PDA

View Full Version : planning a garden...

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 04:08 PM
Our yard is butt ugly.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8924/p10100406zp.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10100406zp.jpg)http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4176/p10100414ko.th.jpg (http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10100414ko.jpg)http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1919/p10100426hw.th.jpg (http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10100426hw.jpg)

GHP already ordeed pepper and tomato plants that we'll get in the spring. I've been doing my own research to decide what else to put in the yard. I'm going to turn the whole back corner into a nice garden. tomatoes, peppers, and lots of herbs (and probably raspberries). And the rest is going to be a flower garden. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to plant, but basically it'll be as much as I have money for :D There will definitely be rose bushes though. I just haven't decided which ones i like best. there are so many...

I'm also probably going to add a redbud tree and possibly a flowering cherry tree.

Anyone else planning spring gardening projects?

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2006, 04:10 PM
yes but i'm undecided as to what i want to do

i cut down 3 very large photinnia bushes at the opposite end of the pool.....now i just need to figure out what to put there that will grow to the top of the fence and provide a little cover

also going to be redoing the garden on the side of the pool, and the flower beds in front of the house

BoogercountySooner
2/25/2006, 04:12 PM
yes but i'm undecided as to what i want to do

i cut down 3 very large photinnia bushes at the opposite end of the pool.....now i just need to figure out what to put there that will grow to the top of the fence and provide a little cover

also going to be redoing the garden on the side of the pool, and the flower beds in front of the house

Crepe Mirtles or rose of Sharon should fit the bill for you!:)

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2006, 04:15 PM
i've thought about crepe myrtles, we have them on the side of the house and the front, but the little flowers dropping in the pool are a pain

ok, looked at the rose of sharon......i like that, need to see how doable that is for where i need it

BoogercountySooner
2/25/2006, 04:26 PM
Rose of Sharon can pop up anywhere onse yo get them established. You just got to keep them cut back to the ground.

Okieflyer
2/25/2006, 04:33 PM
Don't do it. It's just a lot of work.

Think concrete.

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 04:36 PM
I'm narrowing down which types of roses I want but i'm stuck with 7 I really like. I'd be spending more than I wanted to on roses.... but i'd probably go with fewer other types of flowers.

http://gurneys.com/images/prodimage_large/13446.jpghttp://www.parkseed.com/product_images/45063.jpghttp://www.parkseed.com/product_images/45058.jpghttp://www.parkseed.com/product_images/45481.jpghttp://www.naturehills.com/product_images/otherimages/rose_easygoing_1.jpghttp://gurneys.com/images/prodimage_large/10092.jpg
http://www.parkseed.com/product_images/45475.jpg

SoonerInFla
2/25/2006, 04:39 PM
o many...

I'm also probably going to add a redbud tree

Is that legal now?

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 04:46 PM
i've thought about crepe myrtles, we have them on the side of the house and the front, but the little flowers dropping in the pool are a pain

ok, looked at the rose of sharon......i like that, need to see how doable that is for where i need it

rose of sharon are nice... they don't drop blossoms TOO much. they use them at the zoo a lot because they aren't harmful to any of the birds, and they have nice folliage as well as blooms. (hummingbirds like them too :D )

TopDaugIn2000
2/25/2006, 04:47 PM
I'm planting a container vegetable garden this year. I used to garden every summer with my grandpa, and I sure miss doing that. So I decided to do one myself. I rent so I can't really till up my yard, and the soil in my yard probably wouldn't grow anything but weeds, so I decided to use containers.
Starting my seeds indoors this weekend. Can't WAIT to start getting produce in a few weeks!!!

Planting:
Peppers (hot and mild)
Cucumbers (they'll be growing on the fence)
Yellow Squash
Zucchini Squash
Carrots
Lettuce (a variety of leaf lettuce)
Raddishes
Strawberries
Okra
Eggplant
Tomatoes

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 04:47 PM
Is that legal now?
is what legal?

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 04:48 PM
I'm planting a container vegetable garden this year. I used to garden every summer with my grandpa, and I sure miss doing that. So I decided to do one myself. I rent so I can't really till up my yard, and the soil in my yard probably wouldn't grow anything but weeds, so I decided to use containers.
Starting my seeds indoors this weekend. Can't WAIT to start getting produce in a few weeks!!!

Planting:
Peppers (hot and mild)
Cucumbers (they'll be growing on the fence)
Yellow Squash
Zucchini Squash
Carrots
Lettuce (a variety of leaf lettuce)
Raddishes
Strawberries
Okra
Eggplant
Tomatoes

ooh, awesome! i wish i had time for a vegetable garden.... plus our yard is bermuda, so i'll have to work really hard to keep it from taking over my whole garden, no matter what I plant. :O

Tailwind
2/25/2006, 04:48 PM
Nice selection of roses, PG. When I lived in Cali I had a large backyard that had rose bushes along the entire fence, and in one corner, an airy fern that went very nicely with the rose arrangements. I had fresh flowers for the house all summer long. *sigh*

TopDaugIn2000
2/25/2006, 04:51 PM
oh, I got my seeds from parkseeds.com

they have several varieties that are meant for containers or small gardens, yet yeild full sized fruit

Tailwind
2/25/2006, 04:52 PM
What I'd like to plant:
Tomatillos
Tomatos
Serano chiles
Jalepenos
Habenero chiles
Anaheim chiles (great for Rellenos)
Garlic
Onion, both green and yellow
Marigolds to help keep the bad bugs away

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 04:54 PM
marigolds do that? I knew it was something like that, but couldn't remember... isn't there some sort of herb that also keeps stuff away from your plants??

ChickSoonerFan
2/25/2006, 04:56 PM
I have rose bushes in our back yard from the people who owned it before me. I wish I knew how to better take care of them. But the red roses grow right by my back window and I love nothing more than to go out and cut some off and put them in my house. The deep red long stem styled roses...that is what they are and they are amazing to have all around the house. Love it. Do the red ones.

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2006, 05:01 PM
we had rose bushes in our yard at the rent house before we were here, i kept the dead stuff pruned and put "rose food" around the base....they were really tall and cranked out some nice roses on a regular basis

ChickSoonerFan
2/25/2006, 05:07 PM
we had rose bushes in our yard at the rent house before we were here, i kept the dead stuff pruned and put "rose food" around the base....they were really tall and cranked out some nice roses on a regular basis

I think I might be pruning them too much. The ones in the back are little pink like "clusters" of roses..not much smell but pretty in a vase. They have just about completely taken over the back fence area. I think it is too big because the flowers have brown areas on them sometimes. I think the size of the bush itself is taking up too much of the nutrients from the flowers. Does that make sense?

BoogercountySooner
2/25/2006, 05:11 PM
Another awesome bush is the Burning Bush. They don't bloom any flowers but are an awesome red in the Fall when thier leaves change! Also the Butterfly bush is nice they bloom a nice flower but they don't grow real thick a Cardinal Bush is similar with nice red blooms.

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 05:12 PM
I think I might be pruning them too much. The ones in the back are little pink like "clusters" of roses..not much smell but pretty in a vase. They have just about completely taken over the back fence area. I think it is too big because the flowers have brown areas on them sometimes. I think the size of the bush itself is taking up too much of the nutrients from the flowers. Does that make sense?

yeah, that makes sense. instead of making awesome blooms it's purring its energy into getting bigger.

ChickSoonerFan
2/25/2006, 05:19 PM
yeah, that makes sense. instead of making awesome blooms it's purring its energy into getting bigger.

Exactly. But the more I prune it back, the bigger it gets.

I really should have someone come over at least once who really knows what they are doing.

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2006, 05:23 PM
some of our roses had almost no smell whatsoever, they were beautiful in bloom but no fragrance

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 05:36 PM
some of our roses had almost no smell whatsoever, they were beautiful in bloom but no fragrance
yeah, a lot of them are bred so much for looks (or disease resistance, hardiness, etc.) they don't have much scent. My mom always complains about that with most rose bushes you find. Most of the one's i'm looking at are supposed to have really nice fragrance.

ChickSoonerFan
2/25/2006, 05:37 PM
When do you plant rose bushes?

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 05:39 PM
I don't have a clue... the website I want to order from sends your plants at ideal planting time for your region. supposedly.

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2006, 05:40 PM
QVC has some rose "trees" on their website.....kind of odd looking, but also kinda cool....they are 3 feet tall with a "ball" of roses at the top.....and they've got them in all different colors

its amazing how they can cross breed colors to come up with new ones

ChickSoonerFan
2/25/2006, 05:41 PM
oh good...I would totally screw that up otherwise. :O

TopDaugIn2000
2/25/2006, 05:42 PM
yeah, I got all my seeds right after I ordered them, but my strawberry plants won't be sent until it's the right time for my region.

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2006, 05:44 PM
i had planned to put tulip bulbs in the landscaped area next to the pool......totally slipped my mind :(

Tailwind
2/25/2006, 06:15 PM
marigolds do that? I knew it was something like that, but couldn't remember... isn't there some sort of herb that also keeps stuff away from your plants??
Your post got me curious, so I looked it up and here is what I found.

BASIL: Plant with tomatoes to improve growth and flavor and to repel flies and mosquitoes. Do not plant near rue.

BAY LEAF: A fresh leaf bay leaf in each storage container of beans or grains will deter weevils and moths. Sprinkle with other deterrent herbs in garden as natural insecticide dust.

BEE BALM (Oswego): Plant with tomatoes to improve growth and flavor.

BORAGE: Companion plant for tomatoes, squash and strawberries. Deters tomato worms.

CARAWAY: Good for loosening compacted soil.

CATNIP: Deters flea beetles.

CAMOMILE: Improves flavor of cabbages and onions.

CHERVIL: Companion to radishes for improved growth and flavor.

CHIVES: Improves growth and flavor of carrots.

DILL: Improves growth and health of cabbage. Do not plant near carrots.

FENNEL: Most plants dislike it. Plant to itself.

FLAX: Plant with carrots, and potatoes.

GARLIC: Plant near roses to repel aphids.

GOPHER PURGE: Deters gophers, and moles.

HORSERADISH: Plant in potato patch to keep away potato bugs.

HYSSOP: Companion plant to cabbage and grapes, deters cabbage moths. Do not plant near radishes.

KELP: When used in a powder mixture or tea spray, this versatile sea herb will not only repel insects but feed the vegetables.

LEMON BALM: Sprinkle throughout the garden in an herbal powder mixture.

LOVAGE: Improves flavor and health of most plants.

MARIGOLDS (Calendula): The workhorse of pest deterrents. Keeps soil free of nematodes; discourages many insects. Plant freely throughout the garden.

MARJORAM: Improves flavor of all vegetables.

MINT: Deters white cabbage moths, and improves the health of cabbage and tomatoes.

MOLE PLANTS: Deter moles and mice if planted here and there throughout the garden.

NASTURTIUMS: Plant with tomatoes, radishes, cabbage, cucumbers, and under fruit trees. Deters aphids and pests of curcurbit family.

PARSLEY: Plant and sprinkle on tomatoes, and asparagus.

PEPPERMINT: Repels white cabbage moths.

PETUNIAS: Remember mom or grandma planting these? She had good reason, even though she may have only planted them for tradition's sake. They repel the asparagus beetle, tomato worm and general garden pests. Also, a good companion to tomatoes, but plant everywhere.

PURSLANE: This edible weed makes good ground cover in the corn. Use the stems, leaves and seeds in stirfrys. Pickle the green seed pod for capers.

ROSEMARY: Companion plant to cabbage, beans, carrots and sage. Deters cabbage moths, bean beetles, and carrot flies.

RUE: Deters Japanese beetles in roses and raspberries.

SAGE: Companion plant with rosemary, cabbage, and carrots to deter cabbage moths, beetles, carrot flies. Do not plant near cucumbers.

SOUTHERNWOOD: Plant with cabbage, and here and there in the garden.

SUMMER SAVORY: Plant with beans and onions to improve growth and flavor. Discourages cabbage moths.

TANSY: Plant with fruit trees, roses and raspberries. Deters flying insects, Japanese beetles, striped cucumber beetles, squash bugs, and ants.

TARRAGON: Plant throughout the garden, not many pests like this one.

THYME: Deters cabbage worms.

VALERIAN: Good anywhere in the garden, as a powder.

WORMWOOD: Keeps animals out of the garden when planted as a border.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 06:21 PM
awesome! thanks, tailwind :D

jk the sooner fan
2/25/2006, 06:22 PM
pg - check out that QVC website

Tailwind
2/25/2006, 06:24 PM
No prob PG.....saved it in "My Docs" for my garden too. :D

AlbqSooner
2/25/2006, 06:26 PM
Garlic is a great natural insecticide. Dill weed is called dill weed because it is a weed. Plant a little of it and it starts sprouting up all over the place. Garlic tends to spread itself too.

Roses should be cut back - not just pruned - after the first freeze in the winter. My grandmother said count from the bottom up and cut at the fifth leaf. If you ever see the stubby little bushes they sell for planting, that is what they should look like in the winter. It is scary to cut so much of them off, but that is the way they should be done to come back strong and bearing lots of flowers in the spring. Hack them babies wayyyyy back.

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 06:32 PM
pg - check out that QVC website
those are really interesting--never seen rose trees before

http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/m/71/m10371.003

Jimminy Crimson
2/25/2006, 06:42 PM
pg, you should head up to the cox center downtown for the home & garden show this weekend to get some idears and get you in the gardening mood. parking is free at the santa fe garage. i'll be there tomorrow. paul james 'the gardening guy' and kenneth brown of 'redesign', both on HGTV are going to be there.

as for redbuds and flowering cherry trees: lowes always has some nice sized balled & burlapped trees this time of year for around $25 a pop. i prefer the yoshino to the kwanzan on the cherry trees. i think they also have whitebuds and flowering pansy redbuds (same as redbud, but purple tinted foliage)

and marigolds do a nice job of keeping crawly critters away from tomatos and peppers, but it is always smart to keep a supply of sevin dust around.

proud gonzo
2/25/2006, 06:52 PM
pg, you should head up to the cox center downtown for the home & garden show this weekend to get some idears and get you in the gardening mood. parking is free at the santa fe garage. i'll be there tomorrow. paul james 'the gardening guy' and kenneth brown of 'redesign', both on HGTV are going to be there.

as for redbuds and flowering cherry trees: lowes always has some nice sized balled & burlapped trees this time of year for around $25 a pop. i prefer the yoshino to the kwanzan on the cherry trees. i think they also have whitebuds and flowering pansy redbuds (same as redbud, but purple tinted foliage)

and marigolds do a nice job of keeping crawly critters away from tomatos and peppers, but it is always smart to keep a supply of sevin dust around.

i didn't know about the home and garden show... I might have to go tomorrow if i get time.

WhiteRiverSooner
2/25/2006, 08:02 PM
If you are fairly new to gardening, I would suggest you look at the HGTV.com gardening message boards. They are very knowledgeable, helpful and nice people there.

You can post the picture of your backyard there and some of the folks have garden design programs they will use to give you some ideas. You can only post a picture on the General gardening board.

People also share plants and seeds for free on that site. They love helping new gardeners. I used to be very active there, but I had to go back to work.
There are other Sooners there, too.

Jimminy Crimson
2/25/2006, 08:03 PM
People also share plants and seeds for free on that site.

[Ricky Williams]It's true[/Ricky Williams] ;)

Al Gore
2/25/2006, 08:13 PM
[Ricky Williams]It's true[/Ricky Williams] ;)weed spek......

IB4OU2
2/25/2006, 09:01 PM
We have several different type gardens on our acreage, 3 rose gardens, 1 butterfly garden, 1 large herb garden with a pond and water garden, 1 straw berry garden and a vegetable garden not to mention the azalea garden we started year before last. My wife loves gardening particulary roses, flowers and herbs. She spends hours on end tending them spring, summer and fall. We have been watering rose bushes and azaleas all winter long due to the current drought but the beauty she brought to the place we live now and places wev'e lived in the past is well worth the cost and effort.

We have a tiller and thats normally my job after she decides the location, then the rest she creates. She's pretty much into the old english style of gardening.....I'll have to post some pictures later this spring and summer
and PG I bet she could help with your rose selection if you want.

Tailwind
2/25/2006, 09:18 PM
That sounds really lovely IB4. Do take some pics later.

IB4OU2
2/26/2006, 12:28 AM
That sounds really lovely IB4. Do take some pics later.

Will do......:)

proud gonzo
2/26/2006, 11:38 AM
Is there somewhere in Norman that sells topsoil? I don't mean piddly little bags of it, either. I need a bunch hauled in for our yard. We need to fill in a bunch of holes (the people who lived here previous to us had a dog that destroyed the yard). Plus the dirt in our yard is horrible and I want some better soil before I plant anything.

Flagstaffsooner
2/26/2006, 12:00 PM
You can hire Lid to keep pests out of your garden for a small fee.

http://www.stevetinsky.com/photos/bm2001/scarecrow.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
2/26/2006, 01:23 PM
Is there somewhere in Norman that sells topsoil? I don't mean piddly little bags of it, either. I need a bunch hauled in for our yard. We need to fill in a bunch of holes (the people who lived here previous to us had a dog that destroyed the yard). Plus the dirt in our yard is horrible and I want some better soil before I plant anything.

Get a copy of the Transcript and look in the lawncare/handyman classified ads part. Quite a few of the yard dudes will have topsoil listed in their ad.

GottaHavePride
2/26/2006, 02:40 PM
now i just need to figure out what to put there that will grow to the top of the fence and provide a little cover

Best idea ever: hops vine. Then you can homebrew.

http://www.indianspringherbs.com/Images/hops.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
2/26/2006, 02:49 PM
only you, GHP! :D

good idea though

Jimminy Crimson
2/26/2006, 03:12 PM
Off to the Cox Center I go. Paul James is on at 3. Show is open until 6, so theres plenty time to make it out...

proud gonzo
2/26/2006, 03:25 PM
only you, GHP! :D

good idea though
only after I told him you can buy those ;)

proud gonzo
2/26/2006, 03:33 PM
oh no... i found another rose that I like :eek:

http://www.parkseed.com/product_images/45062.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
2/26/2006, 03:44 PM
No prob PG.....saved it in "My Docs" for my garden too. :DWhat the hell are you gonna grow? There's like a a 60 day growing season here.

Tailwind
2/26/2006, 04:08 PM
I think chiles will grow and produce in the short season we have here. Maybe not, but i'm bound to try anyway.

TopDaugIn2000
3/1/2006, 02:08 PM
planted some seeds in an indoor greenhouse on sunday to get them started. yesterday I noticed my cucumbers were already sprouting!!!! I'm so excited!

Fugue
3/1/2006, 02:43 PM
planted some seeds in an indoor greenhouse on sunday to get them started. yesterday I noticed my cucumbers were already sprouting!!!! I'm so excited!

you just can't hide it.

Jimminy Crimson
3/1/2006, 02:47 PM
you just can't hide it.

the cucumber?

:eek: ;)

Fugue
3/1/2006, 02:49 PM
the cucumber?

:eek: ;)

:D
yes, I noticed my cucumber was sprouting also.

Mjcpr
3/1/2006, 02:56 PM
:D
yes, I noticed my cucumber was sprouting also.

That's not a sprout, that's as big as it's going to get.

TopDaugIn2000
3/1/2006, 02:58 PM
PERVS

sooner n houston
3/1/2006, 03:42 PM
Word to the wise, don't plant different varieties of peppers close to each other as they will cross pollinate. You can end up with banana peppers that are hot as jalapeño’s!

proud gonzo
3/1/2006, 03:54 PM
Word to the wise, don't plant different varieties of peppers close to each other as they will cross pollinate. You can end up with banana peppers that are hot as jalapeño’s!

sounds awesome

I'll have to try to break them up a little in our garden... but there's only so much room, I don't figure it'll make much difference anyway.

TopDaugIn2000
3/1/2006, 03:57 PM

COOL!

GottaHavePride
3/1/2006, 04:03 PM

Maybe I'm hoping some of the habanero will rub off on the bell peppers... ;)

I ain't skeered of peppers.

Mjcpr
3/1/2006, 04:07 PM

There is no reason in the world to do this. You can throw some cucumber seeds out on the ground at any time during the summer, squirt some water on there occasionally and have more cucumbers than you know what to do with.
Those things grow like crazy.

TopDaugIn2000
3/1/2006, 04:09 PM
There is no reason in the world to do this. You can throw some cucumber seeds out on the ground at any time during the summer, squirt some water on there occasionally and have more cucumbers than you know what to do with.
Those things grow like crazy.

that's not the only thing I planted. I started everything but the lettuce, raddishes, carrots, and okra. Those are direct sew.

The others all got started in the little mini greenhouse. And I do it cause I really enjoy it!

C&CDean
3/1/2006, 08:09 PM
Judas H. Priest people. You're acting like you've gotta do a bunch of research, and then buy your **** on-line to have a simple garden.

In Oklahoma, in pretty much any soil, you can do very good with tomatoes (Jet Stars grow great and are the best tasting of the varieties that thrive here), peppers (any peppers - we do banana, jalapeno, bell, and several other varieties), potatoes (we're getting close to tater and onion planting season right now), onions, cabbage, radishes, okra, squash (yellow, magda, and zuchini kick butt in our soil), carrots (getting close to carrot and radish time too), and strawberries.

Either order from Burpee, Parks, or other seed store joints, or just go to your local feed store. Shawnee Feeds has tons of great plants.

And for the life of me, why in the hell would anybody plant something you can't eat? Roses? Crepe Myrtles? WTF for? So you can spend money/time watering them? Bah. Plant food.

TopDaugIn2000
3/1/2006, 08:13 PM
When I got home I discovered one of my squarsh plants has sprouted too!!!

Okla-homey
3/1/2006, 08:22 PM
Too bad kudzu don't grow good in Oklahoma. You could cover that backyard in a single summer.

Lots of people down south hate kudzu, but Mrs Homey likes it cuz it can completely conceal an abandoned house trailer, 6 dead cars and a yardful of junk household appliances in just a couple months. Therefore, she says kudzu is the best thing to ever happen to her neck of the woods in SC. She says "Kudzu covers a whole lot of ugly"

TopDaugIn2000
3/1/2006, 08:23 PM
never heard of it

Okla-homey
3/1/2006, 08:59 PM
never heard of it

kudzu can eat a car

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3733/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

kudzu can eat a house

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8711/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzkudzui.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

kudzu can eat a forest

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3733/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Damn tough to kill. You have to pull it out by the root. Approved herbicides are futile. It grows so fast you can actually observe growth if you pay close attention over an hour or so during the height of the growing season in mid-summer. A single planting can cover an acre of ground in a season.

Its also a great example of what can happen when a non-native species is introduced without doing any homework. The stuff was imported from Asia in the late 19th century to be used as ground cover to prevent soil erosion on cleared land and highway right-of-ways. No one imagined it would be so prolific in the SE US climate.

Tailwind
3/1/2006, 09:50 PM
Looks kinda cool to me.

proud gonzo
3/19/2006, 12:30 AM
Judas H. Priest people. You're acting like you've gotta do a bunch of research, and then buy your **** on-line to have a simple garden.

In Oklahoma, in pretty much any soil, you can do very good with tomatoes (Jet Stars grow great and are the best tasting of the varieties that thrive here), peppers (any peppers - we do banana, jalapeno, bell, and several other varieties), potatoes (we're getting close to tater and onion planting season right now), onions, cabbage, radishes, okra, squash (yellow, magda, and zuchini kick butt in our soil), carrots (getting close to carrot and radish time too), and strawberries.

Either order from Burpee, Parks, or other seed store joints, or just go to your local feed store. Shawnee Feeds has tons of great plants.

And for the life of me, why in the hell would anybody plant something you can't eat? Roses? Crepe Myrtles? WTF for? So you can spend money/time watering them? Bah. Plant food.

ACTUALLY, you can make teas and other things from roses/rosehips (as well as soaps).

I was researching so I could see how much stuff costs and how much i'll be able to afford to plant (because i'm poor).

I just ordered 3 rose bushes online...because they don't sell these in stores (at least not around here).

Al Gore
3/19/2006, 12:37 AM
You can set up a veggie stand.....

PhxSooner
3/19/2006, 12:38 AM
We could grow great citrus out here, but our homeowner's association won't let us because it's not "desert" enough. Nuts. My husband's aunt and uncle have so much fruit they give it away to complete strangers. But I heard that watermelons grow well out here, so we might try that in our sad yard.

proud gonzo
3/19/2006, 12:43 AM
We could grow great citrus out here, but our homeowner's association won't let us because it's not "desert" enough. Nuts. My husband's aunt and uncle have so much fruit they give it away to complete strangers. But I heard that watermelons grow well out here, so we might try that in our sad yard.
my uncle used to farm watermelons. ...just a bit of trivia.

GottaHavePride
3/19/2006, 12:48 AM
my uncle used to farm watermelons. ...just a bit of trivia.

And after that it was harvesting pecans. Schoolteachers have no end of cockamamie schemes to make money in the offseason. ;)

proud gonzo
3/19/2006, 12:53 AM
And after that it was harvesting pecans. Schoolteachers have no end of cockamamie schemes to make money in the offseason. ;)
yep... when he was a teacher (science teacher) he also drove the school bus.

he drove a propane truck for a while too. until some lady rear-ended him and he decided maybe that wasn't the best job in the world.

proud gonzo
3/19/2006, 01:02 AM
So far we're going to have 3 hops vines (2 on the back fence, one climbing over the shed), 8 pepper plants, 4 tomato plants, and three rose bushes. I'm also thinking of planting a redbud tree and possible also a cherry blossom and/or peach tree.

PhxSooner
3/19/2006, 01:03 AM
My parents have a redbud in their backyard; really nice tree.

proud gonzo
3/19/2006, 01:05 AM
my dad hates 'em. He dislikes the big leaves--says they're hard to rake up. However, I have no intention of raking any leaves, so I don't think that will be a problem. :D

Al Gore
3/19/2006, 01:05 AM
my uncle used to farm watermelons. ...just a bit of trivia.Did you know coyotes eat watermelons??? They will eat until they bloat up so bad they can't move.....more trivia....

GottaHavePride
3/19/2006, 01:06 AM
And I don't plan on raking them either - I'm'a mow over them with a mulching blade.

proud gonzo
3/19/2006, 01:07 AM
Did you know coyotes eat watermelons??? They will eat until they bloat up so bad they can't move.....more trivia....
...how do you know that? that's hilarious!

Mjcpr
3/19/2006, 01:07 AM
And I don't plan on raking them either - I'm'a mow over them with a mulching blade.

Exactly. Not just good for you, good for the lawn too!

PhxSooner
3/19/2006, 01:09 AM
Did you know coyotes eat watermelons??? They will eat until they bloat up so bad they can't move.....more trivia....
Great. We have a view fence in the backyard, and I saw a coyote walking through the wash yesterday afternoon. Maybe watermelon should be a "no"...

proud gonzo
3/19/2006, 01:10 AM
Exactly. Not just good for you, good for the lawn too!
one of our neighbors in wichita doesn't understand that. She runs outside everytime she sees a leaf in her yard and disposes of it. she sprays all the plants so there aren't any bugs (or birds or anything). She bags all her grass clippings too. and she wonders why the flowers in our yard look better than hers :rolleyes:

Al Gore
3/19/2006, 01:12 AM
A guy I work with told me that and I did not believe him. One day last summer, he took pics of 3 coyotes eating in his garden. After about a half hour, we was able to walk up pretty close to them because their stomachs looked like they were about to explode.....

proud gonzo
3/19/2006, 01:14 AM
weird, dude

Al Gore
3/19/2006, 01:17 AM
Strange indeed....

Okla-homey
3/19/2006, 01:22 AM
For the record, I'd pay money to watch a coyote assplode from too much watermelon.

Al Gore
3/19/2006, 01:23 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://watermelons.ifas.ufl.edu/AnimalPests/coyote-.jpg&imgrefurl=http://watermelons.ifas.ufl.edu/AnimalPests/coyote_damage.htm&h=530&w=800&sz=48&tbnid=YFYFFrhG17oJvM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=142&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcoyotes%2Bwatermelon%26svnum%3D10%26h l%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

PhxSooner
3/19/2006, 01:24 AM
For the record, I'd pay money to watch a coyote assplode from too much watermelon.
Well, come on out here and we'll feed it to them through my fence and watch. We could make it a SO road trip.

Okla-homey
3/19/2006, 01:29 AM
Well, come on out here and we'll feed it to them through my fence and watch. We could make it a SO road trip.

do they have large talons?

PhxSooner
3/19/2006, 01:36 AM
do they have large talons?
Isn't that a little personal?;)

Mjcpr
3/19/2006, 01:37 AM
Forgive him, he's High Def.

GottaHavePride
3/19/2006, 01:40 AM
Damn! One-upped again. I can only manage Mos Def.

BoogercountySooner
3/19/2006, 06:01 AM
Coyotes don't have talons they have claws.

Just sayin:)

Al Gore
3/19/2006, 12:18 PM
do they have large talons?bought them from "Acme"......

exokie
3/19/2006, 12:23 PM
Our yard is butt ugly.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8924/p10100406zp.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10100406zp.jpg)http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4176/p10100414ko.th.jpg (http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10100414ko.jpg)http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1919/p10100426hw.th.jpg (http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10100426hw.jpg)

GHP already ordeed pepper and tomato plants that we'll get in the spring. I've been doing my own research to decide what else to put in the yard. I'm going to turn the whole back corner into a nice garden. tomatoes, peppers, and lots of herbs (and probably raspberries). And the rest is going to be a flower garden. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to plant, but basically it'll be as much as I have money for :D There will definitely be rose bushes though. I just haven't decided which ones i like best. there are so many...

I'm also probably going to add a redbud tree and possibly a flowering cherry tree.

Anyone else planning spring gardening projects?

I'll ask Okla-homey to call in an airstrike. Napalm should do it. You may have to retain the fence!

exokie
3/19/2006, 12:27 PM
Another awesome bush is the Burning Bush. They don't bloom any flowers but are an awesome red in the Fall when thier leaves change! Also the Butterfly bush is nice they bloom a nice flower but they don't grow real thick a Cardinal Bush is similar with nice red blooms.

A less than awesome Bush is the sodbuster who hangs his ten gallon in Crawford.

proud gonzo
4/14/2006, 11:35 AM
http://www.parkseed.com/product_images/45063.jpghttp://www.parkseed.com/product_images/45481.jpghttp://www.parkseed.com/product_images/45475.jpghttp://www.gardenvalley.com/images/roses/gvr_ron/Fragrant-Wave.jpghttp://www.heirloomroses.com/photos/midas_touch-300.jpg

I have all of these in my yard now :D

TopDaugIn2000
4/14/2006, 11:39 AM
I got my soil this week, planting stuff TODAY!!!!!! I can't WAIT!

GottaHavePride
5/10/2006, 11:20 PM
Peppers and tomatoes just went in the ground this afternoon, btw. Hooray!

proud gonzo
5/10/2006, 11:38 PM
pictures to come tomorrow...

TopDaugIn2000
5/11/2006, 08:22 AM
everything I planted is up, but has been stunted by the cool weather and so much rain I think. Squarsh and maters are growin like crazy. And something ate 2 of my 3 cucumber plants over the last 2 days......I"m guessing a squirrel. So I had to replant those yesterday.:mad:
gonna plant okra next week or so.

nmsoonergirl
5/11/2006, 09:12 AM
In spite of my 100 pound bird dog, birds have eaten all my spinach and all my beets.:mad:

I should have gotten a cat.

Tomatoes went in this week, peppers are being hardened and will go in next week. Eating collards and onions from the early planting now, and boy are they yummy. :D

TopDaugIn2000
5/11/2006, 09:13 AM
my lettuce crop is about ready to be picked. and I've had a few strawberries along the way.

proud gonzo
5/15/2006, 04:21 PM
I've got garden pictures! You can't see EVERYTHING but here's our MUCH improved yard so far:
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/1937/garden4ll.jpg

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/3270/labeledgarden3yd.th.jpg (http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=labeledgarden3yd.jpg)
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1935/labeledundertree3cx.th.jpg (http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=labeledundertree3cx.jpg)

we also have a dove nest in our mullberry tree! The little bugger's hard to spot though.
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/357/doveeye6jb.jpg
here's the full sized picture (http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dovecircled5lr.jpg)
here's the dove's butt:
http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/6559/dovebuttjpg3ni.th.jpg (http://img279.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dovebuttjpg3ni.jpg)

and I think I have a new favorite flower. This is my peruvian daffodil blooming:
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7776/daffodil21dr.th.jpg (http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=daffodil21dr.jpg)

IB4OU2
5/15/2006, 04:25 PM
I'll try to get you some pic.s of my wifes gardens. Her roses are doing unbelievably well. Btw, I picked close to a quart of strawberries this weekend from our patch.

proud gonzo
5/15/2006, 04:26 PM
I would plant strawberries, but I'd just want to eat them. and I can't because I'm allergic.

IB4OU2
5/15/2006, 04:34 PM
I would plant strawberries, but I'd just want to eat them. and I can't because I'm allergic.

Sorry to hear it PG......does Iggy or GHP like them? They spread like kudzu at our place.

Your garden's looking good. My wife has made the front yard of house a garden this year on top of her rose gardens, herb gardens, water garden and assorted other gardens.

proud gonzo
5/15/2006, 04:40 PM
Sorry to hear it PG......does Iggy or GHP like them? They spread like kudzu at our place.

Your garden's looking good. My wife has made the front yard of house a garden this year on top of her rose gardens, herb gardens, water garden and assorted other gardens.

yeah--Iggy loves them and so does my mom. If you need to get some strawberries or some plants off your hands, I'll gladly take them :D

IB4OU2
5/15/2006, 04:50 PM
We've got plenty, come on up!

NormanPride
5/15/2006, 04:54 PM
Good job, pg! I wish I had a yard to cultivate... :( Not having a yard is what sucks about living in an apartment.

1stTimeCaller
6/1/2006, 11:01 AM
the first pic is blurry but my cucumber plant is ginormous
http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3C3%3B2%3B2%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D3267%3E63%3B%3E%3B% 3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3233798789%3C75nu0mrj

http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3C3%3B2%3B2%7Ffp33%3A%3Enu%3D3267%3E63%3B%3E%3 B%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3233798787694nu0mrj

http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3C3%3B2%3B2%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D3267%3E63%3B%3E%3B% 3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3233798789%3C7%3Anu0mrj
little eggplant

http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3C3%3B2%3B2%7Ffp345%3Enu%3D3267%3E63%3B%3E%3B% 3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3233798789%3C86nu0mrj
protector of the garden

BeetDigger
6/1/2006, 11:36 AM
In spite of my 100 pound bird dog, birds have eaten all my spinach and all my beets.:mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

BeetDigger
6/1/2006, 11:39 AM
the first pic is blurry but my cucumber plant is ginormous
http://images1.snapfish.com/346%3C3%3B2%3B2%7Ffp33%3A%3Enu%3D3267%3E63%3B%3E%3 B%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3233798787694nu0mrj

Post reported.

TopDaugIn2000
6/1/2006, 11:43 AM
Everything seems to be growing well. My cucumbers are still REALLY small. They got eaten or something a few weeks ago and I had to replant. Now a tree in my neighbor's yard has filled out and is shading them too much I think. They aren't getting enough sun. Hopefully they'll be ok.
Going to pick my first zucchini tonight or tomorrow. YEA! Lots of small zucchinis and yellow squaRshes. Also a few green maters.
I've been eating strawberries, raddishes, and lettuce for a while now.

Mjcpr
6/1/2006, 11:44 AM
Everything seems to be growing well. My cucumbers are still REALLY small. They got eaten or something a few weeks ago and I had to replant. Now a tree in my neighbor's yard has filled out and is shading them too much I think. They aren't getting enough sun. Hopefully they'll be ok.
Going to pick my first zucchini tonight or tomorrow. YEA! Lots of small zucchinis and yellow squaRshes. Also a few green maters.
I've been eating strawberries, raddishes, and lettuce for a while now.

Little Bunny Foo Foo,
Hopping through the forest
Scooping up the field mice
And boppin' 'em on the head

BeetDigger
6/1/2006, 12:07 PM
Our cucumbers are still REALLY small.

Sincerely,

1TC's Hummer Neighbor's

:texan:

proud gonzo
6/1/2006, 12:50 PM
Sorry, PG, but this looks like a POW camp and the prisoners' little veggie garden;)

that's a pretty good comparison :D

GottaHavePride
6/1/2006, 01:05 PM
Sorry, PG, but this looks like a POW camp and the prisoners' little veggie garden;)

Actually it looks almost respectable now - the plants have taken off like crazy. ;)

proud gonzo
6/1/2006, 02:22 PM
yeah--that really wasnt' a good picture. i hadn't planted much when i took it