PDA

View Full Version : Future of the OU-Texas series, poll?

Mac94
2/27/2006, 03:53 PM
Assuming the series goes to a home and home, what if ABC approached Oklahoma and Texas and the Big-12 and asked (with money involved) to move the game to the end of the year?

Love it, hate it, don't care?

The basic idea is that with the need for the game being linked with the 2nd week in October and the State Fair removed and this series (at least right now) being the marquee rivalry game in the Big-12, ABC may want ot move it where it can show it nationally and hype it a bit more (ala an end of the year game like Michigan-Ohio State), generating better ratings for the game and ABC. Of course, right now the Aggies and Longhorns have the last game slot and that is a marketable rivalry, but not as much as the other nationally speaking. And, ABC has move the A&M-Texas game before, moving it to early November in 1994 when A&M was on probation. Other than tradition, the current dates for both games will not be "locked in" with OU-Texas going home and home, and, as we've seen with the old OU-Nebraska series and some other things in college football, money can trump tradition. So, if this became a possibility, would you be in favor or not of playing Texas in late November?

slickdawg
2/27/2006, 04:05 PM
I'd prefer to leave it as is. Why wait to eliminate them from MNC contention?
Eliminate them early! :D

fadada1
2/27/2006, 04:05 PM
Assuming the series goes to a home and home, what if ABC approached Oklahoma and Texas and the Big-12 and asked (with money involved) to move the game to the end of the year?

NO... NO... and NO!!!!

greed and ignorance is going to ruin this rivalry.

Desert Sapper
2/27/2006, 04:07 PM
I say we bring back OU-Nebraska and make it on the Friday after Thanksgiving. And we'll switch out the other Big XII North teams every two years. Would that be so dang hard?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/27/2006, 04:16 PM
I agree. No need to screw up two rivalry games (or three if you count what they do with OSU every other year.)

CincySooner
2/27/2006, 04:18 PM
I fear change.... its not broke, so dont try to fix it.

yermom
2/27/2006, 04:21 PM
I say we bring back OU-Nebraska and make it on the Friday after Thanksgiving. And we'll switch out the other Big XII North teams every two years. Would that be so dang hard?

but then you'd have to do the same thing for each other team in the South

Texas and A&M, etc don't have any real history with a North team to choose one to play every year

Herr Scholz
2/27/2006, 04:23 PM

Texas and A&M, etc don't have any real history with a North team to choose one to play every year
We'll play Iowa State every year. No problem here.

BoomerJack
2/27/2006, 04:25 PM
When, not if, the game goes home & home, playing the game on the 2nd Sat. in October will eventually become meaningless. I would be for it if, and only if, the two Ath. Depts. get the lions share of the increased TV $$$.

Mac94
2/27/2006, 04:25 PM
its not broke, so dont try to fix it.

Well, given the home and home talk, some could say they already are.

If the home and home deal is done, the only thing keeping both games on their historic dates is tradition, and being an Aggie, I remember how much all that tradition meant in 1994 when A&M was banned from TV. ABC and the SWC was quick to move the tradition of A&M-Texas to early November and replace the game with the Texas-Baylor game so ABC could show a game in the Thanksgiving slot.

The Big-12 south has two rivalries that are really marketable; first being OU-Texas, the second being A&M-Texas. But, right now, the 2nd week in October is a much "fuller" time slot in terms of games available for ABC. Even being the biggest matchup in the Big-12, let alone the south division, it is rarely a national game.

So, is it possible that ABC could want to move it to a more favorable weekend to maximize coverage and hype?

CincySooner
2/27/2006, 04:30 PM
eh... I guess I'm still in denial about the game going h-and-h

BoomerJack
2/27/2006, 04:54 PM
I would be for it.

JohnnyMack
2/27/2006, 04:57 PM
People like you should be burned at the stake. Stop talking about money and start talking tradition.

Taxman71
2/27/2006, 04:58 PM
I would be for it if only to quit having to listening to the Pukes whine about moving the game every year.

Mac94
2/28/2006, 10:29 AM
Taxman -

I thought is was OU that wasn't happy about the move of Bedlam this season as it forces OU for face 4 of their last 5 on the road and give oSu their virtual end of the year bowl game.

Taxman71
2/28/2006, 10:37 AM
That's my point. OU prefers to play the game as scheduled to avoid the scenario you mentioned. Every year that OU resists moving the game to Thanksgiving weekend, the pukes start their whole "OU is scared" campaign.

I am 100% opposed to moving the OU-Texas out of Dallas and will fight it to the death. HOWEVER, if the game is not in Dallas at the State Fairgrounds, there is no reason to have it on the 2nd Saturday in October. Since the game always decides the Big 12 North champion, I would rather it become a Thanksgiving weekend tradition since OU-Nebraska is gone forever.

Besides, the Bedlam football rivalry has come out of its 10-year anomaly and is now firmly back to OU dominance.

Desert Sapper
2/28/2006, 10:52 AM

I don't care about the Whorns or the Aggots. Besides, the only teams it would really effect would be Nebraska and Oklahoma. Everyone else could stay round robbin. It would just take a little more creativity and would mean OU and NU wouldn't play the same teams every two years. It would also mean that there would be a 4 year separation instead of two on occasion. Really, though, who gives a f***. Bring OU - NU back as an annual battle.

Like this.

2008 & 2009

OU v. NU
OU v. KU
OU v. K-State

2010 & 2011

OU v. NU
OU v. MU
OU v. ISU

2012 & 2013

OU v. NU
OU v. KU
OU v. CU

Mac94
2/28/2006, 11:02 AM
Sapper -

I would be GREAT for Oklahoma and the Big-12 to have the historic Sooner - Cornhusker rivalry renued anually. I would think the TV people would love to have that game around yearly, and it would be a great end of the year game for OU and the Huskers.

Of course, Nebraksa currently plays Colorado on Thanksgiving weekend, and I'm sure the Buffs would scream about losing that spot, but I wonder how the Husker fans would feel, NU-CU or OU-NU to finish the year?

Desert Sapper
2/28/2006, 11:07 AM
Let the Buffs play the 'skers on the weekend before we play them. I don't care. I just want my damn Thanksgiving tradition back.

Mac94
2/28/2006, 11:12 AM
Sapper -

Yup, alot of good memories of some cold november OU-NU games in Norman. Playing oSu at the end isn't horrible, OU did that alot in the old Big-8 days; playing Nebraska then oSu, but not seeing the Huskers at years end still seems "wrong." It's still weird to see OU finish up with the likes of Tech or Baylor instead of Nebraska.

Taxman71
2/28/2006, 11:28 AM
To me, the Big 12 has forever erased the OU-Nebraska rivalry, regardless of when it is played. The 2000 game was special, but every one since has failed to even approach the pre-Big 12 electricity. Sure, it is a big game with lots of history, but I doubt it could ever match the level from the 70s and 80s again.

On a related note, those fans who think a home and home with Texas would help matters should see the dilution of the OU-Nebraska rivalry. The same loss of electricity would result.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/28/2006, 12:07 PM
I like the idea of playing tx in Oct. to eliminate them from Natl. contention early, and then playing nebbish the fri. after thanksgiving. ATM and tx can play on thanksgiving day if they want. Put them opposite the pro game. The heck with the ok aggy. Maybe play them in late Oct. or early Nov.

Taxman71
2/28/2006, 02:56 PM
To me, OU-Texas is so early in the season that the loser still has a good shot at the NC game if they run the table and can do without having to risk losing in the Big 12 Championship game. A late November loss should all but eliminate the loser from the NC.

3/1/2006, 12:37 AM
To me, OU-Texas is so early in the season that the loser still has a good shot at the NC game if they run the table and can do without having to risk losing in the Big 12 Championship game. A late November loss should all but eliminate the loser from the NC.I think it's a stretch for the loser of the OU-tx game in Oct. to have much of a shot at the NC. A lot of other teams would have to lose before the loser of the OU-tx game would be back in the title picture. In addition, I don't want the media to be ballyhooing tx for the entire season, before we have a shot at them.:mack:

Texas Horned Lizard
3/1/2006, 07:52 AM
It looks like the handwriting is on the wall as far as the UT Powers-that-Be goes. They are already planning a post RRR......

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4036190&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Octavian
3/1/2006, 09:13 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2306574

Updated: Jan. 26, 2006, 12:34 AM ET

OU opens talks to extend Cotton Bowl deal Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma board of regents on Wednesday authorized athletic director Joe Castiglione to negotiate with Dallas city officials an extension that would allow the annual football game against the University of Texas to continue at the Cotton Bowl.

The current agreement calls for the OU-Texas game to be held at the Cotton Bowl through 2008.

"Fans want to continue the tradition of the universities meeting in Dallas," OU President David Boren said Wednesday.

Dallas city leaders pledged to add more than 16,000 seats under a remodeling plan unveiled last month, but Dallas Mayor Laura Miller has said she wanted extended commitments from both schools before making improvements.

The nearly $50 million proposal would upgrade seats, concession stands, scoreboards and restrooms to the decaying 75-year-old stadium. Seating capacity would increase to 92,100 under the 34-proposal that was to be submitted to the City Council.

Hope it works...moving OU-Texas away from the Cotton Bowl and the Fair would be comparable to the destruction of the Boston Garden. Those that want it have no souls.

Taxman71
3/1/2006, 09:38 AM
It looks like the handwriting is on the wall as far as the UT Powers-that-Be goes. They are already planning a post RRR......

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4036190&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Frightening to see whorns and Sooners thinking alike.

Desert Sapper
3/1/2006, 10:13 AM
To me, the Big 12 has forever erased the OU-Nebraska rivalry, regardless of when it is played. The 2000 game was special, but every one since has failed to even approach the pre-Big 12 electricity. Sure, it is a big game with lots of history, but I doubt it could ever match the level from the 70s and 80s again.

The 2001 game was pretty big, too, but it was there and we lost. That usually takes the air out of the sails. I think if both teams are back at the pinnacle of their respective divisions in the Big XII, it will soon be up there again. It won't take but two or three years of top-flight NU teams playing top-flight OU teams for the game to be what it once was. That game was big because it almost always determined the Big 8 conference champion in the '70s and '80s. The only way I can see it realistically returning to prominence is if the Big XII North reaches the level of the Big XII South in competitiveness, Nebraska ends up on top nearly every year, OU ends up on top nearly every year, and the Big XII championship is more than a meeting of the Big XII South Champ and the Big XII North sacrificial lamb.

Taxman71
3/1/2006, 10:44 AM
Frankly, I think Nebraska is a long way from dominating the Big 12 North division. With all of Colorado's problems, they still have been the dominant team and the Husker's coaching staff has steadily gone downhill since Dr. Tom left (sound familiar?).

In any event, unless the game (OU-Neb) is played every year, no rivalry will exist. It just won't stay fresh in people's minds. Imagine if Nebraska fans were yelling "Oh yeah, just wait until 2008" after last year's game. Even if we play in the Big 12 CG, we will have all of 1 week to get excited about it as opposed to being on the schedule for an entire year.

3/1/2006, 03:42 PM
I've got it! OK and tx need to jointly fund and build a Red River Stadium Barge. Put it directly in the center of the Red River, and build diversion canals around the stadium/barge for when the river is flowing.Monster parking lots can also be built on both sides of the river, with pedestrian bridges over the diversion canals, leading to the stadium. Someone notify David Boren.

bustedplay
3/2/2006, 09:12 PM
I agree with the idea, because when one of the programs is down, the hype on ABC goes to the east coast rival teams.

BoomerJack
3/3/2006, 09:37 AM
I've got it! OK and tx need to jointly fund and build a Red River Stadium Barge. Put it directly in the center of the Red River, and build diversion canals around the stadium/barge for when the river is flowing.Monster parking lots can also be built on both sides of the river, with pedestrian bridges over the diversion canals, leading to the stadium. Someone notify David Boren.

That's a great idea!!! All we have to do it convince a few wealthy folks from Dubai, U.A.E. to pay for it.

3/3/2006, 12:23 PM
That's a great idea!!! All we have to do it convince a few wealthy folks from Dubai, U.A.E. to pay for it....or allow more U.S. oil exploration and production, allowing the American people to keep more of their money, and citizens of OK and tx would pay for it. The Red River Barge Stadium Commission could also charge for lighted night fishing in the river.:)

BoomerJack
3/4/2006, 08:58 AM
From the few posts I read on that hornfans thread, it seems that the OU-UT game at the Cotton Bowl is totally dead, RIP, finito, over with after the current contract. Is that true? Did I miss something over the last 3-4 weeks?

3/4/2006, 11:31 AM
All we got is rumor, speculation, innuendo, and Castiglioni saying we might reconsider something or other in the Cotton Bowl.