PDA

View Full Version : The Kevin Bookout dunk at the end of the game.

outuba
2/28/2006, 01:03 AM
Okay most people have heard from ESPN, whiney OSUcks fans or whornfans that the Kevin Bookout dunk at the end was about an 8 step walk down the court. But what makes this travel any different from a player running between 2 to 3 defenders to lay it up or dunk it?

Perhaps the fact that it was at the end of the game? or it gave OU the lead? or because he was a senior and the refs didnt want to call it?

Whatever you wanna think of it....it was still ONE HELL OF A DUNK especially by a senior.

Congrats Bookout, you will be missed.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/28/2006, 01:08 AM
pretty much all open court dunks are a travel. on just about all of them you'll see one step and then a jump stop where both feet don't hit the floor at the same time.

usmc-sooner
2/28/2006, 01:11 AM
I remember when Patrick Ewing would quit dribbling at half court and dunk and it never got called.

Soonerus
2/28/2006, 01:11 AM
I don't think he walked...

kelloggOUballa
2/28/2006, 01:13 AM
it wasn't a walk

usmc-sooner
2/28/2006, 01:15 AM
what's the rule on walking is it two steps? I have no clue

Soonerus
2/28/2006, 01:16 AM
The rule is if the referee calls walking it is, if not ,it is not....

outuba
2/28/2006, 01:17 AM
i dont think it was a walk either...its much like running through 2 defenders and then dunking it, just it was at the end of the game and time was running out.

usmc-sooner
2/28/2006, 01:18 AM
no I mean officially you can take two steps right?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/28/2006, 01:19 AM
the traveling rule is pretty complicated because it depends on the situation you are in. however, the general rule is that you are allowed 2 1/2 steps.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/28/2006, 01:21 AM
the rule that applies to bookout is the "jump stop rule". this states that on the 2nd step, both feet can come to the ground at the same time and it counts as one step, however they have to hit and leave at the same time. this rule is the one that refs hardly ever call, which made this a good play...

usmc-sooner
2/28/2006, 01:22 AM
so when you say the situation does that have anything to with when he actually controlled the ball, if that's the case then it was a pretty good no call.

bigdsooner
I remember when Patrick Ewing would quit dribbling at half court and dunk and it never got called.

yup, me too.

it wasnt a travel, even if it was, it was against "the states basketball school":rolleyes: . im happy

Soonerus
"good" play , you mean GREAT PLAY !!!!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/28/2006, 01:27 AM
so when you say the situation does that have anything to with when he actually controlled the ball, if that's the case then it was a pretty good no call.

yeah, see that is where it gets gray. he fumbled the ball which would technically mean his steps hadn't started yet. however, they never give you the benefit of the doubt on that call. once you touch it, you have possession.

you watch any college game and you'll see what i'm talking about. on any two footed dunk you'll see step, hop, land with both feet but not at the same time, gather, dunk. that is a walk because technically its 3 steps. watch how many times it gets called -> zero.

william_brasky
2/28/2006, 02:02 AM
great play, awesome play, he beat everybody down the floor, amazing!

he did travel, but it was not called, therefore it was not a travelling violation

eat it pokes!

pokes played well though. i'm really surprised we came away with the win. they outplayed us most of the game.

oumartin
2/28/2006, 06:27 AM
well if they wanna nit pick walking. their point guard brown walked about 5 straight times in the first half. he would take two steps prior to ever dribbling the ball in their half court sets.

walkoffsooner
2/28/2006, 06:59 AM
Reff doesn't get em all no callie no walkie I likie.

the_ouskull
2/28/2006, 09:26 AM
I thought you were leaving, Martin...

the_ouskull

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/28/2006, 09:31 AM
When it happened live I was certain that Bookout got away with a walk. (thanks to DVR technology!) when I went back and watched it again in slow mo, he did not. He took two steps. Not the most graceful open court dunk I've ever seen but it was clutch.

MojoRisen
2/28/2006, 09:35 AM
When it happened live I was certain that Bookout got away with a walk. (thanks to DVR technology!) when I went back and watched it again in slow mo, he did not. He took two steps. Not the most graceful open court dunk I've ever seen but it was clutch.

Thanks for putting an end to that- it was certainly to close to call. I didn't think Book could still get up like that- I am sure that is his all time highlight real given the circumstances and the gravity of the game at the time it happened.

Tulsa_Sooner
2/28/2006, 09:44 AM
I am sure that is his all time highlight real given the circumstances and the gravity of the game at the time it happened.

I'd have to agree. The gravity in the LNC must have been altered for Bookout to actually get up high enough for that dunk.

Seriously though - great play. Great game. I'm slowly accepting the fact that I will likely have a heart attack every game. I can live with that - unless I don't.

jk the sooner fan
2/28/2006, 09:46 AM
The rule is if the referee calls walking it is, if not ,it is not....

so if the referee misses an obvious foul, it really wasnt a foul?

great logic

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/28/2006, 10:33 AM

great logic

you mean like that carter body check at half court? that offensive foul was such an obvious make up call it wasn't even funny.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/28/2006, 10:40 AM

i guess we are going to have to get a putfile of this because i'm watching it and it was a walk. the feet hit the floor at different times which means they are all counted as individual steps (4).

picasso
2/28/2006, 10:46 AM
there's no doubt he walked. but that doesn't mean he should have been called on it.;)
I see it all the time in basketball.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/28/2006, 11:06 AM
i guess we are going to have to get a putfile of this because i'm watching it and it was a walk. the feet hit the floor at different times which means they are all counted as individual steps (4).

I'll have to go back and watch it closer again. I watched for him taking an extra step and/or shuffling his feet, which I saw neither. So I saw it as a jump stop.

FWIW, I did go back and watch it again a couple times and it definitely is a walk. The feet did hit at different times making it 4 steps

Honestly though whether it is a travel or not is not that important to me at this point anyway. If it had been called a travel at the time I don't think I would have complained.

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 11:23 AM
lets not kid ourselves, he took about 4 steps. I don't care. I actually like it because I like hearing aggies whine.

GrapevineSooner
2/28/2006, 11:26 AM
If Aggies are going to complain about the Bookout walk, they at least need to have the temerity to admit they got away with a kicked ball five minutes into the second half.

And a reach in on Godbold right before he swung his elbows.

And a few over the back calls.

And a few instances of grabbing our guy's jerseys.

And a few fouls on some our drives to the bucket in the second half.

I could go on if they'd like.

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 11:28 AM
yeah, the calls last night were not the best and we were fortunate that we got ours when they count.

Ground_Attack
2/28/2006, 11:39 AM
i thought it was a walk but I really don't care. they didn't call it and we got our fair share of questionable calls against us earlier. We still win.

SoonerAcesUp
2/28/2006, 11:42 AM
Anybody else think Michael Neal got hacked when he got the rebound off Curry's miss and before he threw it down to Bookout. He should've been shooting two FT's and the Bookout dunk would've never happened but I'm glad it did. If you remember back to the game earlier this year in Stillwater, we had numerous run-outs where our big guys beat them down the floor. Guess they should've learned their lesson. Man, I love beating them! I've grown to hate them more since working with aggie fans for a year now.

CatfishSooner
2/28/2006, 11:53 AM

great logic

I think it's great logic...
when it works in our favor...:eddie:

Salt City Sooner
2/28/2006, 01:23 PM
If the Ags want to gripe, let 'em, because it was a walk. All I'm going to say in response to that is................

Victor Williams, circa 2003. Karma sux, eh pokes?

william_brasky
2/28/2006, 02:40 PM

great logic

if a tree falls in the woods, and nobody's around to hear it, does it actually make a sound? :texan:

PDXsooner
2/28/2006, 02:41 PM
it was a blatant travel, but that same travel rarely gets called. what was better than the dunk was gray jumping on his back and punching him in celebration.

william_brasky
2/28/2006, 02:46 PM
I'm going to miss Book so much next year.

What a great Sooner, and what a way to end the career at home!

Taxman71
2/28/2006, 03:02 PM
I'm going to miss Book so much next year.

What a great Sooner, and what a way to end the career at home!

I sure would like to have his soph season back and have him next year. That still ****es me off.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/1/2006, 09:59 AM

Jkm is correct. After going back and watching it again last night it was more like cross country skiing than a true jump stop.

Aggie still would have found a way to lose that game so no guilt being felt here.

Pricetag
3/1/2006, 01:20 PM
I sure would like to have his soph season back and have him next year. That still ****es me off.
Yep. It's a crying shame that we wasted an entire year of his eligibility to go to the NIT.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/1/2006, 01:58 PM
Yep. It's a crying shame that we wasted an entire year of his eligibility to go to the NIT.

The sad thing about that deal was, it wasn't even the coaches fault, Bookout was just plain stubborn.

Soonerus
3/1/2006, 03:55 PM

great logic

That's reality JK, any other analysis is a form of denial...that how the game works...been that way for years...

SoonerShark
3/1/2006, 07:52 PM
Okay most people have heard from ESPN, whiney OSUcks fans or whornfans that the Kevin Bookout dunk at the end was about an 8 step walk down the court.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63573