PDA

View Full Version : Windows networking frustration

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 03:23 PM
We have a Windows domain set up here at work. There's a laptop that's sometimes connected to the domain but sometimes not as laptops are wont to do. So, I set up cached logins on the laptop and everything is great. However....

I tried logging onto the laptop while it was connected to the network (i.e. it could see the domain controller) but it wouldn't let me. I changed my domain password since the last time I logged in to the laptop, so I used my old password after fumbling around to remember it. Since the laptop was connected to the network why was it using my cached login instead?

And this is the really weird thing--the laptop let me login with my old password, but the domain locked my account out for too many failed login attempts. So, the domain server knew I was trying to login on the laptop, but the laptop didn't grab my new password from the domain server. What gives?

Pieces Hit
2/27/2006, 03:34 PM
Sounds like there's a nut loose behind the mouse. :)

NormanPride
2/27/2006, 03:36 PM
What settings did you have as a local user on the box?

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 03:42 PM
What settings did you have as a local user on the box?

Which settings are you talking about?

I login as a domain user on the laptop. The laptop caches domain logins so you can still use it when it's not connected to the network. I assumed (bad idea with Windows) that the next time the laptop was connected to the network it would stop using cached logins and defer to the domain controller again.

Sooner_Bob
2/27/2006, 03:46 PM
This would've never happened if you would've attended Pre-K.

:D

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 03:47 PM
This would've never happened if you would've attended Pre-K.

I knew that was coming as soon as I saw your name. :D

NormanPride
2/27/2006, 04:00 PM
So you're not defined as a local user on the box, just a domain user? Hmm... no clue.

yermom
2/27/2006, 04:01 PM
i've had issues with this, i think a reboot somewhere in the process was needed

seen accounts locked more than once like that though

i just don't join the domain anymore for the most part, i'll just login when i need to map a drive or something now

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 04:02 PM
So you're not defined as a local user on the box, just a domain user? Hmm... no clue.

Right. It has something to do with the caching of domain logins.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/27/2006, 04:39 PM
what kind of windows server is it? because we used to have issues with this from a 2000 OS on the laptop to a 2003 server controller. you used to manually have to synch the passwords between the server/laptop. saddenly, the guy that figured out the problem is a firefighter now so i can't ask him.

yermom
2/27/2006, 04:42 PM
this isn't the campus domain is it?

Mjcpr
2/27/2006, 04:43 PM
saddenly, the guy that figured out the problem is a firefighter now so i can't ask him.

Why......did he hate money?

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 04:44 PM
what kind of windows server is it?

Windows XP Pro on the laptop, Windows NT 4 on the domain controller. :O

I've logged in on the laptop several times now, and it refuses to sync with the domain controller. Whenever I try to access a domain resource it asks for my username and password, so I'm clearly logged in to the laptop but not the domain.

I could disable cached logins, login, and then turn on cached logins again, but that seems to defeat the purpose of cached logins.

yermom
2/27/2006, 04:45 PM
yikes.

yermom
2/27/2006, 04:45 PM
why do you hate security? :P

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/27/2006, 04:46 PM
Why......did he hate money?

firefighters make more than a domain guy up here

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/27/2006, 04:48 PM
Windows XP Pro on the laptop, Windows NT 4 on the domain controller. :O

same issue, only in reverse. you have to have 2003 on the domain controller or you are going to have to manually synch the passwords. you can google the problem to see if someone else has come up with a fix.

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 04:48 PM
this isn't the campus domain is it?

Nope, departmental.

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 04:50 PM
why do you hate security? :P

Why do you hate soft-funded departments??

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/27/2006, 04:53 PM
okay, i'll look it up in the handy dandy knowledgebase. my project ends in 1 month so you'd better get your microsoft questions in before the end. they are now talking about sending me to starbucks. at that time, i will entertain only coffee questions...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/27/2006, 04:53 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236111/en-us

Partial Qualifier
2/27/2006, 05:06 PM
or maybe this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318266/en-us

Once you log in with the cached domain password, and try to access a resource, are you then prompted for credentials and does that work successfully?

If so, that would rule out a funny thing we had happen with a notebook's "numerical keypad" feature, which caused symptoms very similiar to what you describe. A user's new password had characters which were affected when the notebook's numerical keypad was "engaged", but his old password - which was cached locally on that notebook - only used characters which werent affected by the num. keypad being turned on.

Partial Qualifier
2/27/2006, 05:10 PM
Could also be a problem with the computer's account in the domain - with NT4 you have to remove it from the domain & re-add it to fix those types of problems.

NormanPride
2/27/2006, 05:17 PM
So you're just contracted out to Microsoft, jkm? Or are you part of a consulting team for them?

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 05:31 PM
Once you log in with the cached domain password, and try to access a resource, are you then prompted for credentials and does that work successfully?

Yes.

All of our desktops are either WinXP or Win2K, and they have no problem with the NT 4 server. It's only a laptop that has a problem, and it's all but certainly related to cached logons.

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 05:31 PM
Could also be a problem with the computer's account in the domain - with NT4 you have to remove it from the domain & re-add it to fix those types of problems.

Hmmmm...maybe so. I'll take a look at that.

Hamhock
2/27/2006, 05:33 PM
I have nothing useful to add to this thread.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/27/2006, 05:42 PM
So you're just contracted out to Microsoft, jkm? Or are you part of a consulting team for them?

i'm just doing a project here. norm would kill me if i were full time...

mdklatt
2/27/2006, 05:49 PM
For everbody waiting with baited breath, the problem seems to have fixed itself. Maybe when I accessed a domain resource and entered my username and current password for that everything became hunky dory. It's a good thing I remembered my old password, though. That'll teach me to change my password. :eek:

Incidentally, I do not get a message--as promised--that Windows is using cached credentials when it can't find the domain controller. I tried this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242536/en-us) to no avail. No matter; you've got to choose your networking battles wisely.

Sooner_Bob
2/27/2006, 05:51 PM
I knew that was coming as soon as I saw your name. :D

Heh . . . you lob'em up . . . :D

Stoop Dawg
2/27/2006, 06:38 PM
they are now talking about sending me to starbucks. at that time, i will entertain only coffee questions...

Go ahead and put this one on the list:

1. Why does Starbucks make such ****ty coffee?