PDA

View Full Version : Hustle & Flow

proud gonzo
2/26/2006, 06:01 PM
I've been trying to watch as many of the oscar nominated flicks as I can before next sunday and I just got Hustle & Flow. I have a half hour left to watch (taking a dinner break) and i'm surprised that it's actually turning into a compelling story... the first half hour was awful. But after that it picked up and is actually pretty good (if you can stand rap).

Surprising for a movie about a drug-dealing, rapper wannabe pimp and his hos. :eek:

I can see why this guy is nominated for an Oscar especially after comparing this role to his role in Crash. wow. BIG change.

oh, and now I have "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" stuck in my head.

ChickSoonerFan
2/26/2006, 06:22 PM
Which guy from Crash is it? I watched Crash for the first time Friday night and loved it. I thought it was a really good movie.

proud gonzo
2/26/2006, 06:58 PM
He was the married black guy who gets pulled over by the cops. Who tells the thug carjacker "You embarass me. You embarass yourself."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/graphics/slideshows/crash/cthandie.jpg vs. http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2005/jul/hustle/howard200.jpg

JohnnyMack
2/26/2006, 07:01 PM
Why don't you just go hang out at :dolemite:'s place instead?

proud gonzo
2/26/2006, 07:06 PM
no thank yew

ChickSoonerFan
2/26/2006, 07:07 PM
Loved him!!

So which role are you saying he did better in? Crash or Hustle & Flow?

proud gonzo
2/26/2006, 07:10 PM
I think he did a wonderful job in each role, I was just surprised with how radically different they are.

Hustle & Flow is weird though... the entire first half hour i was thinking about turning off the movie and only stopped myself because of the oscar nominations. But the more of the movie I watch the more i like it.

ChickSoonerFan
2/26/2006, 07:15 PM
OK...got it. Let me know when it is over if you recommend renting it. Sounds like you do so far.

Crash was amazing. But, I do not think in reality, people verbalize those feeling as much as they did in the movie. The impact of hearing people say those things was strong. Just my opinion.

proud gonzo
2/26/2006, 07:19 PM
I think that's what made Crash such a strong movie. People do think those things a lot, but hearing all of it put into words and expressed was powerful. You realize just how abundant the stereotypes are.

I'll have to watch the last half hour of the movie later (i have a rehearsal pretty soon) but if you can stand memphis accents, swearing, rap...well, and a story about a pimp and his prostitutes, it's pretty good.

ChickSoonerFan
2/26/2006, 07:22 PM
I think that's what made Crash such a strong movie. People do think those things a lot, but hearing all of it put into words and expressed was powerful. You realize just how abundant the stereotypes are.

I'll have to watch the last half hour of the movie later (i have a rehearsal pretty soon) but if you can stand memphis accents, swearing, rap...well, and a story about a pimp and his prostitutes, it's pretty good.

Agreed.

And as for the other movie...uuuummm. I'll think about it. ;)

KC//CRIMSON
2/26/2006, 09:42 PM
I've been trying to watch as many of the oscar nominated flicks as I can before next sunday and I just got Hustle & Flow. I have a half hour left to watch (taking a dinner break) and i'm surprised that it's actually turning into a compelling story... the first half hour was awful. But after that it picked up and is actually pretty good (if you can stand rap).

Surprising for a movie about a drug-dealing, rapper wannabe pimp and his hos. :eek:

I can see why this guy is nominated for an Oscar especially after comparing this role to his role in Crash. wow. BIG change.

oh, and now I have "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" stuck in my head.

Saw it a couple of weeks ago. It is pretty good.

LoyalFan
2/26/2006, 09:51 PM
(if you can stand rap).

I can't. I won't. And I hope I nevar, nevar do.

LF

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 11:17 AM
Just finished the movie--pretty good. I give it an unexpected thumbs up.

Boomer.....
2/27/2006, 11:50 AM
Which guy from Crash is it? I watched Crash for the first time Friday night and loved it. I thought it was a really good movie.

I think that Ludacris in both of them

JohnnyMack
2/27/2006, 12:01 PM
Just finished the movie--pretty good. I give it an unexpected thumbs up.

You're the slowest movie watcher evar.

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 03:26 PM
i had crap to do! I'm squeezing movies in between classes and rehearsals

BeetDigger
2/27/2006, 03:30 PM
i had crap to do! I'm squeezing movies in between classes and rehearsals and reading crummy scripts that people keep giving me to critique

Fixed.

proud gonzo
2/27/2006, 03:35 PM
yeah. that too.