PDA

View Full Version : It's only 10:28...

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 11:28 PM
...but I'm freaking tired. I just played in the OU Wind Symphony concert this evening and i'm absolutely drained. It feels much later than it is right now.

how's everyone else's evening going?

ChickSoonerFan
2/27/2006, 11:31 PM
pssst. Go to sleep.

:)

SoonerBorn68
2/27/2006, 11:32 PM
winded, eh?

Well, aside from the thrilling ending to the OU game, nuthin'. Slow, slow drilling.

I did go to town today & bought some new movies.

I've only got 7 1/2 left on my shift. <yawn>

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 11:37 PM
I should go to sleep.... i don't THINK i have any homework to do for tomorrow. and even if I did there's no way i'm doing it tonight.

Fugue
2/27/2006, 11:39 PM
...but I'm freaking tired. I just played in the OU Wind Symphony concert this evening and i'm absolutely drained. It feels much later than it is right now.

how's everyone else's evening going?

what tunes did you play?

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 11:44 PM
what tunes did you play?

Courtly Airs and Dances (Ron Nelson)
Florentiner March (Julius Fucik)
Southern Harmony (Donald Grantham)
Symphony No. 2 (David Maslanka)
Valdres March (Johannes Hanssen)

Fugue
2/27/2006, 11:47 PM

nice, although I just read Julius last name a little too fast. :D

OklahomaTrombone
2/27/2006, 11:58 PM
I hate Valdres March

Penguin
2/28/2006, 12:06 AM
I hate Valdres March

I don't know that one. Could you hum a few bars?

OklahomaTrombone
2/28/2006, 12:07 AM
da-de-da-daah da-deedle-deedle-do di-deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle-daah

proud gonzo
2/28/2006, 12:07 AM
I hate Valdres March
ditto. i also hated having to play it after the Maslanka, which ends with the 1st and 2nd horn playing a fff glissando to a high B and holding it for 7 bars, and the 3rd and 4th playing the glissando to the high B, holding it for 3 bars, hitting a Bb and ending on a G#.

Penguin
2/28/2006, 12:12 AM
da-de-da-daah da-deedle-deedle-do di-deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle-daah

That is toe-tappin', dude. Sounds like an awesome song.

LoyalFan
2/28/2006, 03:03 AM

YES! I've played "Florentiner" ("an Austrian march in the Italian manner") and "Valdres" many times!
"Florentiner's" trio melody is one of those almost haunting tunes that one never forgets. Remember too that Fucik also wrote "Entry Of The Gladiators" (for you circus fans,) and "Die Regimentskinder" ("Children Of The Regiment") which are both great pieces.
My association with "Valdres" (Norwegian) goes all the way back to college. Somehow, the opening of the march sounds like it could serve as a theme for a western movie.
I've been privileged to play "first desk" on both as well as Trumpet I (as opposed to Cornet I) on Valdres, greatly enjoying the intricate obligato or countermelody therein. Of course, the fear factor is great when one has the opening solo, then has to reprise it later in the piece.
I've even played my flugelhorn in "Florentiner" in order to more duplicate the original timbre.
Good times! Congratulations, PG!

PrideTrombone
2/28/2006, 11:24 AM
YES! I've played "Florentiner" ("an Austrian march in the Italian manner") and "Valdres" many times!
"Florentiner's" trio melody is one of those almost haunting tunes that one never forgets. Remember too that Fucik also wrote "Entry Of The Gladiators" (for you circus fans,) and "Die Regimentskinder" ("Children Of The Regiment") which are both great pieces.
My association with "Valdres" (Norwegian) goes all the way back to college. Somehow, the opening of the march sounds like it could serve as a theme for a western movie.
I've been privileged to play "first desk" on both as well as Trumpet I (as opposed to Cornet I) on Valdres, greatly enjoying the intricate obligato or countermelody therein. Of course, the fear factor is great when one has the opening solo, then has to reprise it later in the piece.
I've even played my flugelhorn in "Florentiner" in order to more duplicate the original timbre.
Good times! Congratulations, PG!

I don't remember the last time someone got this fired up over a couple of marches except for Coach. :)

LoyalFan
2/28/2006, 05:14 PM
I don't remember the last time someone got this fired up over a couple of marches except for Coach. :)

It appears, t'would seem, that I am in good company.

LoyalFan
Straight Eye for the Band Queers

NormanPride
2/28/2006, 05:22 PM

You didn't see me when we got to do that counter-march to "Stars and Stripes". :D