Lord would rather me be happy eating ice cream than have me give it up just to prove that I love Him, when he already knows I do. :)

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 03:06 PM
I don't think the point is to give up something to better yourself. I think the point is to sacrifice something. Similar to how numerous religions include fasting as part of the observance of signifigant events.

right, and what would the point of the sacrifice be...? probably somehow in the long run it breaks down to bettering yourself. at least that's the way i've heard it explained.

Widescreen
2/28/2006, 03:10 PM
I don't think any protestant denominations do this, although I'm sure someone will correct me if that's wrong.

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 03:12 PM

So you subscribe to a Christian religion that doesn't believe in the 10 commandments? I would think the same argument could be made with them.

My take is this: it started out as a time of reflection, where you look at yourself and decide what you can do to make yourself better (something you can implement even after lent is over). Over time, people screwed it up (surprise, surprise) and simplified it to "Give something up because God wants you to"

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 03:13 PM
I think Lutherans do also, but I've yet to understand why they worship Luther Vandross.

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 03:15 PM
I've always thought that the Lord would rather me be happy committing hate crimes than have me give it up just to prove that I love Him, when he already knows I do. :)

Does the argument still hold water?;)

Widescreen
2/28/2006, 03:15 PM
I think Lutherans do also, but I've yet to understand why they worship Luther Vandross.
Really? I thought it was Lex Luthor. :confused:

Sooner_Bob
2/28/2006, 03:16 PM
I don't believe in lent.

Same here . . .

Mjcpr
2/28/2006, 03:17 PM
Didn't we have a lent thread about this time last year that ****ed off a few people?

Good times.

Hamhock
2/28/2006, 03:18 PM
Better than a thread of lint.

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 03:19 PM
So you subscribe to a Christian religion that doesn't believe in the 10 commandments? I would think the same argument could be made with them.

My take is this: it started out as a time of reflection, where you look at yourself and decide what you can do to make yourself better (something you can implement even after lent is over). Over time, people screwed it up (surprise, surprise) and simplified it to "Give something up because God wants you to"

I don't subscribe to a religion, period. and frankly, I think the 10 commandments are silly too. one should pretty much cover it. "Thou shalt not be a bloody stupid wanker."

Beef
2/28/2006, 03:21 PM
I'm giving up Chinese tacos for lent...unless the opportunity to partake in Chinese tacos comes about. I'll be content burning in hell if that happens.

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 03:21 PM
I don't subscribe to a religion, period. and frankly, I think the 10 commandments are silly too. one should pretty much cover it. "Thou shalt not be a bloody stupid wanker."

There is only the one you mentioned. The 10 that Moses carried down off the mountain are merely sub-sections under the umbrella commandment.

skycat
2/28/2006, 03:23 PM
right, and what would the point of the sacrifice be...? probably somehow in the long run it breaks down to bettering yourself. at least that's the way i've heard it explained.

I think that sacrifice isn't really about bettering yourself, and more about showing your defferance to a higher power.

After all giving up food entirely isn't good for you.

Sooner_Bob

While a great code to live by, think about when the 10 Commandments were given to Moses and why they were given. Not so that a church could justify guilting people into feeling less of a person, but so that Moses could provide the people with the rules God set up for them to stay in the covenant with him, continue to receive his blessings and to get to/stay in the "promised land".

That's great, but I've never understood how doing something like that for a seemingly short period of time automatically erases your bad habits/sins. The only thing that can do that is the blood of Jesus Christ. Since it was shed on the cross over 2000 years ago there's really no point.

You can choose to better yourself any day of the year. This is like those people who only attend church on Easter. I'm sure God appreciates the effort, but that one Sunday isn't the trump card for missing the others.

/rant over :D

Beef
one should pretty much cover it. "Thou shalt not be a bloody stupid wanker."
My wankers pretty much always stupid. If it's bloody, there are some major problems.

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 03:24 PM
I think that sacrifice isn't really about bettering yourself, and more about showing your defferance to a higher power.

After all giving up food entirely isn't good for you.
and the point of deferring to a higher power is....?

mdklatt
2/28/2006, 03:25 PM
I'm giving up Chinese tacos for lent

You can't technically give up something you're not getting can you?

NormanPride
2/28/2006, 03:26 PM
Does the argument still hold water?;)

...What?

Sooner_Bob
2/28/2006, 03:26 PM
and the point of deffering to a higher power is....?

To fix my sammich woman!!!

:P

skycat
2/28/2006, 03:27 PM
and the point of deffering to a higher power is....?

I don't think that it follows from such defferance that you should have to sacrifice something (food, meat, cigarettes, whatever) all of the time in order to be consistant with a belief system. Which is more or less what the post I first responded to implied.

mdklatt
2/28/2006, 03:29 PM
While a great code to live by, think about when the 10 Commandments were given to Moses and why they were given. Not so that a church could justify guilting people into feeling less of a person, but so that Moses could provide the people with the rules God set up for them to stay in the covenant with him, continue to receive his blessings and to get to/stay in the "promised land".

Why did God bother even bother with the Ten Commandments? That's only a miniscule subset of the rules specified in the Bible. Just following the Ten Commandments isn't enough, is it?

Hamhock
2/28/2006, 03:31 PM
The purpose of God's law is to show how Holy He is. Today, the law only magnifies the fact that we can't please God on our own and require a Saviour.

And no, following the 10 commandments isn't enough. Jesus stated that if you check out ta-ta's, you've committed adultery.

mdklatt
2/28/2006, 03:37 PM
And no, following the 10 commandments isn't enough.

Then why did God bother with them?

Here are a few rules to keep you busy while I finish the whole list.

Fugue
2/28/2006, 03:38 PM

I knew it.
The British are the chosen ones.

Fugue
2/28/2006, 03:41 PM
Really? I thought it was Lex Luthor. :confused:

close, Lex Luger.

Herr Scholz
2/28/2006, 03:44 PM
I'm giving up sobriety. It's not good for me.

Hamhock
2/28/2006, 03:45 PM

The commandments and related sacrifices/rituals were foreshadowing of the coming Christ. The 10 are pretty comprehensive, the rest build from these 10.

Fish
2/28/2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by mdklatt

United Methodist...ok well some UM's do.

Last year I gave up soda and actually kept away from it until my untimely layoff in Dec.

This year it's gonna be soda and (gasp...) FAST FOOD!!!

Sooner_Bob
2/28/2006, 03:50 PM
Why did God bother even bother with the Ten Commandments? That's only a miniscule subset of the rules specified in the Bible. Just following the Ten Commandments isn't enough, is it?

IMO when God delivered the people from slavery He felt they needed guidance and direction. Just as we still do today. We've been given the bible as a plan to live by and should do our best to use it.

colleyvillesooner
2/28/2006, 03:52 PM
And no, following the 10 commandments isn't enough. Jesus stated that if you check out ta-ta's, you've committed adultery.

http://bibleresources.bible.com/keywordsearchresults.php?keyword=ta+ta%27s&multiplemethod=phrase&version1=31&numpageresults=25&sortorder=bookorder

I didn't think so ;)

Fugue
2/28/2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.archive.vexed.co.uk/vexed2005/mens_site/pics/sigh-final.jpg

is that a fart cloud? cause if your's can express feeling, then you're a flippin' genius. :texan: :eddie:

I really like this new Calvin Simpson smilie. :kelvin:

Ike
2/28/2006, 03:53 PM
I'm just giving up.

Hamhock
2/28/2006, 03:54 PM
http://bibleresources.bible.com/keywordsearchresults.php?keyword=ta+ta%27s&multiplemethod=phrase&version1=31&numpageresults=25&sortorder=bookorder

I didn't think so ;)

Dang..maybe it was "hooblers"??

Fugue
2/28/2006, 03:54 PM
I'm just giving up.

bluhee wanker ;)

Sooner_Bob
2/28/2006, 03:57 PM
I'm just giving up.

Come back Ike.

BeetDigger
2/28/2006, 04:02 PM
"How can you eat your pudding if you don't eat your meat."

:mack:

Come on people, this was good stuff. What, no one here listens to Pink Floyd?

Widescreen
2/28/2006, 04:06 PM
Dang..maybe it was "hooblers"??
My translation uses "fun bags".

Scott D
2/28/2006, 04:14 PM
I'm amazed a thread about something to do with religion has gotten through more than half a second page without handcrafted chiming in.

as for 'protestant' religions, Episcopalians participate in Lent, along with getting the cross of soot on the forehead on Ash Wednesday.

mdklatt
2/28/2006, 04:17 PM
as for 'protestant' religions, Episcopalians participate in Lent, along with getting the cross of soot on the forehead on Ash Wednesday.

Episcopalian = Catholic Lite

Hamhock
2/28/2006, 04:17 PM
Where does the Bible talk about lent?

Harry Beanbag
2/28/2006, 04:20 PM
Lent is just a way for churches to drum up attendance and offerings. Kind of like all the fake holidays (Mother's/Father's Day, Valentine's Day, etc.) are there to encourage people to spend money.

I'm too cynical to get along with organized religion.

TopDaugIn2000
2/28/2006, 04:47 PM
"What are you giving up for lent?"

prostitution

oh wait....

SoonerInKCMO
2/28/2006, 05:50 PM
I'm giving up booze and nudie bars.

I'm not even religious - just want to fit in. :)

slickdawg
2/28/2006, 06:02 PM

My exact statement. :D

Octavian
2/28/2006, 06:42 PM
And no, following the 10 Commandments isn't enough.

Sounds like He changed His mind...

Does that mean He can make mistakes?

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 07:02 PM

Can God make a rock so big he can't lift it? :D

GottaHavePride
2/28/2006, 07:24 PM
Can God make a rock so big he can't lift it? :D

Careful now, pondering questions like that might end existence as we know it and replace it with something even more bizarre. Wait, too late. Carry on.

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2006, 07:26 PM
Isn't lent a Catholic thing?

I'm not giving up a damned thing.

TopDaugIn2000
2/28/2006, 07:43 PM
Isn't lent a Catholic thing?

I'm not giving up a damned thing.

atta boy!!!!
I always REALLY enjoyed being baptist around all my catholic friends during this time.

slickdawg
2/28/2006, 07:56 PM
Protestants ROOL! :D

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2006, 07:57 PM
atta boy!!!!
I always REALLY enjoyed being baptist around all my catholic friends during this time.

And I'm Methodist so you know I'm not doing anything right.
Now, pass me a beer on the way to the bar.

royalfan5
2/28/2006, 08:02 PM
Being from a small heavily Lutheran Community in Nebraska. I had no idea people even gave stuff up for lent till I was a senior in High School. I was surprised by this.

royalfan5
2/28/2006, 08:04 PM
Most Lutherans do not give stuff up for Lent. Some do because they try to fit in, but stuff like that was tossed out with a bunch of other stuff when we split from the Catholics.

Mixer!
2/28/2006, 09:06 PM
I'm giving up the same thing I give up every year....

self denial. :D :eddie: http://screamingtiger.com/farkitbb/images/smilies/critical.jpg

LoyalFan
2/28/2006, 09:09 PM
I'm giving up celibacy, but reserve the right to drink more to compensate!
LF

TopDaugIn2000
2/28/2006, 09:32 PM
Being from a small heavily Lutheran Community in Nebraska. I had no idea people even gave stuff up for lent till I was a senior in High School. I was surprised by this.

I knew nothing about it 'til college.

Scott D
2/28/2006, 10:44 PM

if by Catholic Lite you mean 'kissing the pope's *** to get back in Catholicism's good graces' I would agree...they mighta had a chance except for that whole openly gay Bishop in New England thing.

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 11:38 PM
can we set up a system so all you people giving up stuff for lent can send it to us heathens?

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 11:48 PM
are you asking for my meat?

KaiserSooner
3/1/2006, 12:03 AM
Sure, all those people who partied till they puke up through today, then quit for 40 days in the name of "religion" got front row seats.

:D

You know, I disagree with, oh, I'd say 99.9% of the bs you spew, but your cynicism RE: organized religion is on target.

OUTromBoNado
3/1/2006, 02:34 AM
"What are you giving up for lent?"

prostitution

oh wait....

You mean you're going to stop practicing it?

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2006, 02:37 AM
The weird thing is that I'd never heard of lent and nobody in town ever practiced lent until about my senior year when there was a "lent craze." And everyone started talking about lent and what they were going to give up.

I've decided lent is nothing more than a useless trend that ranks right up there with the New Year's Resolution.

(unless you're Catholic)

crawfish
3/1/2006, 08:49 AM
I'm giving up Catholicism for Lent.

Perhaps this will get better play in this thread.

Hamhock
3/1/2006, 09:08 AM

I don't follow, how did He change his mind? No, He doesn't make mistakes.

Sooner_Bob
3/1/2006, 09:44 AM
I'm giving up Catholicism for Lent.

Perhaps this will get better play in this thread.

I doubt it.

crawfish
3/1/2006, 10:17 AM
I doubt it.

I'm giving up my pride and self-respect for Lent.

handcrafted
3/1/2006, 11:18 AM
Lent: Orthodox, Roman, Lutheran, Anglican thingy. Part of their liturgical calendar. All these traditions developed over 2000 years and it's really hard sometimes to figure out exactly where they came from.

Most other Protestants don't do Lent, because the concept is tied up in Catholic doctrines of penance, and most reject that, and the whole idea of a "liturgical calendar" in the first place. If you're a Presbyterian/Methodist/Baptist/whatever else, and you want to practice Lent, that's fine, it's just a personal choice, not an official church thing.

The 10 Commandments are really 2 commandments broken into subheadings, as Dean said. 1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength: a) have no other gods before Him, b) don't make idols, c) don't take the Lord's name in vain, d) keep the Sabbath holy.

2) Love your neighbor as yourself: a) honor your father and your mother, b) don't murder, c) don't commit adultery, d) don't steal, e) don't lie, f) don't be envious.

Both Moses, and later Jesus, expounded on these during sermons or speeches. Moses' exposition is primarily found in Deuteronomy, and Jesus' is primarily found in the Sermon on the Mount (most often quoted from Matthew chs. 5-7.)

I don't happen to find them silly at all. Do you think we'd be better off if everyone lived by them?