PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Lord, Wontcha Buy Me A Mercedes-Benz

Oldnslo
2/27/2006, 11:18 PM
I've got the car fever. Bad. Modifying my car has me thinking about the old days.

Dig some car history. In order, as best as I can remember:

1. 67 Chevy Impalla. 4-door, with a blistering 289. Needed a calendar for a 0-60 run. All the chicks in high school loved it. NOT. OTOH, there was one special girl who could lie all the way down. In the front seat. I think I may cry.

2. 63 Chevy Nova. Convertible, beyonces! Apart from that, though, it was a big pile of crap. I bought it because my brother was selling it and he wanted to buy a Chrysler with a 383. FWIW, I burn as soon as the sun comes up. Like a lobster. Then I peel, revealing fresh white skin to burn again. like a lobster. and peel. I loathed this car.

3. 74 Pontiac LeMans. 350 screaming cubic inches in that bad boy, and it had all the smog stuff disabled. That thing would MOVE. Which is how I wrapped it around a light pole. The City of Tulsa billed me $400 or so for the pole and didn't even personalize it for me. Bastards. If you look carefully, you can still see the scar on my face. See, we didn't have fancy air bags back then. We had rocks! And we liked them! At least the steering wheel felt like a rock when I richoched off of it.

4. Ford Fiesta. Trust me, it was no party. Get it? Fiesta? Party! Ha! not really. This car was a wonder. Like, it's a wonder I survived. The passenger-side window would slide down all the way into the door if someone so much as breathed on the handle. Gear shift snapped one day as I was driving, and I had to shift with the little nub that was still attached to the transmission. Good times.

5. 72 Mustang. Fastback, baby! Straight 6 with a One barrell carb and the 3 speed. The ultimate Sheep in Wolf's clothing. Did I mention that it was baby blue? um. yeah. But I put a glass pack on it and sounded mean. At least that's what I tell people. My wife still kids me about the glass pack deal.

Then I graduated from law school and bought, in succession:

6. Nissan 240sx. 7. Honda CRX si (had to sell this because just after combining my wife's car note with mine, she totalled her car and I couldn't un-re-finance the note. B!tch. 8. Nissan Sentra SE-R (I actually really liked this car, but had to sell it because, one day, I went to a deposition against a Plaintiff's attorney I really liked. Dude got out of a big Beefeater Benz, and the look on his face when I got out of my car... well, I realized that if I was going to be the founder of my own law firm and play with the big boyz, I had to make a more significant automotive statement, so...)

I paid off my college loans and bought:

9. 95 BMW M3. Dropped a Dinan/Vortech supercharger in it. Triflow exhaust. Floating rotors for the "whoa". Loved the car. LOVED IT. No kidding, it was The Fastest Car in Town. Loved it. Right until a gremlin took up residence in the dashboard. You know those bells that sound when you get in the car? They're bells because they stop. When they don't stop, they're just buzzers. And they can buzz for hours... and hours... at random intervals... so just when you think you can't stand any more buzzing, it'll stop

for about 18 seconds

And then go on for more. A drive home to Tulsa back from Joplin killed my love for the car. Replaced pretty much everything in the dashboard without killing the gremlin. Now, the instrument cluster is a clock on my desk. Anyway...

thinking I was All Grown Up, with kids and all, I bought a

10. BMW 540. Sport package, but with BMW's steptronic transmission. Wrong car for me. All my friends loved it, and it just chewed up the highway, but I always felt like I was driving my father's car. It was just a size too big for me. Plus, I didn't like the recirculating-ball steering after the M3's handling. So, after a year, I punted it for my...

11. 03 BMW 330i ZHP. ZHP is BMW-speak for "performance package". Wonderful. It's got exactly 10 more horsepower than the "sport" version, from a different camshaft. Which is why none of the current neato aftermarket parts for the normal 330's work on it. Argh.

Great car. Almost. Just needs at least 50 or so more horsepower, which is a tough number to get. But, I've got a trick or two up my sleeve. :)

your history? first car? favorite car story? Give.

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 11:20 PM
1. 2001-now Mercury Cougar, red.

i'm entertaining, huh?

TopDaugIn2000
2/27/2006, 11:25 PM
I love that song. Have it on my iPod

TopDaugIn2000
2/27/2006, 11:27 PM
96 Pontiac firebird - tranny went out at 55K miles, traded in that SOB and completely swore off GM.
02 Camry - Took on a semi, didn't win
06 Camry - Just rolled over 7K miles, want an '07 so bad I can't stand it. might just have to trade it once they come out.

Oldnslo
2/27/2006, 11:27 PM
oopsie.

ChickSoonerFan
2/27/2006, 11:29 PM
Wow...my list is not nearly as impressive

1. '78? Mazda GLC Hatchback - sad sad car.

2. '88 Toyota Tercel - only car I ever bought that was brand new

3. '90 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo - I pretty much thought I was the s**t. Heck I WAS the s**t . ;)

4. '93 Mazda something...Protege? The car seat would not fit in the back
of the Eclipse and I got tired of climbing in the back seat all the time.

5. '93 Honda Accord - My favorite. Loved it.

6. Current car...well...it ain't much but its paid for, paid cash at the auction for it so I love it! Not really...but I love no car payment. :D

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2006, 11:31 PM
1990-1991 1986 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer. 4x4 with a four-banger. My brother ended up plowing it into the back of a van. Since I was grounded for six months at the time, the lack of a car wasn't so bad.

1992-1993 1989 Dodge Shadow Turbo. Awww yeah. Boomin' system. 2x12" M&M subwoofers, polk audio separates, Precision Power amplifiers. Who cares if I looked like an idiot in a piece of crap with a loud stereo?

1993-1996 No car

1996-1997 1989 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible. Made me really appreciate AWD when you have to drive in Anchorage in winter. Smaller stereo this time, but this one actually won awards, if you can believe such a thing.

1997-1999 1993 Eagle Talon TSi. AWD is nicey nicey. Also fast. Got pulled over doing 120 in St. Charles, MO in this car on the way to see Blake's last game. No real stereo to speak of, as I was a little less of an idiot at this point.

2000-2002 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. The gas-guzzler. 11 mpg if I was lucky.

2002-2005 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX. FAST. FAAAAAAST! Fun car. Very cool to shock the hell out of Mustang drivers.

2005-present 2005 Mercedes-Benz C240 4Matic. I love this car. While it's certainly not as peppy as the Suby, it has all the amenities. iPod integration. All leather and wood. Power sunroof. Power mirrors that tilt if I'm in reverse. All that cool stuff. And Mercedes was what this thread was about, right?

ChickSoonerFan
2/27/2006, 11:38 PM
1992-1993 1989 Dodge Shadow Turbo. Awww yeah. Boomin' system. 2x12" M&M subwoofers, polk audio separates, Precision Power amplifiers. Who cares if I looked like an idiot in a piece of crap with a loud stereo?

I bet my '90 Eclipse Turbo would have smoked your Shadow!! And my stereo too!!

That is me thinking I am the s**t talking....old habbits die hard. :O

yermom
2/27/2006, 11:39 PM
lots of cars... the highlights

'84 S10, 2.8 V6 , lowered 4", bright yellow... people saw me a mile away, never had to merge on the highway... was always looking for ways to get it sideways or airborne

'86 VW Jetta, learned to drive stick in this car, loved it

'02 Subaru WRX, oh my, this was the most fun car ever... fastest car i had ever driven, only one reason to get rid of it...

'04 Subaru WRX STi... bigger engine, bigger turbo, bigger everything... i smile every time i get behind the wheel, really

afs
2/27/2006, 11:46 PM
1. (1995-1997) 1980 Pontiac Firebird - black, way underpowered V-6. Burned through a 2-liter of oil every 3 weeks. kept old coke bottles of oil in the trunk.

2. (1997-1999) 1989 Honda Accord - hand-me-down from mom. ran the freakin' wheels of it traveling back and forth from norman to stillwater to see my girlfriend at the time.

3. (1999-2002) 1994 Chevy Z-71 shortbed pickup. great truck, ran up the miles traveling from Norman to Mustang for a girl.

4. (2002-2005) 2001 Olds Alero - first car i had to make payments on. it served it's purpose, got me through college and my first few years in the USAF while i got my financial feet underneath me.

5. Current 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport - the one car i've always wanted. i doubt i'll ever sell this thing. upgrades include grill guard and side bars.

SoonerBorn68
2/28/2006, 12:01 AM
My first car was a 1977 Pontiac LeMans; ex-police car. 455 4bbl w/posi-track & dual exhaust. Got that car in 1985, just as the gas prices rose to about a $1.30 a gallon. I got brave one night & decided to see what it would do on a gravel section line road. I got it up to about 70 when I started fish tailing a little...ended down the ditch & up the other side. I took out about 20 fence posts. I drove it home, white as a sheet. Tough car though, it only broke out a headlight & got a barbed wire scratch up the hood and roof.

#2. A brand new 1986 Mustang for graduation...Actually I cut a deal with my dad--I worked for him through high school for basically free & he would buy me a new mustang when I graduated. Mom heard the word "race" one time and my 5.0L turned into a 2.3L.

#3. 1969 Mustang fastback, 4bbl 351 Cleveland, 4 speed, 3.91 traction lock. It was a piece...but a very fast one. A friend of mine wanted to see what it would do one day so I abliged. I jumped the rpm's & dumped the clutch & the passenger seat broke. I had the back seat folded down & my bud got thrown all the way to the back. Hell no I didn't stop, well until I reached the end of the quarter mile. We'd go sit in Hollywood parking lot waiting for races. We'd go to Sunoco & get 5 gallons of the 101 ocatain, a bottle of 104 octain boost, a little lead addative. We were smart that way. :D

#4 1978 Cobra II. My favorite. My little pinto with a hood scoop. Rebuilt the engine to build about 375 hp. I won a lot of beer with that car. I had a guy who wanted to run for titles. He drove a '70s Camero. I told him I didn't want to...He asked if I was afraid of losing my car...I replied I was afraid of having that POS Camero in my garage.

#5 1990 Pontiac LeMans. The import thingy. Got great gas mileage & I was driving about 80 miles a day to work. It's claim to fame is I T-boned a Crown Vic (who ran a stop sign). Totaled the vic but only misaligned my hood.

#6 1993 Ford Ranger Splash. My first truck. Loved it even though it was a 4 cyl.

#7 1995 Ford F-150...We had a kid & the wife still wanted a truck, just not my Ranger.

#8 1985 Ranger. It had two tanks. I could drive almost a month without filling up. Armstrong steering & no AC was the succ.

#9 1987 T-Bird Turbo Coupe. Nice car. I ended up rebuilding the engine & bumping up the turbo...It still couldn't get out of its own way.

#10 2000 Mazda B3000. Great truck. My daily driver. 3.0L, 5 speed, & 3.55 traction lock...could get a scratch in 4th gear.

#11. 1992 F-250. 7.3L 4X4 supercab. It's gotten me into and out of places I never dreamed I'd ever have to drive. It's got about 190,000 on it--just now hitting it's prime. Gettin' almost 17mpg & I've had to put about $3K into it in 9 months, but it's still a great truck.

Damn, I didn't realized I've had that many cars & that doesn't even include my wife's present Sable, past Sable, or '87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe. :eek:

Kels
2/28/2006, 12:11 AM
OK . . .

'76 Chevy Custom Deluxe - 3/4 ton, 350, Rochester 4 bbl, 410's, grill guard and headache rack. It was candy-apple red -- no matter what jkm says.

'86 Buick Skylark - all digital, nice automobile until I wrecked it after falling asleep at the wheel.

'84 Chevy Caprice - 305, 2 dr, slick automobile, traded it back to my Dad.

'93 Subaru Legacy - gah! My sister couldn't total it soon enough. An insult to manhood.

'90 GMC Sierra LT - 1/2 ton, 350, 342's. Nice truck, got rear-ended and bent the frame.

'89 Chevy Cheyenne - 1/2 ton, 305, 373's, 4x4. Got it in 2004 with only 41k original miles. I put in custom bucket seats with folding console, Pioneer deck and speakers, Avalanche tires and wheels, duals, grill guard, heavy tint job.

PhxSooner
2/28/2006, 12:25 AM
'88-90 1978 Olds 98. So big that I couldn't park in certain spots in the Memorial HS lot. I could fit three six-foot guys in my backseat with leg room to spare.

'90-2000 1989 Nissan Sentra. Got me through OU and early years in Phoenix. It almost didn't make it up the big incline headed out of Albuquerque on the drive out here, though.

Hubby and I have had a 1995 Jimmy and a 2000 Jimmy. The '95 got totalled by a minivan of all things, so we now have a 2005 Sequoia. I have actual feelings for this car. We'll buy another Toyota when the other Jimmy dies.

critical_phil
2/28/2006, 12:28 AM
#6 1993 Ford Ranger Splash. My first truck. Loved it even though it was a 4 cyl.

i had no idea you were a lesbian................

yermom
2/28/2006, 12:29 AM
i'm glad i dodged that one :O

Vaevictis
2/28/2006, 12:47 AM
1973 Chevy Vega. I hated this car. As soon as you hit 55 mph, the air conditioning -- as bad as it was -- would cut out. It didn't help that it took you 4-5 minutes to get to 55. Or the rather revolting color -- orange. Burnt. Orange. 'Twas agony, but 'twas the only car I could afford at the time, and I had to get to work somehow. And it was rusted out.

I desperately wanted to take it apart, piece by piece, but I had promised the previous owner -- an aero engineer who soups up cars as a hobby, and IS a UT fan -- that I would sell it back to him when I was done with them.

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix. I was sold (on the model at least) once I saw the heads up display. Sadly, it had a torn front bumper (it has a fiberglass bumper that goes underneath and gets stuck on sidewalks in front of parking spots if you pull up too close), which the dealership was kind enough sell to me with tape over the tear *AND* paint over in the exact same color of the car, so as to conceal the flaw. For what it's worth, the dealership was Sawgrass Ford in Florida. They're one of the Ford-recognized-for-service type dealerships. As such, I know to expect poor service from Ford, and won't buy from them. And now that the whole bloody dash has melted into a sticky goo, and ALL of the plastic parts -- and ALL of the car is made of plastic -- are breaking off, and I had a FREAKING RACK AND PINION SNAP (side note -- if you're one of those kids that likes when you can raise each side of your car independantly, snap the rack and pinion. When you try to turn right, the left side raises. When you try to turn left, the right side raises. It works great, as long as you don't mind the fact that YOU CANT FRICKING STEER THE CAR), brake failures happening MULTIPLE TIMES (each time "repaired" at a GM authorized facility) at 60mph, fuel lines rotting away inside of 4 years, and many other problems, I can't bring myself to buy GM cars anymore either.

I mean, cmon, this was a list-$34k car. Used or no, I expect a little more quality on a car that someone paid $34k for, especially when I can get such a high quality sub-$20k car from an Asian firm.

I'm kind of sad that it's now basically impossible for me to buy an American car; I really want to. But it's obvious that wanting to buy American isn't enough, that GM and Ford are in despirate need of a market remedy.

Haven't bought it yet, but next car is likely a:

2006 Toyota Prius. Good gas mileage. Relatively roomy. Not much "oomph", but I can make do without. Pretty cheap. Never had any unreasonable problems with a Toyota in my family, ever -- always drove them into the ground, and short of totalling the buggers, never had ANY problems pre-150k miles (unlike the g'damn American cars). Best part -- all of this, plus almost $3k cash back from the government if I buy it before June-ish.

(OTOH, I may go with a Honda Accord Hybrid, Civic Hybrid or maybe even a Jetta TDI)

yermom
2/28/2006, 12:54 AM
i'm normally pretty high on VW, but the only dealer around has been ****ing me off with the gf's car lately with warranty stuff

GottaHavePride
2/28/2006, 01:18 AM
1. 1986 Grand Marquis. Built like a tank, drove like a tank, smelled like a swamp. (I left the windows down one night when it rained.)

2. 1990 Caddy El Dorado. Oh, how I wish it was a 1992 with the Northstar engine and 290 horsepower instead of the 190 hp I've got now.

Next up: (when I get a job) I'd like either a 2003-2004 Nissan Maxima coming off a lease, a similar-aged VW Touareg, or a similar-age 350Z (heh, yeah right). Also note, I didn't say I'd be able to afford any of those. ;)

Ike
2/28/2006, 02:12 AM
1) 1992-1995: 1970 Chevy Malibu, 397 V8, All leather cow interior, big brown baby seal eyes for headlights, and 15 gallons to the mile. got this car when I was 15 as a 'gift' from my great uncle who had decided that since he was going into a retirement home, he didn't really need it anymore. he probably had turned the odometer 2 or 3 times in his life (he had owned the car since 1970, and the odometer only read 50K miles). anyway, just after I turned 16, it became apparent that the car had a cracked block, and I had to rebuild the damn engine. I got the sucker running, but it wasn't pretty...took me the better part of the year, and was constantly requiring me to fiddle around with the engine or other parts of the car. I didn't like the idea of having to do this all the time, so I sold it when I went to college (for $600), and bought...

2) 1990 Pontiac Sunbird. This was one awsome car. not very big, but big enough to haul all my crap from home to the dorm every semester in one trip. except for the fact that I had to replace the clutch, it never had any problems, despite the fact that I bought it with 115K miles on it. I drove it to 199K miles up to the point that I graduated, when my parents offered to buy me another car (and since my little twin sisters were just turning 16, they needed a car, and it would make a perfect hand-me-down....which was promptly totaled).

3) 1999-Present: 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. I've heard from other people that these aren't the greatest cars. However, I've had enough luck with mine that I'm glad I bought it. it has needed a few major repairs here and there over the 6.5 years I've had it, but nothing back-breaking. It gets the job done, and thats really all I care about.

===Bonus Cars===
a) 2002-3: 1986 Nissan 200SX. a friend of mine was moving from Norman to New York, and wasn't going to be able to take his car. He tried to sell it, but to no avail, and on the day before he was to move, he asked me if I wanted his car for free. He said it had a brake problem, and I said I'd be happy to take it. So I towed it back to my place and started experimenting. turns out that the only problem was a very very slow leak in one of the brake fluid lines. I fixed that up and it ran just fine after that. wound up trading it to a mechanic in return for repairs to.....

b) 2002-present: 1992 Nissan Maxima. This car was actually my wifes car when we got married. god it sucked. everything went wrong with this car. My wife decided that we should take it to Chicago instead of the 200sx. that was a mistake. we traded in the other nissan for repairs to this one to make it drivable. it lasted for about a year after we got to chicago before several things (brakes, clutch, engine) started going kaput. it's now sitting in a 'long term parking lot' collecting dust. I had to push it to that location.

c) 2004- Present: 1994 Buick Lesabre. With the demise of my wife's previous car, her parents decided to donate one of their old cars to our cause. it's not a bad little yacht. it gets the job done, but the radio only works if its rained recently. there's a short somewhere between the radio and the antenna and a little bit of water seems to plug gap...

apusooner
2/28/2006, 02:35 AM
96 Ford Ranger ---awesome first truck, drove it until college, gave it to dad and got a
94 Chevy Mullet-cruiser, aka, Camaro Z28. It had flowmasters. two 12" Fosgate subs. It was loud and fast.

when I moved to Cali, I traded my little bro for his 00 Grand Prix. It rules. I still feel bad about that trade, but it was smarter than trying to keep gas around the camaro. it didnt stay in it very long.

LoyalFan
2/28/2006, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=Oldnslo]I've got the car fever. Bad. Modifying my car has me thinking about the old days.

1. 67 Chevy Impalla. 4-door, with a blistering 289. [QUOTE]

Not sniping, but wasn't that a 283 in the Impala?
Just curious. I kept tabs on the Olds's so might have missed a change to a 289 in the Chevys, just never heard one mentioned before.

LF

BoogercountySooner
2/28/2006, 06:28 AM
61-- VW Beetle got me to school only cost me $200

68--VW Beetle Auto stick POS

72--Pontiac Lemans fast car great for cornering with the McCreary 60's I had on it.

76--Olds Cutlas Nice ride drove it through a Tornado once all the window trim came up missing.

80-- Datsun Pick up great on Gas.

86---GMC-S-15 P/U good for awhile then started falling apart.

94--Ford F-150 Awesome truck great ride.

98--Ford F150 4wd 5.4 liter Great Truck a workhorse still have it.

2005--- Ford Ranger good mileage drive to work truck

OUAndy1807
2/28/2006, 08:35 AM
1) 1987 Grand Wagoneer
2) 1994 Ford Splash
3) 1996 Nissan Pathfinder
4) 2003 Toyota Tundra

bonus: 1993 ford cobra

Pieces Hit
2/28/2006, 09:30 AM
71 VW
80 Toyota Station Wagon - got lots in that one. :)
79 Toyota Station Wagon - after the first one died
81 Corvette
82 Kawasaki 750 GPZ
81 Ford F100

---- GOT MARRIED ----

80 Pontiac Sunbird
82 Ford Ranger
86 Silverado
81 Honda Goldwing
90 Toyota Corolla
2000 Dodge Ram
2001 Grand Am GT

Oldnslo
2/28/2006, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=Oldnslo]I've got the car fever. Bad. Modifying my car has me thinking about the old days.

1. 67 Chevy Impalla. 4-door, with a blistering 289. [QUOTE]

Not sniping, but wasn't that a 283 in the Impala?
Just curious. I kept tabs on the Olds's so might have missed a change to a 289 in the Chevys, just never heard one mentioned before.

LF
According to Google, it would be a 283. Seems like 289 was a Ford engine.

I've tried to forget some things about the car. It was gold. Oxidized gold. From time to time, the horn would stick, and I'd have to pound the steering wheel to get it to stop. :)

soonerjoker
2/28/2006, 11:46 AM
don't mean to be a wise guy, chevvies weren't "impalas " till 58.

Fish
2/28/2006, 12:11 PM
'85-88 Started off with a '79 Malibu...it was a fun car pretty quick, its signature to my friends was the vaccum leak it had! We would rat race through neighborhoods trying to find each other and my car saturated a 2-3 block area w/ a deafening shhhhhhh. Was find until it blew up on the Turnpike comming back from a Drum Corps camp.

88-90 bought a salvaged '86 Mercury Lynx XR-3 (Escort GT) with low milage. It worked great for my coast to coast trips in the early part of my Navy experience. Made it from San Diego to Tulsa in 20 hrs once...great gas milage and a kickin' stereo system (Nakamichi 304 & 202 amps, head unit w/cd controller, a pair of nak tweets, 4",5", and 2 10" Atomic Subs). Was home on leave between duty stations and was at Grand Lake long story short messed up the front end pretty bad...needed to get to Seattle.

90-2000 Bought my first 'New' car 90 Pontiac Grand Am LE...looked like a SE but w/out Standard Xmission and 'bout 20hp less on the Quad-4. Made several coast 2 Coast trips engine failed at 160,000 miles, put it in the shop to get new motor, Nak amps get stollen, bought next car after dropping 3g's to get this one fixed. sold it in 2003.

03-present '97 Pontiac Gran Prix GTP...good car and quick!!! A buddy has a '96 Impala SS that's been tweaked and I could hold him a 5 car lengths in the 1/4mile.

frankensooner
2/28/2006, 12:27 PM
1970 Chevy Impala
1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme
1981 Chevy Monte Carlo
1989 Cadillac Seville
1993 Olds Achieva (worst car ever-last g.m. product I will ever buy)
1993 Mazda Protege (wife's car)
1999 Toyota Camry
2000 Toyota Sienna

A good dependable car beats any kind of status car, IHMO.

OUinFLA
2/28/2006, 01:20 PM
I think my list would be kinda long:
54 Ford 2 dr sedan V8 3 speed.
63 Ford 2 dr hard top 3 speed
64 Pontiac Catalina Ventura 2 dr hard top 389 w/3 duces, 3 speed stick, would wear out tires faster than my Dad would pay for them. Passed a 64 Chevy 409 quad at about 125 one day on that last hill out west of Durant where you can first see Lake Texoma. Once I passed him we decided to chill out.
67 Vette roadster, 427 cu in, 3 Duces, 400hp, 4 speed. had that sucka up to about 135 one day on the road south of Doooorant headin toward the Red River. Scared the $hit out of myself.
68 Pontiac Lemans, got married and she couldnt see over the dash cluster on the Vette. shoulda kept the vette and ditched the girl.
65 VW mini bus, WTF?
another 67 Vette, just cause the guy wanted the VW and 1000 bucks. Any of you ever thought you could buy a 67 vette with a 427 for $1400? Back in '72 you could have your pick.
69 Lincoln Mark III - best riding car I EVAR had! Loved that car, wish I could afford another one.
72 Chevy Pick up. I entered a new era.
74 Ford Pinto wagon, or as I like to call it.... "The Chick Magnet" (not)
76 Grenada, new wife, new car trend.
vans, mini vans, econo boxes and family wheels for the next few years.

Then, I turned 50 and had mid life crisis after mid life crisis.
57 Chevy restored.- sold
57 T bird restored - sold regretfully.
57 Chevy Bel Air 2dr ht, all rodded up (still got)
36 Ford Street Rod (may be burried in this one)
Chevy Pickups 95,99,01, 05 All the same Silverado king cab.
Oh, and a 97 Suzuki 1400 Intruder Ive given up riding as Im sure I will die soon on it. Gonna sell this one.

Sure wish I had all the money back I have spent on cars in my lifetime.

Or actually, I wish I had that first 67 Vette. Saw one go at an auction that was real similar to the one I had.............only sold for about $140K.

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 01:31 PM
51 International Travelall 4x4
56 GMC Pickup
59 Ford pickup
63 Mercury Comet Station Wagon
74 VW Thing
Several years of married life with Saabs, Volvos, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Hondas, Toyotas (all for the wife) and Ford, Dodge, and Chevy 4x4 trucks for big daddy. Also have owned Toyota 4x4 pickups, and a hodgepodge of other vehicles.

Currently have 2 S-10s, one Toyota 4-Runner, one Toyota Echo, one Ford F-350 4x4 diesel, and several tractors, 4-wheelers, and various other modes of transportation.

And what is it about lawyers and BMWs/Mercedes? I thought you had to be smart to go through law school.

ultimatesooner1
2/28/2006, 01:42 PM
1986 Jeep CJ7
1989 Pontiac Grand Prix 2dr
1993 Chevy Z71 w/ 4 inch lift big tires, etc.

currently - 2003 Ford F150 & 2003 Chevy Tahoe

OUDoc
2/28/2006, 01:50 PM
1984 Pontiac Fiero-yes, it was slow, but the chicks liked it. Zip it.
1990 Pontiac Sunbird convertible (given by my parents, convertible top was the only saving grace)
1993 Chevy S-10 Blazer (loved it, but the glass pack on a V-6 might not have been a good idea)
1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4WD
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged, but front wheel drive)
2004 Pontiac GTO (screw you guys! ;) I love this car.)

Also bought, for my wife:
1999 Chevy Cavalier
2001 Chevy Suburban
2006 Buick Rendezvous

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/28/2006, 01:52 PM
1984 Pontiac Fiero-yes, it was slow, but the chicks liked it. Zip it.
1990 Pontiac Sunbird convertible (given by my parents, convertible top was the only saving grace)
1993 Chevy S-10 Blazer (loved it, but the glass pack on a V-6 might not have been a good idea)
1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4WD
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged, but front wheel drive)
2004 Pontiac GTO (screw you guys! ;) I love this car.)

Also bought, for my wife:
1999 Chevy Cavalier
2001 Chevy Suburban
2006 Buick RendezvousOMG, you are such an idiot for buying vehicles made by those tools at General Motors.

TopDaugIn2000
2/28/2006, 01:53 PM
OMG, you are such an idiot for buying vehicles made by those tools at General Motors.

WORD :D

OUDoc
2/28/2006, 01:54 PM
OMG, you are such an idiot for buying vehicles made by those tools at General Motors.
Yup. Can't believe I'd buy an American car. I must be stupid. At least none were made by the tools in the Oklahoma plant. ;)

Heh, you said "tool".

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/28/2006, 01:57 PM
WORD :DI meant that as a joke, as GM provided livelihood for mine and Doc's families.

BTW, my GM car just rolled over 100K. I bought it with only 4 miles on the odometer. What a ****ty car!!

TopDaugIn2000
2/28/2006, 02:01 PM
I meant that as a joke, as GM provided livelihood for mine and Doc's families.

BTW, my GM car just rolled over 100K. I bought it with only 4 miles on the odometer. What a ****ty car!!

and I meant my reply as a joke as well. hence the :D

I know that you all are GM fans.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/28/2006, 02:03 PM
Right, but earlier you said GM sucked, so whatever.

TopDaugIn2000
2/28/2006, 02:05 PM
I truly did mean it as a joke. Earlier I said personally I swore off GM, but that's just a personal preference.

SoonerInKCMO
2/28/2006, 02:22 PM
1985-1986 - 1984 S-10 Blazer w/ 2.8L V-6. Piece o' crap. Started making a weird clicking sound from under the hood when about a year old - turned out that sparks were arcing from the distributor to something else. Got t-boned by a girl in an Accord at 36th & Shartel.
1986-1989 - 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix w/ 5.0L V-8. Got it cheap because the seller's brother killed himself in the front seat. Decent car. Got broken into and the stereo was stolen. What irked me the most about that was that the thieves broke the rear side window to get in - the windows in the door could be pulled far enough from the body to just reach in and unlock it. Blew a head gasket on I-240.
1989-1994 - 1989 Hyundai Excel GL w/ 1.5L I-4. Other than burning out the clutch after 30k miles (probably my own fault) I had no problems with this car for the first 100k miles. Got rear-ended by a 20' panel truck on I-94 in Minneapolis (hard enough to knock me 15' forward with my brakes locked up) and it only caused $600 of damage. The 5-speed tranmission started getting wonky at about 110k miles.
1994-2000 - 1994 Hyundai Scoupe w/ 1.5L I-4. Solid car. Nothing spectacular of course - but no problems either. Got a little rattley after 80-90k miles.
2000-2005 - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant w/ 3.0L V-6. Runs great - smooth engine. Had to replace front rotors about every 20k miles. After 75k miles I got bored with it and gave it to mom.
2005-now - 2005 Toyota Corolla XRS w/ 1.8L I-4. Has the Yamaha designed engine that's also used in the Celica GTS and Lotus Exige and Elise. Seems good so far (10k miles). Gets about the same gas mileage as the Excel & Scoupe but with about twice the power. Variable valve timing means the fun doesn't really begin until about 6200 rpm. Interior bits rattle and buzz though.

sooner n houston
2/28/2006, 03:20 PM
51 International Travelall 4x4
56 GMC Pickup
59 Ford pickup
63 Mercury Comet Station Wagon
74 VW Thing
Several years of married life with Saabs, Volvos, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Hondas, Toyotas (all for the wife) and Ford, Dodge, and Chevy 4x4 trucks for big daddy. Also have owned Toyota 4x4 pickups, and a hodgepodge of other vehicles.

Currently have 2 S-10s, one Toyota 4-Runner, one Toyota Echo, one Ford F-350 4x4 diesel, and several tractors, 4-wheelers, and various other modes of transportation.

And what is it about lawyers and BMWs/Mercedes? I thought you had to be smart to go through law school.

My first car, in 1971, was a '63 Comet! My friends and I called it the tank. Once drove it into and out of lake Keystone while drinking Boones Farm and smokin' cigars with three of my high school buddies! :D

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 03:24 PM
My first car, in 1971, was a '63 Comet! My friends and I called it the tank. Once drove it into and out of lake Keystone while drinking Boones Farm and smokin' cigars with three of my high school buddies! :D

I drove mine into the Atlantic Ocean in North Myrtle Beach in 1975. Dude in an old deuce-and-a-half pulled me out. It was about midnight right after watching Jaws at the theater. I said "I ain't afraid of no shark" while driving with a boatload of other stupid GIs, and drove into the waves at about 50 mph. Then we all crawled out and swam around the car. Pretty freaky when something bumps your leg in the pitch dark ocean - right after watching Jaws.

Good times.....

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 04:05 PM
You sure that wasn't one of your 'freaky' buddies trying to get all cozy witcha ? I heard about those all male 82nd AB 'nights at the beach' ;)

You heard about them, or you were the attendee of honor? HMMMMM?????

KC//CRIMSON
2/28/2006, 04:08 PM
I drove mine into the Atlantic Ocean in North Myrtle Beach in 1975. Dude in an old deuce-and-a-half pulled me out. It was about midnight right after watching Jaws at the theater. I said "I ain't afraid of no shark" while driving with a boatload of other stupid GIs, and drove into the waves at about 50 mph. Then we all crawled out and swam around the car. Pretty freaky when something bumps your leg in the pitch dark ocean - right after watching Jaws.

Good times.....

IN YOUR FACE!! STEVEN SPEILBERG!!

BeetDigger
2/28/2006, 04:10 PM

I didn't go to law school, but I have one of each. They are terrific cars, especially the BMW.

Also have a Ford Ranger. 11 years old and has 55K on it. I should trade it for something else but tough to get rid of a truck you've had for 11 years and only put 55 thousand miles on it. Plus it's nice to have a truck once in a while as well as four wheel drive.

Vaevictis
2/28/2006, 04:48 PM

Um, exactly how many lawyers have YOU met? In my experience, there are significant numbers of utter morons who are lawyers; slightly less than in the general population, it's true. But still significant.

I always figured that the number one quality required of a lawyer is obstinance.
You have to be able to put up with lots of dry, boring legwork that involves reading and writing lots and lots (and lots (and lots)) of dry boring documents.

Intelligence might be a pre-requisite to be a *good* lawyer, but to be just any old lawyer? Nah.

yermom
2/28/2006, 04:51 PM
dude, you are so baned

OUinFLA
2/28/2006, 05:01 PM
intelligent lawyers start and host football boards for Sooner Fans.

That ought to get me maxed for spek.

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 05:06 PM
Neg jihad on the kiss as*

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 05:18 PM
I didn't go to law school, but I have one of each. They are terrific cars, especially the BMW.

I'll agree - if by "terrific" you mean "major POS that costs me a small fortune every time something goes wrong - and something always goes wrong."

Go buy a Lexus. Drive it for a month. You'll never get in the seat of a Mercedes or BMW again. There's no comparison. People buy BMW and Mercedes cause of the name. They simply don't match up to their hype. Not even close. But you look groovy and rich driving them.

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 05:23 PM
Touareg. Not the VD, the SUV.

KC//CRIMSON
2/28/2006, 05:25 PM
I'll agree - if by "terrific" you mean "major POS that costs me a small fortune every time something goes wrong - and something always goes wrong."

Go buy a Lexus. Drive it for a month. You'll never get in the seat of a Mercedes or BMW again. There's no comparison. People buy BMW and Mercedes cause of the name. They simply don't match up to their hype. Not even close. But you look groovy and rich driving them.

I wouldn't mind having a Lexus IS300, but it's a little out of my price range. Maybe I should call Bruce for a loan?

Vaevictis
2/28/2006, 05:31 PM
You'll never get in the seat of a Mercedes or BMW again. There's no comparison. People buy BMW and Mercedes cause of the name.

Some people (like my Aunt) just really like BMW manual transmissions. She hates automatics, and the only manual ones she truly likes are on BMW's.

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 05:34 PM
Some people (like my Aunt) just really like BMW manual transmissions. She hates automatics, and the only manual ones she truly likes are on BMW's.

So, what you're saying is your aunt is a gold-diggin lawyer chaser who likes to drive ****ty cars with even ****tier transmissions? That's cool.

Beef
2/28/2006, 05:35 PM
1979 Olds Cutlass
1986 Merkur xR4Ti
1986 Mustang GT convertible
1987 VW Jetta
1993 Jeep Wrangler
1999 Dodge Durango
2004 VW Touareg
2005 Expedition

yermom
2/28/2006, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't mind having a Lexus IS300, but it's a little out of my price range. Maybe I should call Bruce for a loan?

they don't even make those anymore, i don't think

they have basically the same motor as a Supra... i've heard a lot about putting turbos on them

Vaevictis
2/28/2006, 05:49 PM
So, what you're saying is your aunt is a gold-diggin lawyer chaser who likes to drive ****ty cars with even ****tier transmissions? That's cool.

Heh, bitter much? No, what I'm saying is that she liked BMW's manual transmission.

(As far as "gold-digging" is concerned... not necessary. She owned or co-owned several pretty successful businesses long before she married anyone.)

(And by the way, screw you buddy. Do you suppose it might be a bit much to insult someone's family like that? She's never done a thing to you, and was easily one of the nicest person's you'd ever want to meet)

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 05:58 PM

Replaced by the 350
http://www.lexus.com/assets/models/gallery/photos_popup/main_assets/exterior/is-344_lg.jpg

yermom
2/28/2006, 06:00 PM
not sure what they were trying to do there, but i don't like it

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 06:00 PM
not sure what they were trying to do there, but i don't like it

Really?

Dead. To Me. You Are.

yermom
2/28/2006, 06:05 PM
Really?

Dead. To Me. You Are.

If you prefer your sport sedans serene over spirited and unperturbed over unabashed, then the IS 350 could be your ideal car.

they gave it a lot more power, but they ditched the MT and bloated it out a bit

KC//CRIMSON
2/28/2006, 06:06 PM

they have basically the same motor as a Supra... i've heard a lot about putting turbos on them

Now they make the IS350. I'd still take an '05 IS300 though.

yermom
2/28/2006, 06:09 PM
it's pretty tough to find a V6 car with a MT, even harder to find one with RWD

on top of that, it's a Lexus

BeetDigger
2/28/2006, 06:10 PM

I drove the Lexus. It was a nice car, I liked it a lot. But the wife liked the Benz better. It was and is her car, so I took it down to two cars and let her choose.

As for me, I drive the BMW and as has been said, I bought it purely for the manual transgression. The Lexus didn't offer it and those POS auto-stick thingys (the the Lexus was on the steering wheel and activated by your thumb - but it was still a POS compared to a true manual) are for the latte drinking crowd. BMW manual transmissions RMFO. Why anyone would buy an automatic if a manual is offered is beyond me. Might as well just hold your pinky in the air when you drink coffee if you are going to drive an automatic.

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 06:11 PM
they gave it a lot more power, but they ditched the MT and bloated it out a bit

You're bloated out a bit. :mad:

;)

yermom
2/28/2006, 06:14 PM
You're bloated out a bit. :mad:

;)

post reported :mad:

all the more reason to have a car that isn't :O

AlbqSooner
2/28/2006, 09:15 PM
'62 VW Bus - a whopping 36 horsepower
'57 Chevy Bel Air 2d HT - 283 bored to 301 with a Hurst 3 speed on the floor
'72 VW Hatchback (like a mini station wagon) put the tape player from Hong Kong in it with 4 speakers and could rattle the windows at half volume.
Graduated Law School
'78 Pugeot - one of the smoothest riding cars I have been in but otherwise a major mechanical nightmare.
'82 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton
'87 Alfa Romeo (after my divorce)
91 Porsche 911 Turbo - I have driven most of the muscle cars from the '60s and '70s but this car scared the livin bejeesus outta me. Only had it for 6 months. Way too much power and WAYYYY too much insurance.
'92 Lincoln Town Car
'97 Buick LeSabre - much better ride than the Town Car and an awesome sound system.
Currently driving a '97 Chevy 1/2 ton short bed - I love to poke about in the mountains.
On order - 2006 Victory motorcycle. Guess I am doing my midlife crisis a second time and a bit after midlife but what the hey.

C&CDean
2/28/2006, 09:45 PM
Heh, bitter much? No, what I'm saying is that she liked BMW's manual transmission.

(As far as "gold-digging" is concerned... not necessary. She owned or co-owned several pretty successful businesses long before she married anyone.)

(And by the way, screw you buddy. Do you suppose it might be a bit much to insult someone's family like that? She's never done a thing to you, and was easily one of the nicest person's you'd ever want to meet)

Screw you buddy? That sounds like a cheap Jackie Chan line.

As far as insulting your family - well, keep your auntie outta my yard, and I'll keep my yard outta your auntie.........

In other words, lighten up Franvaevictis.

Frozen Sooner
2/28/2006, 09:54 PM
I meant that as a joke, as GM provided livelihood for mine and Doc's families.

I notice you said "rolled." As opposed to "drove." ;)

Vaevictis
2/28/2006, 10:34 PM

Hey man, it's supposed to sound like a cheap Jackie Chan line. It told you I was a bit annoyed without being too offensive, right? That's the intent. When I want to be offensive, chances are, I will offend you. ;)

As far as lightening up goes, I said that my aunt liked BMW's manual transmission. You suggested that that implied that she was a gold-digging lawyer chaser. You think that such a comment is not going to offend someone, just a little bit?

Next time you randomly mention someone in your family, and I say something unpleasant about them, do I get a free pass if I just say, "Keep your family out of my yard, and I'll keep my yard out of your family?"

Oldnslo
2/28/2006, 10:43 PM

This advice comes from a man who once owned a VW Thing.

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 10:51 PM

As far as insulting your family - well, keep your auntie outta my yard, and I'll keep my yard outta your auntie.........

In other words, lighten up Franvaevictis.

Screw you beyonce!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

Take that hill-neck redbilly skeeter! :eddie: :eddie: :eddie: :eddie:

:mack: :mack: :mack:

TUSooner
2/28/2006, 10:55 PM
Every car I've ever had, except one, had a manual tranny. I hate automatics, and that's one of the few things Mrs TU & I agree on. :rolleyes:

Jeep CJ-6. 3-speed. Flooded it out in the puddle known as the S Canadian River. Got it stuck in mudhole around where 104th & S Walker is now. I could put the windshield down and get bugs in my teeth. Good times.

71? Fiat 124 spider. Hugely, amazingly, wonderfully, fantasically fun and handled like dream, but it taught me that F-I-A-T stands for "Fix it again, Tony."

74? Fiat 128. A brand new little pale green box. Called "the roach". No further comment. Groovy Pioneer 8-track, though!

73? VW Squareback. Spartan, but made the drive from VA to OKC to New Orleans, and hardly ever a lick of trouble for years. A rock blew out the side rear window on the road to S Padre Island. Duct tape, my friends!

A ?? Chevette. First brand new car I bought for myself. Sold it to a friend, who loved it more that I did.

'71 Fiat 124 (another one) Worse than the first, The battery fell through a rust hole and started rubbing against the tire. I repaired it with wood.

'69 Karmann Ghia. Like all VW's , smelled like gasoline 24/7, but reliable as the sunrise. Too bad it wasn't a convertible and too bad it wouldn't hold a kiddy seat.

87 Toyota Corolla. Bland, but reliable. Maybe the best car for the money I ever had.

Currently -

'93 Honda Accord. 170,000 miles and still going, but no A/C at this time. My 17yo daughter has clipped a city bus with it, and scraped another of our cars. It's all OK, the car refuses to die. Maybe the best car for the money I ever had.

2002 Nissan Altima. Drives beautifully, handles long trips with ease, but the trim etc is crap. I doubt I'll ever buy another Nissan

95 Mitsubishi Galant. A good deal at $3000 with only 40k miles and in great shape. Recipient of nifty scrape by 93 Accord. only auto trans car I've owned.

How's THEM for "Lawyer Cars" Dean?
I guess that's what I get for working for Uncle Sam instead of selling my soul in private practice. At least I don't have to worry about choosing between BMW & Lexus.

JohnnyMack
2/28/2006, 10:56 PM
Right now I drive a Honda Accord.

She drives a Volkswagen Touareg.

Before that I had a Honda Accord.

She had a Volkswagen Jetta.

TAFBSooner
2/28/2006, 10:57 PM
1972 - 1980: 1970 VW Fastback

1976 - 1983: 1965 Dodge Coronet wagon (inherited from Dad)

1979 - 1983: Honda 400 motorcycle

1983 - 1989: 1984 Dodge Colt Vista (room for 3 small boys)

1989 - 1997: 1989 Plymouth Voyager (small boys got bigger)

1997 - 2003: 1996 Dodge Neon (while my boys enjoyed the above van)

2003 - present: 2003 VW Passat - really fun to drive

Near future - ??: 2006 Toyota Prius. I wish they built this in the US, but I want to be ready for the gas lines. I'm sorry to say that the only US-built one of the above was (probably) the 65 Dodge. (Vista/Japan, Voyager/Canada, and Neon/Mexico).

LoyalFan
3/1/2006, 12:51 PM
My favorites among those I've owned:

New: 1963 Olds Starfire ragtop
1966 Austin-Healy 3000 ragtop (Poor man's Jag.)
1967 VW Beetle
1971 Toyota Celica GT
1978 " "
1980 " "
1983 Toyota Supra S, and...
ANOTHER one, only a different color
1984 Toyota SR-5 XtraCab P/U
Used: 1964 Corvair Turbo Spyder ragtop
1967 Pontiac Executive Station Wagon
1993 Explorer

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/1/2006, 12:53 PM
85 Nissan Stanza
89 Chevy Corsica
97 loaded Pontiac Grand Am

colleyvillesooner
3/1/2006, 04:06 PM
87 Toyota Corolla. Bland, but reliable. Maybe the best car for the money I ever had.
Currently -

'93 Honda Accord. 170,000 miles and still going, but no A/C at this time. My 17yo daughter has clipped a city bus with it, and scraped another of our cars. It's all OK, the car refuses to die. Maybe the best car for the money I ever had.

Hmmmmm.... ;)

TUSooner
3/1/2006, 04:22 PM
Currently -

Hmmmmm.... ;)
So... I can't decide which was the best car for the money. :norm:

TopDaugIn2000
3/1/2006, 04:35 PM
I say you can't go wrong with either.

1stTimeCaller
3/1/2006, 04:35 PM
1980 Cutlass Supreme
1994 Camaro Z28
Adidas and Nike running shoes for about 6 months
1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (sp?), leather, sunroof, diesel engine, factory installed CB radio. I called it the Oil Field Special.
1993 Mercury Cougar
1998 Ford Taurus
2003 Chevy 1500
2005 Pontiac G6

Redshirt
3/1/2006, 05:05 PM
1969 Chevelle (4 door, 307)
1969 VW bug
1968 VW bug (replacement parts)
1967 SS Camaro
1978 Chevette
1976 BMW 530i
1982 Ford someting-or-other
1990 Jeep Cherokee
1992 Ford Ranger
1993 Lincoln Continental
1997 Honda Accord
1995 Acura Legend
2000 Acura 3.2.tl
2002 For Condominium

Variety is the spice of life.

C&CDean
3/1/2006, 08:16 PM
Alright. Time out. Manual transmission lovers? WTF?

I guess you boys never had to drive real trucks growing up. Never had to spend hour after hour on a tractor. Never knew the pleasure of double-clutching a non-syncromesh transmission in heavy traffic.

Anybody that would spend $35K+ on a car - with a standard transmission - is a ****ing moron. If you feel the need to shift, come on over. I've got an 8-inch manual that will RYFO.

TopDaugIn2000
3/1/2006, 08:16 PM
I've got an 8-inch manual that will RYFO.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

C&CDean
3/1/2006, 08:18 PM
Hey man, it's supposed to sound like a cheap Jackie Chan line. It told you I was a bit annoyed without being too offensive, right? That's the intent. When I want to be offensive, chances are, I will offend you. ;)

As far as lightening up goes, I said that my aunt liked BMW's manual transmission. You suggested that that implied that she was a gold-digging lawyer chaser. You think that such a comment is not going to offend someone, just a little bit?

Next time you randomly mention someone in your family, and I say something unpleasant about them, do I get a free pass if I just say, "Keep your family out of my yard, and I'll keep my yard out of your family?"

Dude, knock yourself out. I've got a sister who's the town pump, several aunts who like it in the pooper, and an uncle who's a perv. Of course none of them are stupid enough to buy a manual transmission, but they're pretty much losers in all other aspects.

yermom
3/1/2006, 08:24 PM
Dude, knock yourself out. I've got a sister who's the town pump, several aunts who like it in the pooper, and an uncle who's a perv. Of course none of them are stupid enough to buy a manual transmission, but they're pretty much losers in all other aspects.

that might be the gheyest thing i have ever heard

C&CDean
3/1/2006, 08:26 PM
Oh. So you've gotta be a studly man to buy a manual transmission? Somehow driving a car with an outmoded transmission makes you virile? Who knew?

yermom
3/1/2006, 08:30 PM
outmoded?

pfft

less complex means less things to break

also, you have a LOT more control

the only time i don't like having a manual is in stop and go traffic

C&CDean
3/1/2006, 08:33 PM
outmoded?

pfft

less complex means less things to break

also, you have a LOT more control

the only time i don't like having a manual is in stop and go traffic

My modern automatic will out perform your standard, and you will replace a clutch (or 7) before I ever have to rebuild it, and I can drink a beer and 4-wheel without having to stick the beer between my legs and get suds all over my pecker.

You simply do not have an argument sir.

yermom
3/1/2006, 08:45 PM
you got me on the beer thing :D

i've only had to replace one clutch and i've had LOTS more issues with automatics

the one clutch i had to replace was bad when i got the car, and i learned to drive stick on it, it never had a chance ;)

JohnnyMack
3/1/2006, 08:51 PM

Can I come over for Thanksgiving?

C&CDean
3/1/2006, 08:53 PM
you got me on the beer thing :D

i've only had to replace one clutch and i've had LOTS more issues with automatics

the one clutch i had to replace was bad when i got the car, and i learned to drive stick on it, it never had a chance ;)

Of course the fact that you drive the vehicle of choice for the USA Olympic Goo-gobbling team does prove that you're a good American........:texan:

Oldnslo
3/1/2006, 10:36 PM
My modern automatic will out perform your standard, and you will replace a clutch (or 7) before I ever have to rebuild it, and I can drink a beer and 4-wheel without having to stick the beer between my legs and get suds all over my pecker.

You simply do not have an argument sir.
Your performance argument is plain damn wrong. Sure, some of the uber-pricey F1-style paddleshifting automatics (BMW's SMG included) will outperform a d00d with a clutch. But outside of that, you lose way too much power through a slushbox to compete with a manual.

In my life, I have replaced one clutch. One. Uno. It was on my Mustang. I put 130K miles on my M3 with the stock clutch. You want to talk about fun? Try replacing an automatic tranny. Hell, some of the new ones aren't even user-serviceable, or have special $800/gallon fluid.

As for the rest? Hell, Dean, I'm betting that a sudsy pecker is about as good as you can do these days.

sanantoniosooner
3/1/2006, 10:40 PM
Standard helps if you are short on horsepower.

Other than that I've abandoned my beloved standards for auto.

Frozen Sooner
3/1/2006, 11:12 PM
I ain't buying another manual unless it's a weekend-only car.

I didn't realize how tired I was of having to force the damn thing into first on cold mornings or what a pain in the *** it was in rush hour traffic until I got the Benz and didn't have to do those things anymore.

soonerbrat
3/1/2006, 11:31 PM
1970 something Vega. my stepdad bought it for me when i was 16. i NEVER drove it. I hated it. It was orange with a brown hood and I was embarrassed to drive it, so they ended up giving it to my younger stepsister when she turned 16

1976 corolla - it was silver..i rear ended a pickup with it..had it repaired and drove it til the engine fell out

1984 Accord - my mom helped me buy this car when I got married in 1988. drove it til it wouldn't drive anymore..not even sure what happened to it, to be honest..i think we parked it at my brother in law's apartment complex and it got towed and I never saw it again

1991 honda civic - bought brand new...drove it til the engine almost fell out..i sold it in 2000 for $2500. it had almost 200K miles on it

1993 Nissan pickup - this was actually hubby's car and i rarely drove it

2000 protege. bought it brand new after my divorce in 2000. first major purchase after my divorce all on my own. I had to fly out to virginia and drive it back because a friend of mine had a brother in law that approved me for a loan out there. drove it til last september when some idiot t-boned it and totaled it. it was almost paid off, and I was going to give it to my son.

2006 Mazda 3 - i love it. just turned 12K miles on it...got it last october after the car accident.

yermom
3/2/2006, 12:40 AM
I ain't buying another manual unless it's a weekend-only car.

I didn't realize how tired I was of having to force the damn thing into first on cold mornings or what a pain in the *** it was in rush hour traffic until I got the Benz and didn't have to do those things anymore.

if you weren't dead to me before, you are now :mad:

and yeah, i remember having issues with 1st in my WRX when it got "cold", i can only imagine what it's like up there :eek:

Frozen Sooner
3/2/2006, 12:46 AM
I've had that problem with every stick shift I've owned. Not sure what it is about low temperature that makes it hard to put a car into first.

And Mercedes owners don't have to care what Subaru owners think. ;)

BeetDigger
3/2/2006, 01:08 AM
Alright. Time out. Manual transmission lovers? WTF?

I guess you boys never had to drive real trucks growing up. Never had to spend hour after hour on a tractor. Never knew the pleasure of double-clutching a non-syncromesh transmission in heavy traffic.

Anybody that would spend $35K+ on a car - with a standard transmission - is a ****ing moron. If you feel the need to shift, come on over. I've got an 8-inch manual that will RYFO.

I spent more than my fair share on a tractor with manual transmissions. Combines, trucks, and other assorted farm machines too. It's what put me through college. Not many kids going into 8th grade had a steady summer job baling hay, which was done from midnight to 10 am so you wouldn't knock the petals off of the alfalfa. Also drove trucks with muncie 18 speed transmissions. I know **** from shinola on your farm *** and I still like the manual transmissions. Next time you go buy an automatic, be sure to tell the dealer to get you a latte in a nice pink cup. And be sure to tell him that nothing is wrong when you drink it with your pinky up. :D

yermom
3/2/2006, 01:56 AM
I've had that problem with every stick shift I've owned. Not sure what it is about low temperature that makes it hard to put a car into first.

And Mercedes owners don't have to care what Subaru owners think. ;)

yeah, it just seemed worse with the WRX for some reason, but my Jetta was pretty bad about it too

and i'll worry about what the Mercedes owner thinks when he's not getting smaller in my mirror ;)

Frozen Sooner
3/2/2006, 02:05 AM
Heh. And I'll be sure to wave at you and the nice OHP officer on the side of the road...

yermom
3/2/2006, 03:34 AM
:mad:

actually, i haven't had to deal with the OHP in a long time

Oldnslo
3/2/2006, 09:30 PM
I spent more than my fair share on a tractor with manual transmissions. Combines, trucks, and other assorted farm machines too. It's what put me through college. Not many kids going into 8th grade had a steady summer job baling hay, which was done from midnight to 10 am so you wouldn't knock the petals off of the alfalfa. Also drove trucks with muncie 18 speed transmissions. I know **** from shinola on your farm *** and I still like the manual transmissions. Next time you go buy an automatic, be sure to tell the dealer to get you a latte in a nice pink cup. And be sure to tell him that nothing is wrong when you drink it with your pinky up. :D
He shoots...

HE SCORES!

Really, after the whole sorry "VW Thing" confession, I have nothing but pity for Dean. Just too sad.

yermom
3/3/2006, 12:42 AM
dude, i'd drive a VW thing :O